Type keyword(s) to search

Awards and Nominations

4 hours ago, crgirl412 said:

COOL!!!  Did the show ever receive a nomination for it's writing before?

I'm pretty sure it did last season, but can't remember the ep (should be mentioned somewhere if you look upthread). The nominated writers this season are, I believe, Joel Fields & Joe Weisberg.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, crgirl412 said:

I scrolled up & found which ep was nominated for the Outstanding Writing in a Drama Series Emmy last year. It was Persona Non Grata; I think it was also written by Joel Fields & Joe Weisberg.

(edited)
22 hours ago, crgirl412 said:

I am pretty sure it did for Do Mail Robots Dream of Electric Sheep.  Not sure if it won or not.  

Despite the fact that this show doesn't win any of the big awards it does have respect inside the industry.  Alison Wright got a couple a jobs because of her roll as Martha.   I doubt Keri, Matthew are going to win.   Alison is up for "guest actor" so she has a shot.   Still The Americans and all it actors have one hell of a show to put on their resume.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

Despite the fact that this show doesn't win any of the big awards it does have respect inside the industry.  Alison Wright got a couple a jobs because of her roll as Martha.   I doubt Keri, Matthew are going to win.   Alison is up for "guest actor" so she has a shot.   Still The Americans and all it actors have one hell of a show to put on their resume.  

It would be funny of Matthew and Alison both won in their guest actor categories. I somehow feel like Martha would be pleased.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I am pretty sure it did for Do Mail Robots Dream of Electric Sheep.  Not sure if it won or not.  

According to the Emmys' website, Alison is up against (the legendary) Cicely Tyson for How to Get Away with Murder; Laverne Cox for Orange Is the New Black; Shannon Purser for Stranger Things; Alexis Bledel for The Handmaid's Tale, & Ann Dowd for The Leftovers. With Cicely Tyson in the category, (& possibly with Laverne Cox, though the "buzz" seems to have lessened for OITNB) I'm not sure Alison's chances of pulling out a win are that great--though I'm trying to be optimistic. 

I'm not even sure what Matthew's chances are, in either category  he's nominated in, or what Keri's chances are, based on their competition.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a missing word.
4 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

According to the Emmys' website, Alison is up against (the legendary) Cicely Tyson for How to Get Away with Murder; Laverne Cox for Orange Is the New Black; Shannon Purser for Stranger Things; Alexis Bledel for The Handmaid's Tale, & Ann Dowd for The Leftovers. With Cicely Tyson in the category, (& possibly with Laverne Cox, though the "buzz" seems to have lessened for OITNB) I'm not sure Alison's chances of pulling out a win are that great--though I'm trying to be optimistic. 

I'm not even sure what Matthew's chances are, in either category  he's nominated in, or what Keri's chances are, based on their competition.

The Americans does fairly well in the "guest actor" category.  Its won the last two years in a row but for Margo Martindale.  It might be a conspiracy theory of mine (but it is one I like to think is true) that one of the reasons they moved MM up to supporting actress is to give Alison Wright a fighting chance at an emmy in a roll she should have at bare minimum been nominated for long before now.    Hell her acting for the downfall of Martha episodes was nothing less then breathtaking.  I still don't understand why she was snubbed.  

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/14/2017 at 7:12 PM, Chaos Theory said:

The Americans does fairly well in the "guest actor" category.  Its won the last two years in a row but for Margo Martindale.  It might be a conspiracy theory of mine (but it is one I like to think is true) that one of the reasons they moved MM up to supporting actress is to give Alison Wright a fighting chance at an emmy in a roll she should have at bare minimum been nominated for long before now.    Hell her acting for the downfall of Martha episodes was nothing less then breathtaking.  I still don't understand why she was snubbed.  

As I explained last season (among other reasons) when Alison was snubbed then, it may have been because her name wasn't as well-known as others who she was up against for the few slots in whichever category she was nominated in (& if her role/screentime was greater last season, she was probably put in the Supporting Actress in a Drama category which would've made it harder for her to get in [the guest acting Emmys have specific eligibility rules about stuff like screentime & the number of show episodes an actor can be in each season]--heck, the competition's gotten so great they, for example, moved Allison Janney to the Lead Comedy Actress category this year so she'd have a better shot at a win though before that she'd been in the Supporting Comedy Actress category for the whole run of Mom, & even won at least 1 Emmy in that category). Also, as much as we may like to pooh-pooh it, politics are involved in things like the Emmys & other entertainment industry awards; that might've also worked against Alison last season.

By the way, an acting part is a role, not a roll.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment. Then to fix a spacing issue.
  • Love 1

I wish Allison had been nominated before this.

The Handmaid's Tale is giving both Keri and Allison heavy competition this year, and honestly, I think Handmaid's tale actresses probably deserve the wins.

41 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

I wish Allison had been nominated before this.

The Handmaid's Tale is giving both Keri and Allison heavy competition this year, and honestly, I think Handmaid's tale actresses probably deserve the wins.

As much as I don't wanna agree with you, I think you're right. The Handmaid's Tale seems to be what everybody's interested in/writing about in the entertainment media this season &, again as much as I hate to say it, I think the nominated actresses from that show will probably take the awards on Emmy night. But I'm hoping we might be pleasantly surprised & shocked as well.

Doubtful.  Alison didn't have much to do, and she's against Bledel who KILLED it.  Elizabeth Moss has been outstanding too.  Hell, there isn't a bad female in that entire cast, they were all so very, very outstanding.

• Love 1

Sorry it took awhile to get this posted. I'd put it in my head to go look for the information, then get started on other stuff & forget to look before I stopped reading stuff.

Anyway...

Alison & Matthew LOSE in Guest Acting Emmy Categories

The Emmys for the Outstanding Guest Actors/Actresses in Comedy & Drama were awarded over the weekend in LA, at the annual Creative Arts Emmys ceremony which is traditionally held the week before the major Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony. As you can see by my link, neither Matthew or Alison won for their nominated guest appearances.

Alexis Bledel won in Alison's category--Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series--for her role in The Handmaid's Tale. Dave Chappelle won in Matthew's category--Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series--for his guest host appearance on SNL.

14 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Sorry it took awhile to get this posted. I'd put it in my head to go look for the information, then get started on other stuff & forget to look before I stopped reading stuff.

Anyway...

Alison & Matthew LOSE in Guest Acting Emmy Categories

The Emmys for the Outstanding Guest Actors/Actresses in Comedy & Drama were awarded over the weekend in LA, at the annual Creative Arts Emmys ceremony which is traditionally held the week before the major Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony. As you can see by my link, neither Matthew or Alison won for their nominated guest appearances.

Alexis Bledel won in Alison's category--Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series--for her role in The Handmaid's Tale. Dave Chappelle won in Matthew's category--Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series--for his guest host appearance on SNL.

BOO!!!!!!! 

• Love 1

You guys!!! Phillip and Elizabeth showed up in Colbert's opening number and it was fabulous:

As an avowed The Americans fan, I confess to replaying their blip in the Colbert opening number over and over again and just laughing and laughing and laughing at Elizabeth and Philip going from serious surveillance mode to smiling, singing and clapping that "even treason's better on tv...[clap,clap, clap, clap]", cut to immediate serious mode from them.  Just brilliant!!

Hopefully this link will still work tomorrow, it's a couple of minutes or so into the clip.

3 hours ago, pennben said:

You guys!!! Phillip and Elizabeth showed up in Colbert's opening number and it was fabulous:

Hopefully this link will still work tomorrow, it's a couple of minutes or so into the clip.

The video's gone already. If you have the CBS app though, you should be able to watch the Emmys through that for free right now. But I can't tell you how long you'll be able to do that.

I am sort of surprised that the show hasn't garnered as many awards as Mad Men.  To me, it's just as good, if not better, if you overlook the Paige diversion.  Still, most of the acting is stellar. 

22 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I am sort of surprised that the show hasn't garnered as many awards as Mad Men.  To me, it's just as good, if not better, if you overlook the Paige diversion.  Still, most of the acting is stellar. 

Mad Men was, to me, one of the most wildly overrated shows ever, in terms of writing, but the acting was perhaps even better than The Americans, and the production values are only 2nd to Game of Thrones, and maybe Breaking Bad. Mad Men just looked so fabulous that, combined with the great acting, it was kind of overlooked that watching a bunch of alcoholics pursue their addiction for several years gets a little tedious. The actors on The Americans, however, have had similar handicaps to deal with, in terms of the writers not always being good partners, while not having anything close to the advantage the actors in Mad Men had, in terms of everything the camera captured looking so interesting.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Inquisitionist said:

Who else is in the Emmy running for Best Actress/Drama this year?  I can't imagine Keri Russell not winning it, especially after last night.

I agree that she should win but I don't think she will.  She's like the Susan Lucci of cable shows. 

1 hour ago, Inquisitionist said:

Who else is in the Emmy running for Best Actress/Drama this year?  I can't imagine Keri Russell not winning it, especially after last night.

Elisabeth Moss, Maggie Gyllenhaal, maybe Evan Rachel Wood.  I'd like to see Sandra Oh nominated, but that's probably unlikely.  But Keri Russell deserves to win this year, and I hope she'll get it.

Claire Foy strikes me as the front-runner since they know she won't reprise her lead role as QEII. They may want to give her the Emmy while she's eligible. Which kinda sucks because Keri is in the exact same position playing Elizabeth to the end.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

Forgot about Claire Foy.  Yeah, she's stiff competition.  I still haven't seen The Handmaid's Tale, but I imagine that Elisabeth Moss (last year's winner) is quite good, too.

She's outstanding.

All the women are in that show.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 1

I hope Mathew and Noah win emmy's for this work.  I really do. 

A. V.  Club  Erik Adams

If Matthew Rhys is nominated for an Emmy this year, Philip’s appeal to Stan should be the clip that plays during the ceremony. But Noah Emmerich’s half of that conversation is proof that he too should be on the TV Academy’s radar: He plays the realization of Stan’s greatest nightmare with such a steady hand. Befitting Philip’s faith in The Forum, Rhys is the cast member who winds up externalizing the stress of “START”; for Emmerich and Keri Russell, the finale is more internalized. Stan doesn’t say why he’s letting the Jennings escape, just as we don’t hear him tell Henry the truth about his parents and sister. After all this time of playing the character with the least to hide, Emmerich shows us a man shouldering a gigantic secret, telling only Henry of his encounter in the parking garage, feigning surprise at the composite sketches, and communicating just a smidge of suspicion in that hug with Renee.

Noah really deserves the Emmy, and so does Mathew, but Mathew has some other incredible scenes to also submit.  This scene?  Noah just made it all work, incredible acting.

• Love 2
(edited)

woo! Keri, Matthew, and the show were all just nominated for Best Actress, Best Actor and Best Drama Emmys! 

https://www.refinery29.com/2018/07/204252/emmy-nominations-2018-list

I feel like Keri deserves the recognition, but it's a super tough category to win for her. A lot of really great shows. Matthew may have better luck though in the Actor category, as a couple shows have two nominees and some guys could cancel each other out. Plus The Americans is due for major wins. I hope they get Drama. 

Edit: Also, the Joe and Joel got a writing nomination for START. 

No supporting or guest noms this year. I feel like whatever the Emmy is for the soundtrack, the person or team responsible for placing those songs/creating those montages has been perennially robbed. 

Edited by Plums
adding content
  • Love 4
On 5/24/2018 at 12:39 PM, Inquisitionist said:

Claire Foy, Tatiana Maslany (who beat Keri last year, or the year before that... anyway, Tatiana already has 1), Sandra Oh, Elisabeth Moss & Evan Rachel Wood are against Keri this year.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

Claire Foy, Tatiana Maslany (who beat Keri last year, or the year before that... anyway, Tatiana already has 1), Sandra Oh, Elisabeth Moss & Evan Rachel Wood are against Keri this year.

Maslany won in 2016 and I believe Elizabeth Moss won last year.

(edited)
39 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

Maslany won in 2016 and I believe Elizabeth Moss won last year.

You're right. Maslany's show wasn't eligible last season (I don't think), & Elisabeth Moss (who I mostly enjoyed as Zoey Bartlet, the youngest of the 3 First Daughters in The West Wing) did win last year. But my point, which I think I made anyway, was that Tatiana Maslany (& Elisabeth Moss, to be completely accurate) already has an Emmy for her character/show & there are times (like when Keri, Matthew, & the show are up for Emmys) that I wish it was 1 Emmy win per person, in the same category (except, of course, when the person I like wins) so the person I like, hopefully, has a better chance at winning.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix screwed up punctuation.

Critiques have kind of turned on the Handmaid's Tale this season.

It's not the fault of the actresses, it's more the showrunner's lack of continuity and having characters that do or act one way one moment, and in the next episode, either none of what came previously mattered, or the character is completely different.  It made for some great episodes, but a season that made little sense and was much too much misery all the time.

That, and Moss' win last year, and this being Keri's last season?  Might help her.  I don't know the other nominee's work though.

• Love 2

I'm very glad that Matthew and Keri were once again recognized.  Despite the decline in the quality of the writing, those two just knocked it out of the park with every single episode.

• Love 3
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

Critiques have kind of turned on the Handmaid's Tale this season.

It's not the fault of the actresses, it's more the showrunner's lack of continuity and having characters that do or act one way one moment, and in the next episode, either none of what came previously mattered, or the character is completely different.  It made for some great episodes, but a season that made little sense and was much too much misery all the time.

That, and Moss' win last year, and this being Keri's last season?  Might help her.  I don't know the other nominee's work though.

Claire Foy is Queen Elizabeth II in The Crown, which is on Netflix (I think); Evan Rachel Wood is in the TV adaptation of Westworld, which I think is on Cinemax (My cable package doesn't get Cinemax, & I don't do Netflix... yet); Sandra Oh is in a show called Killing EveIt's a spy type show on BBC America.

My cable package gets BBCA, but I haven't seen it yet. I guess it's sort of supposed to be the replacement for Tatiana Maslany's show, Orphan Black (which I think ended this season). Oh yeah... I almost forgot... with this nomination, Sandra Oh is the first Asian-American actress to be nominated as Lead Actress in a Drama Series (she also was at least nominated for Supporting Actress in a Drama Series when she was in Grey's Anatomy).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To redo spacing & add info.
11 minutes ago, benteen said:

I'm very glad that Matthew and Keri were once again recognized.  Despite the decline in the quality of the writing, those two just knocked it out of the park with every single episode.

Me too.  They both did outstanding work, and I think they've got episodes to submit that show that.  Frankly, especially Elizabeth.

Which episode would you pick if you were Mathew or Keri?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Umbelina said:

Me too.  They both did outstanding work, and I think they've got episodes to submit that show that.  Frankly, especially Elizabeth.

Which episode would you pick if you were Mathew or Keri?

I know Keri had more material, but I’m not sure that means she has more to work with in terms of options, if that makes sense. Both had very strong material imo. But I could be biased. Lol The quantity of Philip wasn’t enough, but so many series favorites include his performances. 

I’d have to think about Keri- but off the top of my head Start for Matthew. Between the garage scene with Stan, the good bye to Henry, deciding Henry should stay, etc there was a lot of amazing material there. But-  I don’t know what Emmy voters look for in an episode exactly.

• Love 2

START definitely for Mathew, good choice.  I think for Emmy's it's just one episode.

For Elizabeth? 

Rififi, The Summit, Jennings Elizabeth, or really any of the first three episodes.  She has a LOT of choices here.

• Love 2

I don’t remember everything about what happened when in S6, but as a starter I think I like The Summit for Keri. IIRC- that includes Philip telling her about spying, Erica’s death/the picture, Elizabeth NOT killing the intern, telling Claudia her doubts, and giving Philip everything but absolution in the end. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I think Rififi might be her best option. 

From wiki with my bolded additions.

Philip tells Elizabeth that he sabotaged the Kimmy kidnapping. FURY SHOCK JEALOUSY Dennis tells Stan that one of Gennadi's pouches contained a chip from Altheon in Chicago, which (because of the D.C. killings related to Altheon) led the FBI to a Russian illegal code-named "Harvest", whom the FBI currently have under surveillance. Dennis convinces Stan to lead an effort to run down leads in D.C. based on the tradecraft used by "Harvest". Henry comes home for Thanksgiving and sees the distance between his parents. Following Paige's idea, Elizabeth meets a congressional intern. PRETTY CHARMING SEXY Philip lays off three of his travel agents. Claudia sends Elizabeth and Marilyn to Chicago to extricate "Harvest", who was also working on Dead Hand, causing Elizabeth to miss Thanksgiving dinner at Stan's. Philip reviews Elizabeth's secret records and "dead drops" a coded message to Oleg, which Oleg retrieves. Elizabeth and Marilyn agree that their chances of success are poor. EXHAUSTED, DEFEATED, DESPERATE, BRAVE Elizabeth calls Henry, SAD, INCAPABLE OF MOTHERING which Philip interprets as a possible "last call". Philip calls Elizabeth and asks her to abort the mission; when she refuses, he offers to go to Chicago to help. RELIEF RESOLVE LOVE

Or from The Summit:

Philip tells a furious Elizabeth that she has been working for a cabal trying to overthrow Gorbachev and that he has been spying on her. FURY, BETRAYAL, CONFUSION Gorbachev arrives in the USA. After Glenn's attempt to kill Erica by overdose failed, Elizabeth kills her by suffocation. HOW MANY WORDS COULD I USE TO DESCRIBE THIS SCENE?  To tape Nesterenko's solo meeting with American negotiators, Elizabeth seduces the congressional intern YOUNG PRETTY SKILLED, FUNNY, SEDUCTIVE and has him unwittingly plant a bug inside a box of documents. Renee gets a job interview at the FBI. Stan takes a picture of Elizabeth to one of Gregory's people, who doesn't recognize her but remembers that the woman smoked constantly. When Elizabeth has the intern bring her the box, he challenges her story and reveals the bug, but Elizabeth allows him to leave. WHAT PLAYED ON HER FACE DURING HER DECISION TO LET HIM LIVE, ELIZABETH IN A NUTSHELL On the tape, Elizabeth hears Nesterenko discuss Gorbachev's vision of a nuclear-free world. AWARENESS SHE'S BEEN USED, THE SHOCK OF THAT Claudia orders Elizabeth to kill Nesterenko, but she does not and demands an explanation. Claudia admits to being part of a Center plot to overthrow Gorbachev. RECOGNITION OF ALL OF THE TERRIBLE WAYS SHE'S BEEN LIED TO, DECISION TO SAVE THE WORLD INSTEAD Returning home, Elizabeth tells Philip to contact Oleg to confirm the overthrow plot and also asks Philip to take a meeting with Father Andrei tomorrow. BACK WITH PHILIP, A TEAM, ALL THAT IMPLIES PLAYING OVER HER FACE

@Erin9

I think you are right.  I do know, a scene of her smoking and haggard will be included with a scene of her pretty and charming.  We were typing at the same time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Americans_(season_6)

I had to use Wiki to remember too.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 1
(edited)

Thinking about The Summit further, I think it’s a really strong little (well big really!) character arc all in one episode. From my limited knowledge, it seems perfect for the Emmys given where Elizabeth started and finished in one episode. 

Edited by Erin9
  • Love 2

I'm pissed they got a writing nod for START.  Although, as a stand alone, if you don't count all that went on before it, or that it was a finale it WAS a good episode, so nevermind.

I've always said I loved the episode, but only as a stand alone.  Just not when it was both a finale and dealing with the previous episodes PERIL!!! set ups for everyone.

It's sad about Noah, he completely sold that garage confrontation, and that was not easy to do.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Erin9 said:

Yep. Those were our guesses. 

Yeah, Keri had a lot to pick from, but The Summit was the most likely (long shot Rififi which was also great for her) but for Philip?  START was his only choice really.