Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Skyfall

30 Minute Meals

20 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

There are two different reboots. One that has aired that takes old episodes and adds new update information called Good Eats: Reloaded and than a series that will be all new episodes called Good Eats: Return of the Eats that comes out this year.

Ohhh!  Thank you!  I thought I saw some kind of different show.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

And don’t you wonder how her talk show managed to win a Daytime Emmy?  I find it hard to watch.  

I know, it won this year for "best informative talk show".  It only got 2 other Emmys in 13 seasons back in 2008 and 2009, although it was nominated a lot.  I fast forward through a lot of it.  I will admit that there are some informative segments that interest me so I tend to zero in on those.  But why the show won for that this year is beyond me as I actually thought the quality of that stuff had gone down.

• Like 2

Today I caught the episode where she made a cheese, onion, mushroom "philly" (let's call it that) topped with giardiniera. And then she committed the same crime against some french fries.

One of the most disgusting things I've seen on the Food Network.

Edited by WritinMan
  • Like 2

I used to watch her old 30MM show and liked it, it was nice background noise and it was interesting to see how she managed to squeeze in multiple dishes into the 30 minute timeframe.  Many of the dishes even looked good and managable (even though I never ended up making anything that Rachael cooked up).

I just caught an episode of the reboot, where is making tomato soup with a popcorn garnish and a Reuben salad.  She is SOOOO hyper and manic that it's distracting - making faces and twitching and waving her arms.  I started to wonder if she's drunk or high.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, patty1h said:

I started to wonder if she's drunk or high.

Or both.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 2

1 hour ago, patty1h said:

I used to watch her old 30MM show and liked it, it was nice background noise and it was interesting to see how she managed to squeeze in multiple dishes into the 30 minute timeframe.  Many of the dishes even looked good and managable (even though I never ended up making anything that Rachael cooked up).

I just caught an episode of the reboot, where is making tomato soup with a popcorn garnish and a Reuben salad.  She is SOOOO hyper and manic that it's distracting - making faces and twitching and waving her arms.  I started to wonder if she's drunk or high.

That microwave popcorn in the brown paper bag idea was the bast thing she did in this reboot. I had never considered making popcorn that way. Since seeing it, I've done it several times and love it! Told my Mom about it and she does it now too.

• Like 1

Alton Brown did the popcorn in a bag many years ago on Good Eats.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, chessiegal said:

Alton Brown did the popcorn in a bag many years ago on Good Eats.

Yeah, well, didn't see it.

I wish she wouldn't have repeatedly SCREAMED HER ENTHUSIASM for it. That gave me a headache.

• Like 3

Her older shows were the best. I just made her Sloppy Buffalo Joes last night and realized I printed that recipe in 2009. It is a staple in our house. We put it over rice and it is delicious!

Sweet Jesus, this woman is abrasive.  I have to admit, I didn’t have cable when her show aired for the first time.  I remember people talking about “EVOO” and her special garbage bowl, for sale on the Food Network website (which I never understood; just use a damn bowl that you already have), but I never actually saw her show.  I knew she had a big personality, but wow, she is off-putting both as a cook and a person.  She appears to think it’s cute to run around the kitchen chasing her tail, forgetting things, flapping her hands, etc.  It’s just not cute to me at all, especially for a woman her age.  I’m watching the episode where she’s making Indian food and rice.  Her husband has joined her.  This dude clearly thinks he is too cool for school, bebopping around the set and grooving to music that only he hears.  Rachael full-on yells at him, barking orders and interrupting him at every turn.  All I can think about when I look at him and his gross, patchy beard is the fact that he is well known to be a swinger.  Different strokes and all, but yuck.  I wouldn’t mind so much if he didn’t come off as such a slimeball.  When she plated up the food, she unleashed this guttural growl that I don’t really understand.  This show appears to be the same kind of dump-and-stir food assembly fiasco that the Pioneer Woman has perfected.  Rachael will never unseat the Pioneer Woman as my most loathed Food Network personality, but she’s tiptoeing dangerously close.

Edited by Suzy Rhapsody
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

I forgot that tidbit about Da Cuz being a swinger. Didn't he get busted somehow? It wAs years ago, and my memory is fuzzy on the details.

1 hour ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

her special garbage bowl, for sale on the Food Network website (which I never understood; just use a damn bowl that you already have),

You would have to have been watching back in the day to understand the garbage bowl. 

It was just part of the things that made her popular. I very distinctly remember a discussion back at TWoP about the garbage bowl. One person said that she felt bad for the garbage bowl because it never got to hold anything but garbage. Several other people immediately chimed in with the same thoughts. It cracked me up, so I told the story at home and found out that my wife at the time also felt bad for the garbage bowl. 

When it eventually became something available in stores, she bought me one which I used exclusively as a serving bowl. 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2

I found myself thinking less of a co-worker who gushed that she "just loves!" Rachel Raye back when the "30 Minute Meals" show first started.  I try not to judge people, but couldn't help cringing at that.  I retired long ago and haven't seen that person for years -- can't help wondering what she thinks now? 

On 6/9/2019 at 12:08 PM, Suzy Rhapsody said:

All I can think about when I look at him and his gross, patchy beard is the fact that he is well known to be a swinger.  Different strokes and all, but yuck.  I wouldn’t mind so much if he didn’t come off as such a slimeball.  

Ugh. I just threw up in my mouth a little bit!

Whomever told Rachael, who is what 4'11", to wear a black and yellow horizontal stripe sweater on her show really needs to be fired.  All she's missing are the little black antennae and a beehive:/

• Laugh 4

9 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

Whomever told Rachael, who is what 4'11", to wear a black and yellow horizontal stripe sweater on her show really needs to be fired.  All she's missing are the little black antennae and a beehive:/

LOL if you think that's bad you should see what she wears on her talk show.  It's so bad I can barely tolerate looking at her.  No one could force me to wear the stuff she wears, not even to the local store to buy a loaf of bread much less on national TV.  For a while she was wearing another abomination sweater with horizontal stripes and a long frumpy black skirt with ginormous athletic shoes that make her feet look unnaturally huge.  BTW, she's actually 5'3".

2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

LOL if you think that's bad you should see what she wears on her talk show.  It's so bad I can barely tolerate looking at her.  No one could force me to wear the stuff she wears, not even to the local store to buy a loaf of bread much less on national TV.  For a while she was wearing another abomination sweater with horizontal stripes and a long frumpy black skirt with ginormous athletic shoes that make her feet look unnaturally huge.  BTW, she's actually 5'3".

Oh this was on her talk show.  I haven’t seen the athletic shoes, but I have seen the white heels she wears with dark colored clothing 🙄.