Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread: The Final Countdown

scarynikki12
  • Start Topic

Uggggg I was so excited for half a second when I saw that Kat McNamara was getting a spin-off, as I love her and Mia, but then I found out that we would be stuck with freaking Dianh and Not Laurel too, which was a real buzzkill. Stop trying to make her happen! Its not going to happen! I am really hoping that it will be mostly centered around Mia/Connor/William, who have a great Team Arrow 2.0 vibe already, with Dinah around as a kind of mentor type and BS...is around, and they are just focusing on the most well known names in early marketing. I mean, its right there! What could be a really fun spin-off! I hope to god its about them and not Dinah teaching Mia how to join her flock of canaries. Pass. 

So they are bringing everyone back for the last season! I am really glad they focused on Oliver in that trailer, so much of the show had drifted away from him (and not often in good directions) I want him to be front and center for his big goodbye. Even after everything, its so weird thinking about this being the last season...

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

So they are bringing everyone back for the last season! I am really glad they focused on Oliver in that trailer, so much of the show had drifted away from him (and not often in good directions) I want him to be front and center for his big goodbye. Even after everything, its so weird thinking about this being the last season...

Even though I'm not super psyched about the season, that was a really good, well cut together trailer. Smart move starting with Oliver talking about his family. Is the woman in the trailer who says "good luck" the one who the League was left with? She looks different.

Also, this made me laugh and laugh:

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The more I think about it, the less it works. I could see Next Gen OTA as a spinoff with William as the snarky tech guy, Mia as the hero-in-training with the chip on her shoulder, and Connor as the earnest do-gooder. They're a balanced team in terms of skills and personality. But Mia, Dinah, and BS are the same character archtypes-- sullen, cynical fighters. What would the 3 of them do week after week, stand around scowling with their their arms crossed in between beating up bad guys?  

Edited by lemotomato
  • LOL 2
  • Love 15

The deadline page in that link no longer exists. I wonder if it was a mistake or a hoax.

CW already has Supergirl, Batwoman and Legends which has 2 female bosses and is predominantly female at this point.  Black Lightning is named after the guy but he fights with his two daughters. The only male CW superhero at this point is The Flash.

There is no need for another female-centric show. They should be looking instead for another male-centric one.

They better just be focused on the well known names at this point because having Mia stuck in the past without her team/brother or some reset where he doesn't exist after two seasons of them learning to be a team is weird, even with COIE. But I guess this goes with my idea that KC will still be there even when everyone else has turned out the lights and gone home.

Her I get but why JH as well? I know they pitched something together but yeah they're similar characters and she's not particularly well liked. There are a lot of fighters in BOP so I guess they think it can work and they'll be personality changes as someone said up thread. 

Still unsure about the season as a whole but I enjoyed that trailer. 

From the articles:

The new superhero squad is a next-generation version of Team Arrow with the costumed offspring of the original membership. At the center of the next-gen collective is Smoak, the fierce daughter of Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) aka Green Arrow, the central character of Arrow and the former mayor of Star City.

I don't know if that still hints at it being set in the future (maybe COIE took young BS and Dinah there?) or if it's just a phrase based on the fact that it's the next version of Team Arrow and Mia's the main character. It does sound like there should be more "next gen" characters around. If Mia's in the past we're going to run into the Amaya on LOT problem soon enough. Or maybe it just got fused together. Don't even know why I'm bothering with such limited info.

7 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

How many people does it take to write 1 pilot? And oh how I wish we were done with MG! Especially given the fact he doesn't seem that interested in Canaries. 

Flash, Arrow, Supergirl pilots were written by 3 people, LoT pilot was written by 4 people, only Batwoman and Black Lightning were outliers, seems par for the course. MG and Beth will probably come up with the story and Beth, Oscar, and Jill will probably write it.

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

William as the snarky tech guy, Mia as the hero-in-training with the chip on her shoulder, and Connor as the earnest do-gooder.

Not only are they a tailor made power trio with unique skills and personalities, but they are also basically a recreation of OTA, but with enough differences to not seem like a cut and paste. Mia is the Oliver, angsty badass, Willian is the Felicity, the snarky tech guro, and Connor is the Diggle, the well meaning badass who serves as angsty persons moral compass. Its right there! 

16 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

How many people does it take to write 1 pilot? And oh how I wish we were done with MG! Especially given the fact he doesn't seem that interested in Canaries. 

What is that quote about thousands of monkeys with thousands of typewriters? 😉 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

If Mia's in the past we're going to run into the Amaya on LOT problem soon enough.

It reminds me of the need to bring Sara back from the dead in order to sell Legends of Tomorrow.

If they have to put KM in to make a show with KC and JH work, maybe it's time to have a new idea.

I'm bitter. I was looking forward a show to replace Arrow. A plethora of Canaries is not it.

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

If Mia's in the past we're going to run into the Amaya on LOT problem soon enough. 

No, not really.  I mean, not that it will necessarily make sense (this is Arrow).  But the problem with Amaya was that changing her past meant wiping out her future granddaughters.  We don’t know anything about Mia’s future or descendants, so that isn’t necessarily an issue.  But I do wonder what it might mean for, well, everything, if that entire timeline gets erased.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

If Mia's in the past we're going to run into the Amaya on LOT problem soon enough. Or maybe it just got fused together. Don't even know why I'm bothering with such limited info.

Mia is more of a Zari in this instance (if she does go to the past). Amaya had a clear cut destiny she had to fulfill (with giving birth to the next generation and dying for her people) whereas Mia can run around the past and help influence the future. But of course they'd just do the whole "destined to happen".

22 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

It reminds me of the need to bring Sara back from the dead in order to sell Legends of Tomorrow.

If they have to put KM in to make a show with KC and JH work, maybe it's time to have a new idea.

I'm bitter. I was looking forward a show to replace Arrow. A plethora of Canaries is not it.

I think this is just 3 actresses they want to keep and someone thought "why try 2 warring ideas and not just mash them into 1?" But if this happens i just cant wait to see MG HAVING to write both LL/DD as totally likable and give them quality content instead of half assing their storylines.

• Love 1

Why are they including the two washed up birds in the new pilot?

Has KC got no other employment opportunities?

And JH??? That's bizzare! I can sorta understand KC being in it (gonna die on the CW that one) as she's got her fans but JH is a nobody and her character is universally disliked. 

Genuinely baffled 🤔

• Love 2

When they were still planning to have an Emiko led Arrow they looked to have wanted to keep Dinah since they removed her cry which also removed any power conflict with the movie. And Cassidy’s development deal is no doubt still in effect. So I get it but I want my Future Team Arrow. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

When they were still planning to have an Emiko led Arrow they looked to have wanted to keep Dinah since they removed her cry which also removed any power conflict with the movie. And Cassidy’s development deal is no doubt still in effect. So I get it but I want my Future Team Arrow. 

This makes a lot of sense to me. We'll see what happens post-crossover, but if the setting is still 2040 and the series gets picked up, I'm guessing the rest of the next gen actors will sign on and be the focus. It's the CW -- they're not going to focus on the 50-somethings. I can see it working like Riverdale: yeah, there are older/parental characters who have their own storylines but they're not the driving force of the show.

From a pure PR point of view, I get why the CW would want to kick off talk about a potential spinoff with the "female trio" angle, instead of just Mia fronting it solo (too similar to Batwoman) or Mia with a bunch of dudes like Connor, William, JJ (not how the CW is positioning itself right now). 

• Love 3

Watched the trailer. All I’ll say is it’s very action-y. (Albeit, I watched it on my phone and probably missed a lot of it.) Actually, it’s been about 7 minutes since I watched it, and I can’t remember most of it. Probably says something about it. 

Also, if 809 is the backdoor pilot for the spinoff, and if any of it is about grieving for Oliver, will they honestly expect me to care about Laurel and Dinah then? At all?

Considering how hard the CW is pushing its PR as being a diverse network (which, good for them trying harder at least) you would think a Mia/William/Conner team would look good to them. I mean, you have a female lead, and the other leads are a black man and a gay or bisexual man, which you would think would get their Woke senses tingling. 

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

What is Cassidy's development deal? Does it mean that she gets to star in a show or just pitch and produce one?

I think it usually lets actors get first dibs on tv shows....but I dont think this has to do with any old development deal from 10 years ago. They wouldn't have bothered to kill her off in S4 if that was the case. 

• Useful 1
53 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

No, not really.  I mean, not that it will necessarily make sense (this is Arrow).  But the problem with Amaya was that changing her past meant wiping out her future granddaughters.  We don’t know anything about Mia’s future or descendants, so that isn’t necessarily an issue.  But I do wonder what it might mean for, well, everything, if that entire timeline gets erased.

Well I was kind of meaning with the entire timeline as we know it getting erased since we will have spent around 29-30 eps in it and got to know Future Team Arrow which is supposed to be a big thing this season. If Mia is (entirely hypothetically) running around 2020 post COIE is she supposed to stop it and stop herself becoming that guarded badass who was raised in a cabin in the woods etc? 

Of course COIE muddies those waters anyway. Even if they can't get EBR back I'm going to assume since The Monitor was there it's post COIE, so Felicity still gets her good ending no matter what they might try and pull. 

I get maybe not wanting all Legacy characters but it will be a waste if it doesn't also have Connor and William after they've been in Team Arrow School all season. 

24 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Considering how hard the CW is pushing its PR as being a diverse network (which, good for them trying harder at least) you would think a Mia/William/Conner team would look good to them. I mean, you have a female lead, and the other leads are a black man and a gay or bisexual man, which you would think would get their Woke senses tingling. 

Yeah, but "hashtag feminism!" is catchier.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Looks like they may have already filmed together.

So Mia goes to the present? Or did the actors just take a pic together because of the news and that they happened to be around like when SA took a pic with EBR, KM, and BL last season? This isn't sarcasm, I legitimately am confused if Mia randomly goes to the present.

Edited by way2interested
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Considering how hard the CW is pushing its PR as being a diverse network (which, good for them trying harder at least) you would think a Mia/William/Conner team would look good to them.l I mean, you have a female and the other leads are a black man and a gay or bisexual man, which you would think would get their Woke senses tingling. 

Juliana is mixed race, this is her mom. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTCrmFHTe_Xcu14iSsyDO

I still think one or both men could still join. 

Edited by suncity
58 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

What is Cassidy's development deal? Does it mean that she gets to star in a show or just pitch and produce one?

Super general explanation: Without knowing specific details my guess is that it includes a combination of first choice among pilots (which tracks with her story of how she got Arrow) and a certain number of chances to star/co-star in network shows before the deal expires. When a network likes an actor they will offer them these deals to keep them around to potentially earn them (the network) some money. That's when you see the same actors get used repeatedly by the network, either by joining existing casts or getting the chance to lead their own shows no matter how the previous role(s) worked out. If you've ever screamed in frustration because Actor X, who you absolutely hated in Show 1 and was thrilled when their character got killed off, is now joining Show 2 (which you love beyond all reason) or leading Show 3 (which is based on your favorite book growing up), the deal is often the basis for those events. The shows still make the decision to hire/keep them, and then fire them if it doesn't work out, so it's not like the deal is this untouchable thing. With regard to Cassidy it's unlikely that her original deal* is still in effect but she's also said that she's friends/friendly with the CW higher ups, and is well known for being on their shows (as recently as the Arrow panel at Comic Con she was being called the Queen of the CW), so maybe she was able to negotiate a lengthy one. I don't really know the likelihood or logistics of that so it's just my speculation.

*Some of these deals do include production credit so the best confirmation (short of an article or behind the scenes info) of a new deal would be if she gets listed as a producer on the new show.

One thing is for sure and that is she's not giving up Laurel or her doppelgangers for anything.

As for the episode itself I can't decide if it's going to be set in the future or not. It would make sense due to Mia but the CW isn't going to want to keep dressing up the birds as 50+ year olds when the actors aren't even close to that age. When the possibility of a Future Team Arrow show arose I settled on them being like Rip from LOT: out of their time and unable to return (as it doesn't exist anymore do to recent events-Savage's death for Rip and Crisis for FTA) so they're stuck in the present with only each other and any new friends/allies they meet along the way, and they work to make the best of their new situation. I don't know if all of that can fit into a backdoor pilot necessarily but that's how I'd go. Oh, and I wouldn't set it in Star City in this scenario but have the kids go to another DC city for their fresh start. What I think is more likely to happen is that Dinah and/or Siren somehow end up in the future and get stuck there. Can you imagine if Dinah's artfully dyed grey hair and obvious makeup lines around her eyes turns out to be on purpose and she did it because she accidentally and permanently ended up in the future? And she got away with it because everyone she interacted with doesn't seem to actually look at her so they just accepted that she was in her fifties? I guess her blaming Oliver for everything wrong in the world would be the result of him helping The Monitor and being involved in the event that sends her to the future? I don't know but at this point why not. Can't think of a reason she wouldn't mention all of this to Roy, William, Mia, Felicity, Rene, etc, that isn't flat out stupid.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, lemotomato said:

But Mia, Dinah, and BS are the same character archtypes-- sullen, cynical fighters. What would the 3 of them do week after week, stand around scowling with their their arms crossed in between beating up bad guys?  

what if the they are the same actors contracted but will play new characters. With the multiverse in action and post crisis, there is no telling where this could end up.  They got Erica Durance playing two different characters, and Brandon Routh too im guessing, so who knows. 

Edited by suncity

I wouldn't object to doppelgangers for Dinah or Siren, cause they can easily just say they come from an Earth that moves more slowly so they're in their twenties/thirties while the Earth Prime and Earth 2 ones are in their fifties. It would even allow them to write better versions of each. But I want the Mia in the spinoff to be our Mia. I don't want a Helena Bertinelli/Helena Wayne situation at all. Kat would no doubt be great but I want the Mia I already know and am invested in. Same with William, Connor, and Zoe. Those characters need to be the ones we already have.

• Love 4

Not exactly Birds of Prey, but - 'Arrow’ Spinoff Starring Katherine McNamara, Katie Cassidy & Juliana Harkavy Set As CW Backdoor Pilot

The project, which comes from Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros Television, is being set up as a backdoor pilot that will air as episode from the upcoming eighth and final season of Arrow. It will be written by Beth Schwartz, Marc Guggenheim, Jill Blankenship and Oscar Balderrama.

• Love 2

I don't think they'll be bringing in different versions, unless they merge E1 LL, which is actually less likely now there's a potential spin off. We'll get a lot of her this season being the snarky "good guy" on the path to redemption and they're hoping it will make her even more popular than the things they did with Felicity last year. 

I do hope we get some more info soon. I guess it's too much to hope that there's any official explanation of when and where (and how) until after COIE but if we know William and Connor are filming or not or other characters are specifically being cast that would point to any of the above. 

I don't think that pic means they've necessarily filmed together or Mia goes to the present, it's just a random/celebration pic to release when the news came out. 

Edited by Featherhat

I think they'll definitely be doing some rebooting of all three should this make it to series. Crisis has to have some big ramifications for this universe and no easier way than having the newest show explore that. If Mia isn't in the future I could see her as one of the few leftovers from Pre-Crisis who is somehow kicked out of a future that no longer exists.

Will this take place in Star City though? Or will they move it to a new city? Will Dinah still be police captain? Laurel known to be BC? so many questions.  But it'd be nice to see those 2 properly developed. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm not surprised to see Laurel and Dinah join in the spinoff. You know what they say - if at first you don't succeed, you try (Sara), try (Laurel), try (Evelyn), try (Dinah), try (Laurel again), try (Zoe), try (rebooted spinoff Laurel?), try (rebooted spinoff Dinah?) again!

It would be very Arrow to completely obliterate the world building they've spent a whole season and a half doing, so I wouldn't be surprised if they reconfigured the premise outside of the flash forwards. They kind of have to anyway, since the Canary Network made the name lose whatever prestige it had left after so many people held it in the present. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

I think they'll definitely be doing some rebooting of all three should this make it to series. Crisis has to have some big ramifications for this universe and no easier way than having the newest show explore that. If Mia isn't in the future I could see her as one of the few leftovers from Pre-Crisis who is somehow kicked out of a future that no longer exists.

Will this take place in Star City though? Or will they move it to a new city? Will Dinah still be police captain? Laurel known to be BC? so many questions.  But it'd be nice to see those 2 properly developed. 

But The Monitor opened the portal for Felicity suggesting it was supposed to be Post Crisis. Oh well, it's probably not going to make sense since there definitely will be repercussions from COIE if this makes it to series. To have current versions of Dinah and Siren if nothing else.

It will just be really frustrating after spending a season and a half on the FFs and me actually liking William (and if William gets wiped out sucks for Oliver who's sacrificing himself for his family and Felicity and all the crap story telling we had to get to this point).

I know in the comics Green Arrow is not always in Star City, but since Mia is taking up that mantle officially wouldn't they want to keep her there in the Arrowverse since it's been such a big deal to save the city? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Trini said:

It feels like they are wanting to merge the 'Future Team Arrow' and 'Canaries/Bird of Prey' spinoff ideas.

I think they pretty much did. Kind of like when BR's Atom spin off became LOT because they didn't think Atom would work on it's own and they had a lot of B list characters to merge into a team. 

Whether or not it will work is a different matter. 

• Love 3

I am not interested in watching the spin-off in real time.  I think I'll sit the season out (assuming it gets picked up) and wait to binge in later if it's well received.  Arrow was hard enough to watch in real time (I really think it's a better binge show), but I was emotionally tied to that.  If the spin-off is centered around Mia/Laurel/Dinah, my emotional tie to it is low.  I like Mia, but not enough to be frustrated with the rest of it.  

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

But The Monitor opened the portal for Felicity suggesting it was supposed to be Post Crisis. Oh well, it's probably not going to make sense since there definitely will be repercussions from COIE if this makes it to series. To have current versions of Dinah and Siren if nothing else.

I didn't like that they had the Monitor show up in the future for that confusing reason. At this moment in time I just justify it (confusingly) with The Monitor going to the future pre-Crisis and kind of securing a place for Oliver beforehand that he was able to take Felicity. But it'd be stupid (but very Arrow) to spoil the outcome of Crisis by showing the Monitor survives even though I think his death is pretty pivotal in the (comic) Crisis.

7 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

I think they'll definitely be doing some rebooting of all three should this make it to series.

Might not be necessary to reboot all three, they just need to remove the double canaries, its a bit redundant to have both. One of the canaries could/should have a new codename, different hero. Like Blackhawk,, Starling or something original. 

Will this take place in Star City though? Or will they move it to a new city?

If they want to make it different from Arrow, they should do road trip stories to Gotham, Hub City, Ivy Town, Coastal city etc but still mostly based in Star City. A bit like how DC Universe Titans show is like. Otherwise its just Arrow 2;0. 

Edited by suncity
5 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

I didn't like that they had the Monitor show up in the future for that confusing reason. At this moment in time I just justify it (confusingly) with The Monitor going to the future pre-Crisis and kind of securing a place for Oliver beforehand that he was able to take Felicity. But it'd be stupid (but very Arrow) to spoil the outcome of Crisis by showing the Monitor survives even though I think his death is pretty pivotal in the (comic) Crisis.

I just think it's the straightforward way as presented. As of 722, the "Crisis" that comes in 2019 is able to be stopped but causes Oliver's "death" but 20+years later The Moniter comes (doesn't matter if he's supposed to die in the comics, the exact comics canon isn't really going to apply, as Barry and Kara are obviously not going to die) and brings Felicity to where Oliver really is. S8 would then be what happens to Oliver, where is he, and what happens in Crisis/the future. Yeah, they spoil that they stop the Crisis technically by having a future still exist, but eh? Flash technically does this all the time, and even did this already by having Nora come back to the present.

Maybe the spinoff will change that, but as of right now there's no need to justify/change what happened in Arrow so far since there's literally no other information for the spinoff other than who's in it (with even some articles assuming this will take place in 2040, kinding of nixing the idea of a displaced Mia in the present)

Other media reporting (in addition to the above-linked Deadline article) - it's interesting how some media reports focus on Mia Smoak, while other media reports focus on her and the Canaries...

Arrow developing female-centric backdoor pilot starring Katherine McNamara
By Chancellor Agard September 24, 2019
https://ew.com/tv/2019/09/24/arrow-female-centric-backdoor-pilot/

'Arrow': Female-Led Spinoff in the Works at The CW
SEPTEMBER 24, 2019 10:00am PT by Rick Porter, Lesley Gol
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/arrow-female-led-spinoff-works-at-cw-1242882

Kat McNamara's Mia Smoak Is Getting an Arrow Spinoff
By Amanda Bell | @amandajunebell | Sep 24, 2019
https://www.tvguide.com/news/arrow-spinoff-kat-mcnamara-mia-smoak/?ftag=COS-05-10aaa3b

‘Arrow’ Spinoff Starring Katherine McNamara, Katie Cassidy, Juliana Harkavy in Development at CW
By JOE OTTERSON   September 24, 2019
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/arrow-canaries-spinoff-katherine-mcnamara-katie-cassidy-juliana-harkavy-cw-1203347438/

CW to Develop ‘Arrow’ Spinoff About Oliver Queen’s Daughter and The Canaries
Tim Baysinger | September 24, 2019 
https://www.thewrap.com/arrow-spinoff-mia-smoak-the-canary-network/

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Here's the youtube version...

Arrow | Sacrifice Extended Trailer | The CW
Published on September 24, 2019, by The CW Network

Spotted (there's more) - Oliver (including him looking at a photo of himself with Felicity and newborn Mia), Diggle, Tommy,  nightclub scene, Deathstroke mask, dead people inside a facility, someone using Moira Queen's access card, Mia Smoak, E2 Laurel, strange woman in black, adult JJ Diggle, Thea, fight scenes, motorcycles, Tatsu/Katana, Talia al Ghul, and Lyla.

-- Oliver (voiceover): "The only way this is bearable for me is if I make certain my sacrifice, my death, will protect the people I love."

-- Oliver (voiceover): "There is a Crisis coming." Diggle (voiceover): "We are facing the destruction of pretty much everything."

-- Unidentified woman wearing black outfit: "Good luck."

-- E2 Laurel (to Oliver and Diggle): "Nice of you to show up."

-- Adult JJ Diggle: "This is the night that we have been waiting for. The city will be ours."

-- Thea: "Less talking, more fighting."

-- Unidentified woman/Thea? (voiceover): "Indiana Jones made the [unintelligible word-subway?] more fun."

-- Oliver (voiceover): "History's repeating itself."

-- Moira (voiceover): "Oliver?"  Oliver: "Hi, Mom."

Edited by tv echo