Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Insufferable Chicago broker buys a place of his own. Hey, Danny, STFU forever. Thanks. Signed every viewer within earshot.

Without talking too much about the gated Gold Coast place he bought, there's a large park across the street, so outdoor to your heart's content. Also, there's a popular gym down the block. And in the warm weather, lots and lots of bikers like to do motorcycle wheelies down your block. Enjoy!

Edited by buttersister
Clarifying what kind of bikers ignore the city's ordinance against loud noises.
  • Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5

Danny was so annoying. I chuckled when his friend commented on him finding a girl and girls like bathtubs. My gaydar was softly pinging with him. (Not that there is anything wrong with it). Insufferable was my word too. That being said, he picked the right place. 

• Like 8

Was the Chicago episode a new or retread episode.  Haven't been able to find the place he bought and I usually have a very good track researching the sold homes on these shows.

• Like 2

I thought Chicago Danny was auditioning for Million Dollar Listing Chicago (which doesn't exist AFAIK). He's such a cool hipster! I'm not a huge fan of Josh Flagg but this guy was like a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy of Flagg. 

I did like the townhouse, though. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, cameron said:

Was the Chicago episode a new or retread episode.  Haven't been able to find the place he bought and I usually have a very good track researching the sold homes on these shows.

I believe it was new. But I wouldn't put it past Mr. Broker here to have grabbed that listing before it hit the market.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
18 hours ago, buttersister said:

I believe it was new. But I wouldn't put it past Mr. Broker here to have grabbed that listing before it hit the market.

After much digging; I finally found it.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
(edited)

The Sacramento episode was fun.   The two men had a big budget (up to $1.6), looked at three very different homes, and I think picked the best one of the three.   I wish there would be an after of the house, because I bet they'll do a wonderful job.    

First house was modern, and nice, but I didn't like how close it was to the neighbors. 

Second house, 1980's imitation of mid-century, was the one they picked.   It needed one bathroom gutted, and carpet removed from all of the bathrooms.  ( I really hate carpeted bathrooms, and I've even seen an equally nasty carpeted kitchen.   If I bought a house with carpet near any water, dining room, or baths, I would have to rip it out before move in.).     The primary ensuite was carpeted, full of mirrors, it needed a lot of work.   However, it had the pool they wanted, and was huge.    With a $100k or more put into it, it will be spectacular.    

Third was brand new, tiny back yard, really close to the neighbors, I'm glad they passed on it. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 7
11 minutes ago, BAForever said:

And your thoughts on Danny? If I have to scroll to find an epi I read about, I want to enjoy (or hate watch).

As an ex Chicagoan; was more interested in the location and the fact that he could get a decent size place in the Gold Coast for that price.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, cameron said:

decent size place in the Gold Coast for that price.

That complex is on the west side of Clark St., which is the western boundary of the Gold Coast. So, Gold Coast. Ish.

What's scary is that Redfin says the complex is 26-30 years old and I remember it being built. But not that long ago! 😂😱

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, buttersister said:

That complex is on the west side of Clark St., which is the western boundary of the Gold Coast. So, Gold Coast. Ish.

Is it the complex across from Washington Square park?  I'm blanking on its name.

Chicago, IL. I realize I'm being incredibly judgemental but corporate finance is not the occupation I'd expect a pink haired man wearing blue nail polish to be in. Their budget seems small. I liked the look of #2 but it did seem small for 2 people and a bunch of animals. #3 had location going for it. But no sound proofing with that ceiling that didn't allow walls to go all the way up. I did like #1 the best.

• Like 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Chicago, IL. I realize I'm being incredibly judgemental but corporate finance is not the occupation I'd expect a pink haired man wearing blue nail polish to be in. Their budget seems small. I liked the look of #2 but it did seem small for 2 people and a bunch of animals. #3 had location going for it. But no sound proofing with that ceiling that didn't allow walls to go all the way up. I did like #1 the best.

Thought the same thing.  Wonder what his actual job is?  And did he grow up in a turnip field or something?  Who moves to Chicago and doesn't know it is situated on a big lake.?

Edited by cameron
  • Like 5
  • LOL 3
(edited)

Some of the creative companies (advertising or fashion for example), are very open to employees that have creative hair colors, and dress.    Also, if you have a job where you don't deal with people outside of the company, then you're hair etc. shouldn't matter. 

I thought it was interesting to see the various choices, and agree that #1 was the best.   However, the realtor and couple didn't mention the big factor in choices, CC&Rs for a lot of condo restrict the number and types of animals you can have. 

I lived in one where you could have 2 dogs, or 2 cats, or 1 of each, with size restrictions on the dogs (they restricted the weight of the dog, and breeds also).   

So, fostering cats would be a big no-no in some buildings if you had more than the allowed number of animals.  Also, never buy a property with restrictions unless you see the entire list of requirements, and are in agreement with all of them.   I know people who bought into a condo or townhouse complex, and didn't like some of the rules, and applied for variances, not one every was given a variance.   

I see why they do it, to avoid someone running a breeding operation, or having way too many animals in a condo unit, but the restrictions were never mentioned by the realtor or the couple.   

I thought #1 was right for them, and the concrete walls and floor would be so much quieter.  The condo fees sounded high, but it included a 24/7 doorperson, parking, and some utilities, so I can see that was worth it.   

#2 was too small, it had a great location, but the parking down the street for extra fees, and not covered would be a deal breaker for me.   It was also very cramped, and I thought it needed a lot of work.

#3 was going to be too noisy because of the wooden floors, and I simply didn't like it.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I realize I'm being incredibly judgemental but corporate finance is not the occupation I'd expect a pink haired man wearing blue nail polish to be in.

I work for a fairly straightlaced engineering company and a few of the employees (including a customer service support person who works directly with clients) have multi-colored hair.  The customer support person I mentioned has beautiful purple hair that she compliments with purple workout leggings, a purple workout shirt and purple athletic shoes.  No one is concerned.

Corporate finance could be more "conservative" though, as they don't want to offend potential clients.  My cousin is a financial advisor and he never, EVER comments on political issues or posts political or social issue opinions on social media.

• Like 5

Regarding Chicago corporate finance guy, many companies in creative fields don’t care about having a corporate look. I worked for a production company and the CFO was extremely flamboyant 

Also given their budget for housing, it didn’t appear he was a high level person so he could be a bookkeeper or accounts payable relatively low level. And he seemed to work from home as an office was critical 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, amarante said:

Regarding Chicago corporate finance guy, many companies in creative fields don’t care about having a corporate look. I worked for a production company and the CFO was extremely flamboyant 

Also given their budget for housing, it didn’t appear he was a high level person so he could be a bookkeeper or accounts payable relatively low level. And he seemed to work from home as an office was critical 

He also kept talking about wanting a loft but he didn't like that the walls didn't go all the way up to the ceiling.  Think he was trying to talk the game but really didn't have a clue.  Having partial walls and exposed duct work is very normal for lofts unless someone else has customized them.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, cameron said:

He also kept talking about wanting a loft but he didn't like that the walls didn't go all the way up to the ceiling.  Think he was trying to talk the game but really didn't have a clue.  Having partial walls and exposed duct work is very normal for lofts unless someone else has customized them.

As the cliche goes, the partial walls in the Chicago style lofts seem to be a feature and not a bug.

There would be no way to actually have a wall to the ceiling in the Chicago style lofts because of the typically large duct pipes that run across the ceiling. Also there would be no window because typically they are at the rear. 

I am used to New York style lofts which for the most part don't have exposed large duct pipes - they might have something small but at least in my experience they don't have anything. I lived in a loft conversion in Manhattan for awhile - the one and two bedroom units were wider so the bedrooms had windows. I lived in a loft studio but since the ceilings were 14 high, there was a loft area for the bedroom that was actually pretty comfortable and a normal height person could stand below it and when actually in the loft. 

• Useful 2
7 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Some of the creative companies (advertising or fashion for example), are very open to employees that have creative hair colors, and dress.    

I thought it was interesting to see the various choices, and agree that #1 was the best.   However, the realtor and couple didn't mention the big factor in choices, CC&Rs for a lot of condo restrict the number and types of animals you can have.  I lived in one where you could have 2 dogs, or 2 cats, or 1 of each, with size restrictions on the dogs.    So, fostering cats would be a big no-no in some buildings if you had more than the allowed number of animals.  Also, never buy a property with restrictions unless you see the entire list of requirements, and are in agreement with all of them.   

I see why they do it, to avoid someone running a breeding operation, or having way too many animals in a condo unit, but the restrictions were never mentioned by the realtor or the couple.   

I thought #1 was right for them, and the concrete walls and floor would be so much quieter.  #2 was too small, and #3 was going to be too noisy, and I didn't like it with the wooden floors.  

I lived in a condo where the CCRs allowed 1 dog or 2 cats, and the dog could not be taller than 15" at the shoulder---and they actually measured the dog.  They finally made a change so you could have 2 pets--2 dogs (still under 15 inches), 2 cats, or one of each.  It actually would not be fair to a big dog(s) to live in an area with no room to run, so I get the reason for the rule.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Lady Lucy said:

Pilson, IL?????? No, Househunters, it's the Pilson neighborhood in CHICAGO, IL!! 

They did the same thing when they had house hunters in Des Moines recently. They said they were looking in Beaverdale, IA. I grew up there; it’s just a popular neighborhood in Des Moines. 

• Like 4

As I remember, they once tried to pass off the town of Ankeny as being a neighborhood in Des Moines.  I guess they are assuming that watchers don't know geography. (My aunt lived in Nevada, so I do know the area well--and yes, I do know how to pronounce Nevada correctly).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, amarante said:

As the cliche goes, the partial walls in the Chicago style lofts seem to be a feature and not a bug.

Agree, I lived in one for several years and loved it.  Two-room bath had privacy ceilings and doors, but timber ceilings with duct work above the rest of it. The challenge was that there weren't any windows except the entire south wall (went from chair rail to ceiling), so the open-at-the-top feature let the light go around to other rooms. Giant bedroom was dark, but I fail to understand the desire for a bright bedroom--what are they doing in there?

Pilsen IL? LOL, isn't that near Chinatown IL?

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I watched a true crime show last night and it was set in Placentia CA.  The narrator kept pronouncing it 'placenta'. Anyway, in Los Angeles there are dozens of 'areas' that are not actually cities but everyone refers to them like they are and HH does as well.  West Hills, Sherman Oaks, Eagle Rock, Encino - they are all north of Los Angeles City but not cities in their own right, just areas. But you go south and west of downtown LA and almost everything is its own actual city and not actually LA City.  West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Culver City, Inglewood, Carson, etc, all are actual cities. Even people who were born and raised in LA county don't realize this. I'm from south by the beach and I thought the areas north were actual cities and a friend from San Fernando Valley in the north insisted that the cities in the south weren't really cities but part of LA City and we argued about it one day. Neither of us had any idea about the other's location and its relation to LA City. So it doesn't bother me when HH just picks the name of an area that isn't really a city and goes with it. It helps pinpoint the place the HHs are looking in and that is more helpful as a viewer (or anybody else) than being accurate as to city or not city.

Re Des Moines area: I used to read the Huxley/Ankenny police blotter every month (don't ask why) and it was a fascinating window into small town Iowa. I was surprised to see that they were so close to Des Moines.

I used to think landlords/condos had weight limits on dogs because little dogs would do less damage. But small dogs are much more likely to pee on everything and bark incessantly and bite people so now I don't know why that is. I'd rather live next to a quiet large dog than a little yappy thing that tries to bite me.

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Agree, I lived in one for several years and loved it.  Two-room bath had privacy ceilings and doors, but timber ceilings with duct work above the rest of it. The challenge was that there weren't any windows except the entire south wall (went from chair rail to ceiling), so the open-at-the-top feature let the light go around to other rooms. Giant bedroom was dark, but I fail to understand the desire for a bright bedroom--what are they doing in there?

Pilsen IL? LOL, isn't that near Chinatown IL?

I can easily fall asleep with the lights on (and often do) so I don't understand the need for complete darkness but some people do and get blackout shades.

However, at least in cities where I have lived - New York and I believe Los Angeles, you can't have a legal bedroom without a window and a closet. That impacts the value of an apartment or home in terms of advertising the number of rooms/bedrooms.

Again to some extent it is a matter of personal preference and life style. I think it would be difficult to share a home if the bedroom didn't have walls and a door that reached the ceiling that at least theoretically blocked out some amount of sound.

I live in a condo with relatively large square footage which was built as a one bedroom. However, there is an area of the living that is an L shaped and is open wide to the living room but has a door from the hallway as well as a closet. It can easily be converted into a decent sized bedroom by putting up a wall that separates it from the living room and then you would exit/enter from the already existing door to the interior hall. It was built this way deliberately because it would have required two underground parking spaces to be a two bedroom.

Many people put up the wall and I have been told that it increases the value of the condo unit even though it is the exact size of the original one with just a wall. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤫

When I remodeled, I didn't put up a wall because I prefer the wide wall of windows and larger "feel" without a wall and I didn't particularly care about increasing potential value as I remodeled for my needs. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I watched a true crime show last night and it was set in Placentia CA.  The narrator kept pronouncing it 'placenta'. Anyway, in Los Angeles there are dozens of 'areas' that are not actually cities but everyone refers to them like they are and HH does as well.  West Hills, Sherman Oaks, Eagle Rock, Encino - they are all north of Los Angeles City but not cities in their own right, just areas. But you go south and west of downtown LA and almost everything is its own actual city and not actually LA City.  West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Culver City, Inglewood, Carson, etc, all are actual cities. Even people who were born and raised in LA county don't realize this. I'm from south by the beach and I thought the areas north were actual cities and a friend from San Fernando Valley in the north insisted that the cities in the south weren't really cities but part of LA City and we argued about it one day. Neither of us had any idea about the other's location and its relation to LA City. So it doesn't bother me when HH just picks the name of an area that isn't really a city and goes with it. It helps pinpoint the place the HHs are looking in and that is more helpful as a viewer (or anybody else) than being accurate as to city or not city.

I

The neighborhoods in Los Angeles County are part of the City because of water rights. The "separate" cities within Los Angeles County historically had their own sources of water - Burbank, Culver City, Beverly Hills, Burbank and West Hollywood. Those are typically thought to be part of the "city" versus Calabasas which is also technically in Los Angeles County but isn't generally mistakenly thought of as part of the city. 

West Hollywood wasn't a city until 1984 when it voted to become a city - it was just an unincorporated area of Los Angeles until then. It partially became a city because it felt its interests were more that of a separate city than the mostly suburban/rural other unincorporated parts of the county. West Hollywood has a contract with the LA County Sheriff's department versus Beverly Hills which has its own police force. 

• Useful 1
7 minutes ago, amarante said:

The neighborhoods in Los Angeles County are part of the City because of water rights. The "separate" cities within Los Angeles County historically had their own sources of water - Burbank, Culver City, Beverly Hills, Burbank and West Hollywood. Those are typically thought to be part of the "city" versus Calabasas which is also technically in Los Angeles County but isn't generally mistakenly thought of as part of the city. 

West Hollywood wasn't a city until 1984 when it voted to become a city - it was just an unincorporated area of Los Angeles until then. It partially became a city because it felt its interests were more that of a separate city than the mostly suburban/rural other unincorporated parts of the county. West Hollywood has a contract with the LA County Sheriff's department versus Beverly Hills which has its own police force. 

Yeah, some LA county cities have contracts with LA City for police and fire and schools because it's less expensive than having their own forces/school districts. Others don't. I lived in the beach cities where we had our own everything - police, fire, school districts. I remember when West Hollywood became a city. One of the first things they did was put a huge bowl of condoms on the reception desk. They were making a statement and contributing to the health of the community.  Good for them!

Anyway, I had a job for thirty years that took me to every nook and cranny of LA County and then some but only toward the end did I go into to the San Fernando Valley area so it was surprising to me that they weren't actual cities like all the others in LA county. My friend/work partner could not believe that all the other names in LA County were actually separate cities, it just never occurred to him that it wasn't like in the SF Valley. He tried to tell me that my city wasn't really a city and I said that the mayor would be very sorry to hear that. lol  He was shocked. He was from Encino and I was shocked that it was actually Los Angeles City and not a city of its own.  Live and learn.

So if we can be confused after a lifetime I imagine viewers would have no idea. So I give the Pilson, IL chyron a pass.

As an aside, thank you to those who earlier mentioned that the beach house episodes were reworked from a different show. They were so incredibly boring because the realtors were barely present and the HHs didn't seem to be able to carry a thirty minute show just talking among themselves. Now that I know it's an actual different show I just skip beach and waterfront episodes entirely. It has saved me a lot of boring episodes to slog through hoping they get better. They don't get better.

• Like 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, amarante said:

I can easily fall asleep with the lights on (and often do) so I don't understand the need for complete darkness but some people do and get blackout shades.

However, at least in cities where I have lived - New York and I believe Los Angeles, you can't have a legal bedroom without a window and a closet. That impacts the value of an apartment or home in terms of advertising the number of rooms/bedrooms.

Again to some extent it is a matter of personal preference and life style. I think it would be difficult to share a home if the bedroom didn't have walls and a door that reached the ceiling that at least theoretically blocked out some amount of sound.

I live in a condo with relatively large square footage which was built as a one bedroom. However, there is an area of the living that is an L shaped and is open wide to the living room but has a door from the hallway as well as a closet. It can easily be converted into a decent sized bedroom by putting up a wall that separates it from the living room and then you would exit/enter from the already existing door to the interior hall. It was built this way deliberately because it would have required two underground parking spaces to be a two bedroom.

Many people put up the wall and I have been told that it increases the value of the condo unit even though it is the exact size of the original one with just a wall. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤫

When I remodeled, I didn't put up a wall because I prefer the wide wall of windows and larger "feel" without a wall and I didn't particularly care about increasing potential value as I remodeled for my needs. 

I never understood the rule where a bedroom had to have a closet. I’ve lived in plenty of old house where there was no closet ad that was normal. Now it has to have a built in? Makes no sense. A window, good grief, definitely. Fire hazard otherwise. 

Edited by chediavolo
  • Like 5

I wondered about the closet requirement, did a little googling, and it seems that most states have no legal requirement that a bedroom have a closet. (Alabama does.) If there is a requirement, it's down to local codes within counties and cities. Where I live, in a regulation-crazy suburban county of over a million people, there's no closet requirement. I had no idea.

At the same time, in newer houses, bedrooms are expected to have closets, and that prevents potential arguments related to appraisals as to whether rooms are bedrooms or dens/offices. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, Chicken Fingers said:

At the same time, in newer houses, bedrooms are expected to have closets, and that prevents potential arguments related to appraisals as to whether rooms are bedrooms or dens/offices. 

And in areas with septics, a room with a closet is a bedroom and could up the requirement for the size of the septic tank.  It was a key point when I built my house.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

just watched the one with the single mom buying a house for her family, including her dad and several sons in houston

i was sure she was going to pick the beautiful house with the pool and basketball court, that needed no remodeling, but, no

they seemed overly fussy to me about some things, the one son, who is either finishing high school or starting college, was against one house because he'd have to share a bathroom with a brother..  you're only going to be there a few years buddy..  the dad's walk-in-closet was just too small.....

hope they're happy

• Like 4
(edited)

Might have been an old show, but I saw one recently where the dad was concerned that his 3 daughters would have to share the same bathroom.  GASP!!!!!!!   🙄🙄🙄.  I just have to 🙄 and 😂 at this, having grown up in a house with 10 people sharing  one bathroom (with a 1/4 bath in lower level).  Showers had to be taken at night, and we had an assigned schedule for school days.  Often did makeup and hair in our bedrooms.

I think they could work it out.  😁

Edited by Thumper
  • Like 6
  • Applause 5
On 6/17/2023 at 7:52 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I thought #1 was right for them, and the concrete walls and floor would be so much quieter. 

The realtor said, "There's three feet of cement in between each floor."  To which I responded, "Sold!" 

BTW, her use of "cement" is inaccurate, and I kind of hate that I know cement and concrete aren't the same because it always bugs me when people mix them up and who cares, people know what they're talking about.

Anyway I don't think the walls are made of concrete, which somewhat reduces my enthusiasm.  It looks like those windows near the ceiling open to a hallway or atrium and I'm thinking about noise echoing.

Speaking of noise, I noticed on the door to the deck in #3 (Wicker Park) there was a sign asking people to please respect their neighbors and keep music at a "reasonable level" and to "come and go quietly."  Signs like that are always there for reasons, and there's something about human nature that makes them ineffective.

Also notable in this episode is that I really liked the exterior of all three places.  I think that's a first for me.

On 6/17/2023 at 7:13 PM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

So if we can be confused after a lifetime I imagine viewers would have no idea. So I give the Pilson, IL chyron a pass.

But no pass for spelling it wrong.  It's Pilsen.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

The realtor said, "There's three feet of cement in between each floor."  To which I responded, "Sold!" 

BTW, her use of "cement" is inaccurate, and I kind of hate that I know cement and concrete aren't the same because it always bugs me when people mix them up and who cares, people know what they're talking about.

Anyway I don't think the walls are made of concrete, which somewhat reduces my enthusiasm.  It looks like those windows near the ceiling open to a hallway or atrium and I'm thinking about noise echoing.

Speaking of noise, I noticed on the door to the deck in #3 (Wicker Park) there was a sign asking people to please respect their neighbors and keep music at a "reasonable level" and to "come and go quietly."  Signs like that are always there for reasons, and there's something about human nature that makes them ineffective.

Also notable in this episode is that I really liked the exterior of all three places.  I think that's a first for me.

But no pass for spelling it wrong.  It's Pilsen.

THANK-YOU! It drives me crazy when people use cement instead of concrete. Cement is like sand, water and gravel; it is an ingredient of concrete. <Stepping off soapbox now.> 

Edited by SpecialKay
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3
7 minutes ago, SpecialKay said:

THANK-YOU! It drives me crazy when people use cement instead of concrete. Cement is like sand, water and gravel; it is an ingratiate of concrete. <Stepping off soapbox now.> 

Ingratiate?  Maybe ingredient?  (Those on glass soapboxes...  😀)

I blame the Beverly Hillbillies and their "cement pond."  But I get it.  CEE-ment pond is much funnier than concrete pond.

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, SpecialKay said:

THANK-YOU! It drives me crazy when people use cement instead of concrete. Cement is like sand, water and gravel; it is an ingredient of concrete. <Stepping off soapbox now.>

Ah, my people.  This is one of my peeves, too.

• LOL 1

Rerun of the couple moving from Oregon to NJ. She was a little wacky (gimme the creaky floors and ghosts, er, I want charm) but he was a doll. Funny, patient, clever, creative and while he didn't agree with her love for creaky floors because of his CAREER, he knew #3 was their house when he walked in and he made the best of it. Without insulting her. Without whining. Michigan boy. (Possibly from money because grandpa's lawn was so big it took all weekend to mow it, but cheap, because he didn't hire a service;-)

• Like 3
4 hours ago, buttersister said:

Rerun of the couple moving from Oregon to NJ. She was a little wacky (gimme the creaky floors and ghosts, er, I want charm) but he was a doll. Funny, patient, clever, creative and while he didn't agree with her love for creaky floors because of his CAREER, he knew #3 was their house when he walked in and he made the best of it. Without insulting her. Without whining. Michigan boy. (Possibly from money because grandpa's lawn was so big it took all weekend to mow it, but cheap, because he didn't hire a service;-)

I thought they were a great pair!   They seemed to “get” one another.  Also, I agree that as the episode went on, her search for ghosts, seemed to morph into a search for charm.  Finally, I have a beautiful black cat, but theirs were stunning!

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Thumper said:

Might have been an old show, but I saw one recently where the dad was concerned that his 3 daughters would have to share the same bathroom.  GASP!!!!!!!   🙄🙄🙄.  I just have to 🙄 and 😂 at this, having grown up in a house with 10 people sharing  one bathroom (with a 1/4 bath in lower level).  Showers had to be taken at night, and we had an assigned schedule for school days.  Often did makeup and hair in our bedrooms.

I think they could work it out.  😁

People are so #%^*ing spoiled these days.  Especially the entitled younger singles & couples who want everything perfect right away. I had to struggle & save while working hard, didn’t have help & still don’t have a dream house after decades of “fixing up” ( renovations ? ) . I really hate watch this show. 

• Like 12

Why do some people want to live in the same style of house they grew up in?  As in, I grew up in a ranch so that's what I want to live in now.  I mean, I can see liking a particular style, but so often a house hunter is adamant that they want the same kind of house they lived in as a child.  I don't get it.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
6 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

Why do some people want to live in the same style of house they grew up in?  As in, I grew up in a ranch so that's what I want to live in now.  I mean, I can see liking a particular style, but so often a house hunter is adamant that they want the same kind of house they lived in as a child.  I don't get it.

Me neither. I think it's in the script. I grew up in a 2-story built around 1890. The original house had no indoor plumbing. A 2-story addition in the back had the only bathroom on the second floor (claw foot tub, no shower) with the kitchen underneath. I envied my friends who lived in anything built after 1950.

• Like 8

Atlanta, GA.  How did they get pre-approved for $750k after traveling around the country in a van for 2 years? I missed what they do for work. Her: I want a pot filler. Also her: What is this,  is this a pot filler?

Grandma's house was sad. I understand the emotional desire to fix it up but that was way too much work. Of course that's the one the pick. I liked #1.

• Like 9
5 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Atlanta, GA.  How did they get pre-approved for $750k after traveling around the country in a van for 2 years? I missed what they do for work.

😃

354459383_819404506422109_3122182772721242275_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOL 19

engaged couple looking for first house..  she didn't want to spend a lot on the house, preferred lots of flowers for the wedding, he wanted mid-century modern and seemed pretty selfish..

she spilled her coffee all over his jacket because she didn't have the lid tight on her cup since she was too focused on doing her lip gloss?

he found one of the houses "unfulfilled"? huh?

the 3rd house didn't have a big enough yard for their tiny dog? ok

it also had a framed cutout-structure for the refrigerator that would only fit an apartment size fridge.....here's an idea, remodel that structure or eliminate it 

they settled on the small, less expensive house (hope those 1 day flowers were worth it)

they seemed fake to me

• Like 5

NJ to Orlando: She was practical, he wanted a big house with a pool, on the water and room for his pool table.  Should have had a drinking game for every time he said "pool table." The realtor showed them a house $100K OVER their budget, because the seller was motivated to sell.

She was hugely pregnant (more about that) with the second child and wanted the primary bedroom to be on same floor as the children.  I agree with her.  She allowed him to put the pool table in the dining room of the house they chose.  Really? I guess people have their priorities.

Pet peeve of mine - as I mentioned she was pregnant, and why did she have to keep holding her belly?  In every shot. I know I didn't walk around with my hands on my "bump" when I was pregnant, but then I was also pregnant in the days before women squeezed themselves into skin-tight clothes when pregnant.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, debbie311 said:

NJ to Orlando: She was practical, he wanted a big house with a pool, on the water and room for his pool table.  Should have had a drinking game for every time he said "pool table." The realtor showed them a house $100K OVER their budget, because the seller was motivated to sell.

She was hugely pregnant (more about that) with the second child and wanted the primary bedroom to be on same floor as the children.  I agree with her.  She allowed him to put the pool table in the dining room of the house they chose.  Really? I guess people have their priorities.

Pet peeve of mine - as I mentioned she was pregnant, and why did she have to keep holding her belly?  In every shot. I know I didn't walk around with my hands on my "bump" when I was pregnant, but then I was also pregnant in the days before women squeezed themselves into skin-tight clothes when pregnant.

LOL.  Regarding the pregnant woman,  I just noticed this in photos in my real life, and commented the same.  I guess it’s a thing now.  

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, debbie311 said:

They look like stuffed sausages in those kind of dresses.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 2

Atlanta couple:  I don't know why this was even an episode because it was so obvious they were going to choose grandma's house and live in the van until renovations were done.  No suspense whatsoever.  

• Like 10