Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: Emergency Contact

Bort
  • Start Topic

Chastain picks up the pieces after the fall out with the corrupt medical device company Quovadis, leaving Marshall ready to charter new territory in the medical field, and Devon to finally discover the truth about what happened to Julian Booth. As Conrad and Alec team up to help a young gymnast experiencing mysterious symptoms, Nic focuses on her sister, who's back with their estranged father, Kyle, in tow. Meanwhile, Bell rushes to Kit's aid when her ex-husband comes to the ER needing emergency surgery.

Airdate: Monday, March 25, 2019

So basically this paves the way for Austin and Mina. I like Bell with bone doctor lady (Jane Leeves, can’t recall her character name) but I wouldn’t be sad at seeing her spending some time with ex hubby either. 

So one dad leaves and another comes in. I don’t want Marshall to leave. And it was cool that Julian was his secret weapon and he kept her secret. Although Dev looked hella pissed. But he got some, so he’s probably over it now. Can we move on from him being so super obsessed with her now that she will be gone for a while? Don’t mind the actress or character, but that was literally Devon’s only characterization since his wedding broke off. 

• Love 10

This episode had a weird vibe. It was kind of rambling and it also seemed like something bad was going to happen but didn’t. Dev and Julian were way too calm about her just leaving  Why couldn’t she just have the headquarters of her new company in Atlanta? She could still travel. Just seemed very contrived. 

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

This episode had a weird vibe. It was kind of rambling and it also seemed like something bad was going to happen but didn’t. Dev and Julian were way too calm about her just leaving  Why couldn’t she just have the headquarters of her new company in Atlanta? She could still travel. Just seemed very contrived. 

I agree. I thought it kind of strange that they'd stop Dev's wedding because of Julian, yet when she comes back, they announce she'll be gone all the time? Why did they even bother? And Conrad's dad...spent all that time making us like him afterall and now he's leaving? Doesn't make a lot of sense.

• Love 13
10 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Why couldn’t she just have the headquarters of her new company in Atlanta? She could still travel. Just seemed very contrived. 

Yeah - you are right there with the world's busiest airport at ATL.  You can go almost anywhere/everywhere from that airport.

And yes - who leaves their cat for dead in their apartment while you are hiding out. You could at least send your mom/dad to get the cat because surely they would have been notified of their daughter's car being in the lake with no body etc.  It would not be suspicious for them to come to gather some things (including the cat!!!!)

• Love 11

With the last couple episodes focused on the frenetic pace of QV, this was an abrupt change and slower episode for me.  However, the saddest part of this episode was Marshall leaving.  He is/was a great addition to this show; hope they don't wait too long to bring him back (if he's slated to return).  He'll be missed.   So he and Julian will embark on a collaborative venture to "right the wrongs" done by QV and make the name respectable again!   

BTW, I thought her escape was ludicrous/implausible.  I had never been a fan of  the Devon/Julian relationship maybe because it seemed too contrived and didn't like the way he treated Pria int he wake of its demise.  Also, what a weak and incredulous admission that he never really loved her - douche bag!  And have to agree with other posters, he was so frantic and worried all the time she was missing, then she returns and he's OK with her leaving??   But anyway, they've had their night/s together and he's fine with her leaving traveling the world (eye roll).

Happy to see the Mena/Micah relationship has ended.  For me, he never seemed the right guy for her and IDK, he just seemed like some "high school kid with a crush on the doctor"compared to the accomplished and serious Mena.  I just didn't see where he really "opened her up" to a relationship.  Anyway, I'll see if this clears the path with Raptor.

Glad Conrad has severed (no pun intended) ties with Alec, professionally.   Alec's definitely a bit unethical as well as sneaky--continuing to hit on Nic, knowing she's with Conrad, but she politely and firmly put him in his place.

What's happened to the devious, callous, immoral and at times, illegal Bell?  He's done a 180 this season and is kind, compassionate, caring and possibly, genuinely in love with Kitt?   Again, what's happened to the hand tremors, the destroying evidence (undercover copy playing hooker), his involvement with QV, etc.   You always need an antagonist and he was the one you loved to hate.  Now, he's just Mr. Nice Guy and has turned over a new leaf?  It was more fun when others (Marshall, Conrad, Nic, Mena, etc.) kept him in check.  Now they're all on the same side of simply providing the best patient care?   Since the show has been renewed for S3, I wonder if Bell will return to his evil ways/true form??

Edited by cathmed
  • Love 8

They did the gymnast's story line in House way back when.

12 hours ago, rhys said:

Corbin used to be in Psych playing the dad. He was great.

That's how I recognized him, but I had to mention Major League to the hubby..

• Love 1

I don’t really care for the evil turn Alec has made considering what a saint he was before but if Dr. Bell isn’t going to be evil, I guess someone has to be shady. 

The Mena/Micah relationship was always weird so I’m fine with it going away. It was way too soon for him to ask her to marry him anyway. I like Mena and Dr. Austin’s working relationship so I’m not ready for it to be complicated by them getting together yet. 

Love Jane Leeves, I forgot about her completely, her character really took a backseat during all the Quovadis stuff. 

Could care less about Julian. I’m glad she’s alive but Devon just broke off his wedding, he doesn’t need to be in another relationship. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, healthnut said:

The Mena/Micah relationship was always weird so I’m fine with it going away. It was way too soon for him to ask her to marry him anyway. I like Mena and Dr. Austin’s working relationship so I’m not ready for it to be complicated by them getting together yet. 

Honestly I was so glad to see this done. Mina and Micah being supposedly in love just never worked and seemed to just magically spring out of nowhere. I mean, they had nothing in common and no shared interests. And he seemed kind of blah. I'm not in love with the end game of Austin and Mina but at least they have something in common.

I wasn't offended that Devon said he never loved Priya - I thought that was rather honest, that they were likely good friends and their families were committed to the two of them marrying so he was making the best of it and at least they got along. I am a little offended that the relationship with Julian is being sidelined since why bring her back in an implausible way just to give her the boot again?

I feel for the gymnast but I did see this plot on House, and my big question is not how can she expect to compete after cancer but isn't this reveal hugely problematic for her career as a female gymnast? I mean, I understand the reality that essentially the only functioning hormones in her body are the female ones but I can see someone making a pretty fair argument that she's genetically male.

Dr. "FreeClinic Hotty" continues to annoy in his aggressive pursuit of a woman who has made it pretty clear she's with Conrad.

Nik's family continues to win the most dysfunctional award - and that says a LOT on this show, wasn't Conrad suspecting his dad of murdering his mom at one point? My prediction? Drug addict sister needs a kidney, Irresponsible Dad is a match but runs off before the transplant, leaving Nik holding her dying sister's hand.

And then increasingly creepy Dr. FreeClinic Hotty will sexually assault her. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Rap541 said:

My prediction? Drug addict sister needs a kidney, Irresponsible Dad is a match but runs off before the transplant, leaving Nik holding her dying sister's hand.

Sounds plausible and likely to happen, cause Arnie Becker/Roger Dorn is only looking out for himself.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Venturing into Unpopular Opinion territory, Fair Warning:

I didn't mind Conrad and Alec's "Whose is Bigger" contest this week. I like Conrad, but he can be the most arrogant, self-righteous person sometimes, who seems to act like he's the only person in the world who truly knows medicine. Being shown up a bit by another doctor ( who, surprise, surprise, also knows what he's doing) is never a bad thing, as far as I'm concerned. It's okay, Conrad. You're still a great doctor. And good-looking. You're just not the only one.

What I didn't appreciate however, were the hints that Alec is going to turn out to be less than honorable, shall we say? I wouldn't have minded him making a play for Nic if he didn't know she was involved with someone, but he did, and now he continues, despite her gentle attempts to shut it down. At this point, I don't care whether she is with Conrad or not, she's made it clear that she doesn't want to be with Alec that way. That's it. Stop the pursuit, Alec. You're done there.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
12 minutes ago, TVForever said:

I like Conrad, but he can be the most arrogant, self-righteous person sometimes, who seems to act like he's the only person in the world who truly knows medicine.

All the reasons why I can't stand him, plus the fact that I am still confused about the actor's popularity. I think he sucks.

12 minutes ago, TVForever said:

You're still a great doctor. And good-looking.

Nope to this. Bland looking. The writers forget he is a resident, not the savior of all patients.

This show has a way of making things so melodramatic. Someone who decides to start a non-profit, as much as Julian (is this her name?) might have been lucky getting the money she needs, how long did it take for her to develop a plan, hire people, not to mention apply and receive the status she wants? But I could even suspend disbelief for all this if they had at least tried t write something close to reality re: she had to travel all over the world right away. Where is she going? Why? Does that mean she will never ever ever have a home to go back to? Gee.

Edited by alexvillage
  • Love 7
35 minutes ago, alexvillage said:

All the reasons why I can't stand him, plus the fact that I am still confused about the actor's popularity. I think he sucks.

Nope to this. Bland looking. The writers forget he is a resident, not the savior of all patients.

This show has a way of making things so melodramatic. Someone who decides to start a non-profit, as much as Julian (is this her name?) might have been lucky getting the money she needs, how long did it take for her to develop a plan, hire people, not to mention apply and receive the status she wants? But I could even suspend disbelief for all this if they had at least tried t write something close to reality re: she had to travel all over the world right away. Where is she going? Why? Does that mean she will never ever ever have a home to go back to? Gee.

I get that Matt Czuchry is generically attractive.  But he needs to stop cocking his head to one side and staring while grinning.  He just looks evil when he does it. There's a scene last season where I think he helped a dying patient end their life or something and he's giving that look.  Pure evil. It makes it hard to like him. 

Meanwhile Conrad plays like a young Dr. Bell.  If he doesn't get the arrogance in check, he'll end up being Dr. Bell in the future. 

Julian doesn't need a "plan, people or status", she's got Conrad's Daddy's Money.  At least that's how "drama" works on television.  My friend's non-profit was a lot harder to create than just saying "hey I want to start a non-profit."  It continues to be an uphill battle to find donors who will believe in the cause. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, kirkola said:

Julian doesn't need a "plan, people or status", she's got Conrad's Daddy's Money.  At least that's how "drama" works on television.  My friend's non-profit was a lot harder to create than just saying "hey I want to start a non-profit."  It continues to be an uphill battle to find donors who will believe in the cause. 

That's why I said I could suspend disbelief on that part - TV non-profit hit the ground running and without any bump, but not the fact that she needed to pack immediately, and fly immediately, apparently forever and all over the world. That part was hard to swallow even for this show. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

What is up with these writers? Were they expecting the show not to be renewed so they quickly ended the Julian/Devon and Marshall storylines. And now Alec is some creepy Nic stalker who lies to his patients when he was brought on being a nice doctor to the homeless. Give me a freaking break! Are they doing this so Conrad can save the day when he tries to sexually assault Nic? I just don’t know where they are going with all of this.

Besides seeing Corbin (miss Psych) I loved that Kit’s ex husband was the evil Kane family bodyguard from Veronica Mars. He still looks the same! I absolutely loved how caring him and Kit were- it’s nice to see instead of the usual exes fighting and being rude to each other. 

• Love 7
On 3/27/2019 at 11:36 AM, alexvillage said:
On 3/27/2019 at 11:24 AM, TVForever said:

I like Conrad, but he can be the most arrogant, self-righteous person sometimes, who seems to act like he's the only person in the world who truly knows medicine.

On 3/27/2019 at 11:24 AM, TVForever said:

You're still a great doctor. And good-looking.

Thank you!  and he's a mouth breather who is constantly huffing and hunched over.  Ugh.  Give me scenes with Manish Dayal any day.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I laughed the most at Julian's tremendous plan of hiding from the ruthless, cunning mastermind who had just tried to have her killed at her parents' house!  And for the sake of plot convenience, it somehow worked because he never thought of checking for her there.  Have the writers never seen an episode of any cop show/FBI show etc.? The bad guys always check the parents' house!

She was really callous about that cat.  It could have starved to death.

Alec really creeps me out.  He is up to no good.

I quite like the 'new' Bell.  It hurt me to see Bruce Greenwood playing such a nasty character.

• Love 1
On 4/17/2019 at 3:05 AM, Lilly77 said:

I laughed the most at Julian's tremendous plan of hiding from the ruthless, cunning mastermind who had just tried to have her killed at her parents' house!  And for the sake of plot convenience, it somehow worked because he never thought of checking for her there.  Have the writers never seen an episode of any cop show/FBI show etc.? The bad guys always check the parents' house!

She was really callous about that cat.  It could have starved to death.

Alec really creeps me out.  He is up to no good.

I quite like the 'new' Bell.  It hurt me to see Bruce Greenwood playing such a nasty character.

I've been binging The Resident the last couple weeks, and I'm almost caught up (not quite in time for the new season, but I don't watch TV live anyway). I'm addicted to the show, but the whole Julian hiding out at her parents' and leaving her cat really bothers me. Unfortunately, I used to work at a shelter, and pets were often an afterthought for people. We heard stories about people who would move and leave their animals behind all the time. It's devastating. That cat is lucky Devon cared about him. IMO, Devon should have just kept the cat, because Julian obviously doesn't care about it. 

I can only imagine the cops knew she was hiding out at her parents', and that's why they stopped looking for her.

Edited by thecatmeows
  • Sad 1