Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: The End of Everything

• Start Topic

At the risk of putting more emphasis into this story-line than is warranted, why in the hell are the tapes — any of them — so important? Seriously. Can anyone answer? Is Al the only one who recorded things going to shit when the end started? I mean that’s what everyone does — records the hell out of everything. For every tape Al has, there would be countless others. So, why are Al’s tapes so special? Is there an answer? Or is this just a way to create suspense?

Still about the tapes, but on a smaller scale, did Al really have the time — and presence of mind — to hide that one tape (and why that one) in that Walker that was in the water? It seemed to be ... convoluted. And it was night. How could she see?

• Love 7
2 hours ago, SamBeckett said:

Still about the tapes, but on a smaller scale, did Al really have the time — and presence of mind — to hide that one tape (and why that one) in that Walker that was in the water? It seemed to be ... convoluted. And it was night. How could she see?

Walkers are presented to be so dangerous that you risk your life just getting near one and here's Al fumbling around in the dark on one leg to plant the tape on one while it's trying to bite her face.  How was someone else supposed to find the tape if she didn't survive, anyway?

And of course they both happen to be gay.  They couldn't just be two women who bonded through a life threatening situation and parted as friends. (giant eyeroll)

Isabelle's secret group who want to rebuild civilization are giving me Z Nation vibes.  I can't wait to see what their version of Numerica looks like.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, SamBeckett said:

At the risk of putting more emphasis into this story-line than is warranted, why in the hell are the tapes — any of them — so important? Seriously. Can anyone answer? Is Al the only one who recorded things going to shit when the end started? I mean that’s what everyone does — records the hell out of everything. For every tape Al has, there would be countless others. So, why are Al’s tapes so special? Is there an answer? Or is this just a way to create suspense?

I take it as they're important to Al for a lot of reasons she states, and we're just supposed to buy into her reasoning. 

And sure everyone was recording when things started, but I imagine they all pretty much curled up into a fetal position and gave up when they couldn't charge their iPhone batteries, and that was that.

Anyway... I just wish something had HAPPENED in this episode.  Just getting some actual information about the helicopter people would have made the episode feel worthwhile.  

And major eyeroll over the kiss.  I wasn't getting that between them at all.  Between that and Al's sacred tape mission this show needs some lessons in how to create some actual feelings in the audience instead of just telling us what we're supposed to feel about things.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, SamBeckett said:

4 hours ago, oakville said:

I was puzzled at why Isabelle was so desperate to find the tape. Who cares?

It made no sense for Al to hide it on a walker in the water.

That one tape mattered because it had proof on it that the helicopter people exist and Al recorded maps of their location (coded, but still risky if someone could decipher it) that she found on the body. So Isabel was desperate to find the tape to protect her group's location (and general existence).

As for her other tapes...they're probably not important to other people, but they are important to her personally. The bog tape, because she chose her job over her family and missed out on spending a last moment with her brother. So she wants to make that personal sacrifice matter by keeping a record of the story she made for future generations when there's a new world order. Otherwise she wasted their final hours together for nothing and she can't accept that. Everybody needs something to believe in or keep them going and I suppose that's it for her when everything else has gone to shit. The other tapes were a continuation of that but they started mattering even more to the whole group when they decided to track all those people down and help them instead of just asking for their story in exchange for some ramen noodles and send them on their way like Al did initially.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I'm actually enjoying this season because I like the characters, but the show is doing the same thing the mothership did-- separating everyone into their own storylines so it's weeks before we see someone again.  I like it better when they are all in one place, working together.

And we still don't know where the airplanes came from or why they are important.

• Love 2

On 7/1/2019 at 9:38 AM, Bad Example said:

And major eyeroll over the kiss.  I wasn't getting that between them at all.  

I had the opposite reaction. I was picking up on the chemistry between them right from the start, but I didn't think we'd see that acknowledged.

• Love 7

I loved the episode. I think it is one of my favorites. I thought the show did a good job building the bond between Al and Isabelle through out the hour. The minute Isabelle took off her helmet I thought she was a love interest for Al and something would happen between them.

• Love 3
On 7/1/2019 at 2:08 PM, CloudySky said:

That one tape mattered because it had proof on it that the helicopter people exist and Al recorded maps of their location (coded, but still risky if someone could decipher it) that she found on the body. So Isabel was desperate to find the tape to protect her group's location (and general existence).

As for her other tapes...they're probably not important to other people, but they are important to her personally. The bog tape, because she chose her job over her family and missed out on spending a last moment with her brother. So she wants to make that personal sacrifice matter by keeping a record of the story she made for future generations when there's a new world order. Otherwise she wasted their final hours together for nothing and she can't accept that. Everybody needs something to believe in or keep them going and I suppose that's it for her when everything else has gone to shit. The other tapes were a continuation of that but they started mattering even more to the whole group when they decided to track all those people down and help them instead of just asking for their story in exchange for some ramen noodles and send them on their way like Al did initially.

Is Isabel the one who knocked Al out in the first place? If so why didn't she take and destroy the tape at that time?

I am enjoying this season but I have no idea what is going on, even basic things. I don't know what state they're in, I don't understand the plane drama. I don't even understand their conversation about Isabel killing her partner. I don't know why Al was being dragged along, and I sure didn't understand the car being encircled with barbed wire. 

We have black ops, children of the corn and a nuclear scientist and they all confuse the heck out of me. One of our group said the devil kids are staying around because their dead parents are at a camp. I don't even remember such a camp and I see no reason these kids would not move on just because of that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 7/3/2019 at 1:04 AM, Iguessnot said:

One of our group said the devil kids are staying around because their dead parents are at a camp. I don't even remember such a camp and I see no reason these kids would not move on just because of that.

They went to a place (with the scientist) where everyone was dead with some stuck into the house. They were all know people from the scientist but they could be also the parents? I guess this is the place, not sure.

Edited by heisenberg
6 hours ago, heisenberg said:

They went to a place (with the scientist) where everyone was dead with some stuck into the house. They were all know people from the scientist but they could be also the parents? I guess this is the place, not sure.

Yeah, that's the only thing I can think of. But that episode went over my head. I know the lady was seeking out walkers with the lanyard so she could dispose of them properly, but I don't remember what she expected someone to do with a nuked walker coming at you. I don't think other walkers are going to hold back while one quarantines a nuked walker in the midst. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

Yeah, that's the only thing I can think of. But that episode went over my head. I know the lady was seeking out walkers with the lanyard so she could dispose of them properly, but I don't remember what she expected someone to do with a nuked walker coming at you. I don't think other walkers are going to hold back while one quarantines a nuked walker in the midst. 

It is one thing to hold a storyline to keep the interest and another to keep everything to force people tp follow the serie.  I feel like a fish being trolled through the episodes and I don't like that.

It is the same about my commentary about that lesbian episode without nudity.  I was not trying to do a bad joke.  What I was refering about (I should have developped) is that if it was season 1 or 2 the producers would show them naked to get people into the serie, they all do that now, TWD, GOT, Animal kingdom, etc..  They use nudity as a bate and once they have their public they stop.

Keeping the storyline is what they do when the serie get tired, aka Lost and Dexter.  I hope it won't be like that all the way.

1 hour ago, heisenberg said:

It is one thing to hold a storyline to keep the interest and another to keep everything to force people tp follow the serie.  I feel like a fish being trolled through the episodes and I don't like that.

It is the same about my commentary about that lesbian episode without nudity.  I was not trying to do a bad joke.  What I was refering about (I should have developped) is that if it was season 1 or 2 the producers would show them naked to get people into the serie, they all do that now, TWD, GOT, Animal kingdom, etc..  They use nudity as a bate and once they have their public they stop.

Keeping the storyline is what they do when the serie get tired, aka Lost and Dexter.  I hope it won't be like that all the way.

I didn't watch the show until last Tuesday. But when I realized the show aired on June 30th, I I knew they would show a romantic interlude between the two.

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:23 AM, cdnalor said:

Walkers are presented to be so dangerous that you risk your life just getting near one and here's Al fumbling around in the dark on one leg to plant the tape on one while it's trying to bite her face.  How was someone else supposed to find the tape if she didn't survive, anyway?

And of course they both happen to be gay.  They couldn't just be two women who bonded through a life threatening situation and parted as friends. (giant eyeroll)

Isabelle's secret group who want to rebuild civilization are giving me Z Nation vibes.  I can't wait to see what their version of Numerica looks like.

I was kinda hoping Isabelle was going to kill Al, the only cool thing she added to the series was her ride.  Speaking of Z Nation, at least that series is fun to watch.

• Love 2

I agree with previous posters; I don't know what the heck is going on.  I just watch with the closed captioning on and don't invest in attention because I don't thing anything makes sense.  When did Al tape the helicopter pilot and record all that coded information?  Did we see it?  I don't recall.  And then she hid that tape in a wet walker in a stream?  Why?  Wouldn't the tape get wet?  I am so confused by all of this.  Good thing I don't care all that much.

• Love 1
On 7/1/2019 at 7:38 AM, Bad Example said:

And major eyeroll over the kiss.  I wasn't getting that between them at all. 

umm.... they said the night before that they were going to spend the night together, but tomorrow it would be back to business as usual.

On 8/26/2019 at 3:13 AM, wrlord said:

umm.... they said the night before that they were going to spend the night together, but tomorrow it would be back to business as usual.

I just got around to watching this one.  That comment flew right over my head, I thought she meant they're talking & telling stories & drinking beer now, but it's business as usual tomorrow.