Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Washougal, WA.  I like Kayla's parents. They seemed practical with no delusions of who their daughter is, a handful. I think house #1 would be the best for their family. But they'll cross it off as being too far out. Not every couple with dual incomes can afford 1.2 mil.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

All those homes had a lot of land!  I didn’t like House 2 with the awful black fireplace and little curb appeal (although she thought the outside looked “modern”).  Loved House 3 but didn’t think they’d spend that much.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Neither of the Reno houses looked good to me, and the one in Carson City would have been my choice.  I'm glad I'm not having to buy a house in that area of many others right now because I found them less than attractive, and way over priced for the condition they were in and square footage.  

The house where the indoor access to the garage was through a small door was so odd.  I kept trying to think of something positive in each house that would make me think it had potential, but I drew a blank.   

• Love 2

Yeah, buying now is rough. My brother spent mid $600,000s and still got an outdated home in an area he doesn't really want to be. He would have had to spend about fifty to 75 grand more to get what he wanted where he wanted.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, laredhead said:

Neither of the Reno houses looked good to me, and the one in Carson City would have been my choice.  I'm glad I'm not having to buy a house in that area of many others right now because I found them less than attractive, and way over priced for the condition they were in and square footage.  

Agree Laredhead. Luckily the couple seemed pretty low maintenance. Would have loved to have seen a high maintenance couple whining about those choices. Beautiful country, but unaffordable for many.

• Love 1

I could only afford (at most) $300,000 for a house. I’m looking to downsize my house and move soon so I die a little inside when I see someone (or as the wife said, dual income) can afford a 1.2 million home. Yes. I know the grass isn’t always greener on the other side but I’d be willing to find out. LOL!!. I liked the home they picked because I too want one floor living. It had an awesome space above the garage which was basically another house. I knew they were going to pick it since it was a new build. I’m sure the 3 bedroom house will be fine even when the girls get older and do want their own rooms. All in all, not a bad episode. The wife was a little rough but not totally horrible. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Another misused word in the Princess episode.  "Historical" neighborhood.  No, it actually called a "historic" neighborhood.  This has shown up on a lot of HH episodes.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

I grew up in a house built in the 1880s. It had one bathroom with a claw foot tub, no shower, single sink with exposed plumbing, and a toilet. My memory is that the inside of the tub was cleaned after each use. I don't remember an issue of cleaning around it. I was so envious of my friends that had modern bathrooms. I lived, but sure wouldn't want one today! I'd love to have a heated Jacuzzi tub. Claw foot tub - no thanks.

• Love 3
On 6/30/2022 at 10:39 AM, Crashcourse said:

There was a HH a while back whose name was La Peachez (I think that was the spelling). 

I saw a movie where a young woman was suggesting creative names for her child. After listening to a couple, her friend said--and I paraphrase--"You might as well just name her Food Stamp."

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

My grandmother's house had a claw foot tub.  They build a frame around it so it looked built in with no space between the wall and the tub.  I bought a new-build house a couple of years ago.  The builder was putting a shower and a huge soaking tub in the main bathrooms along with a wall and a door to enclose the toilet.  I had them leave the tub out, enlarged the shower, and did not have them build the "toilet room".  It's ok to see the toilet in the bathroom, right?  The bathroom is now huge.  I had a large linen closet built in the tub space, and I now have the bathroom of my dreams.  It is large enough for a rose gold claw foot tub----but that will never happen.  (Who thinks of these things?)

• Love 7
13 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I had them leave the tub out, enlarged the shower, and did not have them build the "toilet room".  It's ok to see the toilet in the bathroom, right?  The bathroom is now huge. 

I've never lived anywhere that had a big bathroom, and for the last 20 years I've had a toilet room that is just barely big enough for the toilet.  I think it's warped me.  Because when I see these houses with enormous bathrooms and an open toilet, I picture myself sitting there with my pants around my knees and all that space all around me, and I feel very exposed.

It's kind of the same way in pubic bathrooms that don't have stalls, because they have to be pretty big in order to accommodate a wheelchair.  It's just little old me over in the corner, with all that open space.

• Wink 1
  • Love 2

I love toilet rooms.  That way in the event someone is there with me I can use the toilet while they're in there showering or whatever.  I haven't reached the level of comfort where I don't mind pooping in front of my partner.  Or using feminine products.

However, when I'm alone I use the bathroom with the door open! 

I had unannounced maintenance men show up once while I was on the toilet with the door open and I was not clothed.  That was quite unpleasant!

I missed her saying she wanted a rose gold claw foot tub (just heard her whine about the claw foot).  Was she planning to "influence" people by filming herself taking a bath in said tub?

• LOL 8
4 hours ago, rhofmovalley said:

I love toilet rooms.  That way in the event someone is there with me I can use the toilet while they're in there showering or whatever.  I haven't reached the level of comfort where I don't mind pooping in front of my partner.  Or using feminine products.

However, when I'm alone I use the bathroom with the door open! 

I had unannounced maintenance men show up once while I was on the toilet with the door open and I was not clothed.  That was quite unpleasant!

I missed her saying she wanted a rose gold claw foot tub (just heard her whine about the claw foot).  Was she planning to "influence" people by filming herself taking a bath in said tub?

Bathroom modesty went out the door the day I got married.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 6/30/2022 at 10:34 PM, Grizzly said:

Washougal, WA.  I like Kayla's parents. They seemed practical with no delusions of who their daughter is, a handful. I think house #1 would be the best for their family. But they'll cross it off as being too far out. Not every couple with dual incomes can afford 1.2 mil.

Would like to know what type of high end property she manages, especially with that  nose ring.  She did remind me of Kelly Ripa.

• Love 2
(edited)
15 minutes ago, cameron said:

Would like to know what type of high end property she manages, especially with that  nose ring.  She did remind me of Kelly Ripa.

Just finished watching this whole episode and no way was house #1 a craftsman.  That had to be a joke to even say it.

Edited by cameron
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, cameron said:

Just finished watching this whole episode and no way was house #1 a craftsman.  That had to be a joke to even say it.

Their idea of craftsman on this show is a total joke, and on every episode where it happens.   

There have been very few real craftsman homes on this show.    They call homes on other real estate shows craftsman without a real reason all of the time. 

I wonder if the Newark house hunter was really talking about a pink clawfoot tub with rose gold fixtures, and claw feet?    That's not as pricey as a gold painted stand alone tub.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Who knew - rose gold fixtures are a thing.

rosegold.jpg

Soon to be considered "dated" and needing to be ripped out. There is a reason that white porcelain and chrome fixtures keep coming back in style.

Edited by deirdra
  • Like 5
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Their idea of craftsman on this show is a total joke, and on every episode where it happens.   

There have been very few real craftsman homes on this show.    They call homes on other real estate shows craftsman without a real reason all of the time. 

I wonder if the Newark house hunter was really talking about a pink clawfoot tub with rose gold fixtures, and claw feet?    That's not as pricey as a gold painted stand alone tub.    

No one has mentioned what she did in the kitchen. It was a pretty big room with plenty of counter space and she had a little, could say tiny, island built in the middle. I assume an island was another thing she had in her head from watching real estate shows. A nice big table would have functioned much better and been more versatile -- moveable -- as well.

• Love 5

The advantage of an island over a table is you have storage space underneath. Where I live it also has to have an electrical outlet to meet code, so you can use it for appliances. (Learned that when we bought our current house).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

The advantage of an island over a table is you have storage space underneath. Where I live it also has to have an electrical outlet to meet code, so you can use it for appliances. (Learned that when we bought our current house).

Yes, but she seemed to have plenty of storage and counter space. Would have been enough for me, anyway. Also, I always think that if I sat at an island in the morning before I'm really awake, or late in the evening when I'm tired , I'd be sure to tumble right off one of those stools. 🙃

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Western PA. "I'm a creative." Wtf does that mean? Since when is creative a noun? Props for her weight loss. House #1 was interesting. You can tell they have young kids, Ryan likes his "tubbies". House #2 needs too much work. House #3 seemed to check all the boxes. So of course they didn't pick it.

• Love 2
(edited)

Western PA, blended family.  She has one child, he has three, and they also are opening a bistro for her healthy recipes, (she lost 180 lbs).    She wants to have a cow, and goats and take the milk to the bistro.  $450k budget.  He wants a game room for pinball machines.   I think the wife/fiance thinks people will come into the bistro for every meal, and I doubt that.  

House 1-almost 4 acres, $450k, 1848 sq ft, house built by the Amish, she wants to whitewash the ceiling, keep the dark beams.   She's talking about extending the kitchen island.   Nice hardwood floors.   2 bedrooms, and a loft with a bath attached.    She wants a triple bunk bed for the little boys.  She's another 'basements are creepy' person.   The worst issue to me is the little boys will be in the open loft, and she wants to put a triple bunk in for them?  Ridiculous.  

House 2-much cheaper, cabin, $250k, realtor suspects price is to start a bidding war.   Harmony PA. 3 bed, 2 bath, ,  1400 sq. ft, close to the bistro.   He doesn't like the floor condition.   A full bath with a claw foot tub right off the dining/kitchen.  about 2 acres, with a swing set, shed.   Main bedroom is in walk out basement, with a bath. she wants to redo into the main suite, and redo the en suite.   The little boys will be crammed into the one upstairs room, and I hate that for them. 

House 3-gravel driveway. 3 bed, 2.5 bath, $294,900 , 2150 sq. ft., acres.  she wants to whitewash the brick exterior.   2 living areas, so room for a game room. back yard is chain link fence.   I think it's a split level.   guest bath tub is bright blue.   She wants a bigger bedroom for her daughter, and a small one for the three boys, main bedroom is nice, but en suite is small.   

They pick #2 .    I would have gone with #1.    They bought the house for $300k.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
11 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Western PA. "I'm a creative." Wtf does that mean? Since when is creative a noun? 

So true Grizzly. Last week I learned about "glam rooms", this week "creatives". HH is full of educational information. 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 7
On 7/2/2022 at 5:36 PM, cameron said:

She reminded me of Christina Applegate, especially around the eyes.

Do real estate agents in that area of Washington state really do that well?Did they ever say that they were going to sell their former home?

• Love 1

Western Pennsylvania:  I know the whole structure of the show is that people walk around looking at houses and talking about them, but this episode in particular seemed like they never shut up.  It was exhausting.

16 hours ago, Grizzly said:

"I'm a creative." Wtf does that mean?

Plus, she's a goddamn opera singer.  Why would someone choose "I'm a creative" over "I'm an opera singer" or even "I trained as an opera singer"? 

Then again, did she say what her job was before bistro?  Maybe "I'm a creative" is another way of saying "jobless person who doesn't code." 

16 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Props for her weight loss.

Definitely props for her weight loss, but it looks like she still has a ways to go.  Will the bistro have before and after photos on display?  Because if I were looking for a restaurant that would help me lose weight and saw her standing there as the success story that inspired the restaurant, I wouldn't be super encouraged.

Plus, I think I'm in the minority but when I pay money to go out to eat, I want the biggest calorie bang for the buck. 

16 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They bought the house for $300k.   

The house was listed at $250K and they put an offer in for $300K and it was accepted and he called it the deal of the century.  These are the times we're living in.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Maybe I missed it, but did either one mention what their jobs were, other than her being "a creative?" 

He's military and retiring soon I suspect, and she's a former opera singer now a 'creative'. 

What I didn't like was she seemed to think having cows, and goats, and chickens would be easy.   They're all a lot of work, and supplying a bistro's needs consistently isn't going to happen, and while she's collecting eggs, and milking goats, who's cooking and running the bistro?  I don't see anyway that she can have the number of animals she wants on the smaller property they bought. 

• Like 7

I think that whole "running a bistro" story was just for the show.  If he's retiring from the military, I don't see him wanting to work that hard.  He seemed to want to spend time with his kids.  Instead of a bistro, she might be better off going on Youtube and giving weight loss tips (assuming she loses some more weight). 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Looking for Lake Life in Wisconsin.   They want a house for their kids, and foster kids.   She's a meditation instructor (not kidding), and she was on the Real World New Orleans.  He's a doctor. Julie and Spense.   

He wants 4 bedrooms, and she wants 6 bedrooms. Her budget is $1.75 million, his is $1.5 million. on acreage and a lake, with room for chickens.   She wants wood and stone, and expensive.   They are looking near lakes, but she wants lake front.  

House 1-$1.499 million, but only 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, on Lake Focachi (or something like that), and he wants a double decker pontoon boat.   Downstairs is a walkout, with a smaller additional kitchen.   .2 acres.   To use the 40 acre park you don't pay, you have to put in work on the park.    The main en suite tub is acoustic, multiple jets, and plays music.   

House 2-is huge, 4 bed 5 bath, 5923 sq.ft. mansion. on 4 acres, price $1.595 million She wants to rip out a perfectly lovely kitchen counter for a huge island.   The en suite tub fills from the ceiling. a huge shower with multiple heads, the walk out basement has 2 bedrooms, and a big bar, and room for large parties, realtor says if the house was on the lake it would be a $10 million house, 

House 3-7 bed , 3 bath, $1.685 million, on the lake, 156 ft of lake frontage, on 2 acres, Part of the house was from 1852, and a huge addition recently. She wants to gut the entire kitchen.  She wants to redo the bedrooms in the older part of the house.  I bet with reno this one will hit close to $2 million.   She wants to do a ton of reno, he doesn't .

I think they'll buy #3,   They buy #3.    They bought at $1.575, They have a foster placement.  I really wonder how real the 'rip it out' talk is real?    I bet what she wants to do will end up at $500k easy.   

The HGTV marathon theme seems to be HH that I can't stand.  First one in California people lost a house, want room for an RV for visiting relatives to park and stay long term (not happening in a HOA neighborhood, and probably not other places either).   So they get a smaller place, no RV parking, so they have a dedicated guest room for visitors, and the sons have bunk beds and games in the family room,   So, parents and daughter get the other two bedrooms.   

Then the medical resident moving to Delaware for three years.   Her parents will pay the down payment, and she will pay the mortgage.    The boyfriend demands it fits his giant truck, and HOA has to allow that, and they need the living room for the dogs, their kennels, etc., and  also living room has to fit his huge sectional couch.    Both keep whining about what the parents want, easy maintenance, keep up for sale when daughter finishes her residency, and it's not clear what the boyfriend's contribution will be, except his demands.    If they don't like the parents' rules, then they could pay their own down payment, but we all know that's not happening.  

Then the  woman with the padded headbands in Bay City, MIchigan, and she wants a lavish, expensive wedding, and he is more worried about the house.   Her first headband looks like she jammed it on her head right before filming.    Maybe that's her gimmick for the show?   The realtor amazes me.  Claiming instead of taking out the cabinet for the fridge, that they buy two apartment size fridges, is ridiculous.   You simply take out the too small cubby for the fridge, and get any size you want.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Lake Country, WI. Hate to admit but I loved the fixtures/details of house #1. But when she jumped on the word trendy, you know she's going to change it all in 5 years. I wasn't crazy about #2, liked the husband's description. If you're in lake country and have that kind of money to spend, live on the lake! #3 had her acreage and his on the lake. It was expensive and needed work. Helps when you can get it for below asking.

• Love 1

Dallas to FL. I found it to be interesting at the beginning they were saying they rent out their Dallas place when in FL. All I could think was who would rent it with white appliances? The horror 😉.

• Fire 1
  • LOL 8
31 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

She's a meditation instructor (not kidding), and she was on the Real World New Orleans.  He's a doctor. Julie and Spense.   

OMG, really, Julie Stoffer was on HH?  I don't know why I react with surprise - she has no actual skills and is desperate to revive her reality show career - but I'm just horrified any time she gets more attention, since she's a steaming pile of feces in human form.  She is an absolute nutjob -- manipulative, narcissistic, probably not clinically a sociopath but exhibiting many of the characteristics, and just an all around asshole.

You can peruse the thread for the recent "Homecoming" series where the RW: NO cast reunited for a couple of weeks if you want more on what a horrible person she is.

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
37 minutes ago, BAForever said:

Dallas to Florida. Anybody else get a weird Al vibe from the guy? 

Yes, he resembled Weird Al, especially when his hair was down!

• Wink 1
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, Bastet said:

OMG, really, Julie Stoffer was on HH?  I don't know why I react with surprise - she has no actual skills and is desperate to revive her reality show career - but I'm just horrified any time she gets more attention, since she's a steaming pile of feces in human form.  She is an absolute nutjob -- manipulative, narcissistic, probably not clinically a sociopath but exhibiting many of the characteristics, and just an all around asshole.

You can peruse the thread for the recent "Homecoming" series where the RW: NO cast reunited for a couple of weeks if you want more on what a horrible person she is.

Oh, wow.  I thought she was “a lot,” (wanting to tear out perfectly beautiful kitchens, for example), but that is very interesting!  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

She's a meditation instructor

She seemed so hyper for a "meditation instructor." Whatever that is.

I'm not familiar with her old show but I really got the feeling she was over the moon to be on TV again - I kept waiting for her to say " Tell Mr. DeMille I'm ready for my closeup now.

She was a bit much.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

She is playing her Rebecca Pearson from  This is Us role down pat.

Edited by cameron
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Calling shenanigans on the amount of possible rental income Dallas to Florida HH. First, anytime we book short-term (usually) vrbo or airbnb, we book months out, how does that work with going back and forth between their 2 homes?  Second, expenses like taxes, utilities, upkeep, cleaning and supplies, and insurance need to be factored in. That couple bugged the crap out of me. Were they hippies, hipsters or bougie? Couldn't tell.

Edited by BAForever
  • Like 2
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, BAForever said:

Calling shenanigans on the amount of possible rental income Dallas to Florida HH. First, anytime we book short-term (usually) vrbo or airbnb, we book months out, how does that work with going back and forth between their 2 homes?  Second, expenses like taxes, utilities, upkeep, cleaning and supplies, and insurance need to be factored in. That couple bugged the crap out of me. Were they hippies, hipsters or bougie? Couldn't tell.

Agree, and the prices he referenced were a bit insane, thinking they'd make $3000/month renting out the studio apartment.  It is indeed listed on AirBnB currently $158/night. Granted it's low season but looking at current availability they're not going to clear $3000 this month... 

As a VRBO/AirBnB vacationer, I want to be on the beach or close to local attractions, and I wouldn't be down for sharing a pool with strangers living in the main house. 

They were an odd couple. She was singer and he was?

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Thanks for doing homework on the house snarts. Plus is he assuming 100% occupancy to get to $2000? Now we usually vaca with multiple family members, so a place for the old folks and a close place for kids isn't horrible.  Just back from a week in Broken Bow Oklahoma. Had a huge cabin with an annex. Stuck the family with babies in the annex- it was wonderful for all. 

She was a singer, she has a pretty voice. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Lake Country, WI. Hate to admit but I loved the fixtures/details of house #1. But when she jumped on the word trendy, you know she's going to change it all in 5 years. I wasn't crazy about #2, liked the husband's description. If you're in lake country and have that kind of money to spend, live on the lake! #3 had her acreage and his on the lake. It was expensive and needed work. Helps when you can get it for below asking.

I know this area - a sibling lived near a lake east of where they were looking.   In a neighborhood way less expensive but nice.    In the 15 years since my sibling moved away, the whole area just grew like crazy with more expensive homes.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, snarts said:

Agree, and the prices he referenced were a bit insane, thinking they'd make $3000/month renting out the studio apartment.  It is indeed listed on AirBnB currently $158/night. Granted it's low season but looking at current availability they're not going to clear $3000 this month... 

As a VRBO/AirBnB vacationer, I want to be on the beach or close to local attractions, and I wouldn't be down for sharing a pool with strangers living in the main house. 

They were an odd couple. She was singer and he was?

He is a licensed realtor in both Texas and Florida.

• Love 1