Type keyword(s) to search

All Rise in the Media: Court Docket

CBS Orders Drama Pilot Courthouse.

Legal drama Courthouse is written and executive by Canadian writer Spottiswood. It is a show that pulls back the curtain on the court system and follows the dedicated, chaotic, hopeful, and sometimes absurd lives of the judges, assistant district attorneys, and public defenders as they work with bailiffs, clerks, cops and jurors to bring justice to the people of Los Angeles.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· J. Alex Brinson as Luke Weiland
· Jessica Camacho as Emily Lopez-Berarro
· Lindsay Mendez as Sara
· Marg Helgenberger as Judge Judith Benner
· Ruthie Ann Miles as Sherri
· Simone Missick as Lola
· Wilson Bethel as Mark Collins

Legal drama Courthouse is written and executive by Canadian writer Spottiswood. It is a show that pulls back the curtain on the court system and follows the dedicated, chaotic, hopeful, and sometimes absurd lives of the judges, assistant district attorneys, and public defenders as they work with bailiffs, clerks, cops and jurors to bring justice to the people of Los Angeles.

My pet peeve Los Angeles County is not New York County. The actual title is Deputy District Attorney. It was in the later days of Major Crimes that I first started hearing "DDA" like the New York "ADA" instead of  "Deputy DA" as an abbreviation when referring to them.

I watch All Rise.  It is a great show to TiVo.

The ratings aren't good.  It sheds viewers from its lead-in and Bull recaptures more viewers after it.

If All Rise is renewed for a second season, it needs a time change.

Sunday night at 10 o'clock would be suitable. 

• Love 1

Normally I don't pay much attention to the credits at the beginning of the show, but I just noticed that former LA County DA Gil Garcetti is a consulting producer for the show.  Has he been on board all along or was that a new addition?

1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

Normally I don't pay much attention to the credits at the beginning of the show, but I just noticed that former LA County DA Gil Garcetti is a consulting producer for the show.  Has he been on board all along or was that a new addition?

He has been there as long as I can remember. And this isn't the first show on which he has consulted. I believe he was a consultant for The Closer/Major Crimes as well.

• Useful 1

I came here as I was catching up on episodes to ask the question. I am not one that necessarily prays, but that’s the first thought that came to my mind.  May this woman find joy again, even though it can’t replace the loss.  All good thoughts to her.  

• Love 2

Not yet but since CBS just cancelled "God Friended Me", there is still hope for "All Rise".  Given the Tiffany Network's track record for female led series to land on Sunday nights, I am guessing that CBS is freeing up the 8 pm EST slot for All Rise.  Let's keep our fingers crossed!!

• Love 3

NY Times is calling the writers quitting a "mutiny." A few quotes since there may be a paywall (I'm a subscriber):

• The [writers] who left the show said Mr. Spottiswood had sometimes ignored, rejected or resisted their attempts to have the characters and story lines accurately reflect the experiences of Black people and other people of color.

• The lead character was sometimes given dialogue or story lines that seemed false or offensively stereotypical, one of the writers, Ms. Edwards, said. When she told colleagues that certain scenes inaccurately depicted how a Black woman would speak or act, she was asked why the character’s race mattered, she added.

• Mr. Nayar wrote a scene in which the bailiff, played by J. Alex Brinson, and the lead character, played by Ms. Missick, discuss racist policing. Mr. Spottiswood killed the scene, arguing that such harassment was so common that it would not merit a discussion between two Black co-workers, Mr. Nayar said. After Ms. Missick complained about the omission, saying her character would look callous if she did not acknowledge what had happened to her colleague, Mr. Nayar rewrote the scene, he said. (Ms. Missick declined to comment.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I loved the way this show approached race and wrote POC. So disheartening to hear that the writers had to fight tooth and nail to keep those authentic portrayals they wrote and on multiple occasions only succeeded because a cast member complained.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, incandescent said:

I loved the way this show approached race and wrote POC. So disheartening to hear that the writers had to fight tooth and nail to keep those authentic portrayals they wrote and on multiple occasions only succeeded because a cast member complained.

I saw a tweet by someone who was “in the room” (not sure of her role) & she said she was glad people were walking away because the room was toxic - lots of gaslighting about racism & microaggressions. Which is a given in spaces that are predominantly white, in my experience, so it’s not surprising. Racism is never surprising, but always disappointing.

• Love 5
On 8/21/2020 at 12:43 PM, Empress1 said:

I saw a tweet by someone who was “in the room” (not sure of her role) & she said she was glad people were walking away because the room was toxic - lots of gaslighting about racism & microaggressions. Which is a given in spaces that are predominantly white, in my experience, so it’s not surprising. Racism is never surprising, but always disappointing.

Which begs the question: will the show be worth watching next season? I suppose I'll watch to support the cast, but I have a low threshold for jumping ship. 

From today's Ask Matt: Anything about All Rise‘s Luke and Emily? –Aurora
The former lovebirds did seem to be inching toward a rekindling of sorts in the latest episode, where Luke properly celebrated Emily’s birthday. Moving forward, “Luke deeply wants to follow his heart, but the fear of making mistakes is holding him back,” his portrayer, J. Alex Brinson, tells Inside Line. “However ‘life’ sometimes has a way of helping us find our true path — and Luke is in for some surprises.”

I honestly just don’t get what’s supposed to have happened between Luke and Emily. If he had broken up with her because she’s so self involved etc I’d get it but that doesn’t seem to be the reason.

• Love 2
On 8/20/2020 at 2:08 PM, Empress1 said:

NY Times is calling the writers quitting a "mutiny." A few quotes since there may be a paywall (I'm a subscriber):

• The [writers] who left the show said Mr. Spottiswood had sometimes ignored, rejected or resisted their attempts to have the characters and story lines accurately reflect the experiences of Black people and other people of color.

• The lead character was sometimes given dialogue or story lines that seemed false or offensively stereotypical, one of the writers, Ms. Edwards, said. When she told colleagues that certain scenes inaccurately depicted how a Black woman would speak or act, she was asked why the character’s race mattered, she added.

• Mr. Nayar wrote a scene in which the bailiff, played by J. Alex Brinson, and the lead character, played by Ms. Missick, discuss racist policing. Mr. Spottiswood killed the scene, arguing that such harassment was so common that it would not merit a discussion between two Black co-workers, Mr. Nayar said. After Ms. Missick complained about the omission, saying her character would look callous if she did not acknowledge what had happened to her colleague, Mr. Nayar rewrote the scene, he said. (Ms. Missick declined to comment.)

Following up on this, Deadline reports that production company Warner Bros Television has fired creator/co-showrunner Greg Spottiswood for misconduct related to the controversy with the writers https://deadline.com/2021/03/all-rise-creator-executive-producer-greg-spottiswood-fired-misconduct-allegations-offensive-comments-writers-room-1234721403/

Hopefully things will go more smoothly now with the writers and cast

• Love 5
4 hours ago, DanaK said:

Following up on this, Deadline reports that production company Warner Bros Television has fired creator/co-showrunner Greg Spottiswood for misconduct related to the controversy with the writers https://deadline.com/2021/03/all-rise-creator-executive-producer-greg-spottiswood-fired-misconduct-allegations-offensive-comments-writers-room-1234721403/

That took a whole year.  Holy heck.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

That took a whole year.  Holy heck.

And two investigations (Warner didn't find fault in the first one but said some things should be addressed)

• Love 3
On 3/25/2021 at 12:29 PM, DanaK said:

Following up on this, Deadline reports that production company Warner Bros Television has fired creator/co-showrunner Greg Spottiswood for misconduct related to the controversy with the writers https://deadline.com/2021/03/all-rise-creator-employee monitoring-producer-greg-spottiswood-fired-misconduct-allegations-offensive-comments-writers-room-1234721403/

Hi, I also read that the production company Warner Bros Television fired it's creator. Recently, I came across an article about how things went for Greg Spottiswood. Let's hope that Warner Bros proves themselves

I've watched both seasons of the show, and it's so apparent that the wheels have fallen off the bus in this season.  I would be surprised if it's renewed.  Shame, too, since there was some great black talent behind and in front of the camera.  Spottiswood sounds like a real piece of work.  

• Love 1

I’m saddened but not surprised. This show had so much potential so it’s disappointing. Way too much focus on Emily who was utterly hateful. All the other storylines became so stupid.

• Love 9

So very many thanks to Empress1 for the link to the behind the scenes story.

I admit to being horrified at what was going on behind the scenes as related in the link.  How tragic.

The show was 'must see tv' for me in season 1 and not so much in season 2 as too much devolved into soap opera.

I am so sorry for the very talented cast betrayed by ignorant leadership.

I tend to really like shows that have interesting starting story lines and a support cast that is every bit as talented as the leads and is given story lines that allow that to shine.  

I will now always regret what the show could have been with different 'leadership'.

I hope the cast can all find great work to pursue, and, of course, the writers who put up with so much in an effort to write a truly great show - may they all get great opportunities to amaze.

• Love 5
On 5/13/2021 at 4:40 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

I've watched both seasons of the show, and it's so apparent that the wheels have fallen off the bus in this season.  I would be surprised if it's renewed.  Shame, too, since there was some great black talent behind and in front of the camera.  Spottiswood sounds like a real piece of work.  

He definitely ruined his own creation by fostering a hostile work environment. He didn't do that alone though since it went on for so much longer after news of what was going on broke.

I'm also peeved that CBS kept another show with another problematic white male star on their schedule.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I'm also peeved that CBS kept another show with another problematic white male star on their schedule.

This is what gets me.  They had a great concept and a great cast.  It was probably the most diverse thing they had on air both in front of the camera and behind the camera. 

Rumor has it that it was cancelled because of all the bad press.  So because they refused to take action on a white misogynistic show runner who hired people of color to dismiss them or be outright cruel to them, CBS decided to punish the show for their failure of not demanding WB make changes after the whole writers' room walked.

Cancellations suck in general but this one really irks me.

• Love 6
(edited)

White guy continually fails upward. People of Color and women get canceled at first opportunity. Repeat as necessary until the cycle gets broken

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 6