Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, laredhead said:

Another episode that my DVR recorded involved a man searching for a house in Clovis, NM, and his budget was below $200,000.  None of the houses he looked at were attractive, IMO.  He did have a good rapport with his realtor, and was concerned that the house be suitable for his elderly mother who would be visiting for long periods of time.  He finally settled on a bungalow style house, and although he kept talking about wanting a house where he could showcase his collection of things he had acquired from his world travels during his job with the Air Force, the reveal didn't show anything like that.  He talked about having an off site storage unit for his off season clothes, and he also owned another house in Florida.  It was sort of an odd story.

I used to live in New Mexico, if you want something in his price bracket, there isn't a ton of selection.    The houses aren't huge either.    There are some newer cookie cutter homes, but I think they're over the house hunter's budget.      

• Useful 1

Ok, rerun but it’s not as if I’d forgotten that Vahale lives for bargains. How could anyone, he said so every five minutes as he and fiancé had spent a year and three agents losing homes because of his lowball offers. In Bergen County NJ. They’re “100% Armenian” and her father’s foot is on Vahale’s neck to get his girl a HOUSE before they can get married. The drama! Best line was Anoush’s, which sounded a bit like the end of The Amazing Race— one year, three real estate agents, how long am I supposed to wait?! LOL. 

So they go for the fell-out-of-escrow fixer with projects that she didn’t want, that the agent kept saying was the best for them, that had the dreaded slanted ceilings in Paramus near million dollar homes. It needed a lot of work—wrecked hardwood—which she implied he did (alone?), but I guess it was mostly cosmetic, although that kitchen was a gut job. He got it for 20-30K less than asking, but I think the sellers wanted to move on. I know I did.

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

Twin sisters looking for a house for one of them near Detroit. 

So. Much. Vocal. Fry. 

The woman ended up going over budget for a fixed-up house in her desired area. 

One thing that stood out to me: the twins mentioned their mother (the house hunter was currently "living with Mom and Dad)" but she doesn't appear at the at-home scene, and only the father and the dog appeared at the new house. I didn't realize how much I expect to see both parents if they're mentioned. Props to Mom for saying "No."

• Like 3

Atlanta, GA. Wife keeps complaining about dark rooms. Does she realize the sun moves during the day? What is dark in the morning could be quite bright in the afternoon. And there's this great invention called a light bulb.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

The husband in the Birmingham couple on last night's episode was showing some common sense with his remarks about older houses and replacing big ticket items in them.  Loved it when he saw the old HVAC system in one house, and commented that the sellers had painted it black which was like putting lipstick on a pig.  He was in the HVAC business and knew it was going to be at least $10,000 to replace that system which was old.  Their reason for wanting to get out of the house they were selling was because it was small (1,300 sf), and the basement had a history of flooding - ugh!  I wondered how easy it had been for them to sell a house with a history of basement water problems. They bought the house with the old HVAC system, and were planning to expand the primary bedroom, so they must have had some $$ in reserve to take care of those things. 

• Like 2
(edited)

Royal Oak, Michigan: she choose the best option out of the three presented but appalled that she choose to wallpaper over the cove in her coved ceiling. 

Plus, that kitchen was never going to be any bigger. I hope she's within walking distance of downtown RO. Otherwise, at her price point ($300k) she would've had far more updated options in adjacent Ferndale, Berkley or Clawson. 

Birmingham, Alabama:  if Bluff Park is a flood zone, why was she so interested in finding another home there? They seemed pleased to see the sump pump, but that told me it was installed because there was a previous issue.  Maybe that's why the HVAC system was painted black, to hide the rust.

The ever persistent storyline of the man wanting oodles of land and no neighbors is tired and I wish they'd just stop trying to force conflict in every episode. 

Edited by snarts
  • Like 5
4 minutes ago, snarts said:

The ever persistent storyline of the man wanting oodles of land and no neighbors is tired and I wish they'd just stop trying to force conflict in every episode. 

If you are talking about that episode the other night, that guy was odd.  He wanted a huge back yard, he'd have to fence it in if he has a dog, he has to landscape it to make it look like anything cared for, he has to mow it, it's not like he had kids so no play equipment or ball playing, etc...why did he need so much land? 

Once again, I am shocked at how many houses are three bedrooms, one bath and I do not know why that gets me every time but it does. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Some places I've look at moving to (before I retired) one bathroom homes were standard.   That's even if it's a 2 story, with a basement.   

I lived in a 3 bedroom, 1 bath home until I was 16 including one that was a new build.  It is only in the last 40-50 years that more than one bathroom became standard for new homes.  Older homes with more than one bathroom often got that way due to major renovations.

I currently live in a 80+ year old 3 bedroom 1.5 bath home.  The half bath was added by a previous owner.

• Like 7
On 6/9/2024 at 7:32 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

New episode, Nail Salons and Relatives in South Carolina.  A lovely young woman with her own nail salon, who will buy a home for her family of eight to live in. (House hunter/buyer, parents. brother, sister and brother-in-law, two nieces. Near Greenville. 

From the show site: A young Chinese immigrant looks to buy a home big enough for her family of eight and her nail salon business in South Carolina. She's searching for a new build that has good feng shui, but finding a place that has everything she wants may be a challenge.

The  first home $479,900,  is the biggest, a new build, 5 bed 4/5 bath,  and nice, but I never heard of a HOA that allows you to run a nail salon out of your home, and the realtor claims you can.  $700 HOA per year.  Didn't catch the price. 

Second house- one year old, and big, with amenities and $876 HOA per year.   Another house realtor claims you can put a salon in and run it from your home. 4 bed 2.5 bath. $610,000. 

Third house-$398,000 no HOA, Cheapest house,  17 miles from town. 4 bed 2.5 bath.  fully renovated.   2900 sq ft, lovely huge kitchen, living room, huge pantry, first floor bedroom, with 2 walk-in closets with bath. upstairs are 3 bedrooms with another full bath. Could be five bedroom with a closet added.  Space on the back near the laundry room with a bonus room, that could be the nail salon with a half bath. 

She bought #1.   I'm wondering if it's really legal to have a home salon? 

(I've live in or near a slew of HOA communities, and home business involving road traffic is a big no-no.   I was shocked at the realtor saying the first two HOAs were fine with home businesses like a salon that's going to have a lot of traffic, and the exhaust fans spread horrible odors through the area.    I'm wondering if they weren't HOA communities at all?  )

My HOA will not allow a home business, and neither did the one where I lived before.  They were very strict about it, too.

• Like 1
(edited)

I suspect it was just a storyline, and either the subdivision wasn't an HOA, or the house hunter wasn't going to open a salon there.    Either way she's going to have to get a business license, and everything else she'll need for a nail salon.   There also didn't seem to have enough parking for a salon, so I suspect it was all a storyline.   

I suspect the story about needed the extra room and bathroom for the salon was just a story, and not real.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I suspect it was just a storyline, and either the subdivision wasn't an HOA, or the house hunter wasn't going to open a salon there.    Either way she's going to have to get a business license, and everything else she'll need for a nail salon.   There also didn't seem to have enough parking for a salon, so I suspect it was all a storyline.   

I agree about storyline, but I thought the real estate agent said it would be okay to have a business there. If she's the only person doing nails, how many clients can she have at one time? I'd say 2, so parking shouldn't be a problem. But what about all the family living with her? Surely many of them have cars. Doesn't matter. They can fabricate any story line that suits the plot of the day.

• Like 1

Never understand how they always focus on the realtors finding the buyers prospective homes to see.  We have moved 16 times and I always tell the realtor what homes I have picked out to see vs what they want to show me.

• Love 1

Our last move we looked for over 3 years. We stayed with the same real estate agent. He knew what we wanted. I'd send him lisitngs we wanted to see but over the years he sent us dozens more listings, some we weren't interested in, some we would do a drive-by, some we wanted to see. He had access to databases we didn't, and I did appreciate his sending new listings. I'm sure he spent more time and gas than he made on the final commission he got when we bought. That included walking away from a house we put an offer on, was accepted, and we walked away from after the inspection. The process started all over until we found the house we are in now. 

• Like 3
(edited)
42 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Our last move we looked for over 3 years. We stayed with the same real estate agent. He knew what we wanted. I'd send him lisitngs we wanted to see but over the years he sent us dozens more listings, some we weren't interested in, some we would do a drive-by, some we wanted to see. He had access to databases we didn't, and I did appreciate his sending new listings. I'm sure he spent more time and gas than he made on the final commission he got when we bought. That included walking away from a house we put an offer on, was accepted, and we walked away from after the inspection. The process started all over until we found the house we are in now. 

I use to have whatever agent we were using give us the official mls book and then later on give me access to "hot sheet " or "tour Tuesday" when all the new listings hit the mls site and the realtors toured the homes that just hit the market.

Edited by cameron
  • Like 2
(edited)

San Diego: Watched the female rugby couple last night and man, the blond was delulu about housing prices in San Diego! She wanted to be in SD and nearer downtown, which, why would anyone want to be nearer to that, it's not like it's an amazing city downtown area, it's a small area and SD is all spread out with downtown being the least interesting part of it IMO. 

Then they looked at three depressing apartments because they didn't want to go over $300K-ish, good luck with that in SoCal! Some of these lookers are just so out of touch that they have to be plants, right? I mean, the blond thought they could start a family with kids, plural, and all share one bathroom happily. Yeah, no.

They should have gone farther east TBH, they could have gotten so much better than what we saw. 

Edited by surfgirl
  • Like 2

Quoting from 'Snarts' who posted the following on the HH International thread - Seattle,WA:  Nice couple moving back after 3 years in the heat of the Phoenix desert. Want to be near friends waterfront on the Puget Sound. He's a trial attorney, she's a SAHM to a young daughter. $2M budget

#1 skinny new build on the water $1.8M only 2 beds, Small living space, nice sized bedrooms but they'd prefer 3.

#2 condo, across the street from water. Big. Forgot the price.

#3 single story on the water $2.2M. 3 tiny bedrooms, no closets. Huge living space and deck. (it was an old fishing shack)

They chose #3. Talk of a daily sea lion visit and possible orca sightings. Were it not for recently reading of the eminent threat of a tsunami in that area, I would be incredibly envious. 

The house they chose #3, certainly did have the best deck & outdoor space, but I would want some more usable space indoors.  The bedrooms were minuscule, especially the one that they planned for their daughter to have.  It was more like a walk in closet size.  I probably would prefer the climate of the Pacific NW to that of Phoenix as well, but wow the prices are high for very little space.  Maybe elsewhere in the state the prices are better. 

• Like 4
33 minutes ago, laredhead said:

I probably would prefer the climate of the Pacific NW to that of Phoenix as well, but wow the prices are high for very little space.  Maybe elsewhere in the state the prices are better. 

The HH shows last night featured being on the water. Waterfront property is almost always more expensive than inland, but if you want to be waterfront, you pay the price. I know, as I live in a waterfront property.

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, laredhead said:

Quoting from 'Snarts' who posted the following on the HH International thread - Seattle,WA:  Nice couple moving back after 3 years in the heat of the Phoenix desert. Want to be near friends waterfront on the Puget Sound. He's a trial attorney, she's a SAHM to a young daughter. $2M budget

#1 skinny new build on the water $1.8M only 2 beds, Small living space, nice sized bedrooms but they'd prefer 3.

#3 single story on the water $2.2M. 3 tiny bedrooms, no closets. Huge living space and deck. (it was an old fishing shack)

They chose #3. Talk of a daily sea lion visit and possible orca sightings. Were it not for recently reading of the eminent threat of a tsunami in that area, I would be incredibly envious. 

The house they chose #3, certainly did have the best deck & outdoor space, but I would want some more usable space indoors.  The bedrooms were minuscule, especially the one that they planned for their daughter to have.  It was more like a walk in closet size.  I probably would prefer the climate of the Pacific NW to that of Phoenix as well, but wow the prices are high for very little space.  Maybe elsewhere in the state the prices are better. 

I thought the view from house #3 was outstanding and the deck was also really great. However, even the primary bedroom was tiny and there were NO closets and no place to position wardrobes or clothes racks or anything other than a chest of drawers maybe.  There wasn't even other space that could be converted for storage.  I wouldn't have chosen it, especially with a child.  There is nowhere for her to play except on the beach, where she will need direct supervision for the forseeable future.  Her toys are going to be all over the living room which won't look nearly so big with her stuff in every corner.

• Like 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, laredhead said:

I was ticked at them picking #3.   Even the wife said that the daughter's bedroom was a twin size bunk bed, no closet, right on the street side.    Where are the parents going to stay when they visit?   Maybe they'll stay in the bunk beds in the daughter's room.    I didn't like the hunters talking about how exciting to have sea lions visit.   If they come on the beach, it's not going to be safe for the people or the sea lions.   I had to laugh when they saw the sea lion, and then the orca, and the camera cut away very quickly.   I bet I know what happened next.   If they cared about the visiting parents, and their daughter, they would have bought the second one.  

The way the kitchen looked, with only upper open shelves, I wonder if it was purchased as a short term rental, and the family lives elsewhere?   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
55 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I was ticked at them picking #3.   Even the wife said that the daughter's bedroom was a twin size bunk bed, no closet, right on the street side.    Where are the parents going to stay when they visit?   Maybe they'll stay in the bunk beds in the daughter's room.    I didn't like the hunters talking about how exciting to have sea lions visit.   If they come on the beach, it's not going to be safe for the people or the sea lions.   I had to laugh when they saw the sea lion, and then the orca, and the camera cut away very quickly.   I bet I know what happened next.   If they cared about the visiting parents, and their daughter, they would have bought the second one.  

The way the kitchen looked, with only upper open shelves, I wonder if it was purchased as a short term rental, and the family lives elsewhere?   

She doesn't cook, he does.  She was the one who picked Arizona; didn't she have a clue to how hot it gets there in summer.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, cameron said:

She doesn't cook, he does.  She was the one who picked Arizona; didn't she have a clue to how hot it gets there in summer.

Then they are both idiots because who doesn't know how hot AZ gets in the summer?!?

This Seattle couple annoyed the hell out of me. Whining about the condo across the street from the water not being ON the water. I'm pretty sure that's considered as on the water as you can be given it's just a two lane road in front and then, uh, water. Plus the mom kept opining about how she wanted her kid to be able to go on the beach alone and collect shells and such. AYFKM? When we saw the kid and how young she is, what parent would let their child of that age cavort on the beach alone? Really? Also, not for nothing but the water up there is hella cold pretty much all the time so if her little darling ever fell in, she would not last long.  This show, and the San Diego show referenced above, bugged the shit out of me because I'm sure there were other options for these hunters. Look at the islands, or just outside of the city north or south. HHs needs to do better.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, surfgirl said:

Then they are both idiots because who doesn't know how hot AZ gets in the summer?!?

This Seattle couple annoyed the hell out of me. Whining about the condo across the street from the water not being ON the water. I'm pretty sure that's considered as on the water as you can be given it's just a two lane road in front and then, uh, water. Plus the mom kept opining about how she wanted her kid to be able to go on the beach alone and collect shells and such. AYFKM? When we saw the kid and how young she is, what parent would let their child of that age cavort on the beach alone? Really? Also, not for nothing but the water up there is hella cold pretty much all the time so if her little darling ever fell in, she would not last long.  This show, and the San Diego show referenced above, bugged the shit out of me because I'm sure there were other options for these hunters. Look at the islands, or just outside of the city north or south. HHs needs to do better.

I thought the mom had to be dreaming, thinking her kid was going to be frolicking on the beach day and night.  There was also virtually no yard whatsoever other than the deck. The houses on either side were right next to them.  There is nowhere for a swingset or for any sort of expansion.  The way the houses were spaced, the lot must be the size of a postage stamp.  

They said the house was originally built as a fisherman's shack and, even having improved it, it simply wasn't practical as a full time home.  Great for a getaway or a long weekend, but otherwise inadequate.

• Like 3

That's why I wondered if it really was their home, or if they're going to be doing short term rentals?    

I have a former friend who asked me if Phoenix is really hot!    I explained that it was really hot, and she should consult the weather apps for how hot Phoenix is.  

• Like 5
On 6/25/2024 at 4:14 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

That's why I wondered if it really was their home, or if they're going to be doing short term rentals?    

I have a former friend who asked me if Phoenix is really hot!    I explained that it was really hot, and she should consult the weather apps for how hot Phoenix is.  

I've lived in Phoenix for 34 years and I can tell you first-hand that between May-October it is really, really HOT!!  As long as the power stays on and I can comfortably stay indoors I'm fine.  If the power fails, I have alternative means of keeping cool for the short time it always takes the local electric company to restore power.  If I have to go outside, it's usually before 8 AM.  I appreciate the grocery delivery that's available to me since COVID.  

• Like 5
8 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I've lived in Phoenix for 34 years and I can tell you first-hand that between May-October it is really, really HOT!!  As long as the power stays on and I can comfortably stay indoors I'm fine.  If the power fails, I have alternative means of keeping cool for the short time it always takes the local electric company to restore power.  If I have to go outside, it's usually before 8 AM.  I appreciate the grocery delivery that's available to me since COVID.  

But it's a dry heat, lol.  Here is Baltimore the humidity is a beast.  The few times I have been to Phoenix I have loved every cactus, barren mountain I had seen, Taliesin West, the botanical gardens, Sedona, etc...it is all so beautiful, I endured the heat, it was totally worth it.

• Like 1

Fort Worth. Looking at a townhouse, the HH complained there was no view. The exasperated realtor said in a talking head to the effect of we're in Dallas-Fort Worth.  We have no mountains. If she wants a view, she can move to California.  Realtor feels this couple is the most difficult she's had in 15 years. At the end the couple felt bad and said they were friends now. Sorry, it was an old ep.

• Like 1

Parker Arizona couple in search of river front.  His welding job must really pay big bucks for them to go over $2,000,000 for a home on what I call laughable river front.  You could walk across that body of water.  Looked like more of a creek to me.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
On 6/27/2024 at 11:48 PM, kirklandia said:

Oceanfront?  Ocean view?   It is over 100 miles from Seattle to the ocean. Just sayin'.

Maybe they meant Lake Washington or Puget Sound?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cameron said:

Parker Arizona couple in search of river front.  His welding job must really pay big bucks for them to go over $2,000,000 for a home on what I call laughable river front.  You could walk across that body of water.  Looked like more of a creek to me.

For $2 million I would want to live where there is some shade, birds chirping, no noisy wave runners or speed boats, and parties daily.  This place looked like a weekend vacation spot for rich people, and not a place where there are residents year round.  Is someone on this forum knowledgeable about Parker, AZ?  Maybe the husband owns a welding business, and he said his wife is in 'finance', so that could be anything, but obviously one or both make a lot of $$.  They said they sold their Huntington Beach, CA house and I imagine that brought in a lot of money.  Anyway, another place to cross off of my list to live or even visit.  I like shade (I'm a deep South girl), greenery, and birds - and quiet.  Oh, and I really didn't like any of the places they toured. 

• Like 5

Parker, AZ:  yes, he was a "welder for a utility company" and she was "in finance".  Either she's pulling in big bucks or they have an alternative source.  Millions to spend on a house and it sounded like an unlimited budget for boats (multiple) and toys!  

The one thing I will say about them is that other than the screens on the house they chose, they really didn't seem to complain about much?  They seemed to have no discernable style.  They also seemed to really like each other, which we can't say about too many couples on this show!

I don't know, Parker looked post-apocalyptical to me.  I just couldn't wrap my head around it for some reason!  But it didn't appeal to me at all!  

• Like 3
On 6/27/2024 at 8:31 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

But it's a dry heat, lol.  Here is Baltimore the humidity is a beast.  The few times I have been to Phoenix I have loved every cactus, barren mountain I had seen, Taliesin West, the botanical gardens, Sedona, etc...it is all so beautiful, I endured the heat, it was totally worth it.

You want humidity, come to Central Florida!!

• Fire 1
  • LOL 1

Wonder how long before those Bahamas's home buyers get tired of living in that resort condo.  Looks nice for short time but full time living could get old.

• Like 3

I was reading my paper's "Best Bets" for tv shows this evening. HH was listed as one of them with a newly single woman who wants to spend lots of money on a Colonial while her friend wants her to remain on budget. Gee whiz, as if that qualifies as a "Best Bet" for tonight's viewing pleasure. 🤣

• LOL 6

AZ to Seattle couple.  I bet they will have a second floor added onto the building that is there now, or rebuild with something more modern and have a second story.   I don't blame them for wanting to be on the water, that road in front of the condo is mass people and cars on nice days, bumper to bumper.   They also wanted to be closer to their friends who live above them in West Seattle.  

(edited)

West Hartford, CT.  Please don't think all of us in CT are like Chelsea. I would not want her as a therapist. She seems pretty vapid and has bad taste in clothes. They showed some nice houses, the styles are very typical for WeHa. Prices weren't too bad. Can't picture Chelsea taking care of the house.

Edited by Grizzly
Double word
  • Like 7

I didn't like the CT woman.   She's buying her first house and wants one that's big enough for her and a future husband.  Her friend had to keep reminding her to focus on her life now.  Her backstory was that she was getting over a breakup, then at the end she mentions her carpenter boyfriend.  So, I guess she expects him to move in with her if they get married? 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I didn't like the CT woman.   She's buying her first house and wants one that's big enough for her and a future husband.  Her friend had to keep reminding her to focus on her life now.  Her backstory was that she was getting over a breakup, then at the end she mentions her carpenter boyfriend.  So, I guess she expects him to move in with her if they get married? 

I think the carpenter was her friend's boyfriend.  But, yeah, she was annoying with all the worry about what she might need at some unknown point in the distant future when maybe she gets married and maybe has children.  I did think the house she chose was most practical for her life right now though.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

No offense. I hate when people say that. Anyhoo, I now see why said boyfriend left her. Just sayin…..

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ByaNose said:

No offense. I hate when people say that. Anyhoo, I now see why said boyfriend left her. Just sayin…..

I was thinking the exact same thing....as an aside, I lived in Simsbury, CT, a suburb right near West Hartford, for 25 yrs, before moving out West. 

The people I knew were nothing like that woman.  It was generally an area of refined, well-mannered people who were very civic minded and presentable.

When I see a woman of her age wearing short skirts, I am curious about the effect she is trying to create??  

Also, was wondering about who "the boyfriend" doing her reno projects was dating? 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Who on earth goes to her professionally?

I was doing the same.  It's hard to imagine what sort of 'therapy' she was providing to her clients.

1 hour ago, pdlinda said:

When I see a woman of her age wearing short skirts, I am curious about the effect she is trying to create??  

Also, was wondering about who "the boyfriend" doing her reno projects was dating? 

She was early 30's wasn't she?  Why would that be too old for short skirts?  I didn't think the outfit was particularly flattering for her but I don't think there needs to be an age limit there.  She behaved many years younger.  

Also, I am pretty sure that it was her friend's boyfriend who was doing the reno, not that she'd found a new BF since buying the house.

I wondered how recent the breakup was. It seemed recent and I thought, is she buying a house on the rebound?

Couldn’t stand listening to her talk.

On 7/5/2024 at 1:06 AM, Notabug said:

She was early 30's wasn't she?  Why would that be too old for short skirts?  I didn't think the outfit was particularly flattering for her but I don't think there needs to be an age limit there.  She behaved many years younger.  

She said her friend was her sorority sister and they’d known each other 16 years, so assuming they pledged at 18, she’s about 34. I thought she and her friend looked older than that (the hunter wore glasses and a high ponytail at one point that really aged her) but acted younger. Her skirts were like an inch above the knee, which isn’t that short. That’s business casual for me. My minis and shorts are mid-thigh.

I did think she chose the house that made sense. I loved her office space. Hated her taste - that pink light with her and her dogs’ names was hideous - but the office space was nice.

On 7/5/2024 at 1:06 AM, Notabug said:

Also, I am pretty sure that it was her friend's boyfriend who was doing the reno, not that she'd found a new BF since buying the house.

It was - she said “Ana’s boyfriend is a carpenter.”

On 6/27/2024 at 8:31 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

Ha, I’m from the northeast and I cannot express to you how much I hate the fucking desert. Sedona is lovely but there’s not much to do, and even so, 110+ temps are not worth it to me. I used to have a friend in AZ so visited a lot, and I hated it - it was like “how do people live like this?!” for me. We’re in a heat wave in the northeast now; it was 102 on Saturday. That, too, is miserable. I just hate hot weather!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
On 7/4/2024 at 8:13 PM, pdlinda said:

It wasn't so much her age.  All of the outfits she wore did her no favors.  She was not dressing for her body. They were all skin tight and when she wore that short pleated skirt I had to gasp!  It looked like she was wearing a cheerleader outfit! Not that she is asking me but if I were to advise her I would say talk to a stylist and find out what clothes look good on her.  Remember that show "What Not to Wear?"  She could use that.  (I sure wish that show was still on, by the way!)

• Like 6

Speaking of outfits:  Last night I saw an episode where a couple was looking for a beachfront house (I think somewhere in Florida?), and I really liked the two dresses the woman wore.  I'd love to know where she got them.  She also wore white slacks and a black top that looked nice.   It was a refreshing change from the outfits that some of these HHers wear. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

It wasn't so much her age.  All of the outfits she wore did her no favors.  She was not dressing for her body. They were all skin tight and when she wore that short pleated skirt I had to gasp!  It looked like she was wearing a cheerleader outfit! Not that she is asking me but if I were to advise her I would say talk to a stylist and find out what clothes look good on her.  Remember that show "What Not to Wear?"  She could use that.  (I sure wish that show was still on, by the way!)

My thoughts in writing that post were centered around trying to comment on the clothes without specifically mentioning her "body type." 

You expressed my thoughts better than I did myself.  

The woman needed a complete "makeover," and, yes, I do regret that "What Not to Wear" was pulled from the air.  I LOVED that show.  Stacey and Clinton were quite a match-up and the show was informative and entertaining. 

Those were the days when being "judgmental and critical" were accepted and in cases like their participants were welcomed!....LOL...it seems those days are gone (probably forever).

• Like 4