Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: The Moose

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

(edited)

The survivalists get serious about hunting before the wildlife starts to disappear for the winter; One participant has a chance to make history by taking down big game, while another is set back by a nasty puncture wound. 

Airs Thursday, June 27th. 

Edited by Quilt Fairy

I didn't notice until today that Jordan sounds drunk or stoned.  Did he sound like that from the beginning or is he getting worn out from the environment and sounding slurry?

• Love 4

Anybody who was surprised that Ray tapped after eating Wilson (HA, Drogo), raise their hand.  Nobody?  Thought not.  🙂

Oh, Nikki, Nikki, Nikki.   First the knife mishap, and now you stab yourself with an arrow.  I hope you don't go trapping.  You could trip and accidentally garrote yourself with the wire.  !!  I'll have to pass on the blueberry mouse-head muffin.  

It's nice that Michelle's shelter is fixable.  

I continue to like Woniya, and was so glad she found her grouse.  That was a nice looking plate of meat she showed us.  

Jordan's moose alert worked well!  If he gets a moose, I have to forgive him for somehow accidentally swallowing gasoline in his past!!  🤣

Seven left on day 20?  That seems pretty good to me.   

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

I expected more from Ray, I thought he would last longer.  I guess I have to respect his logic though:  He knew he wasn't going to find any more food, so why stay and starve?

He seemed to like the lifestyle a lot though.  Seems like guys like him would do well living off the grid in more hospitable places, without all the "game show" restrictions.  Sounds like he would really enjoy it.

The one guy actually managed to wound a moose, at least.  I can't remember his name, I'm not doing too well on the names this season.  The previews make me wonder if the moose might have been wounded, and then wandered into another contestant's camp.

I don't understand this.  Five seasons and no one could hardly hit the broad side of a barn with a bow.  This season people are shooting game left and right.  Maybe they improved the quality of the bow and arrows available?

• Love 6

Why did they show someone apparently falling in the water and someone being taken out on a stretcher when it wasn’t in this episode? 

What is the logic behind letting people bring a bow and arrows but not a fishing rod and reel?

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

What is the logic behind letting people bring a bow and arrows but not a fishing rod and reel?

That's a very good question.  Maybe because it's probably not possible to fashion a functional bow and arrows from what they have available like it is a fishing pole.  Don't know.

I liked Ray and enjoyed listening to him talk so I was sorry to see him go.  He seemed defeated so it was probably good that he left before he got sick or injured.

I like Woniya.  I think she has the best chance of succeeding of any of the women we've seen on the show.  

• Love 8

Ray should go back to his day job, put away every dollar possible and buy himself a homestead somewhere, even if it’s just for him to enjoy by himself. 

For a few minutes, I was getting my survival shows mixed up and thought that since it was Day 20, miraculously some food would appear, a la Naked and Afraid.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

The one guy actually managed to wound a moose, at least.  I can't remember his name, I'm not doing too well on the names this season.  The previews make me wonder if the moose might have been wounded, and then wandered into another contestant's camp.

I don't think Jordan wounded the moose.  Didn't he say his arrow dropped right in between its front feet?  Then said something about maybe having enough time to get off a second arrow, had he brought one, which he didn't. 

2 hours ago, rmontro said:

Five seasons and no one could hardly hit the broad side of a barn with a bow

I think someone last year was pretty good with a bow.  If it cost me my life, I can't remember who, though.  Nothing like we've seen this year.  

2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Why did they show someone apparently falling in the water and someone being taken out on a stretcher when it wasn’t in this episode? 

Because the production PTB are a.n.n.o.y.in.g.!!?  I'd be happy if it even happens this *season*.  😛  Remember the dog-wolf?  Never happened as far as I know. 

2 hours ago, mlp said:

I like Woniya.  I think she has the best chance of succeeding of any of the women we've seen on the show. 

Me too.  Afraid to get my hopes up, though!

• Love 4
10 hours ago, patty1h said:

I didn't notice until today that Jordan sounds drunk or stoned.  Did he sound like that from the beginning or is he getting worn out from the environment and sounding slurry?

I don’t mean this as an insult but he sounds a lot like Buffalo Bill from The Silence of the Lambs movie.

I was disappointed but not surprised at Ray’s tap out. Some of past participants have found it very difficult to adjust back to regular lives after doing this show. I have a feeling Ray might be among them. 

5 hours ago, MostlyContent said:

I don't think Jordan wounded the moose.  Didn't he say his arrow dropped right in between its front feet?  Then said something about maybe having enough time to get off a second arrow, had he brought one, which he didn't. 

I think someone last year was pretty good with a bow.  If it cost me my life, I can't remember who, though.  Nothing like we've seen this year.  

Because the production PTB are a.n.n.o.y.in.g.!!?  I'd be happy if it even happens this *season*.  😛  Remember the dog-wolf?  Never happened as far as I know. 

Me too.  Afraid to get my hopes up, though!

I think the great hunter from last year was the guy formerly known as crazy Dave. He was pretty good but admitted what he caught was not worth the expenditure of calories It took to hunt.

7 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Ray should go back to his day job, put away every dollar possible and buy himself a homestead somewhere, even if it’s just for him to enjoy by himself. 

For a few minutes, I was getting my survival shows mixed up and thought that since it was Day 20, miraculously some food would appear, a la Naked and Afraid.

I really hope that happens for him. He does seem to love being out in nature and seemed heart broken about leaving.

• Love 4

Nikki is a hot mess. The number one rule of this show should be "don't be a total freakin' klutz." That kind of carelessness can take you out in less than one second. And when she was lighting the fire afterward I was SURE she was going to light her bandage on fire.

• Love 7

Can anyone more knowledgeable of hunting tell us how easy it is to take down a moose with a fairly primitive bow? I would think for that to even be POSSIBLE, you'd have to be at very close range and have flawless aim. And you gotta be able to take it all the way down because a wounded moose would be dangerous as hell. It just seems like a horrible idea.

• Love 11

We didn't get to see the woman that had found the drum and rigged the fishing lines to it, bummer!!!

Never expected Ray to be going home so soon, I related to him in so many ways.  

Love Woniya and she has the best attitude so far.

Poor Nikki

After seeing last nights show I really do wonder if they are fair about putting these participants in these perspective areas.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Tatortot said:

After seeing last nights show I really do wonder if they are fair about putting these participants in these perspective areas.

I'm starting to wonder about that, too.  If it was just a documentary about living alone in the wild, I would be fine with TPTB putting someone at a distinct disadvantage just for shits and giggles.  But since these folks are contestants in a competition (theoretically a competition of skill) for prize money, I don't see how some of the disparities we've seen can be justified.  It's way beyond the normal "every site has it's pros and cons". 

• Love 9

Is it just me, or does anyone else find a lot of the contestants difficult to understand, or think they have really annoying voices? I found this episode really boring, and FFwd through a lot of it. 😕

• Love 4
1 hour ago, pezgirl7 said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else find a lot of the contestants difficult to understand, or think they have really annoying voices? I found this episode really boring, and FFwd through a lot of it. 😕

I have closed captioning on for everything.  That doesn't wipe out annoying voices, but at least I can read what they're saying.

• Love 11

Nikki is a walking disaster and a menace to herself...she needs to get her first aid kit restocked just 2 weeks into the competition...

Maybe she will walk off a cliff and fall on top of a deer, breaking her fall but killing the deer...

Ray met Karma....

Ray fell in the water but stayed upright.

The guy in the stretcher may have been Donny..the first tap.

That grouse was meaty....

Jordan reported bubbly blood on the ground foliage so he did hit Moose Two....to be continued to next week....

Michelle caught a very lucky break with her fire contained to the back wall....

No Nathan, No Barry, No Brady

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, rmontro said:

I don't understand this.  Five seasons and no one could hardly hit the broad side of a barn with a bow.  This season people are shooting game left and right.  Maybe they improved the quality of the bow and arrows available?

I tend to think they've just selected people better able to use them.  Too bad they also can't keep from injuring themselves!  One would think that being better able to use a bow would imply being better able to avoid stabbing oneself with an arrow, but noooooo.....😏

9 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Can anyone more knowledgeable of hunting tell us how easy it is to take down a moose with a fairly primitive bow? I would think for that to even be POSSIBLE, you'd have to be at very close range and have flawless aim. And you gotta be able to take it all the way down because a wounded moose would be dangerous as hell. It just seems like a horrible idea.

I knew that would be a long shot at best (badum-bum), LOL.  😆

20 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I'm just happy we got to see the moose.  We thought that might be a tease like the wolf that season that never materialized.

I was also sorry to see Ray go.  It felt a little abrupt but I have to wonder if his mental state was affected by the knowledge that it was getting colder and that resources were likely to get even scarcer toward Winter - that plus his allowed rations were probably running out and his energy level low.  He already lost 15 lbs., which I only WISH I could lose in 2 weeks.  Even if I basically starved I'd never lose anywhere near that, and I know because I did basically starve last year for several months when dealing with gallbladder issues and couldn't eat pretty much anything.  Obviously Ray needs a lot more calories to maintain than I do.  I know, being a tall man has something to do with it, but at the time I was just over 200 lbs. so that should count for something.  Still, I lost 20 lbs. over 4 months.  I'm not complaining.

• Love 5

Agh, more shrieking from another suffering squirrel! And the wounded grouse flies away, and might have been pierced through for naught! I can't cope! 

Bummed about Ray. He didn't belabor it, just made the logical decision. He wasn't going to win and didn't see the point of suffering. 

• Love 6

This episode's title meant I had to watch the whole episode with the sound off reading the subtitles, ready to put my hand up so I didn't have to see or hear a moose die. I guess the joke's on me.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, lidarose9 said:

This episode's title meant I had to watch the whole episode with the sound off reading the subtitles, ready to put my hand up so I didn't have to see or hear a moose die. I guess the joke's on me.

Yeah, I was ducking my head a lot and hitting the mute too.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Tatortot said:

We didn't get to see the woman that had found the drum and rigged the fishing lines to it, bummer!!!

That's Michelle.  The woman with the shelter fire.  She was probably too busy to check the barrel, although if what we saw last week holds true it wouldn't matter.  

11 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Jordan reported bubbly blood on the ground foliage so he did hit Moose Two....to be continued to next week....

Oh shoot!  I always forget which forums allow talk about the previews and which require spoilers.  🙊  Yep, in the previews it seems that Jordan did hit the second moose! I was previously speaking about this episode only.  

'Bubbly blood' is actually a good sign as it indicates a lung shot.  If so, I hope Jordan finds and dispatches him quickly.  Of course an instant kill is what all hunters pray for, but that doesn't always happen. I'm so sorry if this offends some posters.   I have no problem with anyone hunting for sustenance, and not trophies.    

I do not enjoy listening to animals in pain.  If Jordan did indeed get a moose, I hope he's far more concerned about finding and dispatching it quickly than finding it and setting up a camera before doing so.  If he did indeed get a moose, and takes *any* time before finishing the job.....he's dead to me.  Filming for Alone, or not.  

• Love 7

I so want to see moose! I'll be in Alaska and Canada in Aug/Sept and I am hoping they will be around.

Jordan's speech really stuck out this episode. 

Sorry to see Ray go. Nikki is a walking danger zone, to herself. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kelda Feegle said:

I so want to see moose! I'll be in Alaska and Canada in Aug/Sept and I am hoping they will be around.

@Kelda Feegle - if you'll be spending any time in British Columbia, a great travel resource is https://www.hellobc.com/

My friend lives near Anchorage, Alaska and has moose in her yard all the time.  Once when she went grocery shopping, a moose gave birth in the Fred Meyer parking lot!

And, if you haven't seen it, the PBS show Nature had an excellent episode  "Moose : Life of a Twig Eater".

• Love 1
3 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

And, if you haven't seen it, the PBS show Nature had an excellent episode  "Moose : Life of a Twig Eater".

Which coincidentally has been on this week, so you may be able to catch it in a rerun.

• Love 2

I wasn't enthralled with the episode but it does show how difficult it is going to be to survive. I do wish that they had started in the summer giving the campers a chance at catching fish and putting up a supply of smoked fish. I still have a problem with their "fishing", it doesn't see like anyone spends a lot of time at it, or puts in much effort.

On 6/28/2019 at 12:55 AM, LittleIggy said:

Good question since they have modern sleeping bags, axes, tarps, pots, flint/fire starters. I can only think that it's because a bow & arrow is a primitive weapon whereas a rod & reel with modern lures or fly rod & flies is thought to be too much of an advantage?

I know that after my shelter is built I'm spending 8+ hours a day walking up and down the shoreline fishing, working each spot, casting left, centre, right, far, near, repeat 3 times. Move 20 - 30 fee, repeat.

On 6/28/2019 at 11:00 AM, ClareWalks said:

Can anyone more knowledgeable of hunting tell us how easy it is to take down a moose with a fairly primitive bow? 

I'm not a hunter/bow hunter but do know a few. I don't think that it is that easy as it is a big animal. The closer you are the better as the more energy the arrow has when it hits the more damage it will do. Ideally for a moose you would like a lung shot. The lungs will fill with blood making it difficult for the moose to breathe plus you are wanting the moose to bleed out as quick as possible. As @MostlyContent said "bubbly blood" is a good sign.

Michelle: Glad that her shelter didn't burn down but she really needs to insulate it.

Jordan: His shelter still needs work. It looks like he laid a couple of spruce boughs against his tarp and that's the extent of his shelter? The moose looked to be at an extreme range for a regular bow although kudos for getting close.

Nikki: A mouse and a squirrel. Good work but it's not going to cut it. Not sure how you stab yourself with an arrow when you are hunting. Great shot on the squirrel BTW.

Woniya: Good shot on the grouse, again it's not enough in the long run but at least you had no self inflicted wounds.

Ray: Sad to see you go. Judging by your shelter, IMHO the best this season, I thought that you would go far. You're right to recognize that there's very little on land (other than a moose or bear) that is going to sustain you. I really wish that you had brought a gill net or knew how to fish.

I think that we will see the moose shot and killed next episode. I can't imagine that the production company would allow a moose to be wounded and then just left to wander off without being used. This group is very good with the bow.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Tanstaafl said:

I think that we will see the moose shot and killed next episode. I can't imagine that the production company would allow a moose to be wounded and then just left to wander off without being used.

Since the moose hunter is Alone, production has little control, other than not showing the footage at all.  They'd only know about the incident after the fact, when they came to collect the footage, replace batteries, and do a health check.

I'm hoping it was a clean "kill shot", but at that distance, I'm slightly skeptical.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Tanstaafl said:

Not sure how you stab yourself with an arrow when you are hunting.

It was shear carelessness.  She got so excited after she killed the squirrel that she didn't sheath her arrow.  She was holding it (tip down) and the bow loosely in one hand while she walked back to camp.  She either stumbled or took an awkward step due to the terrain and the arrow tip went into her thigh. 

I am concerned that this was the same arrow that just killed the squirrel, so the chance for a contaminated wound is high. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 6/29/2019 at 11:56 PM, walnutqueen said:

@Kelda Feegle - if you'll be spending any time in British Columbia, a great travel resource is https://www.hellobc.com/

My friend lives near Anchorage, Alaska and has moose in her yard all the time.  Once when she went grocery shopping, a moose gave birth in the Fred Meyer parking lot!

On 6/30/2019 at 3:06 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

Which coincidentally has been on this week, so you may be able to catch it in a rerun.

Sadly this PBS show isn't on in Australia.

I have a week in Anchorage after the cruise up the Inside Passage, then fly to Toronto to get a car and drive around for two weeks - going to look at Algonquin area due to Cardinal ( 🙂 ) then through to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, hoping that moose will be around in Gros Mountain.

I'm still concerned that the shelters this season don't look as well prepared as previous ones.

• Love 1
On 6/29/2019 at 4:57 PM, walnutqueen said:

Since the moose hunter is Alone, production has little control, other than not showing the footage at all.

In general the individual is going to need a hunting license, for most of the participants that would be an alien non-resident license, they may also need a specific tag for the game they take such as moose, bear, musk ox, etc.,  and some big game will be off limits or possibly out of season.

It can get complicated though depending upon if they are hunting within a land claims area and I'm not up on all specifics. "Alone" as in the production company probably made all the arrangements and likely paid all the license fees but the individual hunter would still be responsible for the game they killed.

In a case where big game is injured "Alone" may have a deal with Lutsel K'e for their people to track and dispatch any wounded animals. Participants may be required to report killing or injuring any big game - that's part of the behind the scenes that it would be interesting to know.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Tanstaafl said:

In general the individual is going to need a hunting license, for most of the participants that would be an alien non-resident license, they may also need a specific tag for the game they take such as moose, bear, musk ox, etc.,  and some big game will be off limits or possibly out of season.

It can get complicated though depending upon if they are hunting within a land claims area and I'm not up on all specifics. "Alone" as in the production company probably made all the arrangements and likely paid all the license fees but the individual hunter would still be responsible for the game they killed.

In a case where big game is injured "Alone" may have a deal with Lutsel K'e for their people to track and dispatch any wounded animals. Participants may be required to report killing or injuring any big game - that's part of the behind the scenes that it would be interesting to know.

Well then, I'd expect to see a radio call to "production" or whomever saying I wounded a big game animal in the next episode.  Show us everything!

Squealing wounded squirrel et al would probably take issue with this distinction.  I hesitate to do so, only because moose births and juvenile survival rates are in decline in many areas. The wounded animals make no such distinction.  At the end of the day, everybody needs to eat, and killing is, sadly, often brutal.

• Love 1

I was driving into town today, with my dog Scooby-Doo riding shotgun... a squirrel starts to dart across the road in front of me so I slowed down as I didn’t want to hit it. Scooby lost his mind, and I reminded him that the squirrel is still alive, he can chase it another day.

I would never survive by killing squealing squirrels.

• Love 1
On 7/2/2019 at 9:03 PM, cooksdelight said:

I would never survive by killing squealing squirrels.

If the squirrel is wounded and squealing, my top priority is going to be putting it out of its misery.  As opposed to leaving it lay there and suffer.

• Love 2
On 7/2/2019 at 3:41 PM, walnutqueen said:

Well then, I'd expect to see a radio call to "production" or whomever saying I wounded a big game animal in the next episode.  Show us everything!

I agree that we should get to see how the sausage is made, that's part of the fun of watching some of these reality shows.

On 7/2/2019 at 9:03 PM, cooksdelight said:

I was driving into town today, with my dog Scooby-Doo riding shotgun

What a good boi! Just doing his job protecting the world from demented squirrels. And now I have a mental image of Scooby-Doo hanging out the window with a shotgun in his paws!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I really enjoy the shelter building and the other construction projects they take on. I wish they would show more. I always have to close my eyes and mute when the animal killing starts. Seems I always turn on this show on when I’m eating dinner.

• Love 4