Type keyword(s) to search

Awards and Nominations

I am still just so happy to see this show, especially Kerri and and Matthew, getting some love from The Emmys, at long last! I wish the Emmys had an ensemble cast award, because I want to give everyone some love. 

• Love 1
On 7/17/2016 at 1:28 PM, tennisgurl said:

I am still just so happy to see this show, especially Kerri and and Matthew, getting some love from The Emmys, at long last! I wish the Emmys had an ensemble cast award, because I want to give everyone some love. 

There is an Emmy category for Outstanding Casting For A Drama Series but The Americans wasn't nominated in that category (Downton Abbey, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Mr. Robot, and Orange Is the New Black are the nominees this year).

The full list of Emmy nominations for The Americans:

Lead actor in a drama - Matthew Rhys
Lead actress in a drama - Keri Russell
Drama series
Outstanding guest actress in a drama series - Margo Martindale
Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series - Joel Fields, Joe Weisberg

On July 26, 2016 at 9:38 AM, PinkRibbons said:

Do we know which episode is up for the writing Emmy?

On July 26, 2016 at 10:24 AM, sistermagpie said:

Persona Non Grata.

Great episode but not my favorite of the season.  I thought  "The Rat" was the best episode of the season.  But hey if it wins then I will change my opinion.  I am easy that way.  

• Love 1
19 hours ago, scartact said:

For the curious, per Gold Derby, KR & MR both submitted The Magic of David Copperfield V as their tapes for the Emmy's.

Not surprising. That ep is really character-driven for them. Elizabeth gets to yell at Paige and they yell at each other, plus Clark says good-bye to Martha. Juicy stuff all around.

On September 10, 2016 at 10:12 PM, SeanC said:

Margo won the Guest Actress Emmy again.

I was just coming over here to post that. Here's a link to a Tweet with some of her comments upon winning:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LauInLA/status/774791780336152577?p=v

I think that makes her 2nd Emmy (& 2nd in a row) for this show, & 3rd Emmy overall. Her 1st was for Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, for a 1-season show she did on CBS before this show, which I've already forgotten the name of unfortunately, where--as I remember--she played the office manager of a neurosurgeon, who was played by a pretty big deal actor as I remember.

Highlights of the Creative Arts Emmys (the ceremony for the guest acting performance awards & most of the "behind the scenes" award categories) will be on FXX network (not FX, where the show airs) next Saturday night--I would assume something of Margo's category presentation/her acceptance speech should be included in the Creative Arts Emmy show.

The major Emmys (as in the other categories Keri, Matthew, the writers, & the show are up for) will be given out next Sunday night; I forget on which network, but Jimmy Kimmel is hosting (so they might be on ABC, as a result). I read a couple of days ago (like Wednesday, Thursday, or yesterday, aka Friday) that Keri will be a presenter--& Margo will/should be presenting (or at least acknowledged during the major show as the Guest Actress in a Drama winner this year) as well, now that she's won this year's Dramatic Guest Actress Emmy.

Edited by BW Manilowe
Fixed a spacing issue.
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

I think that makes her 2nd Emmy (& 2nd in a row) for this show, & 3rd Emmy overall. Her 1st was for Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, for a 1-season show she did on CBS before this show, which I've already forgotten the name of unfortunately, where--as I remember--she played the office manager of a neurosurgeon, who was played by a pretty big deal actor as I remember.

That show was "A Gifted Man," but she didn't win anything for that. She won her first Emmy for "Justified."

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

Good for Margo, but sheesh, seriously?

Since she was in, like, 1 scene for less than 5 minutes in the whole season (as I remember--I mostly remember it was a scene between Margo's & Frank Langella's characters, I think about Philip & Elizabeth's characters, with a line reading I just loved from Margo--and she's a repeat winner for the role, I get your "sheesh". I mean, they chose a repeater when they could (& perhaps should) have chosen someone who was in their submitted ep(s) for longer & did more with their role/scene(s) than Margo. But as I said, I think earlier in the thread when I was venturing a guess why Alison Wright wasn't (deservedly, for at least this season) nominated for Supporting Actress in a Drama for her role as Martha, the Emmy voters like repeaters, the familiar, as both nominees & winners. Which is probably why Alison wasn't nominated in her category & why Margo won again in hers, not that--at least in some ways--she didn't deserve the award again. Margo was a familiar name in her category, having won in it last year (& having won, as pointed out upthread, her first Emmy as Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama for her role in another FX show, Justified, a few years ago) so--it turned out--most voters chose her... again, perhaps over a less familiar name who did more work in their scene/ep(s) & was, perhaps, more deserving of this year's Emmy than Margo. Just because that's how the Emmy voters tend to do things.

Edited by BW Manilowe
Removed an extraneous capital X from near the bottom of the post.
  • Love 1

At least Margo did more work this year.  She literally got the Guest Actress Emmy for one two-minute scene last year (her first scene with Frank Langella that was sadly a disappointment) where she wasn't asked to do anything.  The Emmys gave it to her because she was a prior winner and they love honoring prior winners.  I love Margo, she's an awesome actress but her victory last year was a joke. 

Her best work on The Americans was Season 1 though she was good as always this season.  Emmy good?  I can't really remember.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1
On July 26, 2016 at 4:13 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

There is an Emmy category for Outstanding Casting For A Drama Series but The Americans wasn't nominated in that category (Downton Abbey, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Mr. Robot, and Orange Is the New Black are the nominees this year).

The full list of Emmy nominations for The Americans:

Lead actor in a drama - Matthew Rhys
Lead actress in a drama - Keri Russell
Drama series
Outstanding guest actress in a drama series - Margo Martindale
Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series - Joel Fields, Joe Weisberg

A bit late with this reply... Sorry. I just had to say that I think the Outstanding Casting Emmys (they have them in multiple genres) go to the winning show's casting director(s); it's not an ensemble award presented to the winning show's cast members, like they have at the SAG Awards instead of an award for best show in whatever genre, which they have at the Emmys if not most other TV award shows.

According to this, the Drama categories won't be presented until almost the very end of the Emmys.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/emmys-2016-order-awards-are-930087

Writing in a Drama Series is category 19

Lead Actor in a Drama is category 23

Lead Actress in a Drama is category 24

Outstanding Drama Series is category 26 (The Last Category)

Edited to add...

Pics from Popsugar of Keri--with Matthew & alone--on the Red Carpet at FX Network's Pre-Emmys Party last night.

http://www.popsugar.com/celebrity/Keri-Russell-Matthew-Rhys-Pre-Emmys-Party-2016-42410306?slide=opening-slide

Posting these because, so far, I can't find any pics of them on the Emmys' Red Carpet.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a link.

We just lost the Drama Writing Emmy to Game of Thrones. And Margo was 1 of the category presenters (Keri helped present Outstanding Limited Series earlier tonight).

The Lead Acting & Series awards are still to come.

Matthew lost to Rami Malek, I think from Mr. Robot. And Keri lost to Tatiana Maslany from Orphan Black.

Drama Series Emmy still to come.

And the Drama Series Emmy went to Game of Thrones.

Is anything that wins a lot of Drama Emmys ending this season? We might have even better chances at nominations/wins next year, if it is.

Edited by BW Manilowe
Adding some information.
2 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

Well, at least Keri and Mathew got a nomination this time.

Maybe NEXT YEAR they will win!  And since, Martha being shown in Russia is supposed to happen (I think that's what I heard) then Allison still has a chance! 

2 minutes ago, crgirl412 said:

Maybe NEXT YEAR they will win!  And since, Martha being shown in Russia is supposed to happen (I think that's what I heard) then Allison still has a chance! 

They still have chances this coming season & next, at least if FX schedules them during the eligibility period. Now they have major nominations other than writing, getting more of them is hopefully more likely.

*sigh* I feel like Margo so wanted to be able to say "Joe and Joel" when she presented. Well, two more years to try.

Anyone else find it super weird that the only acting excerpts were for the Lead Male Actors? I really wanted to see which Elizabeth scene they would have used for Keri.

I think Holly Taylor looks very pretty in that picture. Keri and Matthew looked like they were really enjoying themselves, the camera hit them a lot. That's happy-making. :D

• Love 2

Not happy that The Americans lost best Actor and Actress awards but not sad that Mr Robot and Orphan Black won so I will call it a wash.

As much as I love American Crime and Fargo; the People vs OJ was just better tv and was happy with all the wins especially Sarah Paulson.  Loved that she brought Marcia Clark and loved her speech.

To be honest this wasn't a horrible Emmy.  I didn't hate the way the awards went.  Still though.....sad the Americans didn't win.

Ar least stupid Game of Throbes didn't win all the awards.  That would have pissed me off.

Orphan Black has already been canceled; I forgot. But I don't remember if the season Tatiana won for tonight is the last or if they still have 1 to air. That hopefully should clear some competition for Keri at least by S6; especially since Tatiana won tonight, in case she's eligible again next Emmys (& I'm pretty positive Claire Danes has already won for her spy role in Homeland at least once).

12 minutes ago, PinkRibbons said:

Anyone else find it super weird that the only acting excerpts were for the Lead Male Actors? I really wanted to see which Elizabeth scene they would have used for Keri.

Yes! For all the lip service they give to "women in Hollywood", it would have been nice to see a bit of their acting.

I'm sad for Matthew Rhys (Rami Malek's acting does nothing for me), but ... I'm really happy Tatiana Maslany won Best Actress. *ducks* I think Keri Russell is phenomenal, but Tatiana plays nine characters on her show and is in almost every scene. She's really earned her win.

2 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Orphan Black has already been canceled; I forgot. But I don't remember if the season Tatiana won for tonight is the last or if they still have 1 to air. 

Orphan Black has one more season to go. 

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

*sigh* I feel like Margo so wanted to be able to say "Joe and Joel" when she presented. Well, two more years to try.

I think Holly Taylor looks very pretty in that picture. Keri and Matthew looked like they were really enjoying themselves, the camera hit them a lot. That's happy-making. :D

I'll bet Margo was hoping she could say Joe & Joel's names in the Writing category too.

As for the omission of the scenes in the Drama Lead Actress category, they may have had to cut those for time. They ended right about on time, or just barely over, according to the clock on my iPhone, which I'm posting from. It still said 11:00 when my local news started.

9 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Yes! For all the lip service they give to "women in Hollywood", it would have been nice to see a bit of their acting.

I'm sad for Matthew Rhys (Rami Malek's acting does nothing for me), but ... I'm really happy Tatiana Maslany won Best Actress. *ducks* I think Keri Russell is phenomenal, but Tatiana plays nine characters on her show and is in almost every scene. She's really earned her win.

Orphan Black has one more season to go. 

OK then, Keri apparently has Tatiana as potential competition for S5 (this coming season), then Tatiana's out--unless she gets an eligible role in a new project that's nominated in Drama Lead Actress--for S6, our last season.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, BW Manilowe said:

OK then, Keri apparently has Tatiana as potential competition for S5 (this coming season), then Tatiana's out--unless she gets an eligible role in a new project that's nominated in Drama Lead Actress--for S6, our last season.

Tatiana's not the only competition, so there's no telling how it will go. I'd like to see Keri win one for sure. Maybe she and Matthew can both pull a Jon Hamm and win the Drama Actress/Drama Actor awards after the final season. That would be sweet.

1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

Tatiana's not the only competition, so there's no telling how it will go. I'd like to see Keri win one for sure. Maybe she and Matthew can both pull a Jon Hamm and win the Drama Actress/Drama Actor awards after the final season. That would be sweet.

I'm aware Tatiana's not Keri's only competition, at least next season. I was just trying to figure out who we might get rid of in her category in the next 2 seasons, which might give Keri a better chance of winning by/in S6. Of course, as we get rid of competition from the older stuff that's ending & always gets nominated/wins in the Drama category, we'll get new competition from shows yet to start, so the whole thing may be fruitless, unless you're Margo & can keep pulling out Guest Actress in a Drama Series wins for basically cameo appearances in the show. But Keri, Matthew, & the series pulling "Jon Hamm"s at their last eligible Emmys would be cool too.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a thought.

Disappointed by the lack of wins, but I guess it was an honor just to be nominated. And is Kerri and Matthew had to lose, I can live with them losing to Tatiana and Rami, who are both great. However, this show was totally robbed for Best Drama. I know it was a long shot, but it was the best season of the year, without a doubt. I love GoT, but this was a pretty uneven season, whereas The Americans was just brilliant all the way through. 

I swear, the only way Character Actress Margo Martindale could lose an Emmy is if they went up to every Emmy voter, and punched them in the face. And even then, it would be close. 

• Love 4

Now that two HBO dramas are in the category they were never going to win Drama anyway.  Honestly at this point HBO can start its own category in all the drama categories just to give the other shows a chance.  

I doubt Russel ore Rhys will win or expect to.  Just a fun night out for them.

Edited by Chaos Theory
2 hours ago, caitmcg said:

Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys were both nominated for Golden Globes, though the show itself missed out on a Best TV Drama nom.

And Keri was in the middle of changing barfed on baby sheets (hope baby Sam feels better soon) when she found out about her nomination, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/golden-globes-2017-nominees-react-955144/item/golden-globes-nominees-reax-nina-jacobson-955241?utm_source=twitter

Keri's reaction quote is pretty far down, under Julia Louis Dreyfus's quote.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a link & a comment.

I'm very surprised that The Americans was not nominated for any SAG awards. I keep thinking that OJ should be out of the running this year but it's just the timing of each awards show messing with my brain. 

Why the continued love for Downton Abbey? 

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, jb0495 said:

I'm very surprised that The Americans was not nominated for any SAG awards. I keep thinking that OJ should be out of the running this year but it's just the timing of each awards show messing with my brain. 

Why the continued love for Downton Abbey? 

I think a lot of it has to do with HBO.  Now it has TWO shows that are apparently in the drama category.  So you can either say the category has gotten tougher which is a good thing or HBO or possibly cable pay tv (like Netflix/Amazon/Hulu) needs its  own category.  

I am disappointed that The Americans didn't get shown any love because I honestly think it's the best show on TV today.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I think a lot of it has to do with HBO.  Now it has TWO shows that are apparently in the drama category.  So you can either say the category has gotten tougher which is a good thing or HBO or possibly cable pay tv (like Netflix/Amazon/Hulu) needs its  own category.  

I am disappointed that The Americans didn't get shown any love because I honestly think it's the best show on TV today.

I think I'd call Netflix/Amazon/Hulu more like "streaming video" than either cable or pay TV. And yeah, I'd argue that it probably needs its own category at this point, because it's neither commercial nor cable TV.

(edited)

Congratulations to Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys, who were nominated in the Outstanding Lead Actress & Actor in a Drama Series categories for this year's Emmy Awards--the second consecutive nomination for each of them!

And...

Further congratulations to Matthew... He was also nominated in the Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series category for his guest appearance on HBO's Girls.

Even more congratulations go to...

Alison Wright who was nominated in the Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series category for the role of Martha, the lonely FBI secretary who was duped by Philip's alter ego Clark & exfiltrated to the USSR to avoid being jailed for unwittingly helping Clark/Philip.

And the show also received a nomination for Outstanding Writing in a Drama Series for the season 5 finale ep, The Soviet Division.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

Congratulations to Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys, who were nominated in the Outstanding Lead Actress & Actor in a Drama Series categories for this year's Emmy Awards--the second consecutive nomination for each of them!

And...

Further congratulations to Matthew... He was also nominated in the Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series category for his guest appearance on HBO's Girls.

Even more congratulations go to...

Alison Wright who was nominated in the Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series category for the role of Martha, the lonely FBI secretary who was duped by Philip's alter ego Clark & exfiltrated to the USSR to avoid being jailed for unwittingly helping Clark/Philip.

And the show also received a nomination for Outstanding Writing in a Drama Series for the season 5 finale ep, The Soviet Division.

COOL!!!  Did the show ever receive a nomination for it's writing before?

Thanks, I was wondering which episode earned the writing nom.  I'll have to go back and rewatch it now, as I can't say that it made a great impression on me at the time. 

• Love 1

Michael McKean didn't get nominated for Better Call Saul so to me that proves how asinine and stupid the Emmy voters actually are.

Onto The Americans...Keri and Matthew deserved their nominations.  I'm glad to see Alison Wright finally get some love but she really deserved it last year.  I'm actually stunned they didn't nominate Margo Martindale again...these are the same voters who gave her a Guest Actress Emmy for two minutes of insignificant work in Season 3.

One thing the voters actually got right was not giving The Americans a nomination for Best Drama after an incredibly self-indulgent, waste of time Season 5.  The acting and character work remained as good as ever but the storyline were boring, occasionally sloppy and there were no standout episodes as the writers decided to pat themselves on the back all season.

• Love 3

One thing the voters actually got right was not giving The Americans a nomination for Best Drama after an incredibly self-indulgent, waste of time Season 5.  The acting and character work remained as good as ever but the storyline were boring, occasionally sloppy and there were no standout episodes as the writers decided to pat themselves on the back all season.

And yet I would still consider it better then House of Cards which did get nominated and probably will every season until it ends regardless of quality.   

Even with season 5 being arguably the worst season the show has done the show is still the best show on tv and I would put it up against almost any drama on tv in a fair fight.  

• Love 1