Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E21: Stuck as Foretold

Bort
  • Start Topic

When the hospital has a severe blood shortage, Conrad must try every avenue to save a patient's life. Nic receives devastating news and is left worrying about her sister's health, while Mina and Devon work with a new anesthesiologist who is not what she seems. Elsewhere, Kit considers the future of her intertwining relationships and Bell has an encounter with a woman from his past.

Airdate: Monday, April 22, 2019

Gonorr-knee-a! That entire plot was amazing! I think they've made Bell too nice, though. 

Nic's plot is dumb and predictable. I feel like if you've seen TV before you knew the dad was going to be a match, would lie, Nic would find out and there'd be a fight and he'd finally leave for good. 

• Like 1
  • Love 12

Is everyone waiting to see Bell's other face again?

Some shows would have Nic's father die in a car accident, so her sister would get his kidney after all. Then the sister would relapse ...

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Driad said:

Some shows would have Nic's father die in a car accident, so her sister would get his kidney after all. Then the sister would relapse ...

I'm probably not a good person for saying this but, if my sis needed a kidney and got my dying father's kidney and then relapsed and needed ANOTHER kidney... I'd be sending her to the kidney store. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 11
18 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I think they've made Bell too nice, though. 

7 minutes ago, Driad said:

Is everyone waiting to see Bell's other face again?

Yes to both of these!  He's such a good jerkoff! Please don't turn him into Mr Rogers!

Bell is meant to be a morally corrupt egomaniac, who can occasionally impersonate a human being.  Lately he's just boring!

• Like 1
  • Love 3

And Nic's dad does as expected. I admit though, I didn't expect Dr. Send Me Your Poor Huddled Masses to immediately go to "I know people who will sell you kidneys".

Nic's dad was indeed being a selfish ass as always but at the same time, Nic really isn't having a realistic vision of what will happen. If the sister gets a kidney, it could reject. If it doesn't reject, she will be on lifelong medication that will impact her life negatively.  

I get the blood donation problem, I really do.... but do all hospitals have hyperbaric chambers?

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I still don’t care for Alec poaching Nic even under the guise of being “colleagues”; he has ulterior motives no matter how innocuous he seems to be.   And yes, agree with another poster – he “knows a guy” who just happens to be able to get a kidney?  Yeah, the old black market trope as already done on L & O SVU and probably countless other shows.  Alec is unscrupulous and is still playing on Nic’s emotions even though she is being a bit of an idiot right now, imo.  

Even though Nic’s dad has been MIA most of their life, I should have known he wouldn’t be genuine or the voice of reason.  Of course, he proved to be the selfish asshat he is.   Hey, if Bell can change…but more on that in a second, lol!   I'm just not a fan of this whole storyline with Nic's sister.

And the ancillary stories:  Conrad donating his blood to save the patient – truly an unselfish act; Raptor’s effects from the hyperbaric chamber revealing an unsettling time in his life (glad Mena will be “angry” for him!) were good.

And yep, agree with other posters – WTH is going on with Bell?   Do I really have to grow accustomed to—and sadly accept—this “new & improved’ version of Bell which I don’t understand at all the 180 degree change in behavior and demeanor.   What, did I miss some kind of out-of-body experience to make him mend his evil, manipulative ways??

• Love 2

I kinda don't blame Nic's dad for not giving up his kidney, figuring that his daughter would probably relapse.  Sure, he's an ass, but in this case I think he thought long and hard to be one and decided naaah.  However, it was best for him to leave and Nic did the right thing putting him out.

I knew Alec was creepy but now he's downright unethical.  He's going to get Nic in a lot of trouble, but I really don't care about her or her sister.   

• Love 8
30 minutes ago, darockwilder said:

I think that other Dr. is actually planning to steal a kidney from a hobo.  This Mr. Helper thing is just a huge act.

OR maybe he's got them stockpiled on ice in his Winnebago!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I think the show wasted a real opportunity with the kidney storyline. It would have been much more nuanced if their dad wasn't a screw-up. A present and selflessly loving parent, genuinely conflicted about giving their addict child a kidney, would have been WAY more interesting, to say the least. The questions of, "am I being an enabler to my child by consenting to this? Am I willing to take a trust leap this big?" No matter what side of those questions you fall on, it would have been a great thing to explore and I would have liked to have seen it. Instead, Dad sucks and his pragmatism reads selfish and now Dr. Creep is going to insert himself by luring Nic into an alleyway and showing her the kidneys he has hanging inside his trenchcoat. Thanks, I kinda hate it.

You know...I think I might have switched sides on Mina and The Raptor. There is something very sweet their conversation at the end of the episode. I'm certain I've had the same conversation with my fella. I...I think I might ship it now. I'm sorry, you guys. I tried to not ship it. But I ship it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, Risky Librarian said:

I think the show wasted a real opportunity with the kidney storyline. It would have been much more nuanced if their dad wasn't a screw-up. A present and selflessly loving parent, genuinely conflicted about giving their addict child a kidney, would have been WAY more interesting, to say the least.

That would be much more interesting and dramatic. I actually know someone who was going to donate a kidney to their sister but decided against it because the spouse opposed it. Heartbreaking. 

I am really tired of Conrad superhero, Conrad the savior of all causes, Conrad the resident that orders attendants, surgeons around. Seriously, did the writers forget the name of the show? There is no process to schedule the hyperbaric chamber, no paperwork, no attendant signing off on it, then he orders everyone to CALL AUSTIN! which is promptly done and then the biggest surgeon in the hospital shows up because he probably just sits around waiting for Conrad to need him. 

The blood transfusion was a lawsuit in the making, if this show had an ounce of sense. Someone with the knowledge please clarify this: I thought that blood, after donated, goes through a process before it can actually be given to someone else. And that direct donations like the one in the episode are not always possible - and would it go in a bag, instead of being actually body to body? I am not sure of any of that because I know I have seen direct donation in another show.

I have no idea of how things ended with Nic's dad (after she started yelling at him) because I fell asleep and was too uninterested to go back and watch is again.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, alexvillage said:

I have no idea of how things ended with Nic's dad (after she started yelling at him) because I fell asleep and was too uninterested to go back and watch is again.

She kicked him out of the house. He left, nothing more.

• Love 2

I wonder if the show is setting Bell up for some great test. He's been doing a lot of good lately and now he's in a situation where he has several people thinking he's good. Will be interesting if he ends up facing some big test and then we can see what direction they will take with him.

I do like Kit and the ex husband though. He's SUCH a nice guy!

It's very over the top and unrealistic but I enjoyed the "Conrad is a hero" thing. They really got flamboyant with that storyline.

No Nic no. Do not engage in shady plans to get your garbage sister a kidney. I wish she would have some epiphany about garbage sister (highly unlikely) so now I am wishing for garbage sister to die (maybe offed by that shady new girl Devon likes) to just move the hell out of town. I do not find this story compelling AT ALL, especially since I have a lovely, sane little sister whom I raised and adore! 

I really love the Mina and Raptor storyline and interactions. They've built it slowly and steadily, lots of nice moments and conversations. It will feel earned if they go there and if they don't it is still a great friendship. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Speaking of the shady new intern(?)  with the bad jokes, why did she refuse to put the drug in the tube for that patient?  I wonder if he's going to die. 

I think she just shorted his dose and kept the rest. Wondering if it's for her or she's supplying someone else?

Also, I thought she is an anesthesiologist, so why is she giving IV drugs to a patient who is not in the OR?

Edited by preeya
  • Like 1
  • Love 9
5 minutes ago, preeya said:

I think she just shorted his dose and kept the rest. Wondering if it's for her or she's supplying someone else?

The furry patient* had, what, peritonitis? I have no idea, but would he be getting painkiller intravenously? I assume he'd be given antibiotics, but surely the intern (or whatever she is, the one who makes terrible jokes) wouldn't want those for her own use or 'resale'?

Either way, I'm disappointed, because I kind of like her with Dev. But shorting antibiotics is dangerous, and shorting painkiller is just plain cruel.

* Nice to see the amorous assistant pathologist Terrence from The Closer.

• Love 2

Also, I thought she is an anesthesiologist, so why is she giving IV drugs to a patient who is not in the OR?

Ah, Chastain Memorial. Try not to think about reality too much when you watch this show (or New Amsterdam).

How about Conrad's heroics out in the woods? Looked to me like he did the stunt (jumping down to the victim). Matt C. must take after Tom Cruise in wanting to do the work himself.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

All I know is, if I were a patient at that hospital, I would not appreciate having a doctor around me telling lame ass jokes, so I don't want that new intern to wind up with Devon.  She's too kooky, and might actually be a druggie or a killer. 

• Like 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

How about Conrad's heroics out in the woods? Looked to me like he did the stunt (jumping down to the victim). Matt C. must take after Tom Cruise in wanting to do the work himself.

Maybe but as much as I loathe Tom Cruise, I do think he is a good actor. MC, not even close to being ok.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Speaking of the shady new intern(?)  with the bad jokes, why did she refuse to put the drug in the tube for that patient?  I wonder if he's going to die. 

Shades of Dirty John...er, Dirty Jane?

• Like 1
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, MsTree said:

Shades of Dirty John...er, Dirty Jane?

Exactly. When she entered the room, she said, “Mr. [Furry], you’re due for 1 milligram of hydromorphone,” then stopped halfway through administration to pocket the rest.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 4/24/2019 at 3:38 PM, Ohwell said:

She's too kooky, and might actually be a druggie or a killer. 

America's favorite medical themed game show, "Druggie or Killer?!"

(Sorry, I'm in a weird mood tonight. Knowing this show, it's probably both.)

• Love 2

I'm really liking Mina And Austin, the actors have good chemistry with each other.

Nic's been so stupid in so many ways the past few episodes, I don't blame Conrad for walking.

I thought that Devon was hung up on Julian. Not so anymore? 

Here's what I'm thinking--weird anesthesiologist chick is going to drug Devon's drink with the leftover painkiller that she didn't give squirrel guy.  Why was she even the one to administer that, anyway?

They are ret-conning Bell too much. 

On 4/24/2019 at 7:01 AM, rhys said:

I thought Kyle would find out he wasn't Jess's dad. 

I told Mrs. Torqy that he would be neither woman's father.

On another note, who are you and what have you done with Randolph Bell?

I'm siding with Nic's dad here. Addicts are selfish and with most they cross a line in which they'll never get back on the other side. That being said if he was the absentee and selfish father he's portrayed to be I'm sure he crossed the line with the girls long ago. Tear sniffing moments at a 'reunion' were never a reality.

Is the new doc a junkie or angel of death?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Am I crazy, or did they indeed have Austin with a different backstory not long ago?? I could swear he initially told Mina his birth parents were junkies who neglected him, so that when his adoptive parents took him at age five, they literally saved his life. And now they were med students??

Please tell me I'm not hallucinating...

• Like 1
On 4/29/2019 at 10:36 AM, SnarkySheep said:

Am I crazy, or did they indeed have Austin with a different backstory not long ago?? I could swear he initially told Mina his birth parents were junkies who neglected him, so that when his adoptive parents took him at age five, they literally saved his life. And now they were med students??

I vaguely recall this scene and I think that was his vision of them. Or maybe he had shitty foster parents?

• Love 1
On 5/1/2019 at 9:34 PM, Court said:
On 4/29/2019 at 10:36 AM, SnarkySheep said:

I vaguely recall this scene and I think that was his vision of them. Or maybe he had shitty foster parents?

I vaguely recall this scene also and think he said that his adoptive parents were good parents, but he seemed to assume the worst about his bio parents. That was presumably before he found actual information on his bio parents.