Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread: The Final Countdown

scarynikki12
  • Start Topic

People on Twitter seem upset but some sort of paradise dimension thing was what I expected. He might still fix some things in the past. Keeping Oliver as Spectre frees him to come back for the crossovers. 

In the comments he added this (Sonuvabitch being Lance):

”Tommy, Moira, Sonuvabich are alive. Ragman is present along with Talia, Thea, Nyssa, Barry, Kara and Mia’

• Love 3
1 hour ago, apinknightmare said:

8x 10 spoilers From the Reddit user who spoiled the crossover

The entire EP is a funeral memorial.

A falling green ring box from space proposes to John Diggle

Felicity 2040 from last season gets transported to the afterlife(?) with Spectre Oliver

They’ll usually answer questions in the comments.

I don`t think that sounds too bad actually. They were not going to undo his death, they made this clear. So what else was the episode gonna be but a memorial on its own and trying to establish and honor his legacy. 

So him and Felicity, the Felicity who lived through everything as it actually happened, joining in some sort of afterlife is as happy an ending as it was gonna be.   

I can deal with bittersweet. And the Season 7 Finale did set up bittersweet. Not paying that off would have been bitter but apparently they do. The rest is what fanfic is for. 

So Kara goes to the funeral as well? Kinda makes sense. 

I wanted Slade there also, though. I was so happy Oliver repaired all my favourite bromances over the course of the show.

• Love 2

Ok that bit cracked me up. I wish it would lead to a DR in the HBO Max series announcement but I doubt it. 

So assuming this is correct it seems like paradise dimension is on and they haven't actually changed anything from 7x22 just added two deaths and Oliver as Spectre to provide the possibility of guest spots in crossovers or if the spin off actually gets picked up which isn't particularly surprising since JH basically spoiled that with wanting SA to guest star.

Still not sure I like everyone being alive but I'm sure I'll cope. 😉

So E1Laurel is alive and there are two Laurels like there are others popping up in Supergirl, Batwoman and the Flash etc? 

I kind of assume there will be some gotchas and surprises beyond what's already been spoiled because they put those very spoilery pics out there early on but I liked the ending last season so this sounds ok. There are a lot of worse things they could have done. 

• Love 2

8x 10 spoilers From the Reddit user who spoiled the crossover

The entire EP is a funeral memorial.

Felicity 2040 from last season gets transported to the afterlife(?) with Spectre Oliver

They’ll usually answer questions in the comments.

Well looks like MG was warning folks on the After Crisis show he said he and SA have always maintained that Oliver would die when the show ends. I wish he got a full happy ending raising Willam and Mia with Felicity but I'm not surprised by this end at all

Just now, Mellowyellow said:

So who raises the Mia in the spin off? Another Felicity? And where is that one?

I wont be surprised if the Spinoff gets greenlit that we get answers on that from Mia or William or Both. They might "Kill" Felicity offscreen or something like that 

I’d come to terms with the paradise dimension ending a long time ago. Arrow writers are nothing if not awful and predictable. 🙄😂

14 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Felicity still raises her. She only goes to Oliver in 2040. 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Angel12d said:

I’d come to terms with the paradise dimension ending a long time. Writers are nothing if not awful and predictable. 🙄😂

Felicity still raises her. She only goes to Oliver in 2040. 

But it'll be a different Felicity? Not the one in 722.

This one would have loved a different life and raised both kids?

3 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

It says "Felicity 2040" so presumably like before she raises Mia and now William as well in the Queen Mansion and sets up a very successful Smoak Tech to be able to fund their lifestyle and again has just left before the spin off starts as Mia is now 20-21 and graduated etc. They aren't going to want "where's Felicity when William is kidnapped and Mia has blood pouring down her face..." 

Depending on everything if the spin off goes forward they might even get ST to guest star as a very well preserved Moira.

At least COIE let them kill Oliver (twice) and give him an ending with Olicity together even if they can't have the kids with them as well. And Oliver has apparently resurrected all his dead friends and family for each other. 

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

2040 is different now. So she’s still our Felicity but she would’ve raised Mia and William together and not in hiding because the future changed. Correct me if I’m wrong but the old 2040 storyline doesn’t exist anymore. 

I don’t know why Reddit spoiler dude is saying ‘Felicity from last season’ when it’s making it sound more complicated than it is. 

I would guess that they’re gonna re-do the Felicity and Monitor scene in the new 2040. If I had to guess? 

9 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I presume since they have EBR they're going to reshoot the footage if they need to, to make it clear it's the Felicity that raised William and Mia together rather than a random time remnant from a timeline that no longer exists. Or it's just her coming through to the other side no real need to change it.

As I said they're not going to want an extra Felicity wandering around. Spoiler guy isn't exactly being precise in his wording and I guess he might mean that they didn't drastically change the ending so they really do Dark Knight Rises it in Aruba or Felicity goes off travelling the world pre GA&TC as a 50 year old rich empty nester ala Cat Grant tried. 

Edited by Featherhat
1 minute ago, Angel12d said:

I would guess that they’re gonna re-do the Felicity and Monitor scene in the new 2040. If I had to guess? 

I'm guessing they are keeping the same footage (gotta save that $$$) from 722 but saying it's from the new 2040, and then add an Olicity scene to it.

6 minutes ago, way2interested said:

I'm guessing they are keeping the same footage (gotta save that $$$) from 722 but saying it's from the new 2040, and then add an Olicity scene to it.

Oh probably. They are cheap. But it would be from the new 2040 for sure. 

27 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

So E1Laurel is alive and there are two Laurels like there are others popping up in Supergirl, Batwoman and the Flash etc? 

Where did you get this? Reddit guy specifically didn’t mention E1 LL in his list of “people who are alive again”. 

10 minutes ago, way2interested said:

I’m guessing they are keeping the same footage (gotta save that $$$) from 722 but saying it's from the new 2040, and then add an Olicity scene to it.

Yeah the glimpse of her and the Monitor in the trailer seems to be from 7x22 but it’s possible the reunion scene adds some dialogue that explains she’s different? I’m hoping we do get some kind of post-reunion conversation, but I can also see the writers have it so she steps into the portal, they are both magically de-aged, and they gaze out onto the saved city. 

One thing I’m holding onto is that even though the Reddit guy is usually right, he doesn’t like Olicity and he never mentions the big emotional moments. He just drop spoilers like he’s reciting a grocery list, but it could still be amazing. 

This person is sharing panels from the new comic (which looks awesomely Felicity-centric) but it ends with her knowing Oliver will turn into the spectre and die. I wonder if they are going to address why/how she knows that the Monitor can reunite them in 2040?

• Love 1

Spectre Oliver doing Spectre things would explain why he was able to give everyone a fresh start except himself. 

I kind of like this slightly changed ending. For one thing, Oliver’s not dead. Him being the Spectre the whole time opens up the possibility that he might have dropped in on his family once in a while. 

I guess I had accepted that a reset where Oliver gets to live a normal life after all was a really long shot for this show, and at least they didn’t reset everything to the beginning, which was my least favorite option. 

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Where did you get this? Reddit guy specifically didn’t mention E1 LL in his list of “people who are alive again”. 

Sorry I saw I saw her name in with Moira, Tommy and Lance but my brain must have added her automatically for some reason. You're right.

• Love 1

Not gonna lie, part of me thought, might we finally get a Felicity/Tommy scene? But I suppose I should just be happy if they’re on screen at the same time.

(Still annoyed we never got a scene with Oliver, Felicity, Diggle and Tommy after Tommy found out in S1)

• Love 2

I'm okay with this ending. Happy things on Arrow always come with a heaping helping of angsty bullshit, so I expected the 20 years to hold somehow. I guess 20 years is a small price to pay for the rest of eternity together. A nice surprise - if Oliver is indeed still the Spectre (it's tough to say since he died not looking like the corpse he was when he was a god) - would be if he were still allowed to check in on them from time to time. 

The comic left me feeling better about the whole thing, since Felicity knew what was going to become of him and why he had to do it -so it's not like he disappeared and she doesn't know where he is (unless MG and co. ignore the comic canon like they do sometimes!).

If Oliver is still Spectre I really hope he doesn't have to spend eternity looking like...that. Go back to your pre-corpse self pls thank you.

• Love 5

Here be quite a few potential spoilers for the finale. Obviously take with a pinch of salt but some more details from the link posted above:

The spoilerguy has said the plot of the finale is that William gets kidnapped (again) and the last big Team Arrow mission is to rescue him. Mia talks to little William. Mia's there because Sara is apparently a taxi service for Arrow characters right there. Sara and Nyssa have a brief moment where Nyssa calls her "beloved" again. - Ava will just love that.

Digg gives the Eulogy of course. 

Black Siren has quite a bit of screentime talking to people like Thea, Tommy and Quentin and they accept E1 is forever dead but she and Tommy were previously married in the Earth Prime reality. - So That resets KCs headcannon scenes. 

Slade appears in an altered flashback (so he doesn't kill Moira perhaps) - He didn't specify. Robert and Malcolm are still dead because they were essential to him becoming GA. - Even though Tommy and Moira also changed his course but it's pick and choose time.

Oliver spares a specific person on the list. 

Roy proposes to Thea on that roof. - No word if she accepts. 

There's one Olicity scene, which is what we've been guessing - the final scene in the afterlife. Star City is their afterlife/paradise dimension, where Oliver is definitely dead (possibly Spectre). They look like their 2020 selves and it's 2-3 minutes long. - I'm guessing it's post 2040 for Felicity.

We don't really find out anything about how the resurrected characters have lived their lives since not dying in this reality or how that has changed things. - Apart from presumably less angst. 

He said the ep was quite bland and gave it a GOT/Dexter finale comparison, which seems pretty harsh. Still not a fan of all these characters coming back but this was set up last year.

Edited by Featherhat
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
6 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

He said the ep was quite bland and gave it a GOT/Dexter finale comparison, which seems pretty harsh. Still not a fan of all these characters coming back but this was set up last year.

Plus, like one of the main reasons people hated those (and HIMYM) finales is that characters were doing things that were against development or against what the characters would do in general just to get to a wrap up. For all intents and purposes, that is definitely not what happens here. Oliver being gone is a bummer for a finale I get, but the way he died was very much in character, as is Felicity waiting until her kids are grown up and safe to be with him like she promised.. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, insomniadreams88 said:

I don’t hate what I’m reading about the finale, but I also doubt I’m going to consider it in my top 5 series finales? Maybe even top 10?

I'm just glad that it's likely it won't be near my top 10 worst list XD

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

The spoiler guy refers to Felicity as "Fefe" and the stuff about Olicity as "Olicity shit." If he disliked the finale, I think that means good things for us. 

I was going to say that. I remember some of the stuff he said about (and didn't go into detail  on)about S6 and COEX Olicity and it turned out pretty good in general. And a 2-3 minute scene is pretty decent for an afterlife reunion. It might be a bummer if Felicity is literally committing suicide by going through the portal but it seems there's more to it if he's still the Spectre and could theoretically guest star. 

The whole thing, including bringing back everyone he could but not himself is intensely in character for Oliver. I was a bit worried they'd leave it at that, but there is a post 20 years reunion *and* MG/SA get to say they got the series ending with Oliver's death at the same time. After having the end of the crossover, plus funeral, plus his friends mourn him on their own shows they weren't going to have it turn out Oliver's alive to raise his kids, which obviously would have been too much. It seems pretty schmaltzy as it is. 

11 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Pretty much this. There's a lot of worse ways to end the show and all the "gotchas" seem to be people being alive rather than dead.

After the BDP and this they seem determined to keep William being kidnapped a theme. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, way2interested said:

True. At least they didn’t pull a HIMYM. Honestly, that’s always my fear with series finales now. 

41 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

William gets kidnapped (again) and the last big Team Arrow mission is to rescue him

I’m not surprised. But this is getting ridiculous. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

After the BDP and this they seem determined to keep William being kidnapped a theme. 

Poor Mia is going to come back to the present day completely exasperated. "I just got William back from being abducted in 2040 and this happens again?" 😂

• LOL 6
3 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Poor Mia is going to come back to the present day completely exasperated. "I just got William back from being abducted in 2040 and this happens again?" 😂

Mia's going to be making sure William eats those blueberry pancakes with the trackers in them every morning for the rest of their lives.

• LOL 10

I’m fine with this ending, although it’s probably because I accepted the paradise dimension thing after 722 and also I am somewhat detached already having not watched S8. 

I don’t agree with all these dead characters alive again though - everyone except E1 LL (damn they hate her 💀). So we have no way of knowing what happened. There’s also the fact that a lot of their deaths, like Tommy and Moira, helped develop Oliver’s character. Moira’s death was actually one of the strongest moments on this whole show so to erase that feels cheap. I’m guessing they want them all to guest star in the spin-off at some point, which again feels like throwing Arrow under the bus for another show. 🙄

Either way, I’m just happy to see Felicity and Olicity again as I am one of those who was convinced EBR wouldn’t come back. So it’s already more than I was hoping for. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 6
56 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

I don’t agree with all these dead characters alive again though - everyone except E1 LL (damn they hate her 💀). So we have no way of knowing what happened. There’s also the fact that a lot of their deaths, like Tommy and Moira, helped develop Oliver’s character. Moira’s death was actually one of the strongest moments on this whole show so to erase that feels cheap. I’m guessing they want them all to guest star in the spin-off at some point, which again feels like throwing Arrow under the bus for another show. 🙄

It feels very cheap to resurrect everyone and then turn a lot of the show we watched AU which is basically exactly what I didn't want to happen, and you're right I would imagine they want some of them to appear in the spin off occasionally - courtesy of Sara's new 2040 taxi service probably. However the show could have gone SURPRISE! in so many worse ways. 

At least the fic writers will be busy writing their (canon!) Tommy/Moira live fics. I imagine both had something to say about various Olicity plots for example. And Donna v Moira stuff. 

I imagine there's dialogue about why E1 Laurel can't come back and it's partly a spin off issue but it does seem glaring that everyone's back but her. At least this Laurel got a few years with Tommy instead of telling her ex who treated her horribly and was in love with someone else that he was the love of her life. Though god knows what her S2 storyline was now or how that triangle got resolved unless it was "oops we both made a mistake and I actually definitely want Tommy."

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Featherhat said:

At least this Laurel got a few years with Tommy instead of telling her ex who treated her horribly and was in love with someone else that he was the love of her life. Though god knows what her S2 storyline was now or how that triangle got resolved unless it was "oops we both made a mistake and I actually definitely want Tommy."

Maybe the Radioactive scene never happened?

I wonder if E1-Laurel now spoke to Tommy or Lance on her non-deathbed? We’ll have to see how much of the episode actually explains any of the changes and how much might be explained in post-finale interviews.

14 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Maybe the Radioactive scene never happened?

I wonder if E1-Laurel now spoke to Tommy or Lance on her non-deathbed? We’ll have to see how much of the episode actually explains any of the changes and how much might be explained in post-finale interviews.

If the spoiler guy is right, nothing very much is explained about what changed or how events unfolded. Given the way Reddit was asking about E1Laurel, if there had been a flashback scene to explain some things or set up a new goodbye scene as a consolation prize, I think he'd have mentioned it. I guess there will be a lot of post finale interviews to explain BS and MG's headcannon about things and you get to picture whatever version you want. 

Maybe Laurel started to fall truly in love with him and not just as an Oliver substitute/placeholder when he saved her life and not Oliver or The Hood. Instead of trying to use his death to get back with Oliver right after his funeral. Damn S4 flashbacks. 🙄

• Love 1

The best thing they could do for Laurel is to reveal one of two things: 1) she and Oliver were never involved in the first place so that she never had to pretend he wasn't cheating on her, or, 2) she genuinely fell in love with Tommy after the Gambit went down and held firm to their relationship when Oliver returned. Her still dying is weird, since Oliver's rewriting the story so bring back a bunch of other characters, but the Arrowverse obviously wants nothing to do with her so it'll have to do.

• Love 4

I have to wonder, if they had Tommy and Laurel get married before she died in S4, did Olicity become a thing sooner??? I know not telling her he loved her sooner was one of his regrets. It’s a shame we’ll never know. 🥺

The guy posting the spoilers wrote that it gets mentioned that Oliver didn't bring back the people who were part of his journey (like Robert stayed dead because he's the reason why he became GA). I wonder if that's going to be elaborated on - I'm guessing no, but Tommy and Moira are both back and I'd argue that they and their deaths had a bigger impact on Oliver and his journey than Laurel or her death did. So even their in-show logic for her not being around doesn't make sense lol. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

I feel like the E1 Laurel still being dead thing is simple. They didn’t want two Laurels around, had to be able to send Laurel off for the spinoff, and wanted to give Tommy/Laurel some sort of happy ending (he didn’t die saving her, married before her death) but couldn’t even have a merged Laurel because then she’d theoretically be leaving her husband behind to travel to the future and it’s not like she’s doing anything in the future that another character couldn’t do — especially if she had a family/life in 2020 and even with time travel meaning she could return to right after she left. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

The guy posting the spoilers wrote that it gets mentioned that Oliver didn't bring back the people who were part of his journey (like Robert stayed dead because he's the reason why he became GA). I wonder if that's going to be elaborated on - I'm guessing no, but Tommy and Moira are both back and I'd argue that they and their deaths had a bigger impact on Oliver and his journey than Laurel or her death did. So even their in-show logic for her not being around doesn't make sense lol. 

That's why it's just picking and choosing (apparently almost everyone *but* Laurel) who they want to bring back and coming up with an explanation afterward because Moira and Tommy's deaths had a massive affect on his journey as GA, almost as much as Robert and arguably more than Malcolm by S5 when he died - Oliver was already GA and done with Malcolm's bs mostly. But it's mostly to do with the spin off I guess. 

If Olicity got together sooner, I suppose we might here a bit about it either at the funeral or during their last scene but I'm not counting on it. Guess it doesn't really matter.

8 hours ago, Featherhat said:

And Oliver has apparently resurrected all his dead friends and family for each other. 

Typical Oliver, sacrificing himself to save everyone else. At least that's consistent.

4 hours ago, Featherhat said:

Sara and Nyssa have a brief moment where Nyssa calls her "beloved" again. - Ava will just love that.

LOL. Considering how Ava acted hearing that Oliver is dead, dead, she deserves to learn that Sara is the love of Nyssa's life. I'd live to see her reaction.

3 hours ago, Featherhat said:

A better theme than Oliver's terrible lies for being late, And than E1 Laurel demanding equal status to Oliver.

3 hours ago, lemotomato said:

3 hours ago, way2interested said:

Mia's going to be making sure William eats those blueberry pancakes with the trackers in them every morning for the rest of their lives.

3 hours ago, insomniadreams88 said:

And have him make them for himself. 

I am going to miss this board so very much when the show is over.  😭 😭😭😭

• Love 7
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Considering how Ava acted hearing that Oliver is dead, dead, she deserves to learn that Sara is the love of Nyssa's life. I'd live to see her reaction.

Agreed. (Sorry, kinda over Ava at the moment.)

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I am going to miss this board so very much when the show is over.  😭 😭😭😭

And double agreed on this! 

• Love 1

At least this Laurel got a few years with Tommy instead of telling her ex who treated her horribly and was in love with someone else that he was the love of her life. Though god knows what her S2 storyline was now or how that triangle got resolved unless it was "oops we both made a mistake and I actually definitely want Tommy."

Except they are shitting on most of Arrow's history, almost various pieces of  8 years is now down the drain. Its one thing when I thought the Crisis ripples would affect starting with season 7, but now it seems they are far reaching to even go way back to season 1/2. I dont know what Games of Thrones finale was like, just heard the backlash,  but this might be even worse  than what those people did. This isnt just a different timeline, it feel like 2 separate show stories being told. Different characters we will never know, are the ones ending the 8 year old show. 

Edited by CabotCove
  • Love 1

It's most definitely a very weird choice (and Lazy) to make the entire show go AU with no time to process that it's not the show we've been watching for 7 years, and not just because they inserted 1 extra character like Dawn, I'm not happy with it, but there could actually have been a lot of shittier twists they pulled at the last minute.

GOT backlash was for a number of reasons, mostly because no one felt it was set up right and they wasted the season leading up to it. This is at least in character for Oliver, even if it's stupid. I don't know if there will be a huge backlash. Maybe but right now the people most upset by the spoilers (from different sections of the fandom) seem annoyed it seems exactly the same as last season but with added details. We'll see how it actually plays out. 

• Love 1

t's most definitely a very weird choice (and Lazy) to make the entire show go AU with no time to process that it's not the show we've been watching for 7 years,

Well yeah, I guess that the word for it AU, the long part of the show is now whats AU and this finale being the true reality/universe now. I guess Oliver/Felicity/ will  have more of their histories  preserved and similar in both timelines but every other character seemed to getting screwed with this decision to do Earth Prime versions. Likely we will never know what the full New History of characters is and what has fallen out of canon.

Edited by CabotCove

I see it as the show as it was still happened and the Crisis came and now there is a second timeline noone really knows about. Even on all the other shows there are people who remember all their original lifes but have no idea of their new lifes while others remember both. 

The only show that will apparently explore that would be the spin-off.

So yeah, for Arrow it's kinda cheating to present a new reality, not explain what was different - thereby making it clear that it really isn't important- and have those characters end the show. Moira and Tommy were hugely influential deaths, Quentin too. But the Oliver who is Spectre did experience their losses, that's why he brought them back, meaning it did happen in the first place.

I can get why Oliver with the power of a God tries to fix what he could. And lets be real, he is still going about it more responsibly than whenever Barry screwed the timeline. 

• Love 6

Time travel alters the future. Oliver and the Paragons traveled to the dawn of creation but that doesn't change their history since their memories are intact. Even without new memories. On Legends history doesn't let you do somethings. You can't stop yourself from being born. I can see that transferring to things that made you the you that could change time in the first place. Like with Rip and his family.  Though it's all inconsistent. Zari accidentally does what she started out to do. Save her future. I know it's different on The Flash but Marc Guggenheim is more a part of Legends then Flash.

Moira sacrificing herself was a huge event in Oliver's life but was it was more that it was right in front of his eyes? Her surviving that would still be impactful. Though I can't see how Tommy being brought back fits 🙃 Maybe Oliver just had Malcolm pit both Tommy and Moira 🤔

I know it's non Arrow related but...Earth 1 Laurel not coming back might not just be, because of the "new" spinoff. Her death has been a huge part of Sara's journey. Even part of her spear of destiny moment. (LOT pretty much ignored Lance's death). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1