Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Info & Casting

• Start Topic

Walk of shame confirmed:

We heard that HBO asked the Dubrovnik city council to allow filming of a scene in which a naked actress walks from the Dubrovnik cathedral to the Sponza Palace entrance (readers of course know who that is). The scene will require about 500 extras. As the map (courtesy of Sue) shows, the two locations are set at opposite ends of the old city’s main thoroughfare, Stradun.

I'm thrilled Alexander Siddig is cast as Doran.  He's been fancanon Doran for a long time on several sites I visit, it's fun to see it made official. 

Nitpick but Tyene is blonde with blue eyes (maybe they'll slap a wig on her).  And I hope the actress was kidding about practicing with her daggers, that's Nym's schtick.  Tyene is the poisoner.

I assume they'll put a blond wig on Tyene.  For me the biggest disconnect was Obara -- she looks nothing like I pictured.  I expected someone along the lines of Gwendoline Christe; not as tall, but still physically imposing. 

Confession time:  Until I saw that clip, I have always read an "r" into Tyene's name.  Seriously, I thought it was "Tyrene" and she was mispronouncing it.  Also, I always pronounced it "Ar-e-o Hotah", but the actor pronounced it "Arrow Hotah".  I think I like my pronunciation better.

I assume they'll put a blond wig on Tyene.  

I believe the press release indicated that the show version of Tyene will be one of Ellaria's daughters, so I don't think she'll be blonde on the show.  

All right, so there are some pretty big filming reports/spoilers here

http://watchersonthewall.com/portstewart-strand-gears-big-scene-august-7th/

and here

http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/2c3mz5/spoilers_all_i_know_jaime_lannisters_season_5_arc/

Take the second link with something of a grain of salt -- it's a redditor posting rumors.

But if the poster is right, everything about Jaime in season five sounds wholly stupid to me.

The Jaime story sounds like a lot of fanon that's been going around since we first heard he was going to Dorne. I could see it being true, of course.

Not sure how I feel about Ellaria being used this way. I hope they aren't going to try to make her a villain.

I wonder what kind of source would be in a position to know Jaime's story in Dorne and King's Landing from beginning to end, and why they would spill all if they did know, this person's story would be more believable if it focused on only one location and didn't have so many details. For comparison, here's a reddit thread from last year about Jon Snow's detour to Raper's Keep, with much less inside info than this guy claims to have. Plus, the Comic-Con casting info listing Myrcella as the elder child feels like an indication the Queenmaker plot is happening, even without Arianne, so leaving her behind to be happy and in love would actually be a big mistake.

Anyway, further news from WotW says Jaime/Bronn's Dornish adventures apparently start in eps 3 and 4. I hope that means they rush in another Lion/Rose union in ep 2 so we Jaime gets to attend Tommen's wedding.

And here we go with info about THE WALK scene:

http://watchersonthewall.com/filming-game-thrones-kastel-gomilica-rolls-info-controversial-scene/#comment-13635

According to our sources, a casting call has recently gone out to female actresses and models. The candidate must be comfortable with the following:

Full frontal nudity/and from behind
Cutting hair, if longer, to shoulder length
Job includes walking nude in front of 500 extras who would be cheering and pelting foodstuffs (character has been shunned from community)

It should be noted that this body double will not be used for the entirety of the walk.

Finally, our sources also tell us that costume fittings for extras have begun in Dubrovnik. The costumes in question are funereal in nature. There is no confirmation as yet, but it would appear that they will be used for Tywin’s funeral scene.

Season 5's likely viewing figures have just doubled then.

“That is a large and growing opportunity that should no longer be left untapped. It is time to remove all barriers to those who want HBO. “So, in 2015, we will launch a stand-alone, over-the-top, HBO service in the United States. We will work with our current partners. And, we will explore models with new partners. All in, there are 80 million homes that do not have HBO and we will use all means at our disposal to go after them.”

http://www.pajiba.com/trade_news/in-a-game-changing-move-hbo-will-officially-offer-standalone-hbo-streaming-service-in-2015-.php

Some more behind the scenes stuff, that seem to be hinting that there will be more changes from the book.  Spoilers, of course.

Basically, it looks like Tyrion and Dany will actually interact, since they sitting with each other in that photo. Also, Jorah is going to be participating in the gladiator games. Interesting.

Alexander Siddig will make a much more handsome Prince Doran than expected.  I wonder if he'll still have gout now that they have cast a slender actor?  Does anyone know if he's actually Egyptian or from the Middle East?  I've only seen him in Cairo Time (so wonderful!) where he plays Egyptian.  I'm just curious.  I know Middle Eastern actors have a hard time getting work so if he is, good for him! 

Must say, Jaime rocks Dorne fashion.  Plus it might be nice to see him actually interact with his daughter, a la Ned and Arya in Season 1.  Obviously not the same relationship, but they're family in a hostile city and they're alone together.  Might be nice to see a conversation or two. Find out if she has an opinion about ANYTHING.  Poor Myrcella has gotten no love in the books. 

• Love 1

Alexander Siddig will make a much more handsome Prince Doran than expected.  I wonder if he'll still have gout now that they have cast a slender actor?  Does anyone know if he's actually Egyptian or from the Middle East?  I've only seen him in Cairo Time (so wonderful!) where he plays Egyptian.  I'm just curious.  I know Middle Eastern actors have a hard time getting work so if he is, good for him! 

They said he had gout last season.  Siddig is Anglo-Sudanese.

• Love 1

Thanks for posting this!  I will be inordinately excited to watch the opening compass shift downward to Sunspear instead of traveling north like every other time.  And the Eyrie had better be there as well, dammit.  

I wonder if Quentin Martell will be written out, seeing as his only purpose is to stoke Arianne's jealousy and be killed by Dany's dragons.  And will someone be cast to play Aegon?

I think it's pretty important when Quentyn is killed. Until that point, Viserion and Rheagal were completely innocent. Viserion still is. They had never harmed a single human being in their lives. Even at the time, it was Rheagal, not Viserion, who did the killing. I think poor Viserion actually was taking a liking to this weird human who knew his name, before Rheagal fried him.

How devastating for poor Ms. Richardson to be recast. It's hard enough to be replaced, but to be only 16 and have that happen....I don't understand.

Hmm.  I like the cut of the clothes on Jaime, but not the color.  I hope he has more outfits than that.  Prince Doran is not what I pictured, but yet, he does look like he could be Oberyn's older brother, so that was clever.  I'm very excited to see what Dorne is like -- more so for the show than I was for the book. 

• Love 1

Yep.  His grandfather I believe was a Prime Minister of the Sudan and his uncle on his mother's side is Malcolm McDowell.

That's really cool, I never knew that of him. 

I remember him from Deep Space Nine (billed as Siddig El-Fadil then) and recently from Da Vinci's Demons.  A lot of fans were hoping he'd be cast as Doran, there is a good deal of Dorne-inspired fanart with Alexander as Doran, it's really nice to have him actually chosen.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 1

HBO released a teaser which could only be viewed once.  Actually, word has it they released two of them.

Someone, of course, said FUCK YOU to HBO and managed to capture it.

Here is the link.

Vanity Fair is reporting that it's Arya in the rowboat.

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/2014/12/game-of-thrones-new-footage-sansa-arya

The other teaser, which has not yet been captured, apparently shows Jaime waking with a start and Arya opening one eye.

Season 5 Premiere Date Announced:

HBO has confirmed that the new season of GAME OF THRONES begins its ten-episode fifth season SUNDAY, APRIL 12 (9:00-10:00 p.m.). Based on the popular book series “A Song of Ice and Fire,” by George R.R. Martin, this hit Emmy®-winning fantasy series chronicles an epic struggle for power in a vast and violent kingdom. The ensemble cast for the fourth season included Emmy® and Golden Globe winner Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, Emilia Clarke, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Kit Harington, Natalie Dormer, Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner. Executive producers, David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, Carolyn Strauss, Frank Doelger, Bernadette Caulfield; co-executive producers, Guymon Casady, Vince Gerardis, George R.R. Martin.
  • Love 1

That seems soooo far away. (Looks outside at the snow and subzero temps.)  Sigh.

A lot of my fav shows are waiting till the first week or so of April to return.  I guess April is the new March.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1

I'm amused by the notion that the series would credit the role as "Hooded Woman" to preserve its secrecy -- and then immediately announce that this mysterious character is played by Michelle Fairley. That'll keep 'em guessing!

• Love 4