Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E12: Quarter Finals 1

• Start Topic

G-Force: No, please. (The youngest is only 10! So? Jackie Evancho was 10 when she was on and she was a hell of a lot better than these tweeny-boppers.) -- Okay, I wrote that before they started singing. -- Good god, that was painful. Singing a song all about yourselves isn't helping. ("Uh-huh, Uh-huh" just made me think of Pretty Fly for a White Guy. Which is at least a fun song.)

Greg Morton: ...is wearing a Pac-Man suit, which is nerdtastic. 🤓 Otherwise I can just repeat my comment from his last performance. He's good at what he does, but him and a microphone doing a series of unrelated movie lines isn't much of a show.

Carmen Carter: I like this song. Took me until the first chorus to figure out what it was.

Emerald Belles: So much screaming. Why? As far as I could tell it looked basically the same as their other performances.

Sophie Pecora: No, please again. So her whole package was her singing a song. Why did she need to come on stage and sing a song? Second time a judge referred to the person's intro package. Are we no longer pretending we're supposed to judge them on their talent?

Messoudi Brothers: Ugh, why do shows have to repeatedly show the moment someone does something gnarly to a body part? (American Ninja Warrior is even worse for this. How many times do I have to see Travis Rosen break his ankle?) Glad the guy was okay. I can't imagine having a whole person balanced on the back of my neck. The guy in the middle on that last move looked like he was in pain...

Voices of Service: Uh...they can still sing. I was kinda bored. And the "judging" again was  about their service more than their performance.

Ansley Burns: Wild Card! I knew it! Simon's shenanigans are so obvious. (She's 13? She looks younger than that.) She's pretty adorable, I'll give her that.

Alex Dowis: I actually sat and watched the whole thing without doing something else at the same time. That's high praise. But I'm kind of a science nerd, too. So shut up, Simon. Science museums are cool.

Luke Islam: He reminds me of a less annoying and more talented young Manny from Modern Family. God, Julianne is annoying.

Bir Khalsa: Ugh, please, why? Oh, god, they added singing. (Well, for certain definitions of singing...). And screaming. Ugh. I had to stop watching when they pulled out the chain saw.

Kodi Lee: Wow.

• Love 6

What a pleasure to watch not trying to guess with precision when the Golden Buzzer will be activated.  It was also a pleasure to not have nearly the level of edit manipulation that we have until the show goes live.  There were still shenanigans...

If G-Force wasn't tracked (not singing live) I am a monkey's uncle.

I really like Morton, but he badly missed on a couple of the voices, especially the Joker.  The constraints of time harm him.  The pace with which he transitions makes it somewhat difficult to appreciate him, as opposed to concentrating on who he is mimicking and the delineating the words he says.  He was given the worst possible slot (2nd overall act).  But, he sure got a break being placed in this super weak grouping.  I think, and hope, he'll get through.

Military singers?  Unfair advantage to be overwhelmed by that sterling choir behind them.  

Little girl barely as big as the guitar she plays?  A wasted slot.  

Don't get me started on Wild Card child.  Of course she was drowned out by tracked back-ups. 

Again with an entirely pre-programmed CGI routine?  Sorry, that is not performance.  

I think Bir Khalsa and Kodi are most likely to win the vote.  

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

I was underwhelmed all night.  (Just couldn't even look at Bir Khalsa.) 

How many acts are going through? 

Wikipedia says 7 out of the 12 in each quarter final episode.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I have been supporting Voices of Service because their first audition was so beautiful. I actually think they would benefit from another completely a cappella performance with beautiful harmonies, as opposed to going bigger and bigger with backing tracks and backup choirs. 

I liked Sophie better than usual tonight, especially compared to G Force and Ansley. I really liked Luke and, of course, LOVED Kodi. 

• Love 3

I don't know if I was the only one but my sound tonight was so wonky I kept having to turn it up and down.

Was pleasantly surprised by Luke - IMO the best of the young singers.  Liked Alex Dowis and Kodi Lee. 

I couldn't understand a word from wild-card girl except swing.  She was OK I guess but not great.  Hated G Force (again) and didn't get the appeal of Sophie Pecora (again.)  Again wasn't that impressed by the Emerald Belles - their routines all look the same and since I hate "danger" acts was not impressed by Bir Khalsa. 

I agree that Voices of Service should not have had to compete with the chorus - they were much more impressive in their other performances.  Between them, Carmen Carter, Greg Morton and the Messoudi brothers there was no one I would hate to see again but don't think any of them will win so it's pretty much a toss-up which ones get eliminated.

• Love 2

Ironic how tonight was the live shows and I was at my most comatose during most of the performances.

GForce - Watching them perform is like seeing a kid with an elaborate science fair project pretending that his parents didn't do most of the work for him, except in this case, the parent is Simon. My hopes were up that they were switching their musical style to a punk edge upon seeing that one of the girls had "AGT" shaved into her hair, which has been so offensive this year, that I'd consider it a swear word. I thought the song was decent, despite the group being rather unlikable, although their lack of authenticity is hard to ignore. Can we just fast forward to the part where they split up to have "fulfilling solo careers" that never materialize?

Greg Morton - Some parts were pretty good and funny, but I'm certainly not clamoring for more. There's nothing much he can do besides a random highlight reel of various movie quotes, which begs the question of how he'd fill an hour with such material. By the time he's doing voices for that long, probably imitating several lengthy scenes of one movies, people may wonder why they're not just watching the actual movie. Then again, people nowadays find legitimate entertainment in reaction videos, viewing other people watch/listen to things while nodding their head like "that's cool", so anything's possible.

Carmen Carter - Did she have to dye her hair blonde just because of the dark stage lighting? That was my main thought, since the performance itself was rather unmemorable, to the point where not being able to see her at all would have been preferable. Her vocals sounded kind of under-powered, although that's likely due to the microphone not being loud enough.

Emerald Belles - I'm currently in the middle of a lawsuit with my boss for making me work on a national holiday, that obviously being Emerald Belle Day. Anyway, with all of the criticism Howie gave them before, they came back with a vengeance and did the same kicking routine as the previous several times. If they're going to act like doing that sole (heh) move is so intense, I'd be more impressed if the girls were in a repressive religious cult, since their floor-length apparel would actually make the kicking difficult. Why was Howie cheering for them after repeating the same routine? They barely tweaked the formula.

Sophie Pecora - The impartial and unaffiliated NBC joint venture with Simon Cowell's SYCO Entertainment editing just had to play an entirely different song of Sophie's for her video package, so they must want her to keep advancing. I want to give her the benefit of the doubt on her rapid fire delivery at the end of her songs being due to scheduling conflicts from the producers, so she only has a few seconds to "sayeverythingasquicklyasshecan" but it's unfortunately on purpose. Does she have anything to sing about that isn't about pre-teen disillusionment? You'd think she might get mad at the audience clapping at the end, for it ruins the dour tone she just set.

Messoudi Brothers - Seeing their physiques makes me want to abstain from processed foods, at least until their chiseled bodies are off the screen a painful three minutes later. It seemed like half of the act was just posing and tearing clothing off, and then they only did a few moves. Regardless, it was still one of the better acts of the night and they can serve as New Year's inspriation for #bodygoals until I come to my senses on January 2nd. (going by Japan's timezone, of course)

Voices of Service - I guess all of the pandering is because they're boring without the patriotism and don't want the judges' Xs to be deployed. Very tiresome. We must give them our thanks for providing us the right to skip their future performances.

Ansley Burns - Doesn't the term "wildcard" imply there being some kind of surprise? Everyone saw it coming that she'd be brought back. The vocals didn't sound too great; how appropriate to pick the song "Swinging", since she's hanging by a thread. With her pouting over near-elimination, the patriotism, and endless sob stories, it's easy to see how America's voters have their hands full.

Alex Dowis - The painting he did in the video package was a lot more interesting to watch than his actual performance. The music choices in these kinds of things always gives me intense second-hand embarrassment, as if they're trying to insist that the theme is inspirational. Blacklight El Barto's drawings were fairly hard for me to see until the canvas was zoomed out, but perhaps imperfect vision is some sort of bodily protective mechanism after too much AGT exposure. Overall, the colors really don't look good on television, which is unfortunate.

Luke Islam - He has talent, though it's depressing how he's only 12 and already so overweight. Surely, that can only be hindering his future Broadway career.

Bir Khalsa - If they didn't mention that there was a member change, I probably wouldn't have noticed. Although they do the same kind of thing every time, I thought it was the best act of the night. Despite its redundancy, the blindfold + salt combo is so funny to watch.

Kodi Lee - Why was Terry holding his hand over his heart like the national anthem was being played? Kodi's pronunciation isn't that unintelligible. Of course, the backstory is the main attraction, so within those parameters, it was a good performance. Otherwise...ehh, it was alright.

The judges were in top form tonight, for I skipped over all of their commentary and never have they been more enjoyable. All in all, the show was its usual mediocre mixed bag of a few good performances and a lot of "why were they sent through?!" quality acts. Can't wait to see them triumph over common sense and advance tomorrow night.

Edited by Neet
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

America's Got Talent night is when I throw my Alcoholics Anonymous sobriety chip in the garbage and consume amounts of alcohol that would kill Seabiscuit. I don't actually drink, but I would really like to forget ever watching this show. Weekly nod to viewing pain aside, this week's show wasn't as bad as usual, though there wasn't really much good stuff either. What pitiful standards. It seems like every week I look back over my post and think "Damn, I sound like such a jerk" - that's the only kind of fun I can derive from a boring show, I suppose.

G-Force: Seeing the posters of girl groups in the video package reminds me of a few months ago when my Mom got me front row tickets to a present day Spice Girls concert to help me lose weight - being that close to 44 year old Mel B made for an instant appetite suppressant 🤢. I think the sets that they build for the acts in this round are so embarrassing. That aside, it was nice to see some fellow medical school graduates also being reduced to doing manicures for a living (They're actors? Nevermind 😢). I don't know how or why this act continues to advance, as everyone on this forum hates what they do, unless there will be a large amount of middle aged weirdos voting for them, I doubt they'll go on.

Greg Morton - Greg continues to prove that movies were better, the air was cleaner, the food tasted better among other impossible to validate claims of nostalgic superiority, though I would imagine a fair amount of people who might go to his show wouldn't have seen the movies he is referring to, though imagining Jackie Fabulous without makeup immediately brings Shrek to mind. I noticed he butchered the Donkey (Shrek) quote ("In the morning, I'm gonna make waffles" / instead of "In the morning, I'm making waffles"). He could've butchered other things, but I haven't watched most of the movies he is quoting, though I'm familiar with them. I don't know where he could take it from here, even though it was fairly amusing.

Carmen Carter - Her performance allowed us to take a brief trip back in time before smartphones were invented, as nobody in sight had picked theirs up to vote for this boring shit. When I used to do video reviews for American Idol and proclaim with full conviction that these kinds of acts wouldn't succeed, I would get criticized, as if I'd eat my words and have to begrudgingly present an obese soul musician with a platinum album certification. Speaking of "soul", upon hearing the first note, I could feel my spirit float to the ceiling as my body lay as lifeless as Pharaoh Khufu on the couch.

Emerald Belles - I may act salty to everyone on this show, as well as being terrified of the water, but I would happily drown in the sea of 18 year old cuties 🤩. Unfortunately I am not doe-eyed enough to be fooled into thinking the act was good, it looked like an all girls karate class if none of them took it seriously - possibly worse than their other performances, so they'll probably get eliminated.

Sophie Pecora - Another song that was rhyming like poetry until a semi breakdown into rap that didn't rhyme. If her song material is supposed to rub off on the crowd, I guess total apathy is pretty close to the depressing vibe she is trying to convey. If she ends up winning, I guess she won't have anything depressing to write about, unless she can somehow spin that into being an unfortunate event. So boring.

Messoudi Brothers - I must say their painted-on muscles looked pretty convincing today, though I'll leave my comments at that, as my medium speed typing is causing a knot to form in my chest. The act itself didn't seem that different from before, though the act of putting a blindfold on to not see the stage was a nod to the average pained AGT viewer. I know with 2 arms and 2 legs, the act is naturally going to be limited, but this one just seemed boring. Them being complimented by the female judges made me feel bad for them, as I consider Julianne to be filling the role of an annoying Mother and I thought Gabrielle looked very manly today (I don't know why, especially since she usually looks like solidified Nesquik).

Voices of Service - I cannot stand the inability to separate their work from their act, especially since the act itself is boring, but everyone is standing up and cheering for their story.

Ansley Burns - I am so amnesiac, I forgot she got eliminated last week, so I didn't realize she was back until she mentioned it. After about 30 seconds of her performance, it was confirmed why she went home the first time, cause it seemed so painfully amateur, I don't know who would actually support this.

Alex Dowis - It's good for what it is, but the entire genre is so boring, anyone who could sit through a full length show of it is superhuman. I do have to compliment his ability to create nonsensical shapes out of thin air (apparently they were the "Moon" and the "Earth", which are comprised of frisbee esque shapes, not round - update: the moon isn't real 🤪).

Luke Islam - The closeup shots of him walking in a weird way in the video package made him look like a live action Donkey Kong, which was pretty unflattering. I thought his vocal performance was pretty good though; much better than what singers usually deliver.

Bir Khalsa - If they didn't say there was a new guy in there, I don't think anyone would've noticed, because I know I wouldn't have. This was easily the best act of the night, since the danger actually looked dangerous and like something could actually go wrong. It's ironic that right now the giant can get clubbed and attacked, yet eventually his act will consist of walking 10 feet without a cane - not that I think such a thing is funny, but a lot of people probably imagine that being so big is just a laugh and mildly inconvenient.

Kodi Lee - The song was pretty good, but I am in no way swayed by these kinds of acts, as if I should be clapping extra loud or talking in a special "little kid" voice because he has autism. The fact that everyone is a fan of him 99% because he is autistic makes me not like the act "as a whole" (quotes, because it sounds like Gonzo insulting me 😜). The act itself is good, but nobody being able to separate the two is just annoying.

I guess there will be another post of me complaining tomorrow, even though it seems like I fumed myself out with today's post - now my neighbors know why they see smoke coming out of my window, despite not having a chimney.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Neet said:

Bir Khalsa - If they didn't mention that there was a member change, I probably wouldn't have noticed.

There was a member change? I was only vaguely listening; not closely enough to decipher the words through the accent.

6 hours ago, Neet said:

The judges were in top form tonight, for I skipped over all of their commentary and never have they been more enjoyable.

I covered my ears a few times just to muffle them, and actually muted my TV once while Julianne was talking (after Kodi, I think; it was definitely toward the end. My irritation with them was building over the course of the show).

6 hours ago, InternetToughGuy said:

Ansley Burns - I am so amnesiac, I forgot she got eliminated last week, so I didn't realize she was back until she mentioned it.

Maybe her hair was different or something but I didn't even remember who she was until she started talking. Maybe Simon's "Stop! Do something else!" routine got me annoyed enough to block her out of my mind.

6 hours ago, InternetToughGuy said:

I guess there will be another post of me complaining tomorrow, even though it seems like I fumed myself out with today's post - now my neighbors know why they see smoke coming out of my window, despite not having a chimney.

Um...even if you have a chimney, if smoke is coming out of your windows, you might want to get that checked.

I voted for Messoudi Brothers and Alex Dowis. On a very boring night, they bored me the least.

I still think Sophie needs a good therapist. It was also unfair that her intro package included another (crappy) song.

They should probably just cut to the chase and give the title to Kodi. <yawn>

• Love 2

I enjoyed Greg Morton again.....but dude that SUIT!    I couldn't help but be distracted by it.   I think he goes through.

I cut the Massoudi Brothers video off midway because the posing and stripping isn't an act......unless they go to work at Chippendale's.

Carmen Carter's performance lacked something......a lead singer.

Whether Sophie Pecora goes on or not......she will continue writing and making videos and she'll have her followers and I'm sure she'll be seen on TV.   Like on the Ellen show or something.

Is Simon Cowell going to write that "killer song" for G-Force?   I found his critique of them a typical "time to discourage the voters" tone completely flip flopping from his earlier "being annoyed by groups who are told what to say" stance.  He sure didn't mind when their song was about HIM 

Young Ansley looked as though she was the competition for little Justin Randall (Timberlake)....on "Star Search" back in the early nineties.....and she lost.

Yeah I guess we'll have to see the melon smashing again.....but where can this thing possibly go?    I can't imagine buying a ticket to it.....it's just kind of something you see at a fair.

Kodi Lee could win the whole show I guess because in these times I guess it's the right thing to cheer for.   But I was a bit bothered by his bugging eyes.....I know of his autism and it's amazing and all......but still.

Didn't watch the dancers.....why should I?   Though I'm sure I'll catch the weekend rebroadcast and see the whole show.

• Love 1

GForce. I wonder if Simon was reading how much everyone hates this act since he changed his tune with them this week. While the act was obviously professionally choreographed and produced, I tried to imagine them as The Little Girl BTS, but I just couldn’t make it work. Plus it was creepy. I also couldn’t understand anything they were saying. I dislike them for so many reasons.

Voice guy. I don’t think he’s all that, his voice doesn’t change all that much, it's up to us to recognize the famous line. But I relate to his love for movies and hope he can get a job doing something in the industry. Maybe an announcer for some show or something. He seems like a nice guy.

Dancing high school girls in white. I still like them. Too funny that Howie does too now. I wonder what the other kids in their little high school look like since these are sort of Stepford Girls, which is a little weird when I think about that. If all of their friends and family vote for them, they are a shoo-in to go through.

Talk singing girl with glasses and guitar. I stopped what I was doing (because I was just listening, not watching), turned to the tv and said, “You suck.” And to repeat what Julianne said: “And that’s all I’ve got to say.”

Three hand-balancing brothers: Gotta agree with Gabrielle and Julianne. Nice on so many levels. I figured Simon wouldn’t like them because my guess is he’s thinking, “I don’t look that good and this show is suppose to be about me, all about me, and these three are making me look like a soft, grubby ill-dressed slob. Get rid of them so I stay the center of attention.” Me likee. Me also likee the idea of getting rid of Simon.

The 13-year-old wild card singer. It cheered me up to see the clip of her crying after being eliminated. I can’t stand her voice when she’s talking. I hate it even more when she is “singing.” I’m hoping America makes her cry again and sends her home. I also can’t understand the words when she “sings,” not that it makes any difference. Simon thinks she “a little fighter.” I think she’s a little PITA. Tied with Talk Singing Girl With Glasses for Worst Act of the Night.

The light painting guy ... he was spray painting graffiti-type stuff in his intro. Is this Banksy? I liked him. At least he has talent, which is saying something for this show.

Oh, nuts, Howie stole my Banksy line.

Broadway boy singer. Started out sort of weak but got better. I like him, plus he probably will have a career after this show. Which reminds me I forgot all about the military singers. Maybe because they turned into a choir this time. Broadway boy yes, service choir, no.

Danger act. I watched part of this for the first time, I don’t like danger acts. I still don’t. But I give them a lot of credit for the crazy stuff they were doing.

Kodi the GB singer boy. He could win this and I’d be okay with that.

Question of the day: Can tear-away shirts be put back together and reused, or are they one-time-use only? Asking for a friend.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Sounder said:

I enjoyed Greg Morton again.....but dude that SUIT!    I couldn't help but be distracted by it.   I think he goes through.

I've actually seen that suit in a store (or the jacket, at least; no idea if it was made by the same company). I forget where it was, but there was a storm trooper jacket, too, and I think another I can't remember.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sounder said:

I enjoyed Greg Morton again.....but dude that SUIT!    I couldn't help but be distracted by it.  

This made me realize I don't pay attention to what anyone is wearing. I remember Morton's suit had little "things" all over it, but paid no more attention than that to it.

I do somehow remember what the three hand-balancing boys were and weren't wearing though. For some reason, I can still picture them in my mind's eye.

• LOL 1
6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Um...even if you have a chimney, if smoke is coming out of your windows, you might want to get that checked.

I was thinking my post was so long that no one would read it and I wouldn't have to explain that - typing for an hour and a half made me too weary to fix it 🤐

• LOL 3

Simon tried to put together a couple tween/teen girl franken-groups on the American version of X-Factor so I sort of understood what he was going for in G Force. The issue is they need one really strong singer to be the lead within the group, and they clearly don't have that. Almost certainly toast.

Greg Morton, as someone upthread mentioned it's strange because he's very good at a wide range of voice...but the transitions don't make a whole lot of sense and it's so rapid fire to fit the time constraints that he's hurt, maybe more than most acts. I'll say he's either in twitter save threesome or the Judges pick twosome at the end.

Emerald Belles, they are excellent at what they do (although I'm always biased against dance groups that have more than 10-12). I just really doubt they'll get the votes...although you only have to have a higher vote total than two or three acts to make the twitter trio.

I skipped the GB girl. Apparently she has a sizable Youtube following that AGT never references...so I think she probably finds her way into the Top 7.

I also skipped the chosen one, Broadway boy and the older soul singer, and just barely listened to the WC crying girl. I'm hoping all four acts will get eliminated, but AGT history says that the chosen one, and probably the Broadway Boy (yet another GB winner) and the older backup singer lady will probably get through.

Hand Balance brothers are impressive, and the Multimedia Paint guy is also interesting to watch...which means they will both probably be eliminated tonight.

Voices of Service: Picked the wrong member to start (almost acapella) but recovered pretty well. They have to make it through for sure.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1

I want to like Greg Morton, but something about his act is just off. His dialogue in a lot of the impressions was wrong, which cheapens it, and as somebody mentioned above, the time constraint forces him to rush. I do think he's talented and could/should have a career in voice acting, but I don't think this is the venue for him.

I thought Sophie Pecora was better this week: her song had easily identifiable verses and a chorus, and she held back on the speak-singing. But I think it's super unfair that her intro package was just another song. She basically got twice as much time as everybody else.

For all Simon's "the backing track is overwhelming you" nonsense with Ansley Burns, he had nothing to say about the awful arrangement that completely swallowed her in this round. I really don't know how she gets through, unless the up and down of her auditions has endeared a sizable portion of the audience to her.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, InternetToughGuy said:

I was thinking my post was so long that no one would read it and I wouldn't have to explain that - typing for an hour and a half made me too weary to fix it 🤐

I always read your posts. It's much better than doing work. 😉

• Love 1

I noticed Julianne's make-up person is now painting Gabby's face and shoulders, lol.

Greg Morton puts a smile on my face. I didn't recognize a few voices/movies but I really like him and I got a kick out of his suit.

I really like the spray paint guy, his work is entertaining to watch.

The girls that kick are just a cheer leading squad.

The girl with the guitar, no just no. I don't get it!

GForce ^^ (also, no way were they singing live). 

The 3 strong guys are good but it's the same thing every time. And what's up with Simon and a tank full of crocodiles?

I hope the kid that loves Broadway makes it one day.

Voices of Service, I loved there intro package. Thank you for expressing the way I feel about my flag and Country! I'm proud to say I come from a family of Army veterans and I'm a proud mother of a active duty United States Marine. I thank you for your service and what you are doing to help the men and women that have fought for the freedom our flag represents, and even though I like them I'm not sure if there act is entertaining enough for Vegas, it's kind of boring.

The danger act was cra-cra with the cucumber and chainsaw. I like them but I fear for them because they have to keep making it more crazy dangerous, or add some crocodiles lol.

Kodi, I work at a middle school in Special Ed with low functioning, nonverbal kids with Autism and it's exhausting and I only work 6 hours a day so Kudos to any hands on parent with a ASD child, it's a long road for these parents. It's not like Kodi will ever be able to live on his own his mother will be his caretaker until she's too old or unable to any longer. After saying all of that I don't think he's the best singer they have or any of the singers that performed tonight are and I would rather see the spray paint guy or Greg Morton get put through over any of them.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I always read your posts. It's much better than doing work. 😉

Bless you; I always think people will just see "posted by ITG" and go "That's the insane guy again" and ignore it, since I have to pad out my posts with stupidity due to lack of actual commentary.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Them panning to Terry during Kodi's performance was the best part of the entire two hours.

Was it just me, or did they pan to the audience a lot less?

Because if you have to fake an audience reaction in the audition rounds, because the act isn't good enough to get a real one, maybe the show should pay attention to the words I typed between the commas just now.

I get it; some acts do better as a live act, and they're working with the best of what they have--but I suspect that's how Simon was able to read the room so quickly on some of the acts.  He saw the actual audience reactions, and could start adapting.

I didn't always share Terry's enthusiasm, but I respect him for trying hard to take us with him in enjoying the acts.

And thanks, everyone, for reminding me that I didn't miss too much when I FF'd; I was pretty sure I'd like what I liked.

The girls that kick are just a cheer leading squad.

Usually I would take this as a criticism, but in at least one of the photos, I got the feeling they were literally a dance/cheer team.  They were good, but they also have the oft-mentioned challenge of splitting the money/performance fees.  "Congratulations!  This will pay for your college!  Textbooks!  If you finance them!"  (It's still money, just not as life-changing.)

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, marketdoctor said:

I didn't always share Terry's enthusiasm, but I respect him for trying hard to take us with him in enjoying the acts.

I like Terry and his dancing but other than that he doesn't do much. When I started watching Tara was host and of course she had her run way walk at the beginning of each show but she also introduced the judges something I've noticed Terry doesn't do. And it seemed like she had more backstage time before and after each act.

GForce again, this time first and with a rightfully dissing judge's comment from Simon, so I have faith that they'll be sent home.  I hope Ansley and Guitar Glasses Girl go home too.  Of all of tonight's singers, only Kodi Lee and Luke Islam deserve to go through.

• Love 1

-I almost felt like it was child abuse when I watched G-Force. They were terrible. The only one who was kind of honest with them was Simon. It was a terrible song. The kids can't sing, but the other judges seemed to just want to build them up.

-I like Greg Morton. I don't think this was his best performance.  I finally looked him up.  He has a Wikipedia page and an IMDB page. He has been doing cartoon voices for years. 

-Carman Carter.  The song just bored me.  I don't think she's a great singer. At least it didn't come out in this performance.

- I can't remember the name of the bland dance troop - the ones dressed in white.  They are forgettable. I think they get worse with every performance. They couldn't even stay together on this one. I remember only two out of the four judges liked them in their last audition, yet here they are. 

-All of Sophie's songs sound the same.  I have to admit, I got tired of her song and fast forwarded though it.

-The three strong man brothers. They did impressive feats of strength. The downside was, I felt like I was watching strippers do an act. Gabrielle looked like she was ready shove dollar bills down their pants.  

- Voices of Service: I thought they sang well.  That's all I have to say about them.

- Why the hell would little Ansley Burns sing this song?  It was not performed well.  What was Simon talking about "she agreed to come back"? Was she not going to come back? 

- Alex is a talented painter. I don't know how long I could sit around and watch him paint. I think most people were good with 30 minutes of Bob Ross. I kind of faded away at the end - and that was only about 3 minutes. 

- I didn't catch this next kid's name.  My mind was still wandering after the painting guy. I didn't like the song. The kid made it difficult to understand the words. I don't know if having the mic placed that high did him any favors. 

- I hate danger acts. More salt in the eyes. I'm out. On to the next act.

- I don't think Kodi sang that well this time around.  Pretty impressive though.  I couldn't sit through his act either. 

Edited by Commando Cody
  • Love 2

Sorry Bir Khalsa fans, but I was very glad to see Bir Khalsa go.  It’s surprising to me they made it this far.  Guess I don’t like death-defying acts with blindfolded people smashing watermelons with sharp, pointed objects narrowly missing someone’s face.  It harrowing stupidity and not entertaining to me at all.  Thankfully, they are good at what they do.

• Love 1

something that I don't understand - the  Massoudi Brothers perform, take off their shirts, and the female judges comment, cheer, and call them "sexy."   But if a female act was scantily-clad and the male judges cheered and called them "sexy", it would be seen as offensive and/or creepy.  

• Love 2
On 8/24/2019 at 8:27 PM, tinkerbell said:

something that I don't understand - the  Massoudi Brothers perform, take off their shirts, and the female judges comment, cheer, and call them "sexy."   But if a female act was scantily-clad and the male judges cheered and called them "sexy", it would be seen as offensive and/or creepy.  

Especially when the two female judges are married with one of their husband's having been on the show as a guest judge.

• Love 1