Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E09: All in the Family

It's all in the family as one designer must work with her mother and sister to transform their neighbors' space; Paige Davis, Ty Pennington, Brett Tutor and Joanie Sprague, plus Sabrina Soto and her family relatively raise the design stakes.

Original airdate: May 11, 2019

(edited)

I know this is going to sound whiny, but on my TV the sound and the faces aren't synchronized.    It's really distracting.     

There is no point in Sabrina's mother and sister being told to do the art project, when Sabrina immediately takes over and does it herself.   I love Sabrina's Mom though, and the sister is so fun.   

It's not good when the homeowner says Ty doesn't have a plan, then Ty implies that he does, and then Ty really doesn't have a plan.      The wall paper (actually contac paper I think) looked OK on the closet doors, but it's terrible on the room wall.    Who would ever assign a project like that wallpaper pattern to a couple of amateurs?   Putting that wallpaper on the ceiling looks awful.   Ty didn't plan anything this time did he?    The woman who worked on Ty's room is right, everything that peel off wall paper touched will be sticky.   

Ty actually sent a stripper to Sabrina's house!   That's damn tacky.  

Sabrina's room look good, but Ty's room is horrible.  The wallpaper in Ty's room goes with nothing else in the room.    And why would anyone put paper airplanes on the walls?   And barf bags on the table?    The desk/table isn't big enough for Sabrina's mother to do crafts.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 7
(edited)

Why did they paint the walls if they're just going to cover everything with wallpaper? It looks like crap; just give it up.

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

Sabrina working with her family is a bad idea, they drove her nuts! Sabrina’s room is very nice but her $70 art project sucks, you can barely see the beach in the picture! As for Tygert, can Tygert be banned from designing? Paper airplanes and barf bags?! Wallpaper on a closet?!  It is something Hilda would do! Tygert’s room is a big mess! The stripper and Sabrina saying the f word is too much! I thought this is a family show? At least both homeowners loved the rooms! 

• Love 8

I tuned in, heard a bunch of screeching and tuned out. Yikes this show has gone to hell. I did pop in again long enough to see someone pick a pair of random gold hands out of all the possible things they could have gotten for free, they picked a pair of gold hands. What is wrong with people? lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 13

I liked Sabrina's dining room. The blue and white is pretty, it invokes Hawaii/beach without being over the top "themed." I don't really get the gold hand bookends from the tent but whatever.

Ty's...hmmmmm.....much better than I thought it would be given that all we saw was chaos and air sickness bags (what?) and badly-hung wallpaper. I like the blown up picture of her daughters. I didn't even hate the paper airplanes (though probably wouldn't keep them for long.) That wallpaper would be gone, though. At least the bags and the "CUBA" are easy to get rid of.

• Love 4

Watching this family dynamic is like a psychological case study, because Sabrina is really annoying around her family.  Their history tells her what behavior to anticipate, but she "responds" to it before they've even done it - or even if they never do it.

Her mom saying, "I didn’t say anything yet,” when Sabrina warned her she can’t treat her like her daughter, not as the designer, made me laugh.  But Maria had me at "a bar would be nice" in discussing her room.

In Ty's room, that paper looked nice on the doors, but I shared their apprehension about how the lighter version was going to look on a section of wall and ceiling.  His team sucked to just not do it, though.  Wallpapering is a crappy homework assignment; it takes concentration to line up and keep smooth and gets easily frustrating, so it's not something to do into the night when you've already been working all day.  But leaving a major design element undone until day two is even crappier.  I'm amazed it came out as well as it did (meaning, from a distance, it looked okay). 

The woman on that team was a Negative Nancy overall, and would be annoying to work with.  I have to grant her a fair degree of resistance, though -- when someone tells you he wants to put paper airplanes on the wall, turn barf bags into candle "holders," and literally spell out Cuba for someone who said not to go with a Cuban theme?  That stuff was all easy to ditch, and what was left was nothing exciting, but nothing bad, either.

Sabrina's room was another underwhelming but inoffensive design, but those chairs she brought in are a serious downgrade from what was there.  The two on the ends might be okay, I didn't get a good look, but those plastic IKEA chairs she put on the sides are notorious for not being comfortable to sit in for very long (probably not even long enough to eat a meal) and being prone to cracking.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I know this is going to sound whiny, but on my TV the sound and the faces aren't synchronized.    It's really distracting.     

Oh, I hate when that happens. 

I don't for the life of me get the trend I've been seeing on interior design shows of wallpapering ceilings. It never looks good. And Ty papered the wardrobe doors, but not the drawer fronts, so there's a disjointed look between the dark black-and-gold doors and translucent drawers. 

Neither of these rooms was all that big, so it's hard to see where the money went. Especially in Ty's room, where he used her existing furniture (including a couple of lamps), and didn't add anything major that wasn't made by Joanie.

• Love 3

Sabrina's Mom’s room would be improved 50% by simply sweeping everything off the black dresser thing and taking down the paper airplanes. The barf bags, CUBA, and planes were just dumb ideas.

I didn’t mind the covering on the storage closet. I hated that the headboard pattern was random and that next to that wallpaper would drive me crazy. At least Ty left her TV and ceiling fan.

I fast forwarded through the stripper part. Enough with the stupid shenanigans.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, SHD said:

I fast forwarded through the stripper part. Enough with the stupid shenanigans.

Beyond the obvious shenanigans that annoyed me about that stripper segment on general principle was also Ty's "I've sent a firefighter stripper over to that house because it's so hot at this one without AC" bullshit -- unless I heard wrong, this took place in Valencia, CA.  That's a far outer suburb of Los Angeles, where it gets seriously hot each summer (numerous 100+ days); ain't no one other than those in far worse financial straits than Sabrina's sister and mother going without AC.  The only way the no AC thing in that house was true was if the episode was filmed while the central unit happened to be in need of repair, and the timing doesn't match up; it was not an intrinsic issue.  That was pure manufactured bullshit for storyline purposes.

It does speak to the overall family dynamic, though.  They apparently all live in or routinely visit the greater Los Angeles area - since Sabrina said this was unique in that she'd have to see her mom/sister's neighbors after the show - and the Mom/Sister home seems like one where the Sister has settled with her family and given Grandma a room in exchange for a lot of help; Maria's bedroom wasn't just a bedroom, but her room, period (for sleeping, watching TV, doing her craft projects, etc.)

• Love 1

Sabrina's Mom’s room would be improved 50% by simply sweeping everything off the black dresser thing and taking down the paper airplanes. The barf bags, CUBA, and planes were just dumb ideas.

Yeah, I really can't imagine what Ty was thinking.  I thought the neighbor was right when she said the elements would be neat if the room was meant for a 7 year old. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, tinderbox said:

Can this show get any dumber?  It needs to be saved from itself.  Yikes!

Two seasons into the reboot and every episode is already a gimmick. Same colors! Redo a classic room! It's your family!

Stick to the basics.

• Love 7

I kind of like the idea of decorating with maps, even paper airplanes made from maps.  The barf bags and luggage tag letters were a big "WTF," but the rest of the room was "meh."  Ty is a gifted carpenter, with an eye for furniture design, and I've seen him make some beautiful pieces.  But he is not a designer and it is beginning to show.  When he did "his" room on Extreme Makeover, it always turned out beautiful, but that was with lots of time and resources to plan, and skilled labor to execute.

• Love 6

So, out of curiosity I decided to check out the show online, ffing through it to get to the reveal. First place it stopped was on Paige running down a driveway like a forking toddler. In that moment I was so glad I was about to ff. So I got to the end. The blue dining room was nice though that table looked like cheap plastic. Ty's room was...well, not as bad as I'd expected, but very, very busy. Too much going on in such a small space. 

I wish he could just stick to what he's good at, which is building things. He's an amazing carpenter. He's a terrible designer. He just over designs everything. 

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

The blue dining room was nice though that table looked like cheap plastic.

The sad thing about that table was that it was a nice, real wood table from the husband's mom. I often feel like I am trapped in an episode of Curb , imploring everyone on TS to "respect the wood"!

• Love 1
19 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

There is no point in Sabrina's mother and sister being told to do the art project, when Sabrina immediately takes over and does it herself.   I love Sabrina's Mom though, and the sister is so fun.   

It's not good when the homeowner says Ty doesn't have a plan, then Ty implies that he does, and then Ty really doesn't have a plan.      The wall paper (actually contac paper I think) looked OK on the closet doors, but it's terrible on the room wall.    Who would ever assign a project like that wallpaper pattern to a couple of amateurs?   Putting that wallpaper on the ceiling looks awful.   Ty didn't plan anything this time did he?    The woman who worked on Ty's room is right, everything that peel off wall paper touched will be sticky.   

No it's not like Contact paper -  it's more like  do no damage Post-it note adhesive.

It's designed for easy  removal that's why it's good for renters.

• Love 1

That's the exact same color blue I painted my LR this year, and by itself, it made a huge impact.  The HOs could just have painted their walls and added a chandelier and gotten as much bang for their buck as they did here.

My mother used to say that someone's taste was all in their mouth.  I'd say that about Ty.  Who the hell wants crazy-ass graphics when you're trying to rest?  And the paper airplanes?  And the HO flat out asked why she would ever want barf bags because she's not a crazy person.  

I'm at the point where I automatically skip all Hildi episodes, and FF after the intro to the reveals for everyone else.  Because the payoff is just not worth it.

• Love 1

Paige is even more "extra" than she ever was before and it's starting to bother me.

It was even more unsettling that I own the same pink top she was wearing! You don't wear that top with jeans!

Ty is just a leather satchel at this point, right?

• LOL 5

Maria's bedroom wasn't just a bedroom, but her room, period (for sleeping, watching TV, doing her craft projects, etc.)

It looked like the entrance to her room was ... off the garage? When they were all coming in at the end, you could kind of see in the background.

• Love 1

I thought Sabrina and her family were fun to watch. Her mom is hilarious.

Ty's room looked fine from a distance though I wonder about that wallpaper close up. The CUBA and barf bag stuff would be simple to toss so no worries there.

I'm in the minority here but I still enjoy this show. It's just fun to me. I don't take it seriously (though I could do with less Paige or as I've said before, less scripted Paige. I'm fine with honest reactions to things; just no "I'm concerned about time" etc.)

• Love 3

I am not liking this anymore.   Too much goofing around and not enough designing  I will probably only watch it if I don't have any else to watch.   Thank goodness for my DVR.

I wonder if it will make a second season at this rate.

Ty is over the top, he thinks too much of himself.    He is a better carpenter than he is a designer.

• Love 7

My favorite part of the episode was when Sabrina's mother said, "Don't break the broom. . . or you'll have no way to get home" and Brett absolutely lost it. I must've rewound that about three times.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

On what planet is Ty (and Carter) a designer? It makes me wonder if the show can't round up enough credible designers to fill a season's worth of shows. Those two need to stick to carpentry. 

Ty's room was a hot mess.  I did like the headboard, though. Joanie did a great job with that. 

• Love 4