Type keyword(s) to search

Bridgerton In Media: Bodice Ripped From the Headlines

• Start Topic

On 5/17/2022 at 11:53 AM, marina to said:

The problem is that Kate putting everyone else before herself is a core of the character. 

She believed so, but by insisting that Anthony married her sister, she failed to realize that such a marriage would be miserable.

Sometimes it's better hurt a loved one now than let her suffer her whole life. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Harvey said:

People will move on if they make them wait so long all the time...

I have to assume this is Netflix not releasing the necessary funds to staff the writers' room because a 2 year wait means nothing has been done for season 4.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
13 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I have to assume this is Netflix not releasing the necessary funds to staff the writers' room because a 2 year wait means nothing has been done for season 4.  

I saw speculation that Netflix didn't actually sign off on season 4 until the first half of 3 came out. If so, they're stupid, and they better use this long wait to give us an amazing season 4. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

I saw speculation that Netflix didn't actually sign off on season 4 until the first half of 3 came out. If so, they're stupid, and they better use this long wait to give us an amazing season 4. 

That's not a good sign for season 5 and beyond.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That's not a good sign for season 5 and beyond.

Things might get better when Stranger Things finally wraps.  From what I can piece together, it appears that the bulk of Netflix's  budget is tied up with that show.  

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1

Yeah, I'm willing to bet that this delay is mostly from Netflix. 

Netflix is still reporting strong revenue and profits, but they also reported a sharp drop in cash back in March, and quite a lot of their new stuff is either second run or comparatively cheap reality docuseries/docucrimes.

That said, Bridgerton does seem to be one of their most successful shows, and season three spent considerable time setting up the future seasons of Benedict, Francesca, and even (to a lesser extent) Gregory, so....someone at Shondaland has hopes of getting several more seasons.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, quarks said:

Yeah, I'm willing to bet that this delay is mostly from Netflix. 

Netflix is still reporting strong revenue and profits, but they also reported a sharp drop in cash back in March, and quite a lot of their new stuff is either second run or comparatively cheap reality docuseries/docucrimes.

That said, Bridgerton does seem to be one of their most successful shows, and season three spent considerable time setting up the future seasons of Benedict, Francesca, and even (to a lesser extent) Gregory, so....someone at Shondaland has hopes of getting several more seasons.

I didn't think this season was as strong as Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story.
Maybe TPTB at Netflix saw that too and were worried about ratings?
How do they compare?

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I didn't think this season was as strong as Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story.
Maybe TPTB at Netflix saw that too and were worried about ratings?
How do they compare?

The Hollywood Reporter reported strong viewing numbers for part one of season three back in May:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/streaming-ratings-may-13-19-2024-1235922407/

These numbers don't include views through computers or mobile devices, and historically have allegedly not included at least some views through Amazon's Fire stick even when played through devices.

That said, Netflix's focus is less on ratings/viewers, and more on subscriber impact/retention, which isn't addressed in this article.

• Useful 4

I wonder why the showrunner is already talking about a two year wait for the next season. We know from Season 2 that it doesn't take two years. Not unless you have to deal with a pandemic or a big Hollywood strike or both. Christmas 2025 is a totally doable release deadline for them.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

She said that part of the reason is that they have to wait until the translations are done. I just counted and Season 3 was translated into over 30 languages.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 3
On 6/13/2024 at 8:40 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

The odd thing is they have literally announced they start filming this year.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

She said that part of the reason is that they have to wait until the translations are done. I just counted and Season 3 was translated into over 30 languages.

Just like Season 2, then.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Bridgerton does have a couple of legitimate production issues: they do a lot of shooting on location at historical sites, involving additional permits and all that. And there's the language situation - not just the translations but the ADR.  And the additional time needed for dance rehearsals and so on. So I'm willing to give a tiny bit of leeway here.

All that said I am willing to bet that this is mostly a Netflix decision. Their other major properties are all ending later this year or in 2025. That leaves new, unproven properties and Bridgerton, which not only could potentially continue for another four or five seasons, but which, as per Netflix's website, occupied three of the global top ten spots during the week of June 3 to June 9 (before the second part of season three came out.) 

So I think they want to ensure that they have something for 2026, and figure that - as with many films and some TV shows - viewers will return despite the hiatus.

That said, the stated production delays can be solved with money, so it will be interesting to see what happens over on Amazon with season two Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power and season three of Wheel of Time, which also feature popular franchises and short seasons with lengthy hiatuses. If they both struggle to retain viewers, we might - might - get the fourth season of Bridgerton a bit sooner. Though I'm not counting on it.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Conotocarious said:

When do they usually announce who the new season will feature as the main couple?

Whenever the showrunners get to the point to cast the new characters. Then it will depend on how coy they want to be with it. Seasons one and two had straightforward casting news that illustrated the diverse nature of the show. Season three had early confirmation that they were adapting book 4 instead of book 3 (Polin) and news about Francesca's casting change. I believe it was announced that Victor Alli was cast but not his role (John). It's had to tell when the showrunners will announce the plot of the next season when they have not even started it yet. My gut tells me it will be Benedict's season.

• Like 2

I think I may be giving up on this series. It's going the way of The Wheel of Time in going SOO off the rails and different than the source material. I want Fran and Michael, Eloise and Phil, Ben and Sophie. Don't change the core characters. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Atlanta said:

I think I may be giving up on this series. It's going the way of The Wheel of Time in going SOO off the rails and different than the source material. I want Fran and Michael, Eloise and Phil, Ben and Sophie. Don't change the core characters. 

At least we will always have the first two seasons 🥲

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

At least we will always have the first two seasons 🥲

Sadly I have little desire for the future and the end of Season Three had sort of a "finale" feel at the end so I am happy to leave it behind.

I was slowly drawn in by Season One and binged Season Two.  This season - well suffice to say that my intention to binge ran out rather quickly and I didn't finish it until yesterday when I had nothing else to do on a hot evening.

Can't put my finger on the exact issue(s) so I guess it was just a combination of things.  And it got to the point that I was so bored that I was counting the number of times that Pen was hyperventilating just to amuse myself.  Talk about heaving bosoms!

I did love the costumes despite the anachronisms.  Dang, the designers deserve medals for the range of designs and fabrics.

In summary, this ranks last in the seasons and does not make me look forward to the next one.

• Like 7

I feel the opposite - I thought this was one of the better seasons, and I'm interested in seeing what Bridgerton will do with Benedict, Eloise, and Francesca.

And seeing just how off the wall the costumes can get.

• Like 5

I guess I'm not buying any of the excuses for a 2 year wait between seasons.  In the good 'ol days of network tv, shows wouldn't know if they were renewed until late spring, yet were putting out 22+ episode seasons by the next fall. 

Yes, Bridgerton is a complex show to produce, but I can't see how it's that much more complex than something like The Gilded Age, which also uses historical sites, has tons of extras in elaborate outfits (including hats!), multiple sets of grand houses, etc.  And GA has about a 1 year wait between seasons.  Also, Bridgerton's source material already exists!  I know the writers still have to write the episodes, but having the source material as a general road map has to help.

I also don't buy Netflix driving this.  It's Shondaland.  They bring in so much money I can't see Netflix playing games with them on a production schedule.

So what's the real reason?  I haven't a clue. 

• Like 10
3 hours ago, chaifan said:

I guess I'm not buying any of the excuses for a 2 year wait between seasons.  In the good 'ol days of network tv, shows wouldn't know if they were renewed until late spring, yet were putting out 22+ episode seasons by the next fall. 

Yes, Bridgerton is a complex show to produce, but I can't see how it's that much more complex than something like The Gilded Age, which also uses historical sites, has tons of extras in elaborate outfits (including hats!), multiple sets of grand houses, etc.  And GA has about a 1 year wait between seasons.  Also, Bridgerton's source material already exists!  I know the writers still have to write the episodes, but having the source material as a general road map has to help.

I also don't buy Netflix driving this.  It's Shondaland.  They bring in so much money I can't see Netflix playing games with them on a production schedule.

So what's the real reason?  I haven't a clue. 

To be fair, back in the good old days of network TV and 22 episode seasons, shows were still filming in the fall and continued to film until spring - they usually came in with only four to six episodes wrapped and ready for broadcast. They also only had to mix one visual track (typically single camera) and, prior to the 90s, one soundtrack, typically mixed from just two or three tracks, and didn't have to worry about compressing files for streaming or creating different files for streaming on multiple different platforms, all of which are using different compression standards. 

So I'm not sure this is a great comparison to the current eight to ten episode streaming shows, all of which go through full post production prior to release, usually needing to create several different digital versions. Admittedly Netflix is not producing DVDs and Blu-rays, but they are releasing at least two versions: a compressed version and a "premium," uncompressed version, both of which have to be tweaked from digital files.

(If your immediate response after reading this is "So why the hell aren't they just offering ONE price point and digital standard instead of complicating everything, and while we're at it, why DOES every streaming service work with different digital standards, I am 100% with you but I don't run Netflix.)

And, to be entirely fair, The Gilded Age had a year and a half between seasons one and two, and hasn't started filming season three yet - so it's at least possible that they are looking at another year and a half or even two year gap.

So, even though I know I just blamed Netflix for this gap between seasons, I think it could just be part of the general trend that I'm seeing: these shorter streaming seasons getting released with longer and longer gaps. I mean, whatever else can be said about Game of Thrones, the first six seasons did come out on a more or less regular schedule each year. Season seven was a bit delayed, and season eight even more delayed. And now we have House of the Dragon, which also has had close to a two year gap between seasons one and two. 

And over on Amazon, at least two shows almost seem committed to two year gaps between seasons: Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power and Wheel of Time.

So it's not just Bridgerton - and Amazon, at least, presumably doesn't have the same cash problems that Netflix has sometimes - allegedly - had.

2 hours ago, Atlanta said:

Shondaland seems to be determined to make sure this series dies early.

If that's their hope, I think it's failing - Netflix released last week's TV viewing numbers, and Bridgerton: Season 3 is crushing everything else on the platform - Season 3 isn't just the number 1 show, but has a little more than 9 times the number of hours viewed than the second show on the list (Sweet Tooth: Season 3.)

Number 6 on the list: Bridgerton: Season 1. Number 9: Bridgerton: Season 2. 

Seasons 1 and 2 are also on Netflix's Top Ten Most Popular TV Shows on Netflix, in the fourth and ninth spots respectively. So....not Netflix's number one show of all time (that would be Wednesday), but definitely up there.

• Like 2
(edited)

Sellout: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/bridgerton-nicola-coughlan-stuns-skims-171400553.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

No way I'm going to watch a talented young woman shill for the plague family. 

I'm out.  I thought Nicola had a bit of class, but she's going to be lining the pockets of the most disgusting family in Hollywood.  Every one has a twisted self-image.

I hope it's worth it to her.  I wouldn't have even blinked if it were Spanx. 

She's unrecognizable, and not in a good way.  Just like the Kardashians.  Not a shred of self-acceptance in that decision to work for them. 

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 1

The actor playing Pruedence's husband made a post on instagram which strongly implies that the Featherington sisters will not appear in any more seasons of the show.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1

Though if - and it's a HUGE if - this show makes it to 8 seasons, I think it's at least possible that the show will try to drag everyone - or, well, everyone other than Simon - back for at least a cameo appearance in the series finale. Including the Featherington sisters and their husbands.

2 hours ago, PRgal said:

Aren’t there rumours of a limited series about Violet and Edmund?

Shonda said multiple times she finds their story intriguing and she would be happy to explore it someday, but nothing official has been confirmed.

• Like 2

That was a cute announcement video! I like Benedict and the actor playing him. So he's already got a massive advantage over Colin the dullest Bridgerton before the season ever airs.

Fingers crossed this new showrunner can deliver a good season. 🤞 I wonder how far off it is? I guess 2026 is most likely. But possibly Christmas '26.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
48 minutes ago, Kirsty said:

That was a cute announcement video! I like Benedict and the actor playing him. So he's already got a massive advantage over Colin the dullest Bridgerton before the season ever airs.

Fingers crossed this new showrunner can deliver a good season. 🤞 I wonder how far off it is? I guess 2026 is most likely. But possibly Christmas '26.

Reportedly, filming starts this September and ends in April, with extensive location shooting, followed by post-production, which for this show includes CGI, post-dubbing nearly everything in English, translation/dubbing into multiple languages, creating at least two different digital transfers, and presumably other things I'm not thinking of at the moment. So, let's say, optimistically, January 2026; more probably March or April 2026.

Fingers crossed that Netflix greenlights/funds season 5 while season 4 is in post, so that season 5 can be scripted in 2025 and possibly start filming in early 2026. I know you don't like doing this, Netflix, and that you have some current cash concerns, but your own Top Ten Most Popular TV, as of July 21, 2024, lists Bridgerton: Season 1 in 4th place and Bridgerton: Season 3 in 6th place. Pretty sure at least some of those viewers will stick around for season 5. 

• Like 3
On 7/26/2024 at 8:18 PM, Snazzy Daisy said:

Unfortunately, the article says nothing about Adjoa's criticisms, or any resolution.  I'm White.  I understand the issue many Black people have with how auto lighting on cameras (especially on phones) doesn't reflect their skin color correctly. But I don't know if this is the issue Adjoa is speaking about, or if it's another issue all together.  The article links to a podcast, but it would have been nice if the article explained what the issue was, and if it actually has a solution (which I would assume it does). 

• Like 1
On 8/3/2024 at 3:53 PM, chaifan said:

Unfortunately, the article says nothing about Adjoa's criticisms, or any resolution.  I'm White.  I understand the issue many Black people have with how auto lighting on cameras (especially on phones) doesn't reflect their skin color correctly. But I don't know if this is the issue Adjoa is speaking about, or if it's another issue all together.  The article links to a podcast, but it would have been nice if the article explained what the issue was, and if it actually has a solution (which I would assume it does). 

Her issue is that the industry is failing to light actors with dark skin properly, even on a racially diverse show such as Bridgerton, and she is having to speak up on set to ensure that the lighting is appropriate for someone of her skin tone - which is well beyond the job that she is there to do. The article did explain this, but if you are more interested in the history of why this is such a systemic problem, this article explains a bit more.

• Like 2
  • Useful 4

@secnarf  What I was saying is that the EW article says nothing more in the body than it does in the headline - that Adjoa is critical of how actors of color are lighted.  “The continuing conversation about lighting Black skin," Andoh said. "On every show, nothing’s changed.”  OK, so what's the "conversation"?  For readers without any prior knowledge of the problem, the article says nothing. 

My criticism isn't with Adjoa's remarks, it's that the EW article is incredibly weak and lacking any information.  OK, it's EW, I suppose I shouldn't have expected much.  The Guardian article you linked to is so much better, and explains the situation and how it's being solved.  Thank you.

• Like 1