Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread: The Final Countdown

scarynikki12
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, way2interested said:

I just find it funny that the final scene that came like divine inspiration to MG so much so that he had to write it down immediately and push for it to be the ending is an Olicity scene that's apparently "cheesy and fan-service-y."

For all my complaints about him he wrote fantastic cute Olicity fluff and declarations of love. It was like his wheelhouse!

I hope the speculation is true and he delivers a fluffy Olicity scene one last time.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

I hope the speculation is true and he delivers a fluffy Olicity scene one last time.

It's not speculation. That's the last scene of 810 according the reddit guy. Now, maybe the scene MG meant was one he had to ultimately scrap and it wasn't the Olicity scene, but since MG has done big Olicity scenes in the past and his remark about it being technically difficult to do possibly referring to EBR coming back, I'm still going with that XD.  

Once again, I have to vent about the double-standard. Almost the entire Crisis On Infinite Earths crossover event was fan service. But apparently "fan service" is fine - and even welcomed - as long it's about something other than Olicity.*

(* Not to mention, the final Olicity scene would not fit the definition of "fan service" anyway.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 11

I do wander if that was the divine inspiration scene that came to him whilst he was meditating or if they went with something else because it doesn't seem like it was logistically difficult to pull off. Or indeed something unexpected or surprising given *save this city* has been Oliver's rallying cry for so long and the damn portal last season. Yeah unless it really was getting EBR back which really was 50/50 or something. It seems like something he'd like - young Oliver and Felicity looking out over a version of Star(ling) City to enjoy/maybe protect forever. 

All those actors at Oliver's funeral, including ones that aren't contracted to any of the Van shows as well as the ones who are and are very busy filming those shows right this minute - logistical nightmare, but I can't think it would have been slated to be the end scene because it wouldn't include Oliver and I think they wanted to end it on Oliver (and Felicity but especially Oliver.) Guess we'll find out in the post finale interviews. Boy are they also going to have fun explaining how they think all these SuddenlyAlive!Dead people fitted into the seasons after they got offed. I assume Samantha isn't there because Will and Mia grow up together, so I kind of hope Oliver didn't exactly have control over who to bring back, but that will probably just be handwaved. 

@tv echo Most shows that have a reunion after death or however it's going to play out go with the young attractive version of a person's soul because they want the pretty people we've watched on screen most of the series not EBR in her (pretty good) 50s makeup and SA as 34. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Featherhat said:

I do wander if that was the divine inspiration scene that came to him whilst he was meditating or if they went with something else because it doesn't seem like it was logistically difficult to pull off. Or indeed something unexpected or surprising given *save this city* has been Oliver's rallying cry for so long and the damn portal last season. Yeah unless it really was getting EBR back which really was 50/50 or something.

I think it was the divine inspiration scene he was talking about, since he mentioned in a later interview that they had a hard time figuring out a central theme for the finale until he realized that it should be about how Oliver saved the city. And I think getting EBR back for the finale was probably more difficult than 50/50, considering that they weren’t able to announce it until right before the finale started filming. Plus the fact that they couldn’t get her back for anything else this season. 

• Love 3

Arrow Bosses Preview Felicity and Mia's First Meeting in 'Satisfying' Series Finale
BY Lindsay MacDonald
https://www.tvguide.com/news/arrow-series-finale-felicity-first-meeting-with-mia/

The Arrow series finale marks the end of an era for The CW, and the final hour of Oliver Queen's (Stephen Amell) journey is going to try its hardest to make you ugly cry. And yes, that was absolutely, completely on purpose.

"It was really important to me and Marc to really honor all of our characters in this," said showrunner Beth Schwartz at a press screening of the series finale. "We spent a lot of time in the room brainstorming endings for all our characters, and whether they were series regulars in Season 8 or they were series regulars in Season 1, we really wanted to give everyone a satisfying ending so that you could envision what their lives would be like after the show was over."

We won't spoil that final scene for you, except to say, prepare to end your time in Arrow's little corner of the Arrowverse as one very emotional human being.

Speaking of getting emotional, the one scene we can semi-spoil for you is the highly-anticipated meeting of Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) and her daughter, Mia Smoak Queen (Katherine McNamara). Though Mia got to meet all of the present-day Team Arrow, the one member she hasn't interacted with yet is her own mother. All that changes when both Felicity and her adult daughter come into town for Oliver's funeral.

"There's a lot of wish fulfillment, for a few reasons," Schwartz said about Mia and Felicity's introduction. "One, you know, being a parent — and I'm a new parent — seeing your child as their adult self is really crazy and also amazing when you're proud of who she became as a woman, and also honoring her father's legacy. Not obviously under great circumstances because they're at Oliver's funeral, but I think it was a very meaningful moment in their lives."

• Love 3

How Arrow’s Series Finale Will Give ‘Everyone a Satisfying Ending’
By Danielle Turchiano
https://variety.com/2020/tv/features/arrow-series-finale-funeral-marc-guggenheim-beth-schwartz-moira-thea-felicity-interview-1203482599/

With Oliver dead after the events of “Crisis,” the finale will pay tribute to his sacrifice — and reveal a gaggle of changes that unfolded in the wake of the event. That also allowed for the series to bring back previously deceased characters like Susanna Thompson’s Moira Queen (who was killed off in Season 2) and Paul Blackthorne’s Quentin Lance (who perished in the Season 6 finale).

“We’ve had a lot of discussions about what’s new, but at the same time, because we have the possibly the spinoff, and there’s also all these other sister shows [in the ‘Arrowverse’], we’ve given ourselves the freedom to be [flexible],” executive producer Marc Guggenheim says. “It’s been the same approach that we’ve actually had with ‘Arrow’ for the last eight years, which is just because we’ve had these conversations doesn’t mean that we’re foreclosing a great idea if one comes along [later].”

But, Schwartz adds, there were a lot of conversations about which previously deceased characters could be brought back: “We were really setting the rules [for who was back and why]. And we spell it out in the in the finale.”

Adds actor David Ramsey, who played John Diggle for the show’s entire run: “This is the longest I’ve run on a show. So just being on a show where you just have this network with ‘The Flash,’ ‘Legends’ and ‘Batwoman’ and all this these tentacles, it’s just strange. It feels as if is over, but it’s kind of like, ‘Look at all my children! Look at this world we created.’ So it’s over but there’s also this legacy and this thing that we’ve kind of created that feels really special. We just used to these things ending and there’s a piece of this that just feels like it doesn’t, which is also very good.”

Edited by Trisha
  • Love 1

Arrow Boss Previews Felicity and Mia's 'Meaningful' Reunion in Series Finale
By Vlada Gelman / January 27 2020, 
https://tvline.com/2020/01/27/arrow-spoilers-series-finale-felicity-mia-first-meeting-scene/

As seen in the official photos from the episode, mother and daughter (played by returning original cast member Emily Bett Rickards and Season 7 addition Katherine McNamara) are side by side at Oliver’s funeral, paving the way for an unusual and powerful family reunion/”reunion.” (Exactly how Mia, who we last saw in 2040 in the backdoor spinoff pilot, returns to 2020 is explained early in the episode.)

The aforementioned encounter represents “a lot of wish fulfillment for a few reasons,” showrunner Beth Schwartz previewed at a Monday press screening. For starters, as “a parent — and I’m a new parent — seeing your child in their adult self is really crazy.”

The sight is also “amazing” for Felicity because she’s “proud of who [Mia] became as a woman, [while] also honoring her father’s legacy,” Schwartz continued. So while the first meeting is “not, obviously, under great circumstances, because they’re at Oliver’s funeral,” it nonetheless is “a very meaningful moment in their lives.”

The series ender will also bring closure to several fan favorites, from past and present, while leaving their stories with the sense that life goes on.

“It was really important to me and [Arrowverse EP] Marc [Guggenheim] to honor all of our characters,” Schwartz shared. “We spent a lot of time in the room brainstorming endings for all our characters, whether they were series regulars in Season 8 or they were series regulars in Season 1. We really wanted to give everyone a satisfying ending, so that you could envision what their lives would be like after the show was over.”

Edited by tv echo

Looks like we're going to get "ample" Dig/Oliver moments -- maybe in the revised flashbacks?

Arrow's David Ramsey Calls Series Finale 'An Expression of Gratitude to Our Fans'
By Lindsay MacDonald
https://www.tvguide.com/news/arrow-david-ramsey-teases-a-reflective-series-finale/

Before you even ask, yes, Felicity and Oliver's love story will be honored in the finale, especially when it comes to the adult-version of their daughter, Mia (Katherine McNamara). But that's not the only relationship that will get a nod before all is said and done. The finale actually pays ample tribute to the brotherhood between Oliver and Diggle that's been building for the past eight years. Considering Diggle couldn't actually be there either of the times Oliver sacrificed himself in Crisis, it's a fitting way to cap their story.

"There was a very nice moment between me and Stephen as our first A.D. Mark Bunting was announcing everyone's a wrap," Ramsey said of his final moment with Amell while filming the series finale. "Stephen went through a moment where he talked about he and I first meeting and even then it was the beginning of a budding friendship off-camera that really extended to an on-camera friendship as well. It's sad to say goodbye to that, to that piece of it. But also, we're both very happy about what we did."

'Arrow' Boss Previews the Series Finale & Praises Stephen Amell's Heroic Run
By Damian Holbrook
https://www.tvinsider.com/852593/arrow-series-finale-fadeout-stephen-amell/

Given that Amell's character perished while saving mankind in the Arrow episode of last month's five-part Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover, executive producer Marc Guggenheim understands what fans need and want in the show's final hour, fittingly entitled "Fadeout": closure.

"More than anything I wanted to give them closure, because this is an unconventional series finale," he admits. "This is a series finale where we've killed off our protagonist two episodes ago. We always knew that this was the plan and... we wanted to honor the show, to honor Oliver Queen and give closure. And for me, a big part of that is basically telling you where everyone's going."

To that end, viewers can expect a slew of developments for Ollie's devastated partner Diggle (David Ramsey, who will break your heart tonight) and the rest of Team Arrow, as well as a parade of familiar faces resurfacing to mourn the fallen Green Arrow (see below).

"That was important, certainly," he notes of bringing back "characters we haven't seen in a while." Chief among them, of course, is Emily Bett Rickards, who returns as Felicity Smoak, Oliver's wife and mother to their daughter Mia (Katherine McNamara).

Having gone into hiding at the end of last season, Felicity has yet to meet her now-adult child from the future, making for one of the finale's more poignant moments. "One of the [main goals] for us was honoring the Mia-Felicity relationship," says Guggenheim, especially given that, in the post-Crisis world, his little girl is "picking up Oliver's mantle."

As for Amell's presence in the finale, fear not. Even though Oliver is dead and buried, Guggenheim and company have found a way to weave him into the story that pays homage to eight seasons of flashbacks while giving us fascinating new footage. Because there is no Arrow without Amell.

"The show is Stephen, and Stephen is the show," offers Guggenheim of his leading man's efforts since Day One. "This show has a legacy, not just for creating the Arrowverse, but I would think also re-establishing superhero shows on television... and none of that happened without Stephen.

• Love 2

James Bamford's picks for Arrow's best fight scenes included this upcoming one from 810...

Arrow's 25 Best Fight Scenes Ever — From the Pilot to, Yes, the Series Finale
By Matt Webb Mitovich and Samuel Gelman / January 27 2020
https://tvline.com/2020/01/27/arrow-best-fight-scenes-ever-list-james-bamford/

8×10 (Series Finale): Arrow vs. EVERYONE Flashback Fight
“This is probably the longest battle we’ve ever shot, and it was on the final episode of the show ever. I’m so very proud of Stephen, and the stunt team, for allowing me to finish the show with this gift of a sequence. What a wonderful ride it’s been!”

• Love 1

I checked that reddit user's link again to see if there were any additional or previously missed-by-me replies (btw, Matt Mitovich is skeptical of the reddit spoilers - see his tweet posted above)...

• Oliver's scenes are just the flashback scene and the one scene with Felicity.
  • The flashback scene is a one-take hallway fight.
  • Diggle gives the eulogy. Felicity does not give a speech.
  • Felicity does not have any scenes with Moira.
  • Diggle doesn't adopt Connor because Ben Turner is still alive (though not in the episode).
  • Slade appears in a flashback where Moira survives (it's the scene where Oliver tackles Slade right before he's about to kill Moira, Oliver does not kill Slade).
  • Sara interacts with Quentin and also with Nyssa and Mia, as well as having a scene with Felicity and Diggle.
  • There is a documentary crew who is making that documentary that Mia watched last season.
  • It's Mia weeks after Adult William got kidnapped in the future. The Mia that Sara picked up is the Mia that saw Adult William getting kidnapped. 
  • It's said that E1 Laurel died in S4. She's mentioned when "BS talked to Sonuvabich" (translation: E2 Laurel talked to Quentin). The talk was about "accepting E-1 is dead and BS is the new Laurel."
  • E2 Laurel has scenes with Quentin, Sara and Thea.
  • Roy proposes to Thea on the rooftop while they're all out searching for kidnapped Child William.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, tv echo said:

It's Mia weeks after Adult William got kidnapped in the future. The Mia that Sara picked up is the Mia that saw Adult William getting kidnapped. 

Lol, this bothers me more than some of the changes for some reason. I don't like the idea of William being gone for weeks both for the story and for William and Mia's sakes 😅

16 minutes ago, tv echo said:

I checked that reddit user's link again to see if there were any additional or previously missed-by-me replies (btw, Matt Mitovich is skeptical of the reddit spoilers - see his tweet posted above)...

I think there's probably a lot of stuff he missed out or didn't bother much with that's important or the comes across very differently on screen. But I do believe the guy saw the episode/knows about it. His other spoiler posts have been mostly on the mark, and I'm saying that as someone who wishes things were at least a bit different to some of the things he said on this and other occasions. We'll see I guess. 

32 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

So after not calling her at all ever (for yeah obvious reasons) when there's an issue time travel could solve, Sara now really has become an Arrow character taxi service. Poor Mia though upset over Adult William's kidnapping last episode, he's missing until the spin off gets picked up and now she has to deal with little William being kidnapped. Don't worry Mia, he was kidnapped a lot on you're Dad's watch. It's a family/GA tradition!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

Poor Mia though upset over Adult William's kidnapping last episode, he's missing until the spin off gets picked up and now she has to deal with little William being kidnapped. Don't worry Mia, he was kidnapped a lot on you're Dad's watch. It's a family/GA tradition!

Hmmm...he was "abducted in his hometown of Central City." That implies that the reset didn't change the fact that he went to live with his grandparents. I'm assuming tonight there will be some indication that he wants to stay with Felicity going forward.

5 minutes ago, Trisha said:

Hmmm...he was "abducted in his hometown of Central City." That implies that the reset didn't change the fact that he went to live with his grandparents. I'm assuming tonight there will be some indication that he wants to stay with Felicity going forward.

I'm assuming. After she (and Mia) rescues him and he has a talk with Adult Mia maybe? I assume Samantha didn't get brought back because being a full time dad for a year was vital to Oliver's journey or something. And the potential spin off. 

• Love 2

You're welcome, @AveMaria30! Thank you, everyone, for making this Arrow forum a place I've wanted to visit and participate in over the past several years. Although I'll continue to post anything Arrow-relevant I come across (at least for awhile), it won't be the same. 

So many people have contributed to this forum (not just spoilers and news, but also comments, opinions and insights). I also want to give shout-outs to @apinknightmare, @Bkwurm1, @lemotomato, @way2interested, @Featherhat, @insomniadreams88, @Aeryn13, @calliope1975, @lily-n11, @thegirlsleuth, @Angel12d, @Mellowyellow, @Chaser, @statsgirl, @Starfish35, @Josh371982 and @quarks (sorry if I missed mentioning anyone!).

Thanks for still hanging in here, through the good, the bad and the ugly, the bitter and the sweet. 💐

ETA: Darn, I knew I'd forget people - also @Soulfire, @shantown, @tarotx, @bijoux, @Genki and @Primal Slayer.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 23
1 minute ago, tv echo said:

So many people have contributed to this forum (not just spoilers and news, but also comments, opinions and insights).

I'm already feeling sad about tonight, and I echo (no pun intended) this sentiment. Thanks to everyone that has provided wonderful commentary, fun, and snark. One more time to go!

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, tv echo said:

You're welcome, @Aeryn13! Thank you, everyone, for making this Arrow forum a place I've wanted to visit and participate in over the past several years. Although I'll continue to post anything Arrow-relevant I come across (at least for awhile), it won't be the same. 

So many people have contributed to this forum (not just spoilers and news, but also comments, opinions and insights). I also want to give shout-outs to @apinknightmare, @Bkwurm1, @lemotomato, @way2interested, @Featherhat, @insomniadreams88, @calliope1975, @lily-n11, @thegirlsleuth, @Angel12d, @Mellowyellow, @Chaser, @statsgirl, @Starfish35, @Josh371982 and @quarks (sorry if I missed mentioning anyone!).

Thanks for still hanging in here, through the good, the bad and the ugly, the bitter and the sweet. 💐

I also want to thank all of you for making my Arrow fanship full of info, entertainment with actual thought provoking discussion of tv and real issues as well as just an over all interesting experience. I'll never forget the Arrow fandom especially the charity of OTA and Olicity fans. 🙏

Last day of Arrow spoilers - super sad 😔

• Love 9

I also wanna thank all the lovely regulars of this forum for being lovely insightful kind fellow posters. I'm gonna miss Arrow., OTA, The asboulety amazing Pairing Of Olicity I dont think I've loved a TV couple more, The Characters of Oliver Queen, John Diggle, Felicity Smoak. I just know I'll get emotional tonight. The Show had it's great times: season 1 after OTA started, Season 2 with Introduction of Sara and probably the best big bad of the series plus the start of Olicity, Season 3 with the Olicity Romance in full bloom, the first love scene was 💥💥💥, the fluffy Olicity goodness until the dreaded baby mama secret.  Season 6 when Olicity got back together and were married! Season 7 with the Introduction of the kickass Olicity Princess Mia! And adult William as well as Connor. And more. Also had some of the worst times that I wont get into further lol. But overall loved Arrow more often than not was a show i loved and Oliver s story which sadly ended with death was amazing to watch. He(and Sara) started it all 

• Love 8

A third sneak peek!...

Exclusive Arrow Series Finale Clip: The Mission is Never Over [VIDEO]
By RUSS BURLINGAME - January 28, 2020 
https://comicbook.com/2020/01/28/exclusive-arrow-series-finale-clip-the-mission-is-never-over/

The CW has provided ComicBook.com with an exclusive clip from tonight's series finale of Arrow, titled "Fadeout." In the episode, Team Arrow raises a toast to Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell), drinking from the wretched Russian vodka that Oliver, John Diggle (David Ramsey), and Anatoly Knyazev (David Nykl) have shared over the years. Diggle is the one to say "prochnost" as the shot glasses are raised, and nobody seems to really enjoy the experience of the vodka except for Laurel (Katie Cassidy), who is using it to self-medicate. Meanwhile, Roy (Colton Haynes), Diggle, and Dinah (Juliana Harkavy) discuss what the future of Oliver's mission is in a city that has been almost completely without crime since the Crisis.

Edited by tv echo
57 minutes ago, tv echo said:

You're welcome, @AveMaria30! Thank you, everyone, for making this Arrow forum a place I've wanted to visit and participate in over the past several years. Although I'll continue to post anything Arrow-relevant I come across (at least for awhile), it won't be the same. 

So many people have contributed to this forum (not just spoilers and news, but also comments, opinions and insights). I also want to give shout-outs to @apinknightmare, @Bkwurm1, @lemotomato, @way2interested, @Featherhat, @insomniadreams88, @Aeryn13, @calliope1975, @lily-n11, @thegirlsleuth, @Angel12d, @Mellowyellow, @Chaser, @statsgirl, @Starfish35, @Josh371982 and @quarks (sorry if I missed mentioning anyone!).

ETA: Darn, I knew I'd forget people - also @Soulfire, @shantown, @tarotx and @bijoux.

Fandom is always the part of a show that I miss the most, especially if it's one that's gone on for as long as Arrow has and had so many ups and downs. Sniff, thanks to everyone who made this forum what it is. 

E2 Laurel doesn't self medicate with alcohol does she? Please lets not bring that storyline into a potential spin off. 🙄 I'm going to be crying even though we've already seen Oliver die and I (think) I know roughly what's coming from the spoilers...😭

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

E2 Laurel doesn't self medicate with alcohol does she? Please lets not bring that storyline into a potential spin off. 

I was gonna say - I feel like maybe we thought E-2 Laurel might not be an alcoholic, but E-2 Laurel definitely seems like an alcoholic lol.

• Love 2

While I haven't been a consistent poster on the boards, I've always been an avid reader. You wonderful people got me through trying times like the baby mama drama, small hands Billy, "that changes nothing, Hoss" and the 3D mumble mumble. Thank you so much. 

Will be a bittersweet feeling for sure to see it all end. I'll always gives this show a ton of credit for recognizing a good thing and what works and changing their plans accordingly to run with it. They looked at Felicity and hearteyes!Oliver (seriously, I think Stephen is underrated as an actor and I loved his turn of Earth X-Oliver but he couldn't turn down the besotted looks towards Felicity even while menacing her, haha) and just went and made them endgame. Even with a soulmate eternity ending. In the end they have not failed this show.

• Love 10

Btw, MG also picked the 100th episode (508), but clarified that they were not copying Superman's "For the Man Who Has Everything" story, but instead were inspired by Fantastic Four's "Terror in a Tiny Town" story (so, less an idealized life, but more of a nightmare)...

Arrow's Most Important Episodes, As Chosen By Co-Creator Marc Guggenheim
By Jolie Lash  Updated: 28 Jan 2020
https://www.ign.com/articles/arrow-best-episodes-most-important-marc-guggenheim

21: "Fadeout," episode 810 (series finale)
Guggenheim: "Diggle's eulogy in the series finale always brings a tear to my eye." We won't say any more until you've seen it.

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

ETA: Darn, I knew I'd forget people - also @Soulfire, @shantown, @tarotx and @bijoux.

Thank you @tv echo for all the work you've done and things you brought here. There were tons of articles I would have never seen if it wasn't for your media watchlist.

And thank you to all the other people in this forum. Reading all your comments was always fun especially when times were dark (aka when the show really sucked). Living in Europe meant I never got to participate in the live thread. But reading the multiple "shuuut up Curtis" the next day always made up for that. I giggled a lot.

Even if I didn't watch the episodes this season, I will probably watch the series finale (mainly because Emily is back). One last time for OTA & Olicity. I'm really going to miss them and this place here.

• Love 6

MG and Beth basically confirm that the final scene is an Olicity scene...

‘Arrow’ EPs on Crafting the Series Finale and How Long They’ve Known the Ending
BY CHRISTINA RADISH      JANUARY 28, 2020
https://collider.com/arrow-series-finale-interview-marc-guggenheim-beth-schwartz/

Following a screening of the series finale at the offices of The CW, actor David Ramsey (“John Diggle,” aka “Spartan”) was joined by executive producers Marc Guggenheim and Beth Schwartz to chat with various media outlets about the challenges of crafting this last episode, ....
How much have you guys mapped out all of the stuff that has changed, in this new world?
GUGGENHEIM: We’ve had a lot of discussions about what’s new, but at the same time, because we have the possibly with the spin-off and there’s also all of these other sister shows, we’ve given ourselves the freedom. It’s been the same approach that we’ve actually had with Arrow for the last eight years, which is, just because we’ve had these conversations, it doesn’t mean that we’re against a great idea, if one comes along. We’ve always given ourselves permission to deviate from the plan, if someone in any of the writers’ rooms comes up with an awesome idea, which happens, quite frankly, all the time.

SCHWARTZ: We had large conversations, just in Arrow, of the characters who were dead and the ones that we were bringing back. That was a larger conversation that Marc and I had, and that we had with the room, ‘cause we were really setting the rules. We spell it out, in the finale, that it’s the people who were important to Oliver that have come back. That doesn’t mean that we won’t surprise you, if the spin-off goes or on the other shows, if there’s another character that might come back.

What went into the decision, in terms of keeping Earth-2 Laurel versus bringing back the original version of Laurel?
GUGGENHEIM: We went back and forth on that a great deal, and truth be told, that was really driven by the spin-off. I think if we weren’t doing a spin-off, we probably would’ve gone a different way. We had a lot of conversations – me and Beth, and me, Beth, Jill [Blankenship] and Oscar [Balderrama], who will be running the spin-off, if it goes – about which version of Laurel we wanted in the spin-off, and we’ve really fallen in love, over the years, with the Earth-2 version of Laurel. We love Katie [Cassidy]’s take on that character, we love writing for that character, and we love the complexities of that character’s moral see-saw. She’s just always been a more interesting character to us.

SCHWARTZ: In Season 7 and 8, she was really able to redeem herself, and we felt that that was such an important story for her character. She’s come such a long way, from murdering people, all the time, to becoming the hero that she was, at the end of Season 8, and will continue to be in the spin-off, hopefully. So, it just felt like we would short change her, if we didn’t really honor the growth that her character went through.

David, how did it feel to be the one to deliver the eulogy?
DAVID RAMSEY: It felt great and appropriate. I didn’t expect it. I didn’t know exactly where we were going. There are a lot of challenges with how to bring your protagonist back, who’s been dead for two episodes. We were all thinking that, in the cast, too, when it came to the finale. I just think it was pieced together very, very nicely. I thought that Diggle delivering the eulogy was probably the right decision, and everyone going on their separate paths. I just think the story was told very nicely for Diggle.

There’s an interesting parallel with this episode and the previous one, with William getting kidnapped in both episodes. With so many characters that you could have put in peril, in both cases, what went into the decision to do that parallel storyline?
GUGGENHEIM: Part of it was that we realized, if we kidnapped William one more time, over the life of the show, we would get a free set of steak knives, and I wanted those knives. No, actually, the idea of William being kidnapped in the present day came out of the writers’ room. Beth and I had almost all of the pieces. We knew it would be a coda. We knew the build-up [with Diggle]. We’ve known the very last scene for months and months and months, since June. So, we’ve known almost everything, but one of the things we were debating was, do we need an A-story? Do we need a final villain? The writers’ room had pitched the idea of William being kidnapped, and the moment they pitched that, it really resonated for both of us because it did connect so strongly with the ending of Episode 809 . . . That was just really intriguing. Plus, steak knives.

SCHWARTZ: The challenge for the season was the crossover, the backdoor pilot, and then the series finale, so to be able to have all of those huge episodes speak to each other, instead of ignoring what happened, was really important to us.

You said that you’ve had the ending since June. When did you know that was going to be where Arrow would end? What were those conversations like?
SCHWARTZ: We always left it open, at the end of Season 7, to have that final scene. Marc called me or texted me in June, and was like, “I wrote the final scene,” after meditation.

GUGGENHEIM: I meditate every morning, and this has never happened to me, before or since, but I came out of the meditation with the entire scene in my head, literally word for word, exactly as you just watched it. I quickly opened up my laptop and had to get it down. For me, it just felt so right. I very excitedly texted Beth and was like, “I wrote the final scene and I’ve gotta send it to you.” I sent it and, of course, the big question was, is Emily coming back to be in it? I was like, “Now, she really has to because I really love this scene.” And fortunately, she did

SCHWARTZ: We didn’t even think of another ending. We didn’t have a backup plan, at all. We were just like, “Emily needs to do this.” Luckily, she did.

What can you say to preview the scenes between Mia and Felicity?
SCHWARTZ: I would tease that there’s a lot of wish fulfillment, for a few reasons. One is in being a parent and seeing your child in their adult self. That’s really crazy, and also amazing, when you’re proud of who she became, as a woman. Also, she’s honoring her father’s legacy. It’s obviously not under great circumstances ‘cause they’re at Oliver’s funeral, but it’s a very meaningful moment in their lives.

What emotions were you aiming for, in the finale?
SCHWARTZ: It was really important to me and Marc to honor all of our characters in this. We spent a lot of time in the room brainstorming endings for all of our characters. Whether they were series regulars in Season 8, or they were series regulars in Season 1, we really wanted to give everyone a satisfying ending, so that you could envision what their lives would be like, after the show was over.

RAMSEY: There’s a lot of emotions for me, and for John Diggle. This is the longest I’ve run on any show, and that’s for most of us. Just having this network of The Flash and Legends and Batwoman, and all of these tentacles is strange. It feels as if it’s over, but it’s also like, look at all of my children and look at this world that we created. It is not over. I’m used to, an actor, you do a show and you’re done, you move onto the next and, and there’s that. But there’s also this legacy with this thing that we’ve created, that just feels really special. And people are always interested and they’re always asking questions. It’s great to be a part of that. As an actor, we’re used to these things ending, but with this, there’s a piece that just feels like it doesn’t, which is also very good.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I like in the first clip the sense that Mia is trying to be both like her mom, and like her dad, and feeling that she's failing at both, It sets up a nice Hero's Journey potential.

Since this is the last time we'll be on this thread, I want to thank @tv echo for the amazing amount of information that she has posted on these threads; they've added to my enjoyment of the show hugely.

And I want to thank everyone who has posted here, for the insights, the laughs, the support through bad times, and all the fun of the last eight years, This is the best fandom I've ever been in. I've really have had the time of my life, and I owe it all to you

• Love 11
9 minutes ago, tv echo said:

MG and Beth basically confirm that the final scene is an Olicity scene...

‘Arrow’ EPs on Crafting the Series Finale and How Long They’ve Known the Ending
BY CHRISTINA RADISH      JANUARY 28, 2020

What went into the decision, in terms of keeping Earth-2 Laurel versus bringing back the original version of Laurel?
GUGGENHEIM: We went back and forth on that a great deal, and truth be told, that was really driven by the spin-off. I think if we weren’t doing a spin-off, we probably would’ve gone a different way. We had a lot of conversations – me and Beth, and me, Beth, Jill [Blankenship] and Oscar [Balderrama], who will be running the spin-off, if it goes – about which version of Laurel we wanted in the spin-off, and we’ve really fallen in love, over the years, with the Earth-2 version of Laurel. We love Katie [Cassidy]’s take on that character, we love writing for that character, and we love the complexities of that character’s moral see-saw. She’s just always been a more interesting character to us.

SCHWARTZ: In Season 7 and 8, she was really able to redeem herself, and we felt that that was such an important story for her character. She’s come such a long way, from murdering people, all the time, to becoming the hero that she was, at the end of Season 8, and will continue to be in the spin-off, hopefully. So, it just felt like we would short change her, if we didn’t really honor the growth that her character went through.

https://collider.com/arrow-series-finale-interview-marc-guggenheim-beth-schwartz/

I feel like they just thought "E1 or E2?" Instead of thinking "what would this newly merged Laurel be, one that knows her E2/E1 past". She gets to escape all of the interesting things Crisis could've done.

3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Since this is the last time we'll be on this thread, I want to thank @tv echo for the amazing amount of information that she has posted on these threads; they've added to my enjoyment of the show hugely.

And I want to thank everyone who has posted here, for the insights, the laughs, the support through bad times, and all the fun of the last eight years, This is the best fandom I've ever been in, and I owe it all to you

Agreed. @tv echo you should (and need to) start your own tumblr spoiler site! 

And as one (if not the only lol) Laurel fan on this site.....while plenty of disagreements, the one thing that kept bringing me back to this site is that you all actually know how to discuss the spoilers, episodes, and all that jazz in a fair amount of depth.

• Love 9

In that Felicity sneak peek she just walks past Mia (understandably I guess, she doesn't know what she looks like) but I don't quite understand what Mia's reaction is meant to be? Upset her mom didn't recognize her? Also why does no one say "Um Felicity, this is your daughter from the future?" LMAO.

11 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Part of it was that we realized, if we kidnapped William one more time, over the life of the show, we would get a free set of steak knives, and I wanted those knives.

Okay, that's seriously funny.

13 minutes ago, tv echo said:

we’ve really fallen in love, over the years, with the Earth-2 version of Laurel. We love Katie [Cassidy]’s take on that character, we love writing for that character, and we love the complexities of that character’s moral see-saw. She’s just always been a more interesting character to us.

They should have listened to me as I was frantically tweeting to MG and AK in season 2 to make Laurel darker and more snarky.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, tv echo said:

GUGGENHEIM: Part of it was that we realized, if we kidnapped William one more time, over the life of the show, we would get a free set of steak knives, and I wanted those knives.

This child has so much experience being a kidnapping victim that he should put it on his resume. 

• LOL 6
10 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Since this is the last time we'll be on this thread,

Oh wow, you're right.  Fond farewell to the spoiler discussion thread, with a cumulative 100,200 comments and 3.8 million views over its 3 iterations. 

Quoted from above Collider article, but it bears repeating...

SCHWARTZ: We had large conversations, just in Arrow, of the characters who were dead and the ones that we were bringing back. That was a larger conversation that Marc and I had, and that we had with the room, ‘cause we were really setting the rules. We spell it out, in the finale, that it’s the people who were important to Oliver that have come back. That doesn’t mean that we won’t surprise you, if the spin-off goes or on the other shows, if there’s another character that might come back.

So... no E1 Laurel. C'mon, this is funny!

• LOL 7
3 minutes ago, tv echo said:

So... no E1 Laurel. C'mon, this is funny!

So her father is now more important to Oliver than E1 Laurel? Ouch. In all seriousness it's a lot to do with the spin off as they said upthread but they didn't think about merging them?

I'm glad he's included because I love him but  90% of Quentin's entire storyline was about mourning his daughters, he was kind of happy and relieved to finally get to sacrifice himself or a bitchy copy of one of them.

• LOL 2

E2 Laurel kind of becomes their version of Power Girl, all alone in a world that isn't hers and has no way to get back to her Earth. I'm mainly upset that they didnt go with some kind of merged Laurel since all of her connections to E1 characters are from her E2 POV, I need more Laurel/Sara in my life and I dont know if LoT or possible spin off will try to do anything with that.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

In that Felicity sneak peek she just walks past Mia (understandably I guess, she doesn't know what she looks like) but I don't quite understand what Mia's reaction is meant to be? Upset her mom didn't recognize her? Also why does no one say "Um Felicity, this is your daughter from the future?" LMAO.

I’m assuming that comes next and it’s just an awkwardly done scene but also something they didn’t want to release ahead of the episode? But yeah. Could’ve been handled better. 

Honestly, the way no one seems to acknowledge Mia — from what I remember when I quickly watched the clip earlier — part of me was like, why are they doing this in such a way that I feel like I should question if anyone can see her?

3 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

I’m assuming that comes next and it’s just an awkwardly done scene but also something they didn’t want to release ahead of the episode? But yeah. Could’ve been handled better. 

Honestly, the way no one seems to acknowledge Mia — from what I remember when I quickly watched the clip earlier — part of me was like, why are they doing this in such a way that I feel like I should question if anyone can see her?

Oh I'm sure they'll be getting an introduction but it's just an oddly set-up scene. Mia's face gets a reaction on camera so it feels like it's intentional but for what reason? It would've been better if Mia wasn't in that particular scene because Felicity just walking past her without wondering who she is is just weird, haha.

Edited by Angel12d

I'm a little behind just read all the spoilers. I wanna be surprised they're kidnapping kid William, but the only thing that has been consistent with Arrow (and the whole verse in general) is they love reusing storylines. Even though I haven't been that active lately, I will miss this board. This has always been the most active board of all my shows, and the people here have always been the most fun to chat with.