Type keyword(s) to search

South Park - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Not as epic as I would have liked but great ending and another fun South Park two-parter.  Interesting that PC Principal is sticking around...I wonder if this ad storyline will continue next season.  That next experiment by this show?

Loved the Shelley and Randy argument.

Gotta love Grandpa Marsh eating through the standoff. Aside from dissing the non-Whole Foods chicken earlier in the season, how long has it been since we heard from him?

I knew the Garrison/Jenner storyline would flow into next year. I wouldn't be surprised if they become the show's version of Uncle Duke from Doonesbury running in 2000.

Anybody else amused about how Cartman went up the stairs? He's like a fleshy Dalek, just hovering over the steps.

ETA for Galileo908 . . . I don't think Jimmy was armed. His hands are usually always full.

• Love 3

Best LOL for me: "Who would use a Cosby joke to push their own agenda?"

That was pretty epic. I didn't expect cliffhangers, and I wonder how current any of this will seem in 9 months when we get the next season. But I don't feel like anything important from earlier in the season was simply dropped, and that's very satisfying.   (Much better than last season, which felt like references were connected but not resolved.

Neither.  He might be Rick Deckard from Blade Runner.

The bar scene at the beginning seemed like a Steven Seagal scene to me. On Deadly Ground probably. (I could be way off, having never seen it. I just got that impression.  And beating people up for not being PC is about the most Seagal-like thing anyone's ever done.)

• Love 1

That was a fitting conclusion to Act I (To Be Continued). Whole Foods is gone, but Locally Sourced Guns are still available at Jimbo's. I kinda figured it couldn't be the end of PC yet. I've enjoyed PC Principal's evolution, so I'm glad he's not gone, and hope they pick up on some of these themes next season.

I loved the over-the-top nature of how guns solve problems. It feels that way in real life, with everyone shouting at each other and not listening. And in sort of a "I really only feel comfortable saying anything if I have a gun because I'm scared someone will take offence and ruin me."

Also, I sensed some criticism of Obama's ISIS strategy in PC Principal's final speech.

• Love 1

Heads up . . . Comedy Central will be running Christmas-themed episodes starting at 6:58 with "Merry Christmas Charlie Manson!"

What are your most/least favorite holiday eps? For least, I gotta go with "Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics." It was basically an infomercial for the album. I liked the Santa/Jesus song duel, though.

ETA: Does "#REHASH" and "#HappyHolograms" count as a single special? My gut says "no," even though it's set around Christmas, and Comedy Central is including it in the marathon.

Sorry that I didn't see this earlier. I caught some of the marathon, and for the first time saw the episode with the Christmas animals from Cartman's Christmas story... it was so wrong, but so funny.  And the reveal that it was Cartman's story was one of those "of course it is" moments.

I'm having trouble with the posting or I'd say more.. I will later.

Sorry that I didn't see this earlier. I caught some of the marathon, and for the first time saw the episode with the Christmas animals from Cartman's Christmas story... it was so wrong, but so funny.  And the reveal that it was Cartman's story was one of those "of course it is" moments.

I'm having trouble with the posting or I'd say more.. I will later.

Woodland Critter Christmas! My office lobby this year was decorated with evergreenery and stuffed bears, a beaver, a moose and a few other forest mammals. I could not get that ep out of my head for weeks.

• Love 1

This ep hits a little close to home: Freemium games were one of the things that ended my marriage. When you're five days from payday, think you have $100 in the bank and find out you only have $50 because your wife just spent the other $50 on a "bag of diamonds" from Hay Day, and this cycle is repeated endless times, including $1000 spent on Hay Day within six months...

It wasn't the only reason, mind you, but it may have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

• Love 1

Heads up for anybody hanging around here: Comedy Central will be airing a block of SP episodes tonight, and most of them are Halloween-based. There's one that isn't, and I forget the title, but it's also scary.

Anybody else get HBO? Bill Simmons interviewed Bill Hader last week on Any Given Wednesday, and Hader's honorary membership on South Park was discussed. It included the origin of "Fishsticks." There's no clip I can find online.

Anybody want to guess where the show will be going in its 20th season? I'm thinking they might veer from reality and make Garrison/Jenner a winning ticket. "Buckle up, buckaroo!!!" [cue innocent people getting run down]

• Love 1

Bumping up because I won't be up late to check Comedy Central's site every ten seconds to see a description of Wednesday's episode. If you see it, link or post it here.

ETA: Here's what I found on CC's site:

Mr. Garrison is still on the campaign trail as the National Anthem gets a reboot by an American Icon.

On the front page, there's a shot of Cartman wearing a t-shirt that says "Token's Life Matters." It's not a well-fitting shirt, because a bit of his stomach is exposed.

ETA2: Here's another clip.

Of course Randy would bet on the girl sitting down during the national anthem. Love that everyone left the game after it happened.

So of course, the response is that the national anthem should be changed. Classic South Park.

Yes, LOVE that Giant Douche vs Turd Sandwich is back. Of course Mr. Garrison is Douche, Hillary is Turd Sandwich. Life really is stranger than fiction some times, isn't it?

Cartman trying to draw a vagina on his face and messing it up was referencing something Morton Downey Jr. did with drawing a swastika on his face. That was a deep cut. Speaking of which, I loved the 'memberberries. I have a feeling this won't be the last we'll see of them. Yeah, the "feel good nostalgia" is totally a metaphor for "Make America Great Again."

So glad this is back, and I'm hoping it keeps up the craziness.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1

Kyle's dad is the troll?! Did NOT see that one coming...oh wait, he's a Yelper.

LOL everything really is getting a reboot. But those Member Berries explains A LOT about certain things going on.

Man, Garrison had better hope Drumpf loses or he is screwed (along with the rest of us).

Welcome back, South Park. We need you more than ever right now...

• Love 1

The Member Berries were initially a vaguely amusing commentary on nostalgia, which took a genuinely unexpected turn when they suddenly became a much sharper critique of the underside of yearning for the "good old days".

Arc storytelling really feels like it has given this show a new shot of energy.

• Love 1

The member berries were so cute.... did not expect that direction for them to go... but as others have said, it makes sense. The question now is, who's behind the member berries? It's not Garrison, but someone else mucking things up from behind the scenes :P Should be interesting to watch the mystery unravel...

I don't consider Matt and Trey to have the final word on relevant issues, but they do have distinctive voices. JJ Abrams rebooting the National Anthem by waiving the part about standing in attention? Nice. And I'm sure Gerald is trolling for a reason, though I can't figure out why. Blackmailed by Cartman?

• Love 1

Gerald being skankhunt had us gasping!  That ending was terrific.  I don believe Cartman is truly trying to help (it's just not his way), but maybe he took to heart what they said last season--they have to try really hard to be good.

Of course Mr. Garrison--excuse me, Mr. Douche--has no plan if elected (I never expected Caitlyn to do much outside of hitting a few constituents with her car).  I love that Mr. Douche is trying to throw the election.  And just the callback to Douche vs. Turf Sandwich was awesome. 

The Member Berries were cute but creepy, even before the memories went all everything-ist.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Gerald is Skanhunt 47?! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Loved the stuff about JJ Abrams, reboots and memberberries.

Noticed Cartman taking a peek at the toilet after Kyle used it!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa is close, but really......

Wha Wha Wha WHATTTTTTTTTTTT!                  tm Sheila

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Calling it: The Member Berries are from Whole Foods. One last act of revenge, and that's why everyone's hiding them.

I was hoping someone else would say this about the Member Berries, but I guess its on me.

Think about the word Member.  Now think about the word Berries.  Now think about what Cartman drew on his face.

And Cartman was on a crusade about women not being funny.  And the member berries were talking about some movie reboots with all female casts or continuations where a female was moved to prominence.

I'm not so far gone as to Zapruder the scene, but I bet Gerald was drinking member berry wine and skankhunt42 is the end stage of the member berry consumption.

Yes, I'm saying that member berries are some heretofore unknown purple creature's balls intent on creating a gender war.

In unrelated news, I spent an inordinate amount of time wondering if South Park would have to make Mr Garrison President if Trump got elected.

• Love 5

Lots of stuff going on. This season could be going somewhere brilliant, but it would be too easy to leave some stuff and never resolve it. Making Gerald the troll not only raises the question of "why him?" but demands an explanation of what Cartman's up to as well.  And tying nostalgia to Trump is a very clever angle that never occurred to me. But I don't see a connection to the kids plot or what role PC Principal still has to play.

Yes, I'm saying that member berries are some heretofore unknown purple creature's balls intent on creating a gender war.

. . . has anybody seen Barney lately?

In unrelated news, I spent an inordinate amount of time wondering if South Park would have to make Mr Garrison President if Trump got elected.

No, Mr. Garrison would wake up to find the last two seasons to be a dream. And Patrick Duffy in his shower.

• Love 2

@Galileo908  I swear I hadn't looked at your photo icon before I quoted you.  Hangs head in shame.

Unless....  Are you an ad? Are you in league with Whole Foods to take over South Park and that is how you know their dastardly plan?

Edited by ParadoxLost
This post would have been funnier if I could have found evidence that Grape Ape lives in Imaginationland.
  • Love 2

I think playing the anthem at domestic sporting events is kind of dumb and just a relic of "we do this because this is the way it has already been done", so getting rid of it is ok with me, though I know impossible. So having them redefine, reboot, what counts as "honoring America" was a fitting resolution. 

Kyle's dad being the troll was a surprise, but puts Cartman's plan into mystery for me. You know he's up to something. 

3 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I was hoping someone else would say this about the Member Berries, but I guess its on me.

Think about the word Member.  Now think about the word Berries.  Now think about what Cartman drew on his face.

And Cartman was on a crusade about women not being funny.  And the member berries were talking about some movie reboots with all female casts or continuations where a female was moved to prominence.

I'm not so far gone as to Zapruder the scene, but I bet Gerald was drinking member berry wine and skankhunt42 is the end stage of the member berry consumption.

In unrelated news, I spent an inordinate amount of time wondering if South Park would have to make Mr Garrison President if Drumpf got elected.

Oh that's a really good theory. You might be on to something.

And I wish I could've known the original context of the second comment. This avatar is actually from an episode of Dexter's Lab, where Animatronic Grape Ape appears for all of five seconds.

Hey guys, 'member the episode with Giant Douche vs. Turd Sandwich? That was awesome...

And, and, 'member the episode where it turned out McCain and Obama were actually working together? I 'member!!

I would love if--to commemorate 20 years--they use the member berries to call back to random episodes.

• Love 3

I enjoyed the episode for the most part, though I did wonder why only Randy's member berries went "bad" so to speak. Maybe he hadn't taken enough and as such wasn't blissed out enough to not notice?

With regards to Gerald being the troll, I actually don't think he is, or rather I don't think he's the only one. What I think is going on is Cartman is renting out the name to various people to let them "troll" without risk of consequence while he, cartman, gets something out of the deal. The good guy act is just a cover so that even if whoever is using the name is caught somehow it cannot be traced back to him in any way

• Love 1

They obviously threw this one together quick and replaced whatever the season opener was supposed to be since the whole Kaepernick thing is less than a month old.  The first part was funny when everyone showed up for the anthem and then cleared the stands for the actual game.  After that a lot of the jokes felt kind of forced, but that happens when you rush an episode out to stay topical.  They did a good job of drawing up Kaepernick,

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Dobian said:

They obviously threw this one together quick and replaced whatever the season opener was supposed to be since the whole Kaepernick thing is less than a month old.  The first part was funny when everyone showed up for the anthem and then cleared the stands for the actual game.  After that a lot of the jokes felt kind of forced, but that happens when you rush an episode out to stay topical.  They did a good job of drawing up Kaepernick,

I think they've developed the skill of tying recent stuff into a planned plot. The election stuff, trolling, and Cartman taunting was probably planned long off. They just saw the opportunity to tie Kaepernick in and went with it.

I love how the "'Member Berries" concept works on three levels. First, as a childlike way of saying "remember," second as a euphemism for a part of anatomy discussed above. But third also as a way of alluding to privilege--you're a "member" of certain groups as a result of birth, and it's comforting or stupor-inducing to stay in those echo chambers where others had the same nostalgic experiences growing up. 

I'm sure there's eventually going to be something more sinister going on with them, but I think it depends on who actually wins the election. 

• Love 1