Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5: Speculation

• Start Topic

*whispers* I found the great maester conspiracy interesting, I'd like to know more about them killing off the dragons and trying to organize an alliance between 5 of the Great Houses prior to Robert's Rebellion.

I find it compelling as well.  It's just that it's such a late development and one we don't know much about.  Unless D and D know more (and they likely do) I can't see it being part of the show.  At least not in its book form.

Precisely.  They're clearly setting it up for Sam to be doing his research on site and continue to interact with characters at the Wall-so can Gilly this way for that matter.

Not necessarily, given that episode 9's story also ends with Sam and Gilly declaring that they're going to stick together henceforth, which (particularly given the seeming absence of Mance's child) would suggest it could be setup for her going with him to Oldtown anyway.

Yeah, Sam doesn't arrive til the end of AFFC anyway, so he could leave at the end of s5 and reach Oldtown in the beginning of s6. Or just get all in one ep with this show's nonsensical travel times. I also thought the line about Sam going wherever Gilly goes or whatever is a weird addition if they're never going anywhere.

• Love 1
Unless they want to cut directly to Dany invading Westeros, combining the two invasions, like the two battles at Castle Black. But that only works if Dany DOES invade Westeros, which is pure speculation, on the part of everyone, at the moment. Maybe she conquers Volantis and founds New Valyria instead 

While I don't know if Dany will go to Westeros in TWOW or B7, I'm certain she goes at some point.

Maybe not to conquer and reclaim her family's throne.

Maybe she won't survive.

But she is at least going to go to the North and flash fry some Others. She might take the Drogon Express back to Essos' slave cities and make what she did to the Meereneese and Yunkai look merciful, but she's got to go to Westeros, even if it's to decide to relinquish her claim.

But she is at least going to go to the North and flash fry some Others. She might take the Drogon Express back to Essos' slave cities and make what she did to the Meereneese and Yunkai look merciful, but she's got to go to Westeros, even if it's to decide to relinquish her claim.

Precisely.  Now it may be possible for Dany to head back to Valyria after visiting Westeros, but go to Westeros she shall.

Also I'm betting we're going to see some Frey's this season, including Walder, (even if he didn't appear in AFFC and ADWD,) just so we can get our hate on there-and to appreciate what an awful Lord of the Riverlands he truly is.

IMHO one of the overlooked spoilers of season 4, episode 10 was Davos at the wall.

This implies the following shortcuts: House Umber will take the role of House Manderly, Rickon and Osha will end up there and Davos will be sent to get Rickon.

We won't get the fake Arya storyline, so Mance will just be burned for good since Stannis seems to be attacking the Dreadfort, being defeated and retreating to near Winterfell (if rumors turn out true). During the attack on the Dreadfort Theon will escape on his own remembering the Yara episode because of(?).

We will not get Stoneheart and the Riverlands storyline, the later being foreshadowed with Talisa. Instead we will get Jaime in Dorne and Brienne has to end up with the Brother without Banners (?).

IMHO one of the overlooked spoilers of season 4, episode 10 was Davos at the wall.

This implies the following shortcuts

No it doesn't.  Davos came to the Wall with Stannis because he's a regular castmember and the only recognizable member of Stannis' army.  If they're doing the Manderlys, he can leave for White Harbour next season.

Instead we will get Jaime in Dorne and Brienne has to end up with the Brother without Banners (?).

Why does Brienne have to end up with the Brotherhood?  The point of that in the books was Stoneheart.  If you believe there's no Stoneheart, the rest is no longer relevant.

• Love 2

This implies the following shortcuts: House Umber will take the role of House Manderly, Rickon and Osha will end up there and Davos will be sent to get Rickon.

That's my take on it...

That would suggest events in Dorne might be more extensive than we expected.  We'll be seeing more of it after Jaime leaves possibly via Bronn.  Alternatively they might need a dessert locale for Essos because of Dany and/or Tyrion.

Also...

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/07/02/michael-slovis-joins-the-lineup-of-directors-for-game-of-thrones-season-5/

This sounds good for a lot of reasons.  He's got a background in character based drama, Breaking Bad had great cinematography so the man knows his visuals, and frankly being that Alex Graves was responsible for the Scene I Refuse to Admit is Canon, I'm relieved not to have him directing next year whatever else his strengths.  

I think Graves and Alik Sakharov were the weakest directors last season, especially in terms of emotional content. Graves directed the moments that fell most flat for me (Joffrey's death scene, Tyrion killing Shae/Tywin, Bran meeting Bloodraven), with Sakharov behind him (that weird scene where that man stood around while Arya casually stabbed him in the heart).

I wish Michelle MacLaren did more episodes.

What? That's a lot to read into Davos being at Castle Black instead of left at Eastwatch. Pretty much everyone expected Davos to be at Stannis's side but I haven't seen anyone else say it meant anything about Lord Manderly. Does Davos even set sail for White Harbor in Storm? I only remember that being mentioned in Feast/Dance. Not like he can't set sail in s5 regardless. And are you saying Stannis sends him to House Umber instead for the purposes of getting Rickon, just fortunately guessing he's there? Not that D&D can't change their minds about this, but Bran sent Rickon to the Last Hearth in the same ep as the Red Wedding, where an extra portraying Wendel was featured. Including Wendel is a pointless choice if they had Bran say House Umber so they could take House Manderly's role.

Take this with however much salt you want, but this guy claims the Northern Irish GoT location tour now includes the site for the Kingsmoot in s5. Another commenter on WiC, amid the political ugliness in the Israel post, says he knows someone who took the tour recently, and there is a Kingsmoot site but they haven't started filming, which was the thing the first guy was obviously wrong about. That part could be just a misunderstanding instead of a lie, since he also misnames the Florents, but who the hell knows. We'll need more evidence to corroborate.

The Red Mountains of Dorne would be in the queenmaking plot, but another possibility is seeing the Tower of Joy through Bran. Do we think they could keep it a secret if Sean Bean came back for a guest appearance? 

The Red Mountains of Dorne would be in the queenmaking plot, but another possibility is seeing the Tower of Joy through Bran. Do we think they could keep it a secret if Sean Bean came back for a guest appearance? 

Based on the show's narrative style, they're not going to show stuff like the Tower until they actually reveal Jon's parentage, if they show it at all.

Information about filming in iceland:

According to Icelandic news site RÚV, Game of Thrones will be returning to Iceland to film its newest season, as the show has done the last few years. However when HBO’s film crew turns up, it’ll be without the actors of GoT, and for a much briefer stay.
RÚV reports that the main focus of filming this fall will be landscape shots only. They spoke with GoT line producer Snorri Þórisson, who confirmed that the show intended to film a battle in Iceland in the month of November, but that with rewrites, the scene grew too large. Filming in Iceland in the fall poses some difficulty as there is a very limited amount of daylight hours, and so the battle scene will have to filmed elsewhere.

This battle could be the early-TWOW battle of ice at Winterfell since the showrunners are still talking about 7 seasons of GOT, or it could be something White Walker-related that would establish them as an urgent onscreen threat for the final two seasons.

I think white walker activity might be more likely, I've seen spec that Craster's wife who refused Jon's help might take the Mother Mole role of leading people to Hardhome. There needs to be some action in the far North between Jon killing Janos Slynt and then being killed himself. They say it proved too hard to film a battle in Iceland, but with how troublesome it is to film there filming a big battle like Blackwater or the battle for Castle Black should have been an obvious problem not something where the they wouldn't realize the scene would be "too large". Surely the Battle for Winterfell would turn out to be a big affair before any re-writes. So imo that battle will probably just be wherever they filmed Bran and Jon's scenes in s4, with all the fake snow. I do expect to see the Battle of Ice onscreen before TWoW though, but the Battle of Fire can wait til s6. I don't see them actually doing two huge-ass battles at the same time, and Stannis has less to do before his battle than do Tyrion and Dany's entourage.

Information about filming in iceland:

This battle could be the early-TWOW battle of ice at Winterfell since the showrunners are still talking about 7 seasons of GOT, or it could be something White Walker-related that would establish them as an urgent onscreen threat for the final two seasons.

I'm having a hard time picturing how Iceland would be appropriate for any of the upcoming battles, landscape-wise.  Deepwood Motte (if they bother to include that battle, though it would give Stannis something to do besides brood) is in a forest, and the environment around Winterfell was established in S1 as being... well, I'm having a hard time describing it:  woods and moors and open fields.  Definitely different from the places they filmed in Iceland previously.

Sean Bean Open to Flashback Appearances  This is the interviewer's own suggestion so it's not like it means much of anything at all, I just like the part where he talks about "unfinished business" and says he's "obviously not Jon Snow's dad".

That interview is hilarious. Especially how excited Sean Bean gets. 

Hopefully D&D saw that interview,it sounds like Sean wants back on set for some flashback scenes.

• Love 1

Watching a Finn Jones interview from a week or two ago, he mentions that Loras will have another "intimate" scene this coming season. 

He doesn't say who with. 

I wonder if it's going to be Olyvar again, or someone new. I could see this being part of a trap by Cersei.

Bumping this since there are now more actual spoilers and summaries out there.

-- Episode #41: “The Wars to Come”: Cersei and Jaime adjust to a world without Tywin. Varys reveals a conspiracy to Tyrion. Dany faces a new threat to her rule. Jon is caught between two kings. (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Michael Slovis.)

-- Episode #42: “The House of Black and White”: Arya arrives in Braavos. Pod and Brienne run into trouble on the road. Cersei fears for her daughter’s safety in Dorne as Ellaria Sand seeks revenge for Oberyn’s death. Stannis tempts Jon. An adviser tempts Dany. (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Michael Slovis.)

-- Episode #43: “High Sparrow”: In Braavos, Arya sees the Many-Faced God. In King’s Landing, Queen Margaery enjoys her new husband. Tyrion and Varys walk the Long Bridge of Volantis. (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Mark Mylod.)

There was a report at some point that Littlefinger visits KL. If he and Sansa have an encounter (or almost-encounter) with Brienne in 5x02, could he be in KL in episode 4, and then skip 5 so that he can rejoin Sansa in 6 and move on to the Winterfell plot? If he rejoins her at all since the whole thing is a mystery on the show, but it would just be so stupid of him to send her to Winterfell by herself: he'd risk losing a valuable pawn and wouldn't be around to ensure that the Boltons go down in a way that increases his power.

I wonder if Sansa might be sent alone as Alayne Stone to Ramsay's wedding ostensibly so that the Arryns can build an alliance with the new Warden of the North. When she gets there, she takes up Manderly's role and starts killing Freys. (Though it'll be interesting to see if there's any confirmation of the Theon Durden theory...) When she's discovered, Theon helps her escape.

Miranda plays the role of Arya Stark. Does she look like her or is she the right age? No, of course not. No one really ever believed that Jeyne Poole was Arya Stark but they put up with the farce because he's got the backing of King's Landing, an actual army and no genuine alternatives are present.

The idea that Sansa could do what Wyman Manderly could do is ludicrous. Manderly has men at his command and he is a very large, battle-trained man. Sansa is not battle-trained, she's not a large man, and she has absolutely no motivation to start baking Freys into pies. Killing them, sure.

Sending Alayne somewhere alone to make an alliance would be like the Starks sending Jon Snow instead of Ned, except even worse because she's a girl. Girls are sent places mainly as marriage tokens, and a bastard daughter of Littlefinger isn't even a good marriage token.

• Love 1

The Sansa stills from the second trailer of her possibly in Winterfell are interesting.  The showrunners had to have something in mind for Sansa given that she has reached the end of published material to keep Sophie Turner as a regular for S5.  I don't like the idea of her taking the role of fArya/Jayne Poole for a couple of reasons.  Ramsay Bolton is worse than Joffrey in the psychopath department.  Joffrey was never given the chance to graduate to hunting women and setting his dogs on them.  He may have if he had lived, but he was a psychopath in training when he died.  Ramsay is a full fledged sociopath who has gone beyond torturing cats and shooting whores with crossbows.  He doesn't have a Tywin, Tyrion, or Cersei to try to keep in line at least in public.  Sansa has an alliance with creepy uncle Littlefinger who seems to view her as his replacement Catelyn and a protogee.  It would be a poor decision on his part to give her as a wife to Roose Bolton's recently legitimized son, who is known to have certain tendencies.  She's too valuable to waste as a torture object for Ramsay. 

The idea that Sansa could be combining the roles of the Blackfish, Manderlys, and Lady Stoneheart as an agent of vengeance against the Freys makes some sense.  Sansa could be doing the planning of making Frey pies with others doing the actual dirty work. 

The idea that Sansa could do what Wyman Manderly could do is ludicrous. Manderly has men at his command and he is a very large, battle-trained man. Sansa is not battle-trained, she's not a large man, and she has absolutely no motivation to start baking Freys into pies. Killing them, sure.

Sending Alayne somewhere alone to make an alliance would be like the Starks sending Jon Snow instead of Ned, except even worse because she's a girl. Girls are sent places mainly as marriage tokens, and a bastard daughter of Littlefinger isn't even a good marriage token.

I don't know about that. Old Nan told the story of the Rat Cook to Bran, I'm sure she told Sansa too.

It's not difficult to connect the dots from there.

But they could even have like a creepy monologue piece where Sansa tells the story in voiceover while Freys and Boltons scarf down the pies.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1

Oh, I'm sure she knows the story. But I'm equally sure she couldn't make a pie if her life depended on it.

First off that is not a question of motivation, but a question of ability.

Secondly, as the Lord Protectors daughter Sansa/Alayne has tons and tons of resources at her disposal. If she can manage to get the Freys killed, I'm sure getting a few chefs to bake a few pies is a task that is easily accomplished

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 2

I had been thinking Sansa would be a stand in for Stoneheart, but I reaaaally like the idea of her being responsible for Frey pie. Fits the bill for the rumors of Dark Sansa.

IF she can manage to get Freys killed. I'm just not so sure that being Baelisch's bastard daughter is going to give her the same kind of clout around Winterfell that Sansa Stark would want, especially with the Boltons in charge. IF the Boltons defer to the Lord Protector of the Vale, or his illegitimate daughter with her claim to absolutely nothing, it will be because they owe him big.

He's taking a huge risk bringing her there, because she might find out what he's really been up to. The Freys may not be the only ones baked into pies. Also, bringing Robin there is weird. I wonder if he'll make it.

Edited by Hecate7

In the show she's his niece and not his bastard. We where speculating last season if they made this change just to make it less creepy or for some other reason. Could be that they wanted her to be a more important person. Even though she's still a woman she's LFs heir at the moment. Which means she'd get harenhall if he dies. that might make the soldiers listen a bit extra to her.

I believe there is a still of BOTH LF and Sansa riding into Winterfell.  My speculation is that Sansa is left offscreen with the Vale Lords when LF goes to Kings Landing.  He has his match off with Olenna (that's who I think she is threatening in the first trailer) and realizes that not only is his "alliance" with House Tyrell something he may want to discontinue, but due to infighting, now would be the time to kick the knees out from under both the Lannisters and the Tyrells.   So he reunites with Sansa and decides to head North with her to undermine the Throne's hold on the region.   While there LF goes to work on Roose Bolton and sics Alayne onto Ramsay.  

I could see LF working to convince Roose that uniting the North with the Vale is in their best interest now.   Roose making it clear to Ramsay that Lady Alayne is NOT someone to be subjected to his proclivities. 

Though Sansa and LF will have to deal with the unexpected complications in Theon and Myranda.

I could see Season 6 culminating in a betrothal between Ramsay and Alayne.  I think Sansa/Alayne will undermine the Boltons, maybe attempting to sow discord between Roose and Ramsay the way Margaery did to Cersei/Joffrey/Tommen.  I could even see LF and Alayne working and succeeding in turning the Frey's and Boltons against each other despite Roose being married to Walda.

• Love 1

After the first trailer for S5, and no LS in sight, I thought that Brienne was as good as dead (and began berating myself for watching this show in the first place while aware that I would hate the non-happy ending). I thought that LittleFinger would have Brienne and Pod killed, probably with Sansa's agreement, marking her passing to "the dark side". And her dead to me status, just when I finally thought I could do more than pity her.

But since Brienne and Pod are seen in the snow in the second trailer, whereas they're fleeing what seems to be Vale knights in the first one and it doesn't snow, I feel suddenly more optimistic that Brienne might make it. But if there's no LS, why? Could it mean that she has another role to play? I can't help but think that if Brienne survives beyond

her encounters and rejection from both Sansa and Arya,

it's significant.

The first possibility I thought of is related her vow to avenge Renly. So, she could go North anyway, following Sansa, and there, maybe she could have a hand in Stannis' potential demise.

The other one is a  crackpot/wishful thinking idea that came to me. If there's no LS, the only unresolved thread from Brienne's storyline in the books that I can think of, especially considering where Jaime is this season, is her encounter with Gendry. He could very well have landed somewhere in Westeros (around the Vale, for example) rather than in Essos. And as for the importance of their meeting, I don't talk from his perspective, since on the show he knows his parentage already. But...

Could it be possible that Brienne meets him in S5 of the show? They both have reasons to hate/resent Stannis, they could both have reasons to hate the Boltons (if fArya is a go) so maybe they could play a role there. And even if Brienne and Pod have an hostile encounter with the BwB (

minus Beric, re:casting reports

) Show Gendry would have reasons to side her -maybe it could parallel the way he saved her from Rorge and co in the books, which obviously won't happen.

And maybe they could save Shireen later, if she's in danger? (Gendry repaying Davos, and what would Brienne do with her vow of killing Stannis when confronted to his innocent daughter?) Yeah, 100% fairy-tale wishful thinking here. I plead guilty.

Anyway, I now think that Brienne might not be as bound to death as I initially thought, and maybe even a wild card in the Westeros/Northen scheme of things.

Edit: I spoiler-tagged something that is non-confirmed spoilerish rumor, just in case, the rest is pure speculation.

Edited by Happy Harpy

I still think that jaime and briennes story lines will go as they go in the book. Brienne will eventually run into bwb who will take pod hostage for her to bring them jaime which they probably plan to use in a plan to bring down the freys. We know they plan to have frey comeuppance in the show at some point and why invent something totally new when they have the book version which seems great. There's a possibility they'll bring in blackfish as the leader rather than SH since he is alive and not used for any plot. All of this will probably have to wait until season 6 though because it's better to have the introduction and pay off of this plot in the same season and also jaime needs to get back from dorne.

That is my thoughts right now but this season might change them totally. Specially if brienne, pod or Jaime dies.

I like your speculation though Happy Harpy about maybe brienne meeting Gendry being significant. I don't think it would be this season though since they wouldn't have any reason to keep the actors return a secret.

In the show she's his niece and not his bastard. We where speculating last season if they made this change just to make it less creepy or for some other reason. Could be that they wanted her to be a more important person. Even though she's still a woman she's LFs heir at the moment. Which means she'd get harenhall if he dies. that might make the soldiers listen a bit extra to her.

That's even worse than his daughter, in terms of clout. Nobody is going to expect a man LF's age to continue on to the end of his life with no sons. She'll be seen as a stopgap measure. I think they didn't do it to make her a more important person. If anything it makes her less important, because LF could legitimize a bastard at any moment if he wanted to. I think they did it so it's less squicky when they start to have sex, and so it's actually possible for him to marry her as Alayne.

Edited by Hecate7

I just finished reading Entertainment Weekly's big ole GoT issue, and there's an interview with an anonymous cast member who's going to be killed off in S5 even though it hasn't happened in the books. It sounds like someone fairly substantial in terms of past screen time--are there leading theories as to who this is?

I just finished reading Entertainment Weekly's big ole GoT issue, and there's an interview with an anonymous cast member who's going to be killed off in S5 even though it hasn't happened in the books. It sounds like someone fairly substantial in terms of past screen time--are there leading theories as to who this is?

The wording of the part of the article was interesting.  The use of the phrase "several seasons" is interesting.  It could be someone like Davos who was introduced in S2 or Jorah who first appeared in the pilot and has had significant screentime but in a supporting role.  I wouldn't describe Theon/Reek as having substantial screentime except maybe in S2, but Alfie Allen has certainly made an impact in the scenes he had during the last two years.  If Theon's death came as a result of overcoming Ramsay's programming and reclaiming his identity as Theon, then it could be interesting.  I don't think it will be Ramsay or Roose Bolton because it sounds like it is a character whom most fans would be sad to see go.

Edited by anyanka323

That's even worse than his daughter, in terms of clout. Nobody is going to expect a man LF's age to continue on to the end of his life with no sons. She'll be seen as a stopgap measure. I think they didn't do it to make her a more important person. If anything it makes her less important, because LF could legitimize a bastard at any moment if he wanted to. I think they did it so it's less squicky when they start to have sex, and so it's actually possible for him to marry her as Alayne.

I don't know about that.

Littlefinger never married before Lysa, and he's pretty old to have never taken a wife. Even Lysa can be seen as a fairly obvious ploy to bring the Eyrie under Tommen's protection, not a marriage made because he desired a wife, but a marriage made because the Crown commanded it. Really I'm surprised there isn't more made of Littlefinger's extended bachelorhood; by all rights he should have tons of rumours flying around the kingdoms.

He also doesn't seem to be a person who cares very much for his family lineage, he had no qualms about abandoning his father's sigil for his own mockingbird. A man who does that doesn't seem like one who would be terrible concerned with carrying on his family name.

It's not unreasonable for anyone to assume he doesn't want to ever take a(nother) wife or have a child. 

Edited by Maximum Taco

It was mentioned in the book that LF"s House is so meager that he has no prospects for a good marriage.  Granted, he could probably find SOMEONE who would marry him but he would never tie himself down on it.  The meagerness of his House might keep more people from speculating about him because they just don't except him to secure a good marriage.

It was mentioned in the book that LF"s House is so meager that he has no prospects for a good marriage.  Granted, he could probably find SOMEONE who would marry him but he would never tie himself down on it.  The meagerness of his House might keep more people from speculating about him because they just don't except him to secure a good marriage.

Is it? Where?

It's mentioned that he can't marry a Tully, but that's hardly having no good prospects. Just because he can't marry into a great house. Many nobles would be scorned if they sought such a match.

Also his wealth alone can ensure a good marriage. He's currently buying the heir to the Eyrie for his bastard daughter. I'm sure he could do the same for himself.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1

Barristan seems to be the leading candidate. People were already talking about how he and Grey Worm are missing from the pit photos and Grey Worm might be dead in that trailer shot of him and Missandei, he's been around since season 1, and it's possible he will die in the Battle of Meereen in early TWOW so a TV adaptation of the events that slightly speeds up his demise sounds quite feasible. I've also seen mentions of Bronn, Loras, Jorah, Davos and Sam, but I agree that right now Barristan seems like the best bet based on both TWOW and season 5 speculation.

• Love 2

Is it? Where?

It's mentioned that he can't marry a Tully, but that's hardly having no good prospects. Just because he can't marry into a great house. Many nobles would be scorned if they sought such a match.

Also his wealth alone can ensure a good marriage. He's currently buying the heir to the Eyrie for his bastard daughter. I'm sure he could do the same for himself.

Littlefinger couldn't marry a Tully before he was given Harrenhal. Harrenhal was just that little bit extra, along with his seat on the Small Council and his wealth, that made him finally a suitable match for Lyssa Tully. Now that he's also Lord Protector of the Vale, he's right up there alongside any Stark, Tully, Lannister, or Tyrell for marriageability. He could marry almost anyone with his current status.

The only people now who might not consider him "good enough," now that he rules the Fingerlands, the Vale, and Harrenhal, are Cersei, Ellaria, Danaerys, or Margaery. Give him another season and he'll be looking good to them, too.

• Love 1

Is it? Where?

Maybe it wasn't in the book.  Maybe it was said on the show or maybe even GRRM said it in an interview (I doubt the last one).  LF probably could have found someone easy to marry him but his prospects at a really good marriage were very low do to how meager his House was.

Set spoiler (for one of them at least):

Tormund