Type keyword(s) to search

Awards and Nominations

Gold Derby has an article on how Start might be a good bet for the Writing Emmy this year.

Though “The Americans” took a while to get on the Emmy radar in most top categories, this is actually the show’s fourth straight nomination for its writing. It contends for it acclaimed series finale “START,” written by showrunners Joel Fields and Joe Weisberg, and as of this writing five Experts think it will prevail: Eric Deggans (NPR), Joyce Eng (Gold Derby), Chris Harnick (E!), Matt Roush (TV Guide Magazine) and Ben Travers (IndieWire).

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

Ok, I knew he had an accent and I’ve even seen him in things before where he wasn’t hiding it - but my knees just melted listening to that acceptance speech.

Mine too. I hope Keri’s did also. He also speaks with his natural Welsh accent on talk shows; sometimes they ask to see him switch between the Welsh & the American accent.

• Love 4

It was kinda amusing to see The Americans following the pathway that Friday Night Lights did in its final season and winning Best Actor & Drama Writing, but I was definitely hoping KR could slide in for a win, though it was quite unlikely and Best Actress was just packed with hugely competitive performances. Anyway, I am still incredibly happy the show got some Emmy love, though it feels like a travesty GOT won best drama!

• Love 8

I'm so very happy for Mathew!  Also, I'm very glad he mentioned Noah, because Mathew's excellence in that garage scene was at least partially because of how very good Noah was.

He's just such a nice guy too, and I'm thrilled for him!

Thanks for the video links everyone.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Well, we at least got 1 major award, for Matthew.

Writing is also a major award.  Matthew doesn't make up his dialog, you know.  ;-)

2 hours ago, kokapetl said:

Keri Russell was robbed. I blame the capitalists for funding a tv show about a ? royal fantasy.  

Ha-ha!  I knew Keri was a long-shot, as that category was packed.  I can't begrudge Claire Foy though.  She was superb.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I didn't watch last night.  Were there any other cast members from The Americans other than Kerri and Matthew? 

It's all up on Youtube.

I'm so happy Mathew won! 

Edited by Umbelina

So thrilled to see Mathew win. He earned that Emmy. Would have been great to see Keri win, too, but I’ll take what I can get!

I was definitely bummed to see Noah wasn’t even nominated though—he’s been great throughout the whole series, but yeah, that final garage scene between him and Mathew was... electrifying? Chilling? Just all around amazing. 

• Love 6
Just now, Duke2801 said:

So thrilled to see Mathew win. He earned that Emmy. Would have been great to see Keri win, too, but I’ll take what I can get!

I was definitely bummed to see Noah wasn’t even nominated though—he’s been great throughout the whole series, but yeah, that final garage scene between him and Mathew was... electrifying? Chilling? Just all around amazing. 

I agree about Noah.  He should have won for that garage scene alone.  Mathew was fantastic in that, but for me anyway, it was Noah who sold it.

Keri should have probably won long ago, but that competition is very stiff.

• Love 2

Keri looked thrilled when Matthew won. It was almost like she had been telling him that he would and when his name was announced it was just confirmation of her prediction.  From all that I've seen from them....I really think she can be happy for him, without any jealousy. 

I really wonder if Matthew wants to marry and Keri doesn't.  She warned him not to propose on stage.....he must have been asking her before.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

Or Keri simply doesn't want a public spectacle.

This whole season was written for Keri to win.  Luckily, they gave Mathew ONE very good scene, and he nailed it, and deservedly won.

Still bummed that Noah didn't get a supporting nod.

I also am glad the writers won, the deserved other wins as well.  As I've said before, I loved the episodes, just not as finales.  Pretty good to pull out a win when about 1/3rd of it was musical montages. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

Writing is also a major award.  Matthew doesn't make up his dialog, you know.  ;-)

Ha-ha!  I knew Keri was a long-shot, as that category was packed.  I can't begrudge Claire Foy though.  She was superb.

CF was also in the same position as KR- this was her last chance to win for the role. I didn’t watch S2 of the Crown, but I do know CF was great in S1. 

I’m really excited for Matthew. He  deserved it. His work has always been outstanding and the final episode was truly amazing. I’m glad to hear he mentioned Noah. He was fabulous as well. The garage scenes don’t work without both of them being perfect. And they were. 

Edited by Erin9
  • Love 2

I think everyone seemed to expect Sandra O to win.  I don't know the other performances well enough, Keri was amazing, but it sounds like the competition was very very good as well.

I'm glad she at least got a nomination though, and with that field, not winning isn't a loss.

I wish Noah got a nod, even though he would have lost to Dinklage. 

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

Ouch, Keri made the "worst dressed" Emmy list at TV guide.  She's in good company though.

https://www.tvguide.com/galleries/emmys-2018-worst-dressed/13/

She's number 13, I can't copy the photo here.

I liked her dress a lot!!!  I thought it was brave and fit her new more badass vibe after playing Elizabeth.

EDIT: I just looked at some of the Worst Dressed all of the Best Dressed.  OMG!!!  Are they blind???  I think that they pulled names out of a hat.      

Edited by crgirl412
  • Love 1

I didn't think it was the most flattering dress for her, but I agree about most of the other choices there being WTF?

In general I feel like if your top is split to THERE then don't have everything but your panties showing on the bottom too, and black is boring, and with that much eye makeup, looked kind of harsh as well.  She's a natural beauty, and I think her stylist goofed.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, ruby24 said:

I'm so happy he won! I loved him SO much on this show, I always believed he was the soul of the series, more than Keri. 

IMO, Philip was always written with more complexity and dimensionality than Elizabeth, but Keri did amazing work with the material she was given. 

9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It's hard to believe this thing is really over.  The awards sort of bring it home.  I don't know if I'll ever find another series that I had that kind of passion about.  So far, I haven't. 

Same here. I’m bummed. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Umbelina said:

I didn't think it was the most flattering dress for her, but I agree about most of the other choices there being WTF?

In general I feel like if your top is split to THERE then don't have everything but your panties showing on the bottom too, and black is boring, and with that much eye makeup, looked kind of harsh as well.  She's a natural beauty, and I think her stylist goofed.

I don’t think it was the most flattering either, but worst seems like a gross overstatement. A lot of their worst dresses I thought were lovely. Or at least definitely not qualifying as worst.  Makes me wonder what I’d think of the best dressed list. Lol I haven’t looked yet. 

Edited by Erin9
On 9/18/2018 at 10:22 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

It's hard to believe this thing is really over.  The awards sort of bring it home.  I don't know if I'll ever find another series that I had that kind of passion about.  So far, I haven't. 

This may not be the thread for this, but.....If you haven’t given Babylon Berlin a try, I’d recommend it. It’s on Netflix. It’s a German show taking place in 1929 Germany- the twilight of the Weimar Republic.  I’m 6 episodes into S1, and it is amazing. Brilliant.  Netflix better grab S3 when it comes out! 

It’s loosely based on books- 2 of which have been translated into English. Definitely  going to give them a try too. 

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Erin9 said:

This may not be the thread for this, but.....If you haven’t given Babylon Berlin a try, I’d recommend it. It’s on Netflix. It’s a German show taking place in 1929 Germany- the twilight of the Weimar Republic.  I’m 6 episodes into S1, and it is amazing. Brilliant.  Netflix better grab S3 when it comes out! 

I second this nomination. I LOVED Babylon Berlin. 

On 10/2/2018 at 1:27 PM, Erin9 said:

It’s loosely based on books- 2 of which have been translated into English. Definitely  going to give them a try too. 

I think S2 is even better. 

• Love 1
On 10/21/2018 at 9:16 PM, Door County Cherry said:

I think S2 is even better. 

Agreed. They settle in. 

I just hope Netflix buys S3.....I need to see what happens.

I have started reading the first book though! 

• Love 1

2019 Golden Globes nominations  

Best Television Series – Drama

• “The Americans”
  • “Bodyguard”
  • “Homecoming”
  • “Killing Eve”
  • “Pose”

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Drama

• Caitriona Balfe (“Outlander”)
  • Elisabeth Moss (“The Handmaid’s Tale”)
  • Sandra Oh (“Killing Eve”)
  • Julia Roberts (“Homecoming”)
  • Keri Russell (“The Americans”)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Drama

• Jason Bateman (“Ozark”)
  • Stephan James (“Homecoming”)
  • Richard Madden (“Bodyguard”)
  • Billy Porter (“Pose”)
  • Matthew Rhys (“The Americans”)

I will be very pissed off if Julia Roberts wins an award for slumming it on tv. And neigh to Sandra Oh. 

Edited by kokapetl
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Regardless of how you feel about Paige I thought Holly Taylor got snubbed as much as Noah Emmerich did so I am glad they both at least got nominated for Critics Choice Awards.

http://www.criticschoice.com/critics-choice-awards/

I really wonder what episodes she submitted, or scenes, or do the Critics Choice awards do it that way?  Since you enjoy her, what scenes do you think she should have submitted?  I thought she was best in the bar picking up guys.

ETA, she's up against Julia Garner (Kimmy!) how fitting.  I think Yvonne Strahovski has this one though, she was amazing and showed such range this season.   Then again I don't watch the others except BCS, so any of these women could win.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Dina Shihabi – Jack Ryan (Amazon)
Julia Garner – Ozark (Netflix)
Thandie Newton – Westworld (HBO)
Rhea Seehorn – Better Call Saul (AMC)
Yvonne Strahovski – The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu)
Holly Taylor – The Americans (FX)

Edited by Umbelina
1 minute ago, Umbelina said:

http://www.criticschoice.com/critics-choice-awards/

I really wonder what episodes she submitted, or scenes, or do the Critics Choice awards do it that way?  Since you enjoy her, what scenes do you think she should have submitted?  I thought she was best in the bar picking up guys.

I actually really liked the fight with Philip where she got her ass kicked.  Or when any scene she had with Elizabeth.  There is a scene in my head where Paige is upset at Elizabeth I forget why but I thought it was really well done.  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I actually really liked the fight with Philip where she got her ass kicked.  Or when any scene she had with Elizabeth.  There is a scene in my head where Paige is upset at Elizabeth I forget why but I thought it was really well done.  

The fight scene with Philip was great, but I realize on re-watching, I pretty much adore every single scene he was in.  Maybe you are thinking of the scene where she calls Elizabeth a whore?  I thought she was most natural and believable in the bar scene (not the fight that followed, just the drinking, flirting, natural stuff.)  It was a brand new side to Paige, and the most believable scene she ever delivered.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

The fight scene with Philip was great, but I realize on re-watching, I pretty much adore every single scene he was in.  Maybe you are thinking of the scene where she calls Elizabeth a whore?  I thought she was most natural and believable in the bar scene (not the fight that followed, just the drinking, flirting, natural stuff.)  It was a brand new side to Paige, and the most believable scene she ever delivered.

I know a lot of people dislike Paige so that tends to effect the way they view Holly Taylor who really is a wonderful actress with a lot of potential.   

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I know a lot of people dislike Paige so that tends to effect the way they view Holly Taylor who really is a wonderful actress with a lot of potential.   

I didn't like Paige because they never made up their minds if she was brilliant with a "Russian soul" or a completely idiotic spoiled brat with delusions of grandeur, or simply a cult personality.

I didn't like Holly Taylor in this role, at all, she was so outclassed by this cast it was pitiful, she needs to make friend with nuance and thoughfulness about her character's motivations, and find the complexity in scenes..  I wish her the best though, and don't dislike her as a person, she could mature and be a good actress, specifically I think she's more suited for rom coms (and I like rom coms, that isn't a diss.)