Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: Episode 2

• Start Topic

(edited)

Ross' wig looked a bit better this episode, but I suspect Caroline's actress also cut her hair short and they're trying to unconvincingly hide it with a hair piece.  I can't stand Ned and wish his storyline (except the abolitionist stuff, which is good) and the ridiculous spy stuff was over.  I still think it was a mistake for Geoffrey Charles to leave school when he can't even fund his alternative career.  Are we actually going to see him officially take over Trenwith by the end of this season?  Cecily feels like a generic version of a character we've seen many times on the show already; so does Tess for that matter. Drake and Morwenna and Demelza's safety are the only storylines I really care about at this point.    Overall this season feels thinner then all the fake hair. 

Edited by Glade
  • Love 7

I like when "The Women" get together and plan joint ventures. Caroline & Demelza huddling together and plotting behind their husband's back is always fun. Then Ross, the spoilsport had to go and ruin Demelza's fun.

Prudie's distance and look of distaste when offering tea to Catherine, reminds me why I can't stand Prudie. Who the fuck is she to look down her nose at Catherine simply because she's Black? While I know it was a common reaction back then, I still hate it. Especially in these current times.

I feel bad for Valentine, poor kid is lost and unloved and dearly misses his mother. I wish Ross could claim his son and raise him, meanwhile rub it in George's smug face. I think Demelza has a good enough heart to raise him along with his half siblings.

I also feel bad for Morwenna. I can't imagine what she must be going through to fear a man's touch, especially from the man she loves and would clearly love to get beyond that. Demelza and Caroline should have a chat with her.

I too don't like Ned. He's putting the lives of the people he cares about in danger. He's too loud and brash.

• Love 2

I find the stuff with Ned himself a drag, but I am finding this season in general more interesting than I thought I would. Seeing George go all One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest--I just about died at the look on Cary's face when George called him "my dear" as if he was talking to Elizabeth--was unexpected but seems promising. I have always thought Jack Farthing was one of the better actors on the show, and it's nice that he's finally being given a little more variety in what he gets to do as George. And the fact that Ross and Demelza are back to a good place in their marriage is nice. I got sick of all the drama for drama's sake with them. 

I don't like Geoffrey Charles as an adult--every time I see him, all I think is "Regency Douche"--but I will confess that I was quite moved by his moment thinking about his mom. When he pulled out her picture, even little cynical me got a bit teary-eyed. Cecily bores me to tears, though, as does her relationship with Geoffrey Charles. It's just a rehash of all the other thwarted young lovers we've had in 5 seasons. 

Added: Tess is tedious, and the actress is not very good, in my opinion, though to be fair some of that might be the hamfisted writing for her. Not looking forward to her storyline at all this season. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 6

It was strange to see Ross as one of the more rational and not impulsive people in the group. 

Even stranger to find myself agreeing with George that Ross’s inability to let go of Elizabeth played a part in her demise.

I was glad that Elizabeth has not been forgotten. Geoffrey Charles’s memory of her was very moving and I gotta say that Heida Reed looked stunning in that scene.

I actually like the conspiracy/counter-conspiracy story. Manipulation of public opinion is a timeless problem.

Maybe Drake and Morwenna can adopt a child. Or perhaps they can provide support for Valentine. Taking care of children may help her heal.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, nara said:

I actually like the conspiracy/counter-conspiracy story. Manipulation of public opinion is a timeless problem.

I find Ned irritating, but this side of the story has been pretty intriguing and seems promising. 

• Love 4

This entire episode had me thinking Ross and Demelza needed to get their butts back to Nampara and kick that bitch Tess to the curb or better yet send her to jail for attempted arson.  Ned's story and the politics surrounding it is boring, but George is getting interesting.  I guess the writers had to figure out a way to keep Heida Reed in the cast.  I thought the show was really going to stink without Elizabeth so I'm glad they are sort of keeping her part of the story.  Geoffrey Charles should mention Francis to his girl.  His situation would be entirely different had his father lived.  Will we get any Verity this season?

• Love 7

What happened to Morwena's baby?  Did Oswald's mother keep the child?  I can't remember.

Cecily is like Caroline 2.0 but not as amusing.

I was surprised last week to see someone as well known as Andrew Gower playing the crazy assassin, but I guess he'll be a recurring character as Dwight studies brain damage and psychology.  (Will he also be called in to diagnose George's infirmity?)  The storylines this season dealing with insanity and slavery are huge, and it will be interesting to see how these (basically) farmers and a country doctor try to change society's beliefs.

• Love 6

Damn, I actually agreed with some of what George said to Ross about Elizabeth.  "We hounded her to an early death."  Poor Valentine.

Between Ross, Demezla, and Dwight, I was expecting all of them to be arrested and imprisoned before the end of the episode.

I did laugh when EVERYONE decamped to Cornwall.  Especially, at the we'll go to Cornwall, away from London, everything will be okay there.  I was like, "You all do realize you are on an island right?  It's not like you are heading off into the wilderness."

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
On 7/31/2019 at 2:40 PM, Jacks-Son said:

I like when "The Women" get together and plan joint ventures. Caroline & Demelza huddling together and plotting behind their husband's back is always fun. Then Ross, the spoilsport had to go and ruin Demelza's fun.

Prudie's distance and look of distaste when offering tea to Catherine, reminds me why I can't stand Prudie. Who the fuck is she to look down her nose at Catherine simply because she's Black? While I know it was a common reaction back then, I still hate it. Especially in these current times.

I feel bad for Valentine, poor kid is lost and unloved and dearly misses his mother. I wish Ross could claim his son and raise him, meanwhile rub it in George's smug face. I think Demelza has a good enough heart to raise him along with his half siblings.

I also feel bad for Morwenna. I can't imagine what she must be going through to fear a man's touch, especially from the man she loves and would clearly love to get beyond that. Demelza and Caroline should have a chat with her.

I too don't like Ned. He's putting the lives of the people he cares about in danger. He's too loud and brash.

Demelza's fun led to a death.

11 hours ago, nara said:

It was strange to see Ross as one of the more rational and not impulsive people in the group. 

Even stranger to find myself agreeing with George that Ross’s inability to let go of Elizabeth played a part in her demise.

I was glad that Elizabeth has not been forgotten. Geoffrey Charles’s memory of her was very moving and I gotta say that Heida Reed looked stunning in that scene.

Maybe Drake and Morwenna can adopt a child. Or perhaps they can provide support for Valentine. Taking care of children may help her heal.

I like Elizabeth ruling from the grave.  

• Love 4

Of course George has no problem with slavery. I fully expect to see him drowning puppies and taking candy from babies in the park. 

Tess is written just as broadly.

12 hours ago, Haleth said:

What happened to Morwena's baby?  Did Oswald's mother keep the child?  I can't remember.

I believe so. 

• Love 1

A mysterious figure complete with a bird of prey pet? We got ourselves a Bond villain and i'm really enjoying it.

I want ned's name to be cleared but i wouldn't say i want to see him given his post back. He's a bit too emotionally unstable right now with that temper. I know prison did a number on him but he needs to pick up yoga or something. He's a pretty awesome fencer, though.

Might be the only one (and it might be an unpopular opinion), but i was happy to see demelza's behind-the-scenes antics go wrong for once. It's happened too many times and succeeded too many times to the point where i just roll my eyes when she does one of her schemes. Like i get it, but i'm just tired of the same old thing at this point so it's nice to see a change of pace for once. 

Could care less about the new maid storyline. So irrelevant.

Jeffy boy missing his momma 😢

i keep waiting for george's uncle to do something about george's condition. I'm currently uncertain if 1) he'll even do something about it and 2) will he try to take advantage of the situation or not.

now if only we could get nana poldark back to haunt george as well...

• Love 11
10 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

i keep waiting for george's uncle to do something about george's condition. I'm currently uncertain if 1) he'll even do something about it and 2) will he try to take advantage of the situation or not.

Cary is waiting for George to snap out of it. It's not like he could send him to a grief counselor.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Cary is waiting for George to snap out of it. It's not like he could send him to a grief counselor.

or a therapist or a psychiatrist or  even the local doctor to write him a prescription for Abilify.  Back then there were two choices when "madness" reared its head, send them to an asylum  where they would be alternately completely neglected and tortured with "treatments," or (the lucky ones like Mrs. Rochester) lock them in a room in the attic. You can't blame relatives for pretending everything's fine as long as possible.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

or a therapist or a psychiatrist or  even the local doctor to write him a prescription for Abilify.  Back then there were two choices when "madness" reared its head, send them to an asylum  where they would be alternately completely neglected and tortured with "treatments," or (the lucky ones like Mrs. Rochester) lock them in a room in the attic. You can't blame relatives for pretending everything's fine as long as possible.  

Maybe Dr. Enys can help him...finally healing the rift between George and Ross

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, nara said:

Maybe Dr. Enys can help him...finally healing the rift between George and Ross

Ding, Ding, ding! The obvious solution is to invite the world's most innovative physician, Dwight Enys, to examine your nephew.  After all, he single-handedly redefined "insanity". Although, I doubt there's any healing of a George/Ross rift. Where's the fun in that?  George should experience the full effects of discrimination for mental instability from his class of posers.   He likes to treat people like shit, including his own adopted son never mind he hasn't even held Ursula in his own arms. Fuck him, let him have his delusions. The pity others view him with is so much fun. Why fix him?

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, Alistaire said:

George, if played by an actor who wasn't good looking at all, would have been hated by the audience, because the character really is just another version of Dickens' Uriah Heep. Bad.

Umm, George IS hated by the audience, as was "allegedly pretty", boy band member Hugh. Both Francis and George come off as FOP-ish to me.  Francis had to "toughen" himself up to work in the mines.  I've never seen George do any manual labor, not even pull out a chair for Elizabeth. Back when Demelza and Verity needed room to teach Demelza how to dance, both women moved heavy furniture around by themselves.  Has George ever done anything similar?  

If this is an example of the delicate nature of the men in "Poldark", well then yes, but I think it's really a class distinction and has nothing to do with their appearance.  Men of substance don't get their hands dirty, no matter how their forebears became men of substance.  That dirty work is reserved for the working class, the poor, servants, or people of color. 

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Alistaire said:

My single strongest reason not to watch Poldark, when it first came to Masterpiece, was that all the male characters except Ross were interchangeable for me. I'd dead serious when I say that it took me two years to sort out George, Francis, and Dwight. The actors who play their roles are all very handsome men whose handsomeness must be defined as delicate. And then there's Aidan Turner. Grrr. Alpha dog.

I wonder if people would give a rat's arse about George if he wasn't played by Jack Farthing, who has only gotten better looking the longer the series has lasted while his character has only gotten more evil. If it needs be said, all three actors (George, Francis, Dwight) are excellent in these and other roles. But the casting director had to have rocks in his/her/their heads to case three leads with men who look so much alike. George, if played by an actor who wasn't good looking at all, would have been hated by the audience, because the character really is just another version of Dickens' Uriah Heep. Bad.

Lol. Same thing happened for me with Veronica Mars. Duncan, Logan, and Troy looked so alike to me in Season 1 that it wasn’t until I rewatched the first few episodes that I could get them straight.

I think that the only reason I have any sympathy for George is that Ross and Francis used to mock him for being non-aristocratic when they were kids. (Mentioned in an earlier season.) Although he clearly needs to grow up and get over it, those childhood insecurities can have long-term effects.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, nara said:

I think that the only reason I have any sympathy for George is that Ross and Francis used to mock him for being non-aristocratic when they were kids. (Mentioned in an earlier season.) Although he clearly needs to grow up and get over it, those childhood insecurities can have long-term effects.

See.  How juvenile, the mystery of the reappearing "Pond Frogs".  Crimes enough to make a child cry.  George is no longer a child, but he continues to act like one.  Even now, he gets scolded by "Phantom Dennis Elizabeth" and straightens his act.  "🎶Now, who's a goooodd boy, huh? 🎶" . Sorry, no amount of self-pity or remorse George laments about, he will never be a sympathetic character in my mind

• Love 1

I don't really see the correlation between the audience's responses to many of these characters and their personal appearance.

I enjoy George as a character, but it has nothing to do with Jack Farthing's appearance. (Though I do love him as an actor. His Freddie in Blandings is one of my all-time favorite TV idiots. I still randomly think about and chuckle over him trying to impress a would-be girlfriend with a history lesson about "Norman the Conqueror" invading England. LOL) However, Farthing's not really to my personal taste--too delicate-looking for me--though he's not a bad-looking guy. 

I think Aidan Turner is hot as hell, but I've sort of hated Ross ever since season 2. He's being less annoying now, which is good, but even as handsome as he was, he hit rock bottom when it came to being an asshole--and then he started to dig. 

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, Zella said:

I don't really see the correlation between the audience's responses to many of these characters and their personal appearance.

Yeah, I don't get it either.  I think all three of the main female characters: Elizabeth, Demelza, & Caroline are fine as all get out. However, Elizabeth pissed me off when she started giving Demelza attitude.  The woman saved her baby at the cost of her own?  She should be Elizabeth's friend not her enemy. I didn't care about those luscious lips then, so appearance has nothing to do with whether I like a character or not.

• Love 2

Speaking about how appearances affects fans, here's an interesting article that sheds new "light" On Heida Reed's concerns for her appearance on "Poldark".

Poldark's Heida Reed reveals she was told at 15 that her hips were 'too big for modelling' - leaving her struggling with her appearance for years

"She added: 'My thighs jiggle a bunch and I have so much more cellulite than in this photo! I struggle being consistent with exercise, I have a complicated relationship with food, and I’m working on all of that, but more importantly I want to work on embracing myself as I am right now.' "

ACBCF6CF-3BB4-47B9-9A2D-5C1538B9BFC2.jpeg.39ae903083ff0ee45f4d3d1a85b1e592.jpeg

Edited by Jacks-Son

Pssst, can I just say Heida is looking absolutely radiant & gorgeous in this ep?  Er, does (playing) being dead & a ghostie agree with her?  Whatever it is, let it continue for the rest of the season cuz if it means Georgie is nutso, I'm all in!

Yeah, the sign that a show is starting to jump the shark is when you get the re-tread storylines -- Cecily is another Caroline, GC & Cecily are another Drake & Morwenna.  And Ned & his hot temper?  Well, that feels like it's been done a zillion times before by Ross -- and maybe also the hungry townspeople.  Still, I'm intrigued by the George-going-nuts storyline.  Now, if only they'd bring back my fav Aggie . . .

Uh, so Dwight's medical specialty is . . . everything?  Mmm, OK then.

Does Demelza only have 2 states of emotion?  She's either gloriously happy & smiling ear-to-ear or distraught & frowning miserably.  Sheesh, talk about wild mood swings.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 3

So I guess this season could be titled — “Ross & Dwight go looking for trouble”?

Don’t those 2 actually have enough going on in their lives already?  Yeah, yeah, I get that they’re both do-gooders, but still, it looks like they’re both needlessly going after trouble in their lives.  

I mean, seriously, how many people have warned Ross that Ned (& his out of control, unpredictable temper, & the vast enemies he’s made) is bad news & will bring danger to his life?  Does he not think he’s not just endangering his own life, but his wife & kids too?  Oy, Ross is still the same self-absorbed a-hole.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 2

I could have sworn I heard someone talking about Ned's wife, something about she couldn't be trusted?  Not sure if it was only because she was black, but maybe there's something else as well.

I don't remember that comment made about Ned's wife.  Now, Ned himself may be a different story.  I'd love to see Hanson dragged in chains before the royal court. Slave labor, huh? Perhaps chains aren't enough.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

I don't remember that comment made about Ned's wife.  Now, Ned himself may be a different story.  I'd love to see Hanson dragged in chains before the royal court. Slave labor, huh? Perhaps chains aren't enough.

You might be right, maybe I just heard mumbling about her and it was simply that whoever it was, just didn't like the fact that she was a free black woman. 

• Love 1

Can you imagine the pitch for this season to Heida Reed?  "Okay, see, your character is dead but the good news is you still have a job.  Elizabeth will be around only slightly less than she was before.  The bad news is that every time she shows up she's going to be a scoldy delusion wearing the same red dress."  Hey, it's good work if you can get it.

I'm coming in late on this one, but I'm a little impressed that five seasons in the show has managed to find a character who makes Ross look positively measured and reasonable in comparison.  Demelza joins Dwight's thankless chorus of asking whether it's really a good idea to keep entangling himself with this man but then blows past the "discreet" part of Ross's plan for a girls' day out that results in their sole witness floating face down in the Thames.  I wish I cared more about all the conspiracy stuff, but I'm mostly just here for where our regular cast falls within it. 

Of the new characters, the only one I care much about at all is Catherine.  After it felt like everyone was very pointedly ignoring that she was the first black regular cast member any of them had interacted with in five seasons last week until oh, look here's this abolitionist event.  You'll be speaking at that, right?, the observations that everyone at their big night out of course assumed she was a paid courtesan just as people in the park assumed she must be Demelza's maid were quietly devastating.  Cecily feels interchangeable with every other young star-crossed love we've met, while Tess is doing some half-assed impression of aspiring to wear a Demelza skin.

George seemed lucid enough in his calling it that he and Ross effectively hounded Elizabeth to death and that Ross needs to own his part in it.  It's interesting watching Uncle Cary, who's never shown a genuine human emotion or concern for anyone, struggling to figure out just what is to be done as George's cheese slides farther and farther off the cracker.  Dwight's voiceover about the nature of madness in the scene of a deteriorating George being knighted by George III whose own madness will result in the Regency just a few years after this was nicely done.

• Love 4
On 10/8/2019 at 10:49 PM, Zella said:

I think Aidan Turner is hot as hell, but I've sort of hated Ross ever since season 2. He's being less annoying now, which is good, but even as handsome as he was, he hit rock bottom when it came to being an asshole--and then he started to dig. 

I'm not going to lie.  I hate watched this show faithfully for some time.  There was not one redeeming character on it.

• Love 1

Hmm, not one huh? It would be interesting to hear your complaints about the characters. Besides the obvious ones: George and Cary Warleggan, Hanson, last year's Boy Toy, Tom Harry, that "B" from Series 1 - Ruth Teague and her idiot husband, Prudie, & Jud. I guess that's a lot, but all the others are fine. It might be easier To ask if there is ANYONE that you liked? If not, then definitely "Poldark" is a waste of your time.

4 hours ago, areca said:

I'm not going to lie.  I hate watched this show faithfully for some time.  There was not one redeeming character on it.

There were parts of season 4 especially where I kind of wanted to set everyone on fire. 

• Love 1

I am concerned about the abolition story.  It was a hugely controversial issue at the time and it took YEARS before Wilberforce and his allies were able to successfully bring it and argue it before Parliament.  There were so many obstacles and people that stood in the way of abolition.  The movie Amazing Grace reflects the struggles.  I feel like it's being presented too quickly and in order to make Poldark the hero of the struggle for abolition within the British Empire.  I hope the story reflects some of the realities of the era, but am afraid Poldark is going to easily be responsible for the abolition of slavery in the Empire and that this will be a true injustice to those who suffered as enslaved persons as well as to those who lost (in some cases almost lost) all they had in order to fight against it. 

• Love 4