Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: Medical Device Design

• Start Topic

Okay, fuck those people who refused to listen to the women when trying to rate that device. Wow. Totally closed my legs at the mention of the vaginal mesh stuff, too. Yeesh

Also, that guy who was all, "A million here, a million there" needs to be punched in the face.  Good ol' for-profit medical care striking again :/. 

That Tennessee story, though. OMFG, that had me dying. Thank god these people are so open with their stupidity. And thank god they're both going to be leaving office. Yes, please, can we get that whole "holding people accountable" thing to spread up to and including a certain White House resident? 

(I was expecting to learn that the same guy who overlooked all this drug stuff was trying to force welfare recipients to take drug tests before Oliver even mentioned that. Sad how predictable politics can be sometimes.)

*Heads off to look up more on that jazz-focused serial killer* 

• Love 3

There was a stray laugh from an audience member, but John didn't even comment on the absurdity of how the rating scale for Essure was set up:

Temp.thumb.jpg.1af141a8f628963a619b29ae880b6f8d.jpg

Excellent. Good. Fair. VERY GOOD. Poor. Yup, just like what you were taught in Stats School.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

*Heads off to look up more on that jazz-focused serial killer* 

According to wikipedia, the Axeman of New Orleans was never caught:

The Axeman was not caught or identified, and his crime spree stopped as mysteriously as it had started. The murderer's identity remains unknown to this day, although various possible identifications of varying plausibility have been proposed. On March 13, 1919, a letter purporting to be from the Axeman was published in newspapers saying that he would kill again at 15 minutes past midnight on the night of March 19, but would spare the occupants of any place where a jazz band was playing. That night all of New Orleans' dance halls were filled to capacity, and professional and amateur bands played jazz at parties at hundreds of houses around town. There were no murders that night.

The letter:

Hell, March 13, 1919

Esteemed Mortal of New Orleans: The Axeman

They have never caught me and they never will. They have never seen me, for I am invisible, even as the ether that surrounds your earth. I am not a human being, but a spirit and a demon from the hottest hell. I am what you Orleanians and your foolish police call the Axeman.

When I see fit, I shall come and claim other victims. I alone know whom they shall be. I shall leave no clue except my bloody axe, besmeared with blood and brains of he whom I have sent below to keep me company.

If you wish you may tell the police to be careful not to rile me. Of course, I am a reasonable spirit. I take no offense at the way they have conducted their investigations in the past. In fact, they have been so utterly stupid as to not only amuse me, but His Satanic Majesty, Francis Josef, etc. But tell them to beware. Let them not try to discover what I am, for it were better that they were never born than to incur the wrath of the Axeman. I don't think there is any need of such a warning, for I feel sure the police will always dodge me, as they have in the past. They are wise and know how to keep away from all harm.

Undoubtedly, you Orleanians think of me as a most horrible murderer, which I am, but I could be much worse if I wanted to. If I wished, I could pay a visit to your city every night. At will I could slay thousands of your best citizens (and the worst), for I am in close relationship with the Angel of Death.

Now, to be exact, at 12:15 (earthly time) on next Tuesday night, I am going to pass over New Orleans. In my infinite mercy, I am going to make a little proposition to you people. Here it is:

I am very fond of jazz music, and I swear by all the devils in the nether regions that every person shall be spared in whose home a jazz band is in full swing at the time I have just mentioned. If everyone has a jazz band going, well, then, so much the better for you people. One thing is certain and that is that some of your people who do not jazz it out on that specific Tuesday night (if there be any) will get the axe.

Well, as I am cold and crave the warmth of my native Tartarus, and it is about time I leave your earthly home, I will cease my discourse. Hoping that thou wilt publish this, that it may go well with thee, I have been, am and will be the worst spirit that ever existed either in fact or realm of fancy.

--The Axeman

• Love 3

“OPOSSUM!! Shit!”

Good episode, uncomfortable as it was. And we got to learn more about government in Tennessee than we ever wanted. Also: lady on Animal Planet that’s good with lopping off balls. Awesome. Here’s where my mind went. Word of warning: there might be “OPOSSUM!!” moments if you’re squeamish, even with stop-motion animation.

• Love 3

The Axman Case is WILD! I definitely recommend Buzzfeed Unsolved's episode about him if you haven't seen it. It's the type of thing that could only happen in New Orleans. (There's a song composed for him, and tbh, it's really a bop. He'd be proud.)

Yes, I freaked out a little, the Axman case is one of my favourite true crime cases lmao 

This was very interesting and very uncomfortable. I can't imagine how painful metal on metal joints would be.  Also, opossum should be the safe word for everything ever. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

“OPOSSUM!! Shit!”

Also: lady on Animal Planet that’s good with lopping off balls. Awesome. 

Once I went to look at a horse to buy. Drove up to the property & as I walked to the ranch house I saw a vet's truck parked by the cross-ties. There was blood on the ground & I passed by right in time to see someone toss a freshly lopped off testicle to a waiting ranch dog.

• LOL 2
(edited)
48 minutes ago, khyber said:

Once I went to look at a horse to buy. Drove up to the property & as I walked to the ranch house I saw a vet's truck parked by the cross-ties. There was blood on the ground & I passed by right in time to see someone toss a freshly lopped off testicle to a waiting ranch dog.

Thank you for sharing. 🙄😜

Of course John would pronounce to “o” in “opossum.” On the other hand, he didn’t bring in Gilbert Gottfried to dub Jared, so I guess things evened out.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, khyber said:

There was blood on the ground & I passed by right in time to see someone toss a freshly lopped off testicle to a waiting ranch dog.

OPOSSUM!!! Geez! *shudder*

Of course John would pronounce to “o” in “opossum.” 

That reminds me of Tan France pronouncing “squirrel.” 😂

I love Jane Krakowski. She was perfect for this!

• Love 4
(edited)

So I went to check out Dr. Dee, ball buster, and her show apparently ended in 2016.

4 hours ago, khyber said:

There was blood on the ground & I passed by right in time to see someone toss a freshly lopped off testicle to a waiting ranch dog.

Surprised some hipster hasn't put a version of it on their menu, a la Rocky Mountain oysters.

As for the ranch dog, he probably thought it was poetic justice, as he'd likely been denutted at some point.

Edited by meowmommy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Years ago my MIL had a vaginal mesh put in. I remember her saying how uncomfortable it was. I wish I could remember the outcome. I believe she had it removed. 

My sister has had two hip replacements. I'm curious what kind of material hers are made out of. 

I think there was a whole story arc about a bad medical device company on The Resident.

The story about the Tennessee rep and his aide was unbelievable. First off, why would you text stuff like that when you're a public servant? Anyway, glad both of them are out the door.

I enjoyed John's comment that in his televised statement, Mueller had "impeachment" screaming from his eyes.

And, yes, Jared Kushner really does look like he's been factory re-setted. Trump's map of Israel and the "Nice" were... *sigh*. Nothing should surprise or disgust me anymore.

I didn't much like the Alaskan vet segment, except maybe for the final guy's comment. I occasionally watch a couple different vet shows, but I haven't seen this one. She looked like she was trying too hard to be funny.

3 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

So I went to check out Dr. Dee, ball buster, and her show apparently ended in 2016.

Ah. No wonder I haven't seen it.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

The Axman Case is WILD! I definitely recommend Buzzfeed Unsolved's episode about him if you haven't seen it. It's the type of thing that could only happen in New Orleans. (There's a song composed for him, and tbh, it's really a bop. He'd be proud.)

Yes, I freaked out a little, the Axman case is one of my favourite true crime cases lmao 

Well, I know what I'm going to listen to when I have a moment free :D. Thanks for the link!

And of course there's a song. I feel like that's a requirement for a lot of infamous serial killers-they need to have a song about them. 

5 hours ago, khyber said:

...lovely. 

34 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

The story about the Tennessee rep and his aide was unbelievable. First off, why would you text stuff like that when you're a public servant? Anyway, glad both of them are out the door.

I'm still stuck on the fact that that bathroom hasn't had soap for years. 

I enjoyed John's comment that in his televised statement, Mueller had "impeachment" screaming from his eyes.

Seriously, Mueller's got to be thinking, "Guys, honestly, I don't know how much clearer I can make this for you." 

And, yes, Jared Kushner really does look like he's been factory re-setted. Trump's map of Israel and the "Nice" were... *sigh*. Nothing should surprise or disgust me anymore.

Remember when we had a leader who behaved like a responsible, intelligent, mature human being? Yeah. That was nice, wasn't it? 

I also loved John's take on the name Cade. 

• Love 2

I had Essure done in 2005 and have never had an issue.  From what I have heard, I should consider myself very, very lucky.

The okie-doke on the Momz in Da Hood was so disappointing, I was all ready for them to come out.  That lady seemed super young for a hip replacement.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

Not very reassuring as I am recovering from a hip replacement a week ago.  Hopefully I got a good one.

Here's to a speedy recovery for you :). 

• Love 1

I watched the documentary The Bleeding Edge, which was referenced in tonight’s segment, on Netflix several months ago. It was scary. Women’s lives were destroyed with these devices. And then I couldn’t help but think of my rotation in Ob/Gyn as an intern with all the women getting  Essure. I hope they’re okay. 

12 hours ago, khyber said:

....lovely

Believe me, ranch dogs regard the arrival of the castration truck in much the same way many children regard the arrival of Santa and his sleigh.   Except the castration truck is real.

I have a close relative who lives in Tennessee, and if I ever spoke to him, I'm sure he'd be just fine with the his rep and the rep's aid, and probably doesn't know anyone who would see anything wrong with what they texted.

• LOL 2

The Tennessee part could have been stronger--based on living here and living through it. The aide is gone; Casada (the rep) is not. He's agreed (reluctantly) to step down as speaker; I don't think he's stepping down as a rep. Also, yesterday which is when he was supposed to discuss his plan for leaving he announced he would start working on that AFTER his vacation! Truth is we all know "plan for leaving" should take 5 minutes--as in draft the "I resign letter" and be done.

Also when the Casada thing first broke, he initially went full Trump (a) blame this on the media; say they are making this up;  and (b) blame his own statements on "locker room" talk. I guess he was shocked to realize these approaches don't work for every Republican.

The piece could have also discussed how (a) he/staffer is under investigation for trying to frame a civil rights activist (reports so far suggest somebody doctored the date on a email that the activisit sent to make it look like he violated a restraining order; he actually sent the email pre-order); and (b) the possibility of bribes being paid when the House tied on the Governor's crappy voucher plan; Casada held the vote open until he arm twisted one Repub to flip his vote. The plan only got through after they watered it down so it only applies to Nashville and Memphis-you know the 2 counties that reliably go Blue and that have the most minorities.

I don't think it even brought up when he barred the doors and prevented Democrats from leaving the chamber--physically had troopers keep them there--because otherwise he'd lose a quorum since all the Repubs were not there.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Hooper said:

Believe me, ranch dogs regard the arrival of the castration truck in much the same way many children regard the arrival of Santa and his sleigh.   Except the castration truck is real.

Now I have this mental image of an ice cream truck, only it plays “Big Balls” by AC/DC.

@RedbirdNelly . . . damn. I’d say it’s the state with the most problems, but what state doesn’t qualify for that these days?

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 6/3/2019 at 9:52 AM, khyber said:

Once I went to look at a horse to buy.

[Interior: Ranch Sales Office]

Rancher: Good Morning Sir! How can I help you today?

Customer: I want to buy a gelding.

Rancher: Give me five minutes, then I can show you a beauty....

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Between the IVC filter I have in me and the fact that part of my job is finding cases and news stories on health and “life sciences” (pharma and med devices, mostly), I was just wincing at the main story this week. 

• Love 2
On 6/2/2019 at 11:37 PM, Annber03 said:

Okay, fuck those people who refused to listen to the women when trying to rate that device. Wow. Totally closed my legs at the mention of the vaginal mesh stuff, too. Yeesh

I am childfree by choice and I already wanted to get a bilateral salpingectomy instead of an IUD, because they can make your periods worse and mine already suck. This just confirmed that I would never get an IUD ever.

On 6/3/2019 at 7:20 AM, Lantern7 said:

“OPOSSUM!! Shit!"

I actually wasn't a fan of that joke as a squeamish person. At first I thought it was nice of him to put in a warning and it was kind of messed up that it turned out to be a trick.

• Love 6
On 6/3/2019 at 3:25 PM, Lantern7 said:

Of course John would pronounce to “o” in “opossum.” On the other hand, he didn’t bring in Gilbert Gottfried to dub Jared, so I guess things evened out. 

Why *wouldn't* you pronounce the "o" in "opossum"?

• Love 1