Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E25: Hana Mao ʻole ka ua o Waianae (Endlessly Pours the Rain of Waianae)

• Start Topic

Five-0 continues to hunt down escaped criminal Aaron Wright (Joey Lawrence) before he can sell cyber-weapons to the highest bidder. Also, the lives of McGarrett and the team are put in danger when a visitor comes to headquarters to make amends, on the ninth season finale of Hawaii Five-0, Friday, May 17th (at a special time, 10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Jimmy Buffett returns as Frank Bama.

Original Airdate: May 17, 2019

SOURCE: https://cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=52547

So, is Danny gonna bitch that Steve better not have gotten shot in “his/their liver” again? I’m assuming it was Steve who was shot,  as he offered to walk the lady & her son to their car.  I’m also assuming the shooter ran after shooting Steve because we heard Danny say “Oh God!”, or “Oh my God!”, as if he found Steve, over the “fade to black” credits (before the credits that play with the end theme) & there was no other gunshot indicating Danny may have been/was shot as well.

(edited)
35 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

So, is Danny gonna bitch that Steve better not have gotten shot in “his/their liver” again? I’m assuming it was Steve who was shot,  as he offered to walk the lady & her son to their car.  I’m also assuming the shooter ran after shooting Steve because we heard Danny say “Oh God!”, or “Oh my God!”, as if he found Steve, over the “fade to black” credits (before the credits that play with the end theme) & there was no other gunshot indicating Danny may have been/was shot as well.

It could have been Jerry that was hit as he was walking towards Steve's office and he hollered "GUN"

This is just before the shot was fired:

vlcsnap-00013.jpg

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1

My guess is that Jerry was the one who got shot - but they want us to think it was Steve.  Jerry seemed to be getting the hero edit, so he is doomed.

When the gang was at the mall(?), while the missile warning was going on,  the streets were crowded.  Then, mere minutes later, while racing to the airport, the roads were clear.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I don't mind Steve being willing to meet with the wife and the son. That's totally in character with him, but come on, you gotta do a thorough search job on them first. 

I agree that it was likely Jerry who was shot. Hopefully he survives. 

• Love 5

This was such a "meh" season finale. So much convoluted computer/weapons/incidental characters only there to be blown away stuff, and a re-used 'villain' who is totally uninspiring. I realise it must be hard to keep coming up with decent end of season episodes - or indeed any episodes - (except, that is what writers are paid for isn't it?) and it must be odd for them to be working away without knowing that the show would be renewed, but this was weak. The victim is clearly not Steve, it's Jerry, but I really don't care. 

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Roselle said:

This was such a "meh" season finale. So much convoluted computer/weapons/incidental characters only there to be blown away stuff, and a re-used 'villain' who is totally uninspiring. I realise it must be hard to keep coming up with decent end of season episodes - or indeed any episodes - (except, that is what writers are paid for isn't it?) and it must be odd for them to be working away without knowing that the show would be renewed, but this was weak. The victim is clearly not Steve, it's Jerry, but I really don't care. 

For what it's worth the show has been renewed for season 10.

35 minutes ago, snarkylady said:

I wonder if they shot two different endings, one to use if they were renewed and one if they weren't.  I can't imagine last night's show being the end of the series.

Last night was another Season Finale, not the Series Finale. The show was renewed earlier this past week (I think, or the week before) for Season 10. But I get your point the writers wouldn’t have known the show’s status for next season when writing the episode.

(edited)

I also think it was Jerry who got shot. I hope it's not because Jorge Garcia wanted out. 

It feels like at first, the vibe was that 5-0 are awesome at what they do and the "WTF" moments were either regular "hey, that's not how it works" or because they were portrayed as too awesome (doing crazy spectacular things when there was much easier way to deal with the situation), which was fun in a way, but the writers run out of ideas for that. So, now, 5-0 seem pretty average most of the time and "WTF" moments are still either regular inconsistencies or "how could they mess up so badly." First Jerry doesn't discover the spyware, then they let in an armed woman with a possible personal grudge and whose reason for coming is unconventional... 

BTW, who is Adam's new old lady friend? I don't remember her at all... 

Edited by pinkglove
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, pinkglove said:

BTW, who is Adam's new old lady friend? I don't remember her at all... 

I believe she's the daughter of the Yakuza boss from a few episodes back. She was to be married and her intended husband turned up missing/dead. I may be wrong, but, I believe she was to have been married (arranged) to Adam sometime in the past, but he declined due to her family ties.

1 hour ago, pinkglove said:

It feels like at first, the vibe was that 5-0 are awesome at what they do .. 

That was my thought when Duke told Steve the SWAT team had taken down the bad guys.  If SWAT can manage that, why the hell do they need Five-O playing sniper and whatnot? 

Did anyone not see the “twist” at the end as soon as they saw the kid’s backpack?  Although I guessed bomb, not gun.

When I saw Ian sneak on the plane, I swear I wondered how he knew it was gassed up.  I would think planes just sitting on the tarmac would not be fueled up, in case of an accident on the tarmac, weather issues (like hurricanes/freak winds) or theft (of plane or fuel); so, to me anyway, it would make sense that unless a plane were being prepped for immediate use, the tank would be (close to) empty.

• Love 1

The wife's gun was a ghost gun, made with a 3D printer out of plastic so it wouldn't have set off the metal detector that she had to walk through to get into 5-0. That was the only techy thing that was mildly interesting to me, since it's fairly realistic and I'm kind of over the impossible hacking that Jerry and the bad guys can do every week.

At this point, I only care about Junior, Tani, Grover, Duke, Noelani, and the Kamekona cousins. I also want to know the backstory on Junior's dad's prosthetic leg and huge facial scar. Steve, Danny, Adam, and Jerry could disappear and I wouldn't miss them.

If they did film alternate endings in case this turned out to be the series finale, I like to think it was Junior showing up at Tani's and Adam at Tamiko's, as we saw, with the alternate ending being Danny going home to Rachel, and then Steve at home with Eddie, both of them chowing down on some oversized food item.

34 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

When I saw Ian sneak on the plane, I swear I wondered how he knew it was gassed up.  I would think planes just sitting on the tarmac would not be fueled up, in case of an accident on the tarmac, weather issues (like hurricanes/freak winds) or theft (of plane or fuel); so, to me anyway, it would make sense that unless a plane were being prepped for immediate use, the tank would be (close to) empty.

You are being much too logical.

7 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

I don't mind Steve being willing to meet with the wife and the son. That's totally in character with him, but come on, you gotta do a thorough search job on them first. 

For such a crack team, Fice-0 is dumb AF. And 'computer genius' Jerry doesn't have massive security on his computer FFS?! I laughed that Jerry actually hacked the plane because, no, but it was the other guys hack anyway. 

Cool motorcycle chase though. You'd think Wright would wear a hat and shave being very distinctive with a shaved head and full beard. 

I thought it was cool they used the fake alert since it actually happened irl. 

I actually wanted him to get away. They really haven't had a good recurring villain on the show. Wo Fat doesn't really count since he was essentially just a piece of plot. 

The guy playing Jun did a good job of being frayed out about the dad. I figured the cliche ending would be the dad pointing the gun at the guy and Jun having to shoot him or arrest him or something, but I liked how this played out. 

Didn't waste too much time with Adam and the new woman did they? 

That ending was ridiculously silly. I did notice the specialized gun, but they didn't search the bags at all when she got there? Plus, when she shot the gun she totally jerked it up so I can't imagine she did more damage than hit the light. *And* Danny was close enough to tackle her. 

1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

I also want to know the backstory on Junior's dad's prosthetic leg and huge facial scar.

I just assume they happened due to the car accident that killed Junior's sister.

2 hours ago, preeya said:

I believe she's the daughter of the Yakuza boss from a few episodes back. She was to be married and her intended husband turned up missing/dead. I may be wrong, but, I believe she was to have been married (arranged) to Adam sometime in the past, but he declined due to her family ties.

Thanks. It's surprising that it disappeared from my mind so quickly, if it was only a few episodes back. I might have missed that one somehow. 

I forgot to mention that one thing I liked about this episode was Jerry telling Aaron that it was his brother's trick. But it also made me remember that Ian was way cooler than Aaron. 

• Love 1

Junior does not need his father. Even though it is understandable how he could not forgive his own son now an only child over his sister/daughter's killer. But really Junior and everybody on Five 0 have family issues

However that of in the ending, using your own son to shoot at whoever. Poor boy as he will  be forever traumatized there. As what kind of mother would do that.

Danny should had tackled her but that really hope it is not Jerry. And that Steve you know will  not die as he is the star of the show.

But really love Jerry! 

1 hour ago, Passepartout said:

However that of in the ending, using your own son to shoot at whoever. Poor boy as he will  be forever traumatized there. As what kind of mother would do that.

Didn't the kid see the dad die previously? I wouldn't be surprised if the mother brought him in on it.

I doubt anyone is going to be killed off unless they want to leave the show. Five-0 is largely bullet proof. Steve's been wounded plenty, so him getting shot seems trivial. Jerry is clearly more likely, but it's just as likely Steve tackles him and he only gets grazed. OR she hits the kid by accident. Oh, I hope the show has the stones to go there. There's no way she gets off a second shot with Danny so close. 

• Love 1

We all know Steve won't die if he get's shot but I'm voting for Jerry as the shooting victim anyway.  Long shot second place vote Grover or Duke - I know they weren't there that's what it's a long shot just a "what if" they walked in the door behind Steve and Jerry who both ducked as the gun went off.  But I'm mostly voting for Jerry because the Steve shot, Steve in danger has been done just a little too much, I think especially after the multiple bullet wounds and needs a new liver plot that doesn't seem like that long ago (even though it's been a few seasons) to have it be Steve, yet again, is a bit anti-climactic and been there done that.

It would be a cool surprising twist if it were Danny - if he somehow tried to grab the women, the gun went off and his dark screen "Oh my God" was him looking down to see he'd been hit.  I'll put that at third place super long shot but you never know.

Anyway for a season finale it was pretty good, not groundbreaking but fun enough since H5O has always been more about escapism than reality.  Actually I think Joey Lawrence makes a great bad guy and the poison on the gloves thing was a nice little twist too.  If there was a logical way for him to come back in the future I wouldn't mind.  Ballsy of them to do a false alarm missile warning but I guess enough time has passed, it's been over a year since the real false missile alert it's probably not too insensitive to do it now.

Throwing out an alternate idea on the whole who got shot thing....we should throw the little boy into the mix of theories, it's plausible that he jumped up and ran in front of his Mom as the fun went off

13 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

We all know Steve won't die if he get's shot but I'm voting for Jerry as the shooting victim anyway.  Long shot second place vote Grover or Duke - I know they weren't there that's what it's a long shot just a "what if" they walked in the door behind Steve and Jerry who both ducked as the gun went off.  But I'm mostly voting for Jerry because the Steve shot, Steve in danger has been done just a little too much, I think especially after the multiple bullet wounds and needs a new liver plot that doesn't seem like that long ago (even though it's been a few seasons) to have it be Steve, yet again, is a bit anti-climactic and been there done that.

It would be a cool surprising twist if it were Danny - if he somehow tried to grab the women, the gun went off and his dark screen "Oh my God" was him looking down to see he'd been hit.  I'll put that at third place super long shot but you never know.

Anyway for a season finale it was pretty good, not groundbreaking but fun enough since H5O has always been more about escapism than reality.  Actually I think Joey Lawrence makes a great bad guy and the poison on the gloves thing was a nice little twist too.  If there was a logical way for him to come back in the future I wouldn't mind.  Ballsy of them to do a false alarm missile warning but I guess enough time has passed, it's been over a year since the real false missile alert it's probably not too insensitive to do it now.

Unless, as you said, Grover or Duke (or somebody else) was hit by the bullet, the most logical victim has to be Steve &/or Jerry. Theoretically, it could be both if they were standing close together enough & the bullet entered 1 person, exited them, & still had enough energy left to enter a second person, probably without exiting.

I honestly don’t see it being Danny. I’ll have to go back & watch on the CBS app again, but I only remember hearing 1 shot. There weren’t enough shots to “cover” everyone where the shooter started or moved through before actually shooting. Therefore, in my opinion, Danny’s “Oh God!/Oh my God!” was in reaction to seeing whether Steve, Jerry, or even both, was (were) the victim(s).

3 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Throwing out an alternate idea on the whole who got shot thing....we should throw the little boy into the mix of theories, it's plausible that he jumped up and ran in front of his Mom as the fun went off

She physically pushed him out of the way and the gun was at her eye level. Not that the show wouldn't do that but from what was on screen I don't see that as plausible. 

Shooting Victim Theories (continued)...That seems to be the only mystery here, although the entire show was focused on a forgiveness/revenge theme on several of the storylines. I was a little surprised to see the look on Junior's face, did he think his Dad, who has been grieving over his daughter's death was just going to say "well, yeah, life goes on and we'll just forget about it". I think Junior could have read his statement at the parole hearing, and said that he was speaking for his Father. He could have then made his own speech about forgiveness, and left it to the Board to decide. I think he did his Father a disservice in going off "script". His Father deserved to have his feelings heard, as they have painfully tried to impart the impact on him.

I do like the Aaron Wright villain, and hope he is back for more. He has some good lines, and seems absolutely heartless and conniving. I was REALLY hoping for a scene with him and Eric (real life brothers) but if they bring him back then that chance is still on the table. I was unclear whether that was his plane that he purchased to fly off the island, or he just stumbled upon the one jet that he learned how to fly via simulator that was gassed up and ready for takeoff? Jerry said there were only 3 on the island, seems he could have found out who owned them and consequently had the one at the airport where Aaron was heading disabled/locked down? Hey, it is 5-0, plot holes are a given.

I also like the Adam/Tomiko interaction, it's about time he gets a storyline outside of being kidnapped/beaten up regularly.

I think I will buy stock in Kona Brewing Company, given all of the great product placement they keep getting on the show.

I was going to offer up the kid as the shooting victim but Ganesh beat me to it. However, there are several rules on network television and one is that you never show children being hurt or injured. Since it was off-camera, okay, maybe the censors give them a pass if it was the kid. When Steve and the team stormed the building where the Father was holed up, with his pathetic security force, he was only wounded. McGarrett refused to kill him.

As for how the kid would be shot...Mom is holding the gun at shoulder level, and it is a very short kid. The gun is shown being shot and the recoil makes it point upwards. I would like to see McGarrett duck, and the bullet hits Jerry's badge, deflecting and hitting the kid. Or, the bullet does hit Jerry who collapses and falls on the kid, squashing him like a bug. I think Jerry is one of the few characters who hasn't been shot yet, so he is due. Naturally, if it is the kid who is shot, McGarrett jumps into action and saves his life, driving home the message of forgiveness and not revenge. It will be interesting to see which side of that see-saw is tilted in the Premiere.

Another "just rewards" scenario would be for the bullet to blow up the gun, especially if it is the plastic model, severely injuring/killing the Mom. Since you don't hear anyone scream out in pain after the bullet is fired, that is another theory. Regardless of how tough you are, if you get shot, especially unexpectedly, I would think you emit a noise or at least some surprise.

With Season 10 coming up, I really hope all of the principal actors/producers make a real effort to try to match the original 12-year run, but make sure they announce Season 12 will be the last in honor/respect of the original. Despite many shortcomings, I love the scenery and characters, looking forward to some repeats and catching up on re-watching Season 9 over the summer break.

I would REALLY love to see them do more filming on the other islands next season. When they had the episode with Max and the visit to the Big Island, I was thrilled to see so many familiar sites. People who visit Hawaii, I'm sure, would also love to see some familiar sites from the other islands, like the wharf in Lahaina, Haleakala, South Point, etc.

That's a wrap.

• Love 1

Yeah as really think that they could chase season 12's record. But really the ending, me thinks it is Jerry. Hope he does not get killed off. He is one of my favorites.

I kind of wonder if Danny did jump that woman and really how heartless she was to use on that of her own "child" or she just kidnapped one to fool Five 0.

But really Junior and his father need to sit down and talk. Learn a lesson, life is too short.

I was really surprised by the shooting at the end.  I bought the forgiveness scene hook, line, and sinker.  

I tend to enjoy this show-it's not in my top "five" but I do enjoy it for the scenery, interpersonal relationship (not as much Steve/Danny as the others) and that it still surprises me sometimes.  All I ask for a Friday night show.

• Love 2

I'm going on record to state that Adam's new girlfriend is going to turn out to be bad news.  There was something about how she greeted him at the door that telegraphed that to me.  We'll see...

I'm pretty sure whomever was shot is going to be OK.  If it was Steve, maybe we'll get some "Steve's alternate fantasy life" fever dreams while he's in a coma in the ICU.  I enjoyed his hallucinations when Wo Fat was torturing him, and Danny's dreams when he was shot.  If it was Jerry, then maybe we'll get some "Jerry saves the day" film noir fantasies while he's in a coma in ICU.  Either way, I'm hoping for some AU fantasy sequences next season!

• Love 1
On 5/18/2019 at 3:54 PM, Passepartout said:

Junior does not need his father. Even though it is understandable how he could not forgive his own son now an only child over his sister/daughter's killer. But really Junior and everybody on Five 0 have family issues

I'll go one further and say that Junior should have arrested his father for attempted murder. Imagine if you walked up to a random cop, showed them your loaded gun and told them you were going to shoot a person but you chickened out.

On 5/19/2019 at 6:56 PM, GustheCat said:

Or, the bullet does hit Jerry who collapses and falls on the kid, squashing him like a bug.

Remember a few seasons ago when Jerry figured out that there was some conspiracy going on in a bookstore and ended up getting kidnapped by the bad guys? They should have done this back then. The baddies were behind Jerry as they were leading him up a set of stairs. I can picture him saying "You guys are forgetting something... fat people are hard to kidnap!" Squish squish squish.

On 5/20/2019 at 7:00 PM, HurricaneVal said:

I'm going on record to state that Adam's new girlfriend is going to turn out to be bad news.  There was something about how she greeted him at the door that telegraphed that to me.  We'll see...

When she was introduced, we had already pretty much written how they were going to handle it. Adam was going to be interested in her and then, at the end of the episode, he DOES have that drink with her father that her father mentioned before. It will be all, "Duh duh duh....is Adam really turning evil?" and then it will turn out to be him working undercover to take the criminal empire down, even if it means breaking his new girlfriend's heart.

On 5/18/2019 at 5:14 PM, pinkglove said:

I forgot to mention that one thing I liked about this episode was Jerry telling Aaron that it was his brother's trick. But it also made me remember that Ian was way cooler than Aaron. 

While true, Nick Jonas is also a lot busier than Joey Lawrence. 😉 By the way, I can't believe we have STILL not yet seen the Lawrence brothers interact in an episode! Booo! They also wasted Matthew Lawrence earlier this season in a minor role (but I guess they could also have him play a different character later on. Nobody will remember his super minor role from this season). 

On 5/18/2019 at 5:11 PM, kassygreene said:

If it was a plastic or ceramic or 3-D printed gun, it was probably mocked to look like a toy gun - it was in the kid's backpack and she pulled it out as she was pushing him out of the way.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, with the plastic gun angle, they at least ATTEMPTED to explain how it went down, but come on, no way you even let a TOY gun get through your security. You just hold the bag until they leave.

• Love 1

Aliʻiōlani Hale (the Palace where H50 is headquartered and in real life the Hawaii State Supreme Court resides - not to be confused with ʻIolani Palace, which was the headquarters for the original H5O and is now a public museum) is from a (Show) security standpoint somewhat porous.  In no particular order the entire building has been gassed; it's been taken over by a Mexican drug cartel, I believe a few people have been offed (at least one in interrogation?), and McGarrett, with the full weight of law enforcement coming in to arrest him after the Governor was murdered, was able to escape over the rooftop.  

Non-metal weapons are a real and yet-to-be-solved problem, and I agree, the kid's backpack would have been searched and the gun held.  It certainly would not have been allowed as carry-on in a plane, and really, toy guns need to fade away as A Thing.

I loved my cap pistol.  I loved the smell of burnt caps.  I grew up on Westerns and war movies.  If I still had had it in the last thirty years, I would have "given" it to a landfill.

That's the thing. They could have met at the food truck or something, and still have it play out the same. It's just ridiculous she's able to get the gun in there. 

• Love 2

Jerry literally walked right into it. No way he wasn't the one who was shot.

And what a great mom, leaving her child parent-less. Your thirst for revenge superseded your love of your child and showing him the true value of forgiveness. What a sweet-faced little boy who will be scarred for life. 

But maybe now that he's rid of his two hateful parents, he may have a chance to grow up and be a good person. Perhaps Steve can adopt him as well.

And WTF Junior's dad? Seriously? You have one child left, and you're disowning him? If there were an award given for perfect child, he'd win it. 

I do hope Dad comes around and realizes his hate only hurts him. 

But it was an interesting contrast with Junior's dad/the mom who did take revenge. Both of them letting their hate eat them up inside to the point they were ready to kill for it and ruin their own lives, as well as their family's. I also thought for sure Dad would at least attempt to kill the guy, and Junior would have to get in the middle of it, so I was relieved when he found his dad.

Again family issues with all of the Five 0 cast members with the exception of Lou. Lou despite that of what happened in Chicago, seems to be the most level headed of the cast

Junior really needed a hug. Shippers for him and Tani

Wonder if Danny jumped on the "mother" and looking back Jerry was behind Steve. But then again Steve could had taken the bullet but not be killed as the star.

On 5/18/2019 at 12:49 PM, preeya said:

They were never arranged.  But she did mention that there was talk about them getting together to unite the Yakuza families and that it would be good for business.  They obviously are setting them up here to get together.  I have no interest in the Adam character so I couldn't care less.

Hoping that Jerry makes it.  If Jerry is gone, who becomes the hacker?  Joey Lawrence?  Sort of like a Rich Dotcom of Blindspot scenario where the criminal joins the team?  Can't see it.  Wright killed two people and had others killed.  Just no way to spin that in any fashion.

I think they said both sets of parents were very supportive of them getting together when they were younger. Not technically an arranged marriage but strongly encouraged. 

On 5/18/2019 at 10:49 AM, preeya said:

I believe she's the daughter of the Yakuza boss from a few episodes back. She was to be married and her intended husband turned up missing/dead.

I find it a little creepy that they are showing sparks between them when her fiancee was just killed.

• Love 1

Yeah as really something wrong there when Adam was moving on from Kono. And that his new girlfriend there. As he does need to be happy. But that he needs to not be involved with anybody in the mob over it. As that he is now with Five 0.