Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Info & Casting

• Start Topic

Ok so I've totally stolen this idea from another site but wanted to bring this discussion over here as it's fun :)

After this week’s episode, season four is officially halfway over. With that in mind and seasons five and six renewal already in place, now is a good time to start speculating about the casting of characters we might see next year. Who do you think will definitely be in and who will be cut?

I think Griff is a dead cert;

My dream pic would be Kevin McKidd – Lucius Vorenus from HBO’s Rome

I also hope that Victarion stays;

My pick for him is Ray Stevenson - Titus Pullo from HBO's Rome (can you see a pattern emerging?)

What do you think? Do you have any favourites or fantasy picks of your own?

• Love 1

Ooh, great topic!  A lot of this question boils down to: Among all the new players in FFC/DWD, which ones are important and which ones are misdirects?  I'm guessing (assuming a seven season show) that the show won't have patience for new misdirects at this stage, and any new character is important.  Given that:

* Team Griff: I think they're in. Connington is a good role for Domonic West.

* All the Greyjoys: I'm calling them cut.  I think their role is to provide a fleet and the dragon's horn to Dany, and those can easily be accomplished other ways.  I think we won't see the Kingsmoot and I think once Yara does whatever she does now, we don't see more of them except Theon.

* Quentyn Martell: Cut.

* The Bloodraven: In.

* The Martells in Dorne: In. At least Doran and Arienne.

* The High Sparrow and some other Sparrows: In.  Great plotline with the real-world emergence of Pope Francis.

* Ser Robert Strong: O HECK YEAH.

• Love 1

Yes I agree that Quentyn Martell will be cut, his whole storyline is a closed loop. I do have a feeling we will have at least 1 other Greyjoy joining the ranks though.

From team Griff, I doubt we'll have the whole merry band, maybe just Griff & Young Griff and 1 or 2 of the others.

Bloodraven has already been cast.  He is British character actor Struan Rodger. 

ZW3lY3E.jpg

I found it interesting that the show had Oberyn tell Cersei that he has eight daughters, though obviously we won't need all eight of them in acting roles.  Perhaps, just a quick scene using extras and then some explanation about why most of them will be out of sight for the duration.  I guess it depends on much time the show intends to spend in Dorn.

Oh interesting, where did you find that out from JF? I see on his imdb listing he is the voice of the three eyed raven. Has it actually been stated anywhere that he will be playing the 'human' (+part tree!) BloodRaven also? He looks a good fit for it though, I must say.

ETA Good catch JF.

One of the casting choices I think everybody is looking forward to is Wyman Manderley, Ser Too Fat To Sit A Horse.  From what I see, Ian McNeice is far and away the front-runner fan favorite, and my favorite choice as well.  I loved him in Rome and I'd love to see him smirking over his... peculiar choice of pie ingredients.  Anybody got someone else in mind for Manderley? 

qyVjQXU.jpg

• Love 1

Looks like some great casting ideas.

I would love to see poor dumb Quentyn included, just to show what the Martell's agenda is.  I'd like to see them hedging their bets by allying with Dany as well as backing Myrcella and probably Aegon.  When it comes to playing all sides the Tyrells have nothing on the Martells.

One bit of casting I would absolutely love to see would be James Frain as Quentyn Martell.  Frain was wonderful as Cromwell in The Tudors.  His natural expression is just solemn, sad.  He's not particularly physically attractive, and he does have slightly protrubrent eyes, so the nickname 'Frog' would work for him.  HBO make this happen, I'm beggin' ya! 

yNpv6fH.jpg

• Love 2
(edited)

No idea who could play Quentyn. I don't watch enough British tv to have a clue, but it would have to be someone sort of nerdy.

Someone I'd love to see in some role would be David Oakes. He plays slimy smug villains so well. I second James Frain, speaking of slimy and smug. (Did you mean Doran instead of Quentyn?)  Loved him as Warwick in The White Queen. (Maybe the guy who played Richard III as Quentyn?  I call him the poor man's Elijah Wood.)

Edited by Haleth
(edited)

I always thought Quentyn was important if only to show that Dany is too self-involved/wrapped up in the pretty boy to recognize a solid prospect and alliance when it is right in front of her.  Not only that, we see through Quentyn's eyes Dany's neglect of her own dragons.

I'd be happy if there were a whole lot less Iron Island stuff .... keep Victarion and Aeron and ditch just about everything else.

As far as who can play these characters, I really don't know ... the Greyjoys need a bit of crazy in them.  Maybe Rory Kinnear? 

^ Got any actor in mind for Quentyn?

Ben Whishaw?

Edited by OakGoblinFly

Something that's going to be fun to watch--we don't know yet if GRRM had/has plans for the one character he created that has received more scorn, laughter and derision than probably all other characters combined.  Gerold Dayne.  Darkstar.  'Men call me Darkstar.  I am of the night.'  hahaha, I can hardly even write it without laughing--not that Darkstar made that much of an impression on me, but after I started posting in the book forums long before the HBO series was even thought of, the absolute ridicule that character received amazed me, and it was absolutely hilarious and pretty much never-ending.  In an interview years ago, GRRM said he was genuinely shocked and surprised over the book fan reaction.  He created Darkstar hoping to soak up some of the love and nostalgia that book fans showed for the Red Viper, but obviously, that didn't happen.  Just the reverse, in fact.  Dorkstar and Darkwing Duck became the forums nicknames for poor Gerold.  While all this was happening, I came across a very interesting piece written by a professor of literature who set out to analyze Darkstar's 'crimes,' that is, why fans instantly hated and ridiculed him.  And the bottom line was interesting--it's because Gerold says those lines about himself.  If another character described Gerold that way, fans would have accepted that Darkstar was 'the most dangerous man in Dorne,' as Doran called him.  But, by saying of himself: 'Men call me Darkstar.  I am of the night,' he sounds like a blowhard fool.  (Sort of like Karl Tanner at Craster's Keep that we saw the other night, strutting around and boasting that 'I was a fookin' legend in Gin Alley, a fookin' legend!)  And then, of course, Darkstar tries to ride down Myrcella and assassinate her, but only manages to cut off her ear.  And that was it--the book fan's ridicule went ballistic!

Anyway, its going to be fun and interesting if D&D feel they have to cast Darkstar because of the part he plays in GRRM's final books.  I already pity the actor who gets the part!

I suspect Darkstar will be cut, I just don't see him playing an important enough role in the endgame to warrant the need to cast him, but time will tell.

Even if he isn't cut, he probably wouldn't be given those lines in the show, as D&D will no doubt, be aware of this ^ so the show only viewers would see him differently.

(edited)

^ Probably right.  My guess would be that GRRM, after seeing the 'reception' Darkstar got from book fans, probably altered the character's arc and, who knows, killed him off or something. It'll be interesting, from a writer's perspective to see how he gracefully can do that, after such a dramatic introduction.

Edited by joliefaire

I said in the tv vs. books thread, I think Myrcella's maiming is in. This show loves its heavy-handed foreshadowing added for book readers, and Oberyn/Cersei's exchange about little girls being hurt reminded me of Tywin/Arya's convo about whether the Young Wolf could be killed, or Ned/Barristan talking about how Cat would be a widow if things had gone differently on the Trident, or...I'm sure there's a s3 example too, they do love doing this.

• Love 1

You know who GoT is missing?  Jason Isaacs.  He would have made a marvelous Roose Bolton.  (Not that the actor playing him isn't wonderful too.)

• Love 1

Production on Season 5 is gearing up--before long, we'll be gleaning bits and pieces of info, rumors and/or news of casting, etc.

EW just released an article saying that GoT is currently scouting new locations in Spain for Season 5.  That's got to mean we're going to Dorne, right??   Yay!!  Bring on Doran, the Sand Snakes, Arianne and Quentyn.  Can't wait to see Dorne (I want to live there, actually.  Water gardens, warmth, Dornish wine!) 

I saw input on another board that Spain is actually quite expensive to shoot in, so the exciting news here is not only that we'll see Dorne, but that the show is apparently putting some hefty budget into bringing Dorne to life, rather than shooting it in Morocco, which is already on board.  It makes sense, to me anyway, as a replacement keystone-site in place of King's Landing.  Next season, re King's Landing, Tywin, Tyrion, Varys and Jaime will all be gone from KL.  Best to have another 'court-centered' site, and I'm thrilled that its Dorne.  Of course, we'll be checking in with Cersei and her um, managerial skillz at KL.

Also interesting that the addition of Spain makes it 7 'kingdoms' that the show will be using for locations.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/21/game-of-thrones-spain/

And WiC is tossing out casting suggestions for the Martells.

http://winteriscoming.net/

• Love 1
(edited)

Thanks for posting this!  I will be inordinately excited to watch the opening compass shift downward to Sunspear instead of traveling north like every other time.  And the Eyrie had better be there as well, dammit.  

I wonder if Quentin Martell will be written out, seeing as his only purpose is to stoke Arianne's jealousy and be killed by Dany's dragons.  And will someone be cast to play Aegon?

Edited by SilverStormm
This is now a Book Talk thread; spoiler tag removed.

^ I gotta think Quentyn will be cast, but not as a major character, just as one more of the many players heading toward Dany.  He is the reason Dorne turns against Dany and toward Aegon, after all.  I can't wait for this whole side of the story--I love the show, but truly, by now, I'm weary of KL and of Cersei's scowling bitter meanness.  Eager to see Braavos (through Arya's eyes) and especially Dorne.  I wonder which (and how many) of the Sand Snakes will make it to the screen?  Can't wait!

(edited)

Does Dorne really turn against Dany, though?  Based on the WoW chapters released, they sound intrigued by Aegon, but I'm not sure they even know Quentin is dead.  In fact, doesn't Arianne imagine him as Dany's king consort?

Edited by SilverStormm
(edited)

Prince Doran.  A man who covers all the angles, sending Quentyn to woo Dany, betrothes Trystane to Myrcella, and (theoretically) sends Arianne to seduce Aegon. He's as devious as Olenna Tyrell.

I've been thinking that the expanded Yara storyline is going to introduce us to her uncle(s) and their sacking of the western cities of Westeros as payment for Lannister/Bolton treatment of Theon.  The show will need to bring in Euron as the new king and Victarion as the pirate.  Unless of course Yara takes the pillaging role. 

Edited by Haleth

^ I gotta think Quentyn will be cast, but not as a major character, just as one more of the many players heading toward Dany.  He is the reason Dorne turns against Dany and toward Aegon, after all.  I can't wait for this whole side of the story--I love the show, but truly, by now, I'm weary of KL and of Cersei's scowling bitter meanness.  Eager to see Braavos (through Arya's eyes) and especially Dorne.  I wonder which (and how many) of the Sand Snakes will make it to the screen?  Can't wait!

And I'm tired of her smirk and that one raised eyebrow. Less of Cersei is a good thing.

(edited)

WOW, huge casting info dump this morning from Wic.  LOTS of Dorne coming up next season!!  Casting is in full swing, so far we're getting 3 of the Sand Snakes, Areo Hotah, Doran and Trystane.

Here's what we know, so far.  More to come!

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/05/23/characters-confirmed-game-thrones-season-5-new-details/

ETA:  I wonder what this juicy tidbit might mean!  Any guesses?

Obara Sand – The eldest and most athletic Sand Snake will be having a major fight scene with a series regular character- not one who crosses her path in the books. This is an interesting change.

Edited by joliefaire
  • Love 1

Holy hell that came out of nowhere.

Also, about the Obara Sand thing, does another Sand Snake have a major fight scene in the books? I don't remember. Maybe they're merging her with another.

I'm assuming that these are casting calls, and that they already have characters like Arianne, Victarion, and Euron cast.

(edited)

Obara Sand – The eldest and most athletic Sand Snake will be having a major fight scene with a series regular character- not one who crosses her path in the books. This is an interesting change.

Hmm, money is on either Jaime or Brienne, since neither's storyline has much to do in a Feast for Crows.  Maybe Jaime is sent on a diplomatic mission down south?

Edited by Brn2bwild
(edited)

It could be Meryn Trant. Isn't Balon Swann sent to Dorne in AFfC? Maybe Trant will go in his stead.

Maybe they'll have some fight scene.

Edited by ebevan91

Interesting casting news.  Looks like D&D are forging ahead with a whole slate of new characters.  This is a minority opinion but I am very conflicted because I was hoping of AFFC and ADWD would be significantly pared down.  I unless there are clear signs that a resolution is in sight, viewers are going to lose patience with this ever-growing tale.

The Waif – The strange child from the books that Arya encounters will likely be played by an older actress, one in her later teens, and we understand the show is specifically looking for a woman of East Asian descent for the part.

This is good news, of sorts: that this is the first person of Asian descent to appear on the show in 5 seasons is just odious.  Disappointingly, she will be "strange".

• Love 1

No mention of Arianne?  Surely she'll be a character unless she is replaced in favor of the Sand Snakes.  My first instinct about Obara's fight would be with Jaime, but he'll probably be gone from KL by the time the Snakes come to town.  

Biggest shock for me is Maggy the Frog.  Guess they'll be including the prophesy regarding Cersei.  But why bother with Lollys?  Bronn's storyline is over for all intents.  (Maybe Obara fights Bronn?)

• Love 1

Re Lollys, my guess is that they want to keep fan-favorite Bronn around awhile longer, so they're going to invent stuff for him to do.  I'd also guess that Maggy's prophecy will be made in real time, rather than as a flashback, and we can then watch Cersei board the crazy-train, trying to track down Tyrion.

Myabe they're substituting Lollys for Taena Merryweather, though Taena is pretty smart and Lollys has already been established as a lackwit.

From that acticle:

•Prince Trystane Martell – Trystane, the handsome fiance of Princess Myrcella, is being aged up to 18.

Uhh, what?  Are they recasting Myrcella with an older actress too, or has the actress grown significantly since her last appearance?  If not, that pairing will look a little creepy.

Obara's fight scene:  Yara Greyjoy on her way back from the Dreadfort to the Iron Islands, stops off to get supplies in Sunspear, has a run-in with Obara.  I could see that happening.  It would be another go-nowhere filler event, but would be cool to see.

Maggy the Frog's description is that she's in one episode.  It could be a flashback, though (IIRC) they've never done flashbacks to events preceding the series.

• Love 1
(edited)

Myabe they're substituting Lollys for Taena Merryweather, though Taena is pretty smart and Lollys has already been established as a lackwit.

From that acticle:

Uhh, what?  Are they recasting Myrcella with an older actress too, or has the actress grown significantly since her last appearance?  If not, that pairing will look a little creepy.

Aimee Richardson is 16 and looks it. All of the child actors have grown significantly since the pilot.

tumblr_mo1lrvXiUR1r9h4heo1_500.jpg

And judging by her twitter, she still believes the role is hers. If D&D are re-casting without bothering to give her notice, I think that's pretty dickish. But I imagine Tommen 1.0 got some kind of notice since he really should have appeared in a couple of scenes in s3.

Huh, Lena brought up the prophecy in the interview I watched for her septgate reaction, but I still assumed that nonsense would be left out. Guess her ramblings should be taken more seriously.

I would hope Taena Merryweather is just dropped altogether, we certainly don't need to see Cersei sexually exploring a Stokeworth swamp.

Edited by Lady S.
  • Love 1

Oh, just that that there was a prophecy that Cersei would outlive her children, and she has that hanging over her head. I saw it lurking on w.org (as I sometimes do), so it should still be linked there with a headline about Nikolaj and Lena giving their opinions on the sept scene.

(edited)

Ooh, good stuff!  Can't wait to meet Doran and Trystane!

Cersei requested a ship be sent as a gift for her daughter, perhaps whoever Obara gets tangled up with whoever will be on that ship.  

I also hope that the Maggy prophesy is in real time rather than a retcon so it'll start Cersei's spiral into rampant instability.

Granted Sarella/Alleras doesn't feature in Dorne but I hope that character does become present at some point.  She's my favorite Sand Snake.

Edited by GreyBunny

After hearing that the GoT location scouts were looking at Almeria, Spain as a possible location, I did a quick web search to see what Almeria looks like.  Came across this interesting tidbit: 

Almería originated with the need for a better defence system that the Arab towns in the area had. It was Abd-al-Rahman III who founded the Alcazaba (the Citadel), which gave this city its name: Al-Mariy-yat (the Watchtower).

Wonder if this thread should be under "Book Talk" instead of just Spoilers?

Yes; it should also be merged with the existing casting thread which was less than 2 weeks old when this one was started - back in a sec...

You know who GoT is missing?  Jason Isaacs

Big hell YEAH!  Can he be Connington?  Someone upthread mentioned Dominic West too who is totally acceptable.  

I want Antonio Banderas for The Prince of Dorne.  After seeing Pedro this year, I think Antonio would make an ideal older brother.  I know he's supposed to be crippled from gout, but there's no reason they can't give him costume legs all swollen and gross.  

And in my ongoing effort to get Idris Elba on ALL my favorite shows, can he be Aero???  The princes' bodyguard?  I can't remember how to spell his name. I know it's not a big role (Idris is a busy man) but I do love the character so.  He's so ...professional and stoic and loyal.

They need someone really good to play Aegon.  He needs to be shining in my opinion.  A glorious potential king.  I don't know Martin's plans for him, but he needs to be a plausible alternative to Jon Snow (for some reason in my mind I see Dany meeting Jon Snow and fireworks ensue even though I don't love Jon Snow all that much).  

So who is shining and glorious in British cinema/television right now?  Any of the old Harry Potter actors?  Or how about Skandar Keynes from the old Narnia movies?  He's aged nicely and he's about 23.  http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1327404544/nm1342727?ref_=nm_ov_ph

And would Clive Owen do television again?  Because I think he could make a good Griff too.  He's about 50 which would be right.

SilverStormm I also hope that Victarion stays; My pick for him is Ray Stevenson

For some reason I read that as Ray Winston (Sexy Beast or for the older viewer, Will Scarlet in Robin of Sherwood), which made me think "Isn't he a little old?" But on second thought, he is meant to be a character who's travelled the world and raped a woman in every port, so an older actor might be a good choice.

Ray Stevenson should be on Game of Thrones, the big beast.  I just saw Arthur again (The Clive Owen version) and Stevenson always breaks my heart.  I loved him on Rome too.  A big lug who can act is a delight.  The United Kingdom grows them well.  

• Love 2