Type keyword(s) to search

WWDITS: The Cast and Crew Topic!

• Start Topic

We just discovered Toast of London on Netflix, which not only stars Matt Berry but is co-written by him. It's hilarious. I won't bother to tell you what it's about. Just watch it.

I wish there were a thread for it but I'm too lazy to create one.

There are 3 seasons of it, the first one being from 2015. We've watched Season 1. So glad we still have two seasons in front of us.

• Love 6

We were watching Thor: Ragnarok, and there's a scene where Korg (Taika Waititi) is discussing various weapons with Thor.  Korg holds up an odd, three-pointed spear and says it might be useful against three vampires at once, if they're all huddled together.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, HotRats2112 said:

The IT Crowd.  Matt Berry at his absolute best.  Right from the first second he appears on the screen in S2. 

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace too.  I believe it actually launched Berry's career along with Richard Ayoade (either that or Mighty Boosh with is pretty fun too, they came out around the same time).

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Matt K said:

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace too.  I believe it actually launched Berry's career along with Richard Ayoade (either that or Mighty Boosh with is pretty fun too, they came out around the same time).

Darkplace is incredibly fun.  Mighty Boosh too.  They all came out around the same time. 2003-4.  I just finished the first season of Year of the Rabbit.  That was also really funny. Sadly, in one of my favorite shows of all time, Community, the Matt Berry episode sucked. 

I'm sure this has been mentioned previously, but I didn't see it in this topic so I figured I'd post it here.

I have no idea why it took me this long to notice, but Mark Proksch who plays Colin Robinson also played Nate in The Office. To me, he doesn't look like the same person at all, but I recognized his voice after watching The Office this weekend.

Visual comparison:

image.png.8ccc9ddefd882c56261e840d780da82c.png

image.png.a0d939de4deb5b49f31c580de392b70c.png

I apologize if this is obvious, but I figured I'd post the difference because it's pretty dramatic to me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Watching MiB: International because there's not much else on, and it's not as bad as the reviews would have you believe. Anyway, up pops Kayvan Novak. Actually had three different parts, two as voice overs playing CGI aliens. Which made me check IMDB and he's actually done a lot of voice acting.

• Useful 3
On 5/11/2020 at 4:36 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I've been watching this and her voice was so familiar, but I couldn't quite place it. About 4 eps in, they  mention her Greek heritage and she says something like "I'm the real thing." And I went, "Nooo! It can't be Nadja." Then she says, "I'm just going to walk over here." in her Nadja voice and I knew it had to be her. Did some snooping and I'm thrilled she's hosting The Big Flower Fight.

There was a lukewarm review I read (can't remember where) that compared it unfavorably to GBBO, but I wanted to watch anyway (especially during lockdown). Glad I did. It's actually fun. And Nadja!

• Love 3
(edited)

So it turns out Colin Robinson (Mark Proksch) has been trolling local news stations for years as a motivational yo-yo enthusiast.  He found his way on to the broadcast and then just flubbed everything.  And listen to some of the lines he uses... Amazing.  For example, he says he wears suspenders because he is absolutely terrified of belts.

Edited by HotRats2112
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 5/5/2020 at 9:18 AM, Matt K said:

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace too.  I believe it actually launched Berry's career along with Richard Ayoade...

I haven't managed to find this on any streaming platform. I've looked in all the obvious and non-obvious places. It might just be that it isn't out there! (Not everything is, despite the fact that it usually seems like everything is.) Actually one place it just occurred to me to look is Adult Swim, which I'll do later, but in the meantime, if anyone has a lead on where the show can be found, I'll appreciate it.

5 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I haven't managed to find this on any streaming platform. I've looked in all the obvious and non-obvious places. It might just be that it isn't out there! (Not everything is, despite the fact that it usually seems like everything is.) Actually one place it just occurred to me to look is Adult Swim, which I'll do later, but in the meantime, if anyone has a lead on where the show can be found, I'll appreciate it.

I believe you need to either find it on YouTube or sail the seas to get it now a days.  I'm pretty certain there's no official way to watch it online.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, HotRats2112 said:

So it turns out Colin Robinson (Mark Proksch) has been trolling local news stations for years as a motivational yo-yo enthusiast.  He found his way on to the broadcast and then just flubbed everything.  And listen to some of the lines he uses... Amazing.  For example, he says he wears suspenders because he is absolutely terrified of belts.

OMG, that was so amazingly cringy and energy-sucking to watch. The guy is perfect in his role. 

• Love 2
On 6/1/2020 at 8:15 AM, HotRats2112 said:

He was on the first season of Better Call Saul. On the show podcast, Vince Gilligan talked about seeing these videos online and he was laughing so hard he couldn't talk. 

Mark was also great on The Office as Nate the maintenance worker.  

• Love 1

Colin Robinson (Mark Proksch) is also in On Cinema with Tim Heidecker (Tim & Eric).  It's strange humor, but I love it.  Another great show with Richard Ayoade is Man to Man with Dean Learner.  It has Matt Holness (Garth Marenghi) and there's a great video with Matt Berry in it.  I think these guys are so great and I'm just head over heels for Matt Berry. 

• Love 3
On 5/5/2020 at 12:47 PM, HotRats2112 said:

I just finished the first season of Year of the Rabbit.  That was also really funny. Sadly, in one of my favorite shows of all time, Community, the Matt Berry episode sucked. 

Where can Year of the Rabbit be found? I found something on IFC's streaming app, but it was just trailers for it, not the actual episodes.

On 6/6/2020 at 4:06 AM, Milburn Stone said:

Where can Year of the Rabbit be found? I found something on IFC's streaming app, but it was just trailers for it, not the actual episodes.

It’s available on the UK Channel 4 website. And it doesn’t appear to be region locked, but you do need to register an account. 
https://www.channel4.com

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

It’s available on the UK Channel 4 website. And it doesn’t appear to be region locked, but you do need to register an account. 
https://www.channel4.com

Thank you, @Ceindreadh. Since writing my query, I think I've discovered that it's also on YouTube. That would be good if it was, because we could watch it on our TV through YouTube's AppleTV portal. We intend to find out very soon! :)

Watching Moana earlier this week got the song Shiny stuck in my head. Went to look it up and oh, it's performed by Jemaine Clement! The original idea for a movie about a Polynesian girl actually came from Clement and Waititi, and Taika wrote the first screenplay. While Shiny was written by Lin-Manuel Miranda he was partly inspired by a Flight of the Choncords tribute to David Bowie. Sooo, that's like the most unusual connection with this show I've come across. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Natasia Demetriou has a small part in Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga! She was a reluctant stage coordinator/choreographer for the Icelandic duo Fire Saga.

• Love 6

So we were trying to find something for my 3 year old to watch and my wife flipped to The Thundermans and apparently Harvey Guillen was in the episode (I looked it up and he was in like 6 of them).  I had to double check since he looked so young there (it was a 2014 episode). 

2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

He's also in the Funny or Die short called Juan Dreams of Chicken and Rice, which manages to skewer both  Jiro Dreams of Sushi and Chef's Table.

That was an episode of Documentary Now! (I think I first loved him in the show Huge.)

I just got a surprise. Started watching a film that's part of the DC Shorts 2021 International Film Festival and the first character to pop up is played by Natasia Demetriou! The film is "Aria" and it's from the UK, written and directed by Christopher Poole. It's a horror short (13 minutes) and she has a small but important part in it. 

• Love 1

Moving this from one of the episode threads: 

2 hours ago, Matt K said:

Check out Garth Marenghi's Darkplace which is currently free on Amazon Prime.  

I'm sure someone's (maybe me) already suggested Snuff Box too. "Whiskeyyyy!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 12/7/2021 at 5:30 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

I noticed he's wearing the same shirt in the Geico commercial as he did in one of the after show episodes. https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/121981-after-the-shadows-because-of-course-we-have-an-after-show/?do=findComment&comment=7058726

Does it mean I'm obsessed? I think I might be obsessed with Harvey Guillen, this show, or both.

road-to-el-dorado-both-is-good.gif

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Harvey Guillen is voicing a role in a new animated version of "Puss in Boots" that hits theaters later this year.  The synopsis:  In their quest, Puss and Kitty will be aided—against their better judgment—by a ratty, chatty, relentlessly cheerful mutt, Perro (Harvey Guillén, What We Do in the Shadows). Together, our trio of heroes will have to stay one step ahead of Goldilocks (Oscar® nominee Florence Pugh, Black Widow) and the Three Bears Crime Family, “Big” Jack Horner (Emmy winner John Mulaney, Big Mouth) and terrifying bounty hunter, The Big Bad Wolf (Wagner Moura, Narcos).

• Love 3
13 hours ago, patty1h said:

Harvey Guillen is voicing a role in a new animated version of "Puss in Boots" that hits theaters later this year.

This tweet made me laugh. I love this account. 

• LOL 3

Now available on HBO Max is Stath Lets Flats, starring Natasia Demetriou as the main character's sister and also features Al Roberts who just played Freddie on WWDITS.

Where her WWDITS vampire is all alpha confidence, Demetriou’s Sophie is meek, soft-spoken, sweet, and almost childlike, an aspiring dancer and actor and brother to the titular Stath, a letting agent in North London. In other words, where Nadja goes loud, telling the world to fuck off and expressing exactly how she feels, Sophie goes soft, awkwardly, gently, and passively floating through life with a half-smile.

• Love 1