Leading Actor - Joaquin Phoenix
Original Score - Hildur Guđnadóttir
Casting - Shayna Markowitz
Cinematography - Rodrigo Prieto
Editing - Jeff Groth
Production Design - Mark Friedberg, Kris Moran
Make Up & Hair - Kay Georgiou, Nicki Ledermann
Sound - Tod Maitland, Alan Robert Murray, Tom Ozanich, Dean Zupancic

I like Joaquin's portrayal of the Joker.  A few quibbles about the film, however:

I'm not sure I can picture this guy being much of a match for Batman.

If you go with the "Joker made this origin story up, because his real origin must remain a mystery" idea, I'm sure the Franklin Murray incident would have been national news.  Not to mention it would be part of Arthur's medical/legal history.  The psychiatrist would have certainly been aware of it.  

Apologies if the latter part was addressed in the movie, I haven't seen it yet.  But I've seen so many clips from it, I feel like I have.

• Love 1

Are you kidding me with how many nominations this movie got?  It seems to me that critics (which is bizarre considering this movie only mustered 69% amongst them at Rotten Tomatoes) were just so desperate to like something that talked about being the anti-comic book movie that they just GUZZLED the Kool-Aid?  The answer is a resounding yes.

I saw Joker.  I liked Joker.  But I've seen much, much better movies (comic book or otherwise) than Joker, which was ordinary at best.  Oscars reward the unremarkable and the pedestrian and Todd Phillips...  

Edited by benteen
  • Love 7

Oscar nominations!

Performance by an actor in a leading role - Joaquin Phoenix

Achievement in cinematography - Lawrence Sher

Achievement in costume design - Mark Bridges

Achievement in directing - Todd Phillips

Achievement in film editing - Jeff Groth

Achievement in makeup and hairstyling - Nicki Ledermann and Kay Georgiou

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score) - Hildur Guðnadóttir

Best motion picture of the year - Todd Phillips, Bradley Cooper, and Emma Tillinger Koskoff

Achievement in sound editing - Alan Robert Murray

Achievement in sound mixing - Tom Ozanich, Dean Zupancic, and Tod Maitland

Adapted screenplay - Todd Phillips & Scott Silver

14 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

This movie did not deserve 11 nominations. At best, it deserved these two. 

And I'm not even sure Joaquin deserved that much.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

This movie did not deserve 11 nominations. At best, it deserved these two. 

I liked the movie and I'm happy for its nominations. I've loved Joaquin for a looong time so am thrilled for him. I don't know much about sound mixing or editing, but I don't quibble with those nominations. The costuming was great. The score was fantastic and there's a reason that woman is winning everything for it. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

LOL I honestly thought they'd call it "Jokerwise the Dancing Clown."

Pennywise is on a whole other level. Arthur is scary, but not extradimensional scary.

On the bright side, they worked in the “STARES” running gag done for the Twilight movies.

• LOL 1

Honest Trailers covered Men in Black International on Tuesday. It didn’t occur to me they’d do an Oscars roundup a few days later. Obviously, Joker is covered.

Heh. “White people dancing.”

Edited by Lantern7
On 10/6/2019 at 7:46 PM, Racj82 said:

The joke he gets to tell on the talk show is pure Joker.

Indeed. Only the Joker or someone as unstable as him would “get it.”

I agree with others. The Joker’s entire “experience” might’ve been a delusion. Also, I’ve seen some crazy characters portrayed in movies over the years. However, there was something profoundly disturbing about this Joker. Perhaps because he was less cartoonish (like previous versions) and though in the fake city of Gotham, he was apart of a world that was free of caped heroes, which made is more real, I guess? Anyway, I was very disturbed by this Joker. It was unnerving watching him, which is due to Joaquin’s superb portrayal of him. 

Overall, the movie was good, not outstanding. I think it was more of a character study than a movie with a character in it, if that makes sense. I thought the soundtrack was excellent as well. 

Joaquin deserves all the accolades he’s getting for this one. I hope he wins the Oscar tonight. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

In case you missed it: Joaquin Phoenix and Hildur Guðnadóttir scored Oscars tonight. Now we can debate as to which is the bigger debate: does the Academy intend on nominating one comic-based/adjacent movie per year so they look like they're "with it*"? Or did Joaquin make for a better Joker than Heath Ledger?

*Keeping in mind that recent Best Pictures include the last part of the LOTR trilogy, a fishman and a mute girl, and a movie that could have been pitched as "Hey, what if Michael Keaton never escaped the shadow of Batman?"

Just saw this on Amazon...wanted to see it for the hype and in all honesty, aside from JP's performance, I was not impressed. It felt very dull, lifeless and long and overall pointless.

The cult figure status he had seemed to echo the cult figure status that still hangs over the Columbine shooters. Other than that, that's all I got. If I wanted a character study, time piece with a violent sequence, I'll watch Once Upon a Time in Hollywood...better movie in almost every aspect...

...and two things I couldn't buy no matter how hard they sold me, no Wall Street bros would know "Send in the Clowns"...and Robert De Niro is a shitty talk show guest, he could never be a great talk show host...did not get his appeal at all....

• Love 2
(edited)

Watched it last night—great and disturbing performance by JP, but definitely overlong.  They could have edited at least 15 minutes out of it. Found myself kind of bored in spots.

as for the ending—i seem to recall the therapist, earlier in the movie, saying that Arthur had been in Arkham.  Maybe the ending was a flashback to that time?

Edited by janeta
  • Love 1

Grammy Award!

60. Best Score Soundtrack For Visual Media
Award to Composer(s) for an original score created specifically for, or as a companion to, a current legitimate motion picture, television show or series, video games or other visual media.

AD ASTRA
Max Richter, composer

BECOMING
Kamasi Washington, composer

JOKER - WINNER
Hildur Guðnadóttir, composer

Thomas Newman, composer

STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER
John Williams, composer

• Useful 1