Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Info & Casting

• Start Topic

Why would they do that?  It makes no sense to make Myrcella brunette.  (I'll go with Aimee having other commitments.  Good for you, Aimee!)

I can't go to Yahoo or other sites without the name LADY STONEHEART being shouted in their headlines.  Surely nonreaders are seeing that name, no matter how hard they are trying to remain unsullied.  I can't imagine what they must be thinking.

I'm joking. It just seems that the Lannisters get darker and darker every season, and everyone else gets blonder.

• Love 1
(edited)

Quentyn Martell Audition Video.

I'm a little dubious about the authenticity of this. It seems way too long compared to other audition scripts and the way it has Quentyn recount every little thing that happened on his journey seems weird as well.

Could it just be something a fan has put together using the books?

We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Edited by Mormegil
  • Love 1

Oh wow, what sort of person am I that I kind of laughed when the actor delivered Oberyn's Inigo Montoya line?

I don't know what to think about his comments about how he's Dorne. What about his father and elder sister? He mentions that Oberyn isn't the only Prince of Dorne and it's like Trystane is some next door neighbor Quentyn has forgotten about. I really hope they don't give him any facial hair. I think his youth should be emphasized.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that they're auditioning for Euron. So curious as to what that audition scene would be and what all would be included.

(edited)

Some Season 5 director news: looks like Michael Slovis is set to direct two episodes.  He's done a lot of TV, but I remember him mainly as the cinematographer on Breaking Bad, plus directing four episodes of that show.  Between this and getting Michelle MacLauren these past few seasons, I like to believe that the Game guys are on a quest to just grab former folks from Breaking Bad now.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2

Some Season 5 director news: looks like Michael Slovis is set to direct two episodes.  He's done a lot of TV, but I remember him mainly as the cinematographer on Breaking Bad, plus directing four episodes of that show.  Between this and getting Michelle MacLauren these past few seasons, I like to believe that the Game guys are on a quest to just grab former folks from Breaking Bad now.

Can't go wrong with Breaking Bad, that's for sure.  Rian Johnson, who directed several episodes of Breaking Bad has just been picked to direct Episode VIII of Star Wars.

If Quentyn has to appear on this show, just have him show up for the first time in Dany's throne room after being namedropped earlier in the season.

Some new casting rumours coming from New Zealand, reporting that Oscar-nominated Whale Rider actress Keisha Castle-Hughes is telling friends that she's been cast as one of the Sand Snakes (she's a fan of the show and follows Sophie, Maisie, Isaac, and Carice on Twitter, for what that's worth).  Interesting, if true.

I haven't heard that name is a long time but that would be a great pick-up.

I still wonder if they're casting Arianne. 

With Comic Con coming up, we should learn soon enough.

The WIC.net guy says his source is telling him unofficially that Tyene Sand in the show is going to be the daughter of Oberyn and Ellaria.  I'm guessing that's who Castle-Hughes is playing, if this is true (she doesn't really fit the "mixed race" description given to Nym in the casting notice, and she doesn't strike me as imposing enough to be Obara).

I think this might be a bad sign for people hoping Arianne would be in the show.

The WIC.net guy says his source is telling him unofficially that Tyene Sand in the show is going to be the daughter of Oberyn and Ellaria.  I'm guessing that's who Castle-Hughes is playing, if this is true (she doesn't really fit the "mixed race" description given to Nym in the casting notice, and she doesn't strike me as imposing enough to be Obara).

I think this might be a bad sign for people hoping Arianne would be in the show.

Casting can have a way of surprising you.

If Arianne is not on this show, this would further confirm the problem D and D seem to have with female rulers in Westeros.

• Love 3

If Arianne is not on this show, this would further confirm the problem D and D seem to have with female rulers in Westeros.

It does feel like they consider it 'simpler' to keep Westeros patriarchal across the board-perhaps to make Dany seem even more like a revolutionary figure?!?

Alternatively, they could have decided not to include Arianne because they decided to scrap Aegon and anything non-Aegon related, (including possibly inheriting the right to rule Dorne,) could easily be given to the Sand Snakes.

I do like KCH though, and think she's a good choice.  I don't mind at all if Tyene's not blonde like in the books and feel it would be good to get some more diversity to the cast.  Yeah, I know Essos, but frankly that storyline is a little too much about the White Woman Savior.  Besides KCH looks like she might be Oberyn's daughter which is definitely helpful.

• Love 1

Is it terrible for me to admit that KCH as Tyene who was blonde in the books totally works for me as I've heard this would likely annoy a certain book reader who has been very vocal about her unhappiness when it comes to these sorts of casting ideas.

I will be bummed if Arianne is cut and agree that it's strange if D&D want Dany to be the only female ruler. The Lady Stokeworth thing didn't bother me too much though as it just seemed simpler plus they still made a reference to the eldest daughter being in line to inherit.

• Love 1
(edited)

I love the casting of KCH as a Sand Snake and Oberyn and Ellaria's daughter!  Another strong, intelligent, purposeful woman for KL to deal with.  Arianne is fine if D&D are going to include the storyline of Dorne supporting Myrcella as queen, but I prefer the Snakes who use their minds rather than sex to promote their agenda.  If cuts need to be made somewhere, cut the pretty girl who does nothing but bed a Kings Guard and mope about being ignored.

Edited by Haleth

but I prefer the Snakes who use their minds rather than sex to promote their agenda.  If cuts need to be made somewhere, cut the pretty girl who does nothing but bed a Kings Guard and mope about being ignored.

Good point.  I've heard readers/critics describe Arianne as Jr. Cersei and Margaery is already fulfilling that role on the show only better. (Frankly, Arianne wasn't all that bright.) The sand snakes by way of contrast for good or for evil really are something different.  It also feeds into the theme of showing how different the social status of bastards can be in Westeros depending where you are and what family.  Besides depending on what's set to happen in the future, it could very well be that one of the Sand Snakes may end up ruling Dorne.  A woman AND a bastard in charge!!!    

• Love 1

One of the major Snakes being Ellaria's daughter is something I wish GRRM had done in the books. Greater drama/emotion (and character conflict with Book Ellaria wanting peace, though she's probably going to be seeking revenge on TV).

Besides depending on what's set to happen in the future, it could very well be that one of the Sand Snakes may end up ruling Dorne.  A woman AND a bastard in charge!!!    

I don't like how the show has cut references to women being in charge, but especially if some of the wilder speculation about no Quentyn/Show Trystane gets roasted came true, that would leave the Snakes as the heirs since the show doesn't like introducing extra characters.

• Love 1

HBO has announced the directors for Season 5 of Game of Thrones.  Five directors shooting two episodes each.  With the exception of David Nutter, all of them are first-timers to the show.  D and D aren't directing this season either.  My guess is they're going to have to start focusing more on writing for the upcoming seasons, since it's looking increasingly likely they'll have to start writing new material.

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/07/15/directors-game-thrones-season-5-announced/

• Love 2
(edited)

New cast members for Season 5 of Game of Thrones!

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/07/25/new-cast-members-game-thrones-season-5-announced/

Alexander Siddig!  I've been a fan of his since DS9 (a favorite show of mine).  He's been rumored for both Oberyn and Doran for years and it's nice to see him selected for one of the parts.  He's had a really good post-Star Trek career and he should be great in the role.

Keisha Castle-Hughes has been confirmed as Obara Sand (thanks for the reminder, jimene79).

I'm unfamiliar with Jonathan Pryce as The High Sparrow but he has a great resume and a lot of people seem to be happy with his casting.

The most glaring thing is Trystane is listed as heir to Dorne.  WTF?  So much for D and D talking about Dorne having "admirable traditions."  This pretty much confirms that D and D has a serious problem with women rulers not named Dany on this show.  The only way this works is if Trystane meets Quentyn's fate and Arianne is the next in line to take over.  There are still parts left to be cast but I'm pretty sure she has been written out.

Given D and D's priorities as writers, I'm sure we'll see more sexual assaults on women next season than we will female rulers.

No mention of the Greyjoys and after being ignored for so long, I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever really see them on the show.

EDIT:  Mrycella's description at least points out that she is the eldest of the Baratheon children so I guess that's where the female succession plot point will be played up.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 4
(edited)

Holy shit!  I am so ecstatic that Alexander Siddig is Doran!  Loved him in pretty much everything.  I think he will be perfect in this role.

Glad that Keisha Castle-Huges and Jonathan Pryce are both appearing as well.  I know Keisha from Whale Rider of course, and I know Jonathan best as Governor Swan in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, but I also remember him in various other stuff like the G.I. Joe films, Tomorrow Never Dies, and The Brothers Grimm.

Not famailer with the rest, so I hope they're good.  But I am disappointed there has been no mention of Arianne.  I really hope they aren't writing her out.

Still, Dr. Bashir is Doran Martell!!!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3
(edited)
EDIT:  Mrycella's description at least points out that she is the eldest of the Baratheon children so I guess that's where the female succession plot point will be played up.

Yeah, I would assume that Dorne's tradition of female succession will still get play as an essential element of the Queenmaker storyline, though it does lose something if it's a purely theoretical possibility not reflected in any actual character on the show. Then it becomes less about the story making an interesting connection between Arianne's position and the possibility that Myrcella could be named queen, and more about the story pulling a convenient complication out of its butt.

Though I suppose there are alternate ways they could work it into the fabric of the Dorne storyline -- like, say, Trystane originally had an older sister who was in line to inherit, but she died. (shrug)

Edited by Dev F
(edited)

Yeah, I would assume that Dorne's tradition of female succession will still get play as an essential element of the Queenmaker storyline, though it does lose something if it's a purely theoretical possibility not reflected in any actual character on the show. Then it becomes less about the story making an interesting connection between Arianne's position and the possibility that Myrcella could be named queen, and more about the story pulling a convenient complication out of its butt.

Though I suppose there are alternate ways they could work it into the fabric of the Dorne storyline -- like, say, Trystane originally had an older sister who was in line to inherit, but she died. (shrug)

Yeah, now that I think about it some more, is it possible that Myrcella is getting more of the Arianne role?  It would justify the character being re-cast and it would be a logical way to streamline things.  I still think she would need Aegon down the line though. 

Because, otherwise, whose the new villan/threat?  Euron and Victarion don't seem to be showing up (I guess Dany will ride to the rescue in Meereen with her dragon and the Dothraki), Aegon's future is in doubt...or will be the next big player not named Bolton?  Well, there are the White Walkers...

Edited by benteen

I'm assuming that this was only a portion of the new roles that will be added (mostly Dornish characters) and that we'll be hearing more about some additions in the North at least in the coming months.  The omissions here seem to be Arianne and Quentyn, which I find disappointing, and calls into question whether the Griff/Young Griff subplot will even be included.  I guess it's just a matter of how they'll combine Trystane with one or the other of their plot lines.

I haven't seen many of the new cast in other roles, but Nina Gold has done a consistently fantastic job casting, so I'm sure they'll all do a great job.  Personally I'm hoping to see some Manderlys join the party soon!  

I'm thrilled about Jonathan Pryce, but fairly annoyed with everything else. I don't even like Arianne, but it appears that the show doesn't care to show female characters with legitimate power. The focus on the Sand Snakes is pretty ridiculous, especially if they are one of the reasons Arianne was deemed expendable. The Sand Snakes are fairly one note, "kickass" characters in the books, and I doubt the show will make them more nuanced. 

• Love 1

I don't think the female succession of Dorne is being ignored so much as D&D see Arianne as an expendable character. I'm not surprised she and Quentyn have not been cast, although I'm a bit disappointed. Neither seems to be important at this point. I could see one of the Snakes (Tyene?) being sent to seduce Aegon if his storyline is included.

That said I'm thrilled by the casting of Al Siddig and Jon Pryce. That is great news!

(edited)

First time trying to embed a video, hope this works:

Game of Thrones: Season 5 – New Cast Members (Comic Con)

http://youtu.be/WH2ri8RhSnw

Both links are the same, preview shows them as just links. What am I missing?

Edit: Cool, it worked! Thanks!

Edited by cheyz

I'm thrilled Alexander Siddig is cast as Doran.  He's been fancanon Doran for a long time on several sites I visit, it's fun to see it made official. 

Nitpick but Tyene is blonde with blue eyes (maybe they'll slap a wig on her).  And I hope the actress was kidding about practicing with her daggers, that's Nym's schtick.  Tyene is the poisoner.

Whoo hoo!  No Iron born!  They can always have a man take the part of trying to put Myrcella on the throne.  Arianne didn't make much of an impact on me because her plot came to nothing.  I'm re-reading and almost there...but was she the girl on the grey horse?  Cause then she's important (catalyst for Jon doing something he shouldn't)

I can't believe my Ellaria and Doran casting dreams both came true! I really think the fandom's love for Siddig suggestions may have made his agent/the show aware of the possibilities.

Pryce is incredible. Even though the show has Diana Rigg somehow I never imagined him on GOT, but I'm so glad to have been surprised like this. An actor of his level getting the role means TV High Sparrow is less likely to be a one-note religious fanatic and will be a formidable player.

• Love 1
(edited)

What confuses me if they change the heir rule in Dorne is what is the difference between Dorne and the rest of the world? Is it just that they are more free about sexuality?

And they treat their bastards well.  But yeah, open sexuality is probably the only thing that really interests D and D..

They could make it up if they decide that Myrcella should be on the throne because of Dorne's inheritance rules (they do mention that she is now the oldest of King Robert's children).  Though they could have made that cause easier with Arianne.  Not to mention the fact that they established it was Oberyn's father who was the ruler of Dorne and not their mother.

As for Siddig's casting, I would imagine fan interest in him for the role definitely helped.  He'd been suggested for that (and Oberyn before it) for at least 2-3 years.  It's a great choice and one I'm excited to see.

Edited by benteen
(edited)

They could make it up if they decide that Myrcella should be on the throne because of Dorne's inheritance rules (they do mention that she is now the oldest of King Robert's children).  Though they could have made that cause easier with Arianne.  Not to mention the fact that they established it was Oberyn's father who was the ruler of Dorne and not their mother.

Well, they established that Oberyn visited Casterly Rock with his father, which isn't quite the same thing. Though I don't know why they'd change that if not to alter the inheritance rules. Or at least to conceal them for some reason, and I can't think of any reason why that would be necessary.

It would make sense if they were changing the inheritance rules because they were deleting the Queenmaker story, but then why would they cast all the Sand Snakes and whatnot? Is there a different way they could play that storyline that would leave out the inheritance issues? Like, maybe it's purely reactive -- Jaime sneaks into Dorne to rescue Myrcella, and the Sand Snakes plot is just to keep her there, perhaps by putting the marriage to Trystane on the fast track against Doran's will? I guess I can see why that might have some appeal for the writers, to define the Sand Snakes in opposition to a main character like Jaime, and to make him the prime mover of the storyline.

I also had another crazy thought. There's been a lot of speculation that the writers will be incorporating Arianne's and Quentyn's storylines into Trystane's for the sake of character economy. What if they're incorporating Young Griff's as well? Isn't Trystane about the right age to have been a baby when the Mountain killed Aegon? And wouldn't it make sense for Doran to raise his nephew as his own son as part of his secret commitment to the Targaryens and his family's revenge? That would also explain why they'd incorporate all of Doran's children into Trystane rather than Quentyn (too old) or Arianne (too female).

Edited by Dev F

GRRM has revealed that he won't be writing a script for Season 5 because he has a book to finish.  I'm sorry that he won't be writing a script for Season 5 because I have enjoyed the episodes he's written but glad to see at least one sign that he's going to spend a little more time focusing on Winds of Winter.

The article provides information about one character who will be in the Winds of Winter prologue...

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/07/26/george-r-r-martin-wont-writing-episode-season-5-talks-winds-winter-prologue/

• Love 1

I also had another crazy thought. There's been a lot of speculation that the writers will be incorporating Arianne's and Quentyn's storylines into Trystane's for the sake of character economy. What if they're incorporating Young Griff's as well? Isn't Trystane about the right age to have been a baby when the Mountain killed Aegon? And wouldn't it make sense for Doran to raise his nephew as his own son as part of his secret commitment to the Targaryens and his family's revenge? That would also explain why they'd incorporate all of Doran's children into Trystane rather than Quentyn (too old) or Arianne (too female).

That would be an interesting direction for them to take, especially since we know the least about Trystane in the books at this point, so it's not like he has much personality to alter.  I hope that whatever they decide, they can figure out how to make sure that Varys and Illyrio's role in all of this still makes sense.

There's a really interesting discussion going on along with this article regarding Arianne's omission: http://watchersonthewall.com/arianne-question/.  Lots of speculation about how they'll allot time for the different Sand Snakes and Doran, and how Ellaria might end up being incorporated.

That would be an interesting direction for them to take, especially since we know the least about Trystane in the books at this point, so it's not like he has much personality to alter.  I hope that whatever they decide, they can figure out how to make sure that Varys and Illyrio's role in all of this still makes sense.

If Trystane is (f)Aegon, it seems like Varys and Illyrio's role could remain pretty much the same, except that instead of delivering the baby to the former Hand of the King to train him to be a just ruler, they delivered him to the Prince of Dorne, who seems just as suited to such a task.

Come to think of it, that might also explain why Trystane needs to be reimagined as the heir, rather than the younger brother of Arianne the heir -- because it's entirely plausible that the future prince of Dorne is undergoing intensive rulership training, but training up the spare would be pretty suspicious.

The biggest problem with the idea, it seems to me, is that it would make (f)Aegon's story an exact copy of what we all assume Jon Snow's story will ultimately be.

That's a very interesting theory. It actually works logistically. Would that mean that Tyrion goes to Dorne though? That would be kinda weird since Jaime is going there too. Reunion!? :D

Perhaps Trystane can start of in Dorne and then meet Tyrion and Varys at Illyrio's place in Pentos.

The biggest problem with the idea, it seems to me, is that it would make (f)Aegon's story an exact copy of what we all assume Jon Snow's story will ultimately be.

That's true :/

Although they are already pretty similar. It depends in what way Jon Snow's parentage will play out in the end. Perhaps it will be more important for some magic plot than for succession and such.

(edited)

I jumped from my chair when i went on winteriscoming and first thing i saw was Siddig being cast as Doran. After Ellaria it is my second fancasting to become true. I am also very pleased with Sand snakes. In this case i am very glad Nina Gold had her own mind about them, because most fancasting for them was horrible - usually actresses barely younger then Pedro Pascal and also Bollywood stars...They look very different from the book description, but that is not much problem for me. Most important for me is Dorne to get enough attention in the show, which seems to be a case. Fans of Greyjoys and Northern lords will probably not be that fortunate.

I disagree about idea Sand snakes are just one note "kickass" character. For me they symbolise Dornish culture better then Arianne (who i like very much too, she is my favorite POV character). Arianne as princess is not so much different from Margaery. Snakes characters offer more freedom to explore how it is to live in very patriarchal, bastards despising world while being raised in very progressive way. Also their storyline - revenge is more related to Dorne plot then Arianne storyline, which revolve around her rights of being heir of Dorne. Which could come across very badly in the show without us being able to read her mind, she could easily be percieved as spoiled selfish little princess who just use her body instead of a brain.

Anyway i do not believe Arianne was cut because D+D are hardcore mysogynists. I am pretty sure it is because if they plan to finish GoT in 7 seasons, they have to cut a lot. Some might say why cut Arianne and not 3 Sand snakes, but it is not that simple. Snakes cost only what those actresses are paid. They are present in Dorne and later in KL. If you include Arianne, you also include whole Aegon storyline with his own supporting cast, screentime, battles etc. If D+D decided to cut Aegon, there is no story for Arianne, her part in Qeenmaker plot can be easily transfered to Sand snakes (it was originally Tyene´s idea in the books) and Trystane, who have his own motivation to crown Myrcella.

Edited by GaiusB
  • Love 1

More casting news from this morning, and reports of some actors returning for next season as well!

Looks like we're going to be getting a Darkstar-Lite, which, eh, but at least it's not an exact adaptation (I think this is the first and only time I'll ever have that sentiment!)  I'm also hoping that with the casting of another Unsullied character, maybe Grey Worm will survive the season.  

The other nice thing about this news is that it's further evidence that we still have more in store, even if it isn't major roles.  I'm going to continue hoping that we'll have some more Northerners joining next season.  I don't care as much about Greyjoys, but maybe we'll get one or two of those as well?