Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Ready Player Two

Miles turns to his dad for help when he learns that his latest friend suggestion was adopted after being dropped off at Arthur’s church as a baby. Also, Pria comes clean about Henry Chase, the real identity of the hacker Falken, and his possible connection to the God Account.

Airing Sunday, January 6, 2019.

Fingers crossed we make it to full forum in the new update!

• Love 2
On 12/12/2018 at 8:00 PM, saoirse said:
On 12/12/2018 at 8:00 PM, saoirse said:

Miles turns to his dad for help when he learns that his latest friend suggestion was adopted after being dropped off at Arthur’s church as a baby. Also, Pria comes clean about Henry Chase, the real identity of the hacker Falken, and his possible connection to the God Account.

Airing Sunday, January 6, 2019.

Fingers crossed we make it to full forum in the new update!

Well, we didn't make the cut, but we didn't disappear! Join us here to keep the discussion going!

• Love 2

I thought they did a pretty good job of dealing with the fallout from overstepping WRT finding Heidi's birth parents after she said no.
But it seemed like the meeting of the 2 sisters should have been focused on the younger sister having just lost her parents 2 months ago in an accident, and it wasn't even mentioned.
Of course, it was all so heartwarming, who cares, I guess.

Also, if the younger sister does not have the gene but her daughter does, that would mean the daughter got it from her father, which makes it seem not so rare.
Anyway, since the 2 sisters were supposed to be from the same parents, I wish they'd cast them to look more similar. As it was, I thought the younger sister looked more like Cara than like Heidi.

• Love 4

So J’yia leaves, the tech female friend of Rashesh is quickly gone, Priya leaves and now Nia leaves.  What, the actresses are demanding equal pay?  

I wasn’t upset that Heid and  Mary didn’t discuss their parents in this first 5 minute meeting. 

• Love 2

I really enjoyed this episode...even if some of the tech talk was lost on me..and in some way, I think it's cool that Miles is helping Pria find Falken..although as someone said, I really want it to be Harold Finch,

Maybe when this show comes back for a second season, we'll get an upgrade.

• Love 3

I continue to love this show. I knew Miles and Nia  wouldn't last but it's cool that she's the one that recognized it and was able to bow out gracefully. I'm surprised that the parents were dead because this show doesn't normally go with those types of twists. But they continue to tug at the ol heart strings. 

• Love 8
On 1/2/2019 at 9:03 PM, Trini said:

This is disappointing. I was sure we had enough traffic to stay a forum.

I was sure too.  It's not just disappointing, it's almost insulting.  "The Golden Girls" gets front page listing and keeps forum status and it hasn't even aired a new episode in over 25 years!  I don't know why currently airing shows didn't get some kind of priority.

I thought it was suspicious for Priya to suddenly leave like that without much explanation.  What did she really do with Rakesh's computer drive?  She told him she "fixed" some things on the program, but what if she really threw him off instead?  I still suspect she's working with Henry and the other guy.  As Rakesh pointed out, she's not exactly to be trusted.  Now that she fulfilled her mission of throwing them off, she can leave.  Or if not, maybe she really got some useful information from it that she's off to investigate so as to find Henry.

I complained weeks ago that Miles didn't act paranoid enough that someone out there knows that much about his life.  Suddenly in this episode he FINALLY started feeling creepy about it.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I thought it was suspicious for Priya to suddenly leave like that without much explanation.  What did she really do with Rakesh's computer drive?  She told him she "fixed" some things on the program, but what if she really threw him off instead?  I still suspect she's working with Henry and the other guy.  As Rakesh pointed out, she's not exactly to be trusted.  Now that she fulfilled her mission of throwing them off, she can leave.  Or if not, maybe she really got some useful information from it that she's off to investigate so as to find Henry.

Maybe Priya is the person behind the God account? 

• Love 6
20 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Also, if the younger sister does not have the gene but her daughter does, that would mean the daughter got it from her father, which makes it seem not so rare.

I wondered if it was supposed to be recessive but in that case the sister still has the gene, right? Oh well, degree in humanities is my free card out of this.

The rest in list form:

• Dear Lord (pun intended) this show is currently ranking higher on the CTMW-scale than 'This is Us' (i.e. number of tissues needed per episode)!
  • Whoever mentioned the  wardrobe person having a thing for great jackets: you are right. I'm normally not into leather jackets but Cara's burgundy jacket made me check with wornontv.net - sadly the show isn't featured there.
  • So, a couple of computer nerds who wanted to change the world betray each other while working on the basis for an AI. The Person of Interest vibe remains strong with this one.
  • Did Rakesh seriously think he could snoop around the server farm of a tech mogul and not get made???
  • During Cara's birthday party I realized how much she looks like her mother - never noticed that before, great casting.
  • Mia and Miles not lasting was predictable but at least it was handled very sensibly
  • Love 10
17 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Something keeps going wrong with my apartment whenever this show airs, as my eyes get irritated and they tear up. It must be something with my radiator or something. 

Weird, I think our apartments have the same infestation! Every time this shows comes on, my eyes start tearing up! What a strangely specific issue :) 

I almost wish that the episode had focused on the sister who just lost her parents and just found her long lost sister, and I generally roll my eyes at "find my birth parents because they're the REAL family" kinds of stories, but I thought this was handled quite well. Didn't see it coming that the parents had died, but she got a sister, brother in law, and cute niece out of the deal, plus tons of new donations to her project, so its mostly a win!

I knew that Nia wouldn't stay with Miles for long, but I was glad that she bowed not out of jealousy, but just because Miles was so busy with other stuff right now. So now that Miles and Cara are both single again...

The actresses who play Cara and her mom really look alike, its really good casting! I also like that they've continued with the story with Cara and her mom, and that everything wasn't solved in one conversation in the pilot. 

• Love 8

Well, you got me show. I'd been trying to ignore the Falken/God Account subplot, but it's getting interesting now. And it really does have similarities to Person of Interest. I'm going to have to look up and see if the shows share any writers/crew in common. (POI was filmed in NY also.)

I continue to appreciate that they make an effort to cast minorities in guest and recurring roles. (Not every show set in NYC does.)

I really liked that Cara got to do more and have a personal connection to this week's Friend Request. More of this please! I get that Miles is the primary lead, but they really could use Cara more. Glad that they haven't forgotten about Cara struggling to reconnect with her mom.

Glad that the search for Heidi's family turned out okay (well, of course it did), because it really was an invasion. But she did get funding for her project, in any case. I know they won't give updates on every case, but I hope they revisit this one in the future.

Can they really trust Pria with anything? We got a few more clues about Falken, but I'm feeling that Pria is more of an obstacle than an ally. I'm also questioning the story that they were in love if Falken just literally disappeared on her.

Just like with Eli, I think it's odd that Nia and Miles are already breaking up when we've barely seen them together, and the relationship hasn't really impacted him.

Nice twist with the buyout of IdentitySeal, because all this sleuthing had to come back and affect them them somehow.

One other little thing I liked was when Miles and Rakesh had to go through the doorman to meet with Pria; because unlike a lot of TV, you can't just waltz into NYC buildings so easily.

6 hours ago, MissLucas said:

• Whoever mentioned the  wardrobe person having a thing for great jackets: you are right. I'm normally not into leather jackets but Cara's burgundy jacket made me check with wornontv.net - sadly the show isn't featured there.

It really should be! Yeah, the fashion/costume/wardrobe for this show is another thing I need to look up.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe Priya is the person behind the God account? 

Yup, I had that thought too.  She's definitely hiding something.

• Dear Lord (pun intended) this show is currently ranking higher on the CTMW-scale than 'This is Us' (i.e. number of tissues needed per episode)!

For me, "Long Lost Family" holds the tissue record.

I admit I'm a jacket junkie and I've loved the jackets on this show, especially that burgundy one!  I've loved the wardrobe on this show more than any other in recent memory.  I keep meaning to look up who does it but somehow never do.

• Love 2

When Rakesh looked up the doctor's parents, wouldn't a REAL Identity-Theft Prevention program have mentioned they were, ya know, dead, so anyone claiming that identity now was a thief?

On 1/6/2019 at 6:12 PM, shapeshifter said:

The doctor said that she was a carrier, so I suspect the sister might be as well.  If a carrier has a child with someone lacking the gene at all, the child will have the disease.  That's how hemophilia works -- men don't have the gene, good or bad, so if mom has the bad gene, so does their son.

7 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Mia and Miles not lasting was predictable but at least it was handled very sensibly

Mia was right -- she can't be part of one and not the other.  Miles drew the wrong conclusion.  The God Account and his personal life can be kept separate (most people keep their work and their friends separate), but any woman he wants to be a part of his life has to be in both (Cara).

• Love 2
17 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Mia was right -- she can't be part of one and not the other.  Miles drew the wrong conclusion.  The God Account and his personal life can be kept separate (most people keep their work and their friends separate), but any woman he wants to be a part of his life has to be in both (Cara).

I have to give the show credit for spinning this outcome in such a way that we didn't all roll our eyes. I really don't know how they pulled it off, given that really Miles should have encouraged Mia to come along when she wanted to.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Miles should have encouraged Mia to come along when she wanted to.

i think that's what clued her in that he wasn't 100% into the relationship.  But, yeah, this show is ranking up with Brooklyn 9-9 in terms of how it's handling love interests (B99 is a HIGH bar to cross!).

• Love 4

I really like this show. The entire cast is really good and works well together I really like all the characters. I like the friendship between Miles, Rakesh and Cara. Miles's relationship with his dad and sister. The episodes are uplifting. I liked that we got to revisit characters that they helped. This was another great episode I loved how excited Miles's father was to talk to Heidi. Nia being hurt that Miles didn't ask her to come along and I like her ending it with him and why. There was no jealousy or anything like they easily could have gone given him including Cara and wanting to through her a birthday party. I'll be sad to see Nia go. She was cool too. I do like Heidi being mad about them looking into her parents and  it made sense that Cara ignored it given her own feelings.  

• Love 8
On 1/8/2019 at 12:45 AM, Trini said:

Can they really trust Pria with anything? We got a few more clues about Falken, but I'm feeling that Pria is more of an obstacle than an ally. I'm also questioning the story that they were in love if Falken just literally disappeared on her.

I think Pria is Falken. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I think the mom is a weak link, acting-wise, in this show. She is too smiley.  I forget ... why did she leave Cara?

I think she was an alcoholic, and couldn't deal with being a regular mom

• Love 3

Seeing Cara makes me miss her character on the Flash. She really is luminous (especially when she was wearing that beautiful burgundy coat with her matching lipstick shade) and continues to have great chemistry with Miles.

I was prepared for the usual waterworks but it hit me extra hard when it turned out that her niece was deaf. The sister probably carries the gene but did not manifest into hearing loss like it did in her daughter. The main character had the gene as well but didn’t have hearing loss yet- I remember her telling Miles and Cara that she won’t know when the hearing loss will come (if it does). Kudos to the casting staff for always finding such likable (and diverse) actors to play the friend suggestion characters. They have all been terrific and make every story engaging. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, twoods said:

The sister probably carries the gene but did not manifest into hearing loss like it did in her daughter. The main character had the gene as well but didn’t have hearing loss yet

Maybe that's the way the story was supposed to go (which makes sense) but the lines we heard were:

[Heidi] I know this is going to sound terrible, but I'm so glad you carry the gene, otherwise, we never would have found each other.
[Mary] Actually, I don't. Molly. I'd like you to meet someone.This is your Aunt Heidi.

On 1/8/2019 at 12:58 AM, Yeah No said:

I admit I'm a jacket junkie and I've loved the jackets on this show, especially that burgundy one!

Co-sign. That jacket was great.

On 1/7/2019 at 8:25 PM, tennisgurl said:

I knew that Nia wouldn't stay with Miles for long, but I was glad that she bowed not out of jealousy, but just because Miles was so busy with other stuff right now.

I was wondering how/when they were going to break up Miles and Nia, and I think this was well done. She wants an all-in situation and Miles isn't there with her. It showed self-respect and was drama-free. Good job, show!

• Love 6
On 1/7/2019 at 9:15 AM, 12catcrazy said:

Another good episode.  Must say that the actress who plays Cara is absolutely luminous and perfect for her role.  

I agree, but I don't think I've ever seen a more charming actor than Brandon Michael Hall. They both have charisma out the wazoo.

On 1/7/2019 at 11:45 PM, Trini said:

Just like with Eli, I think it's odd that Nia and Miles are already breaking up when we've barely seen them together, and the relationship hasn't really impacted him.

Nice twist with the buyout of IdentitySeal, because all this sleuthing had to come back and affect them them somehow.

I don't think Nia was jealous necessarily, but she clearly didn't like how close Miles and Cara are. She could tell Miles cares deeply about Cara, and I think she got out before that could cause real problems for her and Miles.

What on earth are Rakesh and Miles going to do if the new owner announces employees can't just get up and walk away from their jobs whenever it suits them, and they have to work 8 straight hours?

• Love 11

BTW, the costume designer for the show is Sarah Mae Burton. Her biggest recent credits are the series Limitless, and films The Big Sick and Blockers. I found a couple of interviews with her, but they only discuss her work on specific films.

On 1/10/2019 at 8:48 PM, SpiritSong said:

I agree, but I don't think I've ever seen a more charming actor than Brandon Michael Hall. They both have charisma out the wazoo.

He is very charismatic. I was so disappointed when his other show, The Mayor, was cancelled; but I'm glad he got cast in this, and it seems to be doing okay for CBS.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 9
18 hours ago, Trini said:

He is very charismatic. I was so disappointed when his other show, The Mayor, was cancelled; but I'm glad he got cast in this, and it seems to be doing okay for CBS.

I completely agree. The Mayor was an underrated show. I'm glad he landed something else though. He's one to watch, I think.

19 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

What on earth are Rakesh and Miles going to do if the new owner announces employees can't just get up and walk away from their jobs whenever it suits them, and they have to work 8 straight hours?

Ha - when Miles said "I work at an identity theft prevention place" I was like "Oh right, he does." Completely forgot. Also Cara can just roll up in there and hover when they probably deal with sensitive personal data? Okay!

• Love 4

Did anyone else notice a huge whole in this past episode? When Mile's dad explained why Heidi was put up for adoption he described them as teenagers who lacked family support. When he asked Rakesh to look up her drop site he said Heidi was born in 1983. When Rakesh brought up the license of Michael Yang his birthdate was 7-12-51 which would have made him 32 when Heidi was born...well beyond a teenager. 

michael.JPG

• Love 5