Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Dinner at Red Lobster

Bort
Message added by Bort,

Please take note: the Small Talk topic is NOT a topic for actual show discussion, it’s specifically for off topic discussion.

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

• Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  • Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  • If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Comparison topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

17 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Go 'Gars!

That's great!

It amazes me some of the details that the writers get exactly right when it comes to 1980's and 1990's Texas.

Like George's truck and MeMaw's Cadillac.  The writers really did some homework and knew that this is exactly the truck that a high school football coach would drive.  And MeMaw's car is exactly the car that a Texas widow would drive.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I was an only child with a working mom and I was sent to day camp in the Summer not because they were worried about me getting into trouble (I was a good kid) but because they knew I'd be bored to death at home all day, mostly alone or at grandma's house (which is great in moderation but not all day every day all summer long).  I was a kid in the '60s and '70s when we were free to play on the block without our parents looking over our shoulders every minute, but during the summers there were fewer kids in my neighborhood outside to play with and not enough parental supervision either.  Going to camp also gave my very own "Meemaw" a break from having to supervise me (she lived in our apartment building and kept an eye on me when my parents were working).  She didn't act like my parents, but very much like "Meemaw" in this series, LOL.

I think my mother decided NOT to keep putting me in vacation bible school because A) I hated it and B) I never got bored hanging out at home by myself. Shocker of shockers on a tv site, but I really loved watching tv all day. Nickelodeon when I was younger and soap operas when I got about junior high age.

• Love 5

Vacation Bible School was where I learned a good healthy hate of graham crackers and Tang.  Every day, year after year, the snack was graham crackers and Tang.  Each is bad enough by itself, but together?  The stuff of nightmares.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I can't remember if they say it or not on YS but is vacation bible school meant to be for the whole summer?  My mother didn't work outside the home when I was the age Sheldon and Missie are so we stayed home and watched TV and roamed the neighbourhood.  I can remember being a bit jealous of friends who got to go to camp - but I don't think any of them were going to bible camp!

• LOL 1

My parents decided to not practice religion in the home except for a generic prayer they taught me for bedtime--presumably to get me to sleep. 

I engaged in Church doings when my kids were growing up for a variety of reasons, the result being forays into Vacation Bible School, aka day camp. 

Having not grown up with it, I imagined the lovely young woman who was going to be minding them at the beach standing before them in sandals and a flowing beach coverup, sharing the Beatitudes and the Golden Rule with receptive, wide-eyed kids. 
I happened to share that vision with her later and she laughed.
She was just there to provide snacks, make sure they didn't drown, and have Band-Aids if needed.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
On 12/8/2020 at 2:05 PM, Browncoat said:

Vacation Bible School was where I learned a good healthy hate of graham crackers and Tang.  Every day, year after year, the snack was graham crackers and Tang.  Each is bad enough by itself, but together?  The stuff of nightmares.

Not to mention insulin surges and sugar shock. SMH

4 hours ago, GussieK said:

I’m just glad I never had to play Dungeons and Dragons. It seems like torture. 

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

My friend (who plays with a couple different groups) asked once if I'd be interested. I was like, uh, no thanks. I like board games and stuff but D&D does not interest me in the least.

There was a guy I briefly dated where our first date was ordinary: dinner and a movie. Second date? He took me to a D&D game. Ugh. There was no third date.

• LOL 4
29 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

There was a guy I briefly dated where our first date was ordinary: dinner and a movie. Second date? He took me to a D&D game. Ugh. There was no third date.

Could you actually explain what happened?  I really want to know.  I just don't understand the concept.  You are playing roles and engaging in imaginary play, but you are also rolling dice?  What is the point? 

• Applause 1
7 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Could you actually explain what happened?  I really want to know.  I just don't understand the concept.  You are playing roles and engaging in imaginary play, but you are also rolling dice?  What is the point? 

You have a character and there’s the guy running the game that rolls the dice and... honestly, I don’t really remember much. I was super-disinterested in it. I let myself get killed off, then called a friend to pick me up and got the hell out of there.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

You have a character and there’s the guy running the game that rolls the dice and... honestly, I don’t really remember much. I was super-disinterested in it. I let myself get killed off, then called a friend to pick me up and got the hell out of there.

Sounds like you picked a great strategy!

On 12/8/2020 at 3:44 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

I can't remember if they say it or not on YS but is vacation bible school meant to be for the whole summer? 

I think it was for just a week during the summer. 

5 hours ago, GussieK said:

I just don't understand the concept.  You are playing roles and engaging in imaginary play, but you are also rolling dice?  What is the point? 

I never played it, but what I learned of it was from watching TBBT.  Leonard came up with a Christmas themed one on one episode.  I kind of got the gist of it by watching that.  You roll the dice and lets say it was a '3', then the corresponding instructions for that number were something like "you walk up to the treasure chest and see two locks, and you must choose just one lock to open.  What do you do next?  That's as much of it as I understand!!  I'm not creative enough to role play that game.  Kudos to those who do play it. 

• Love 1

I played D&D a few times and enjoyed it.  As I recall, you roll dice for your qualities (strength, wisdom, etc.) and choose your character to make the best of what you have.  The dungeon master has planned the adventure.  When there is an action like opening a chest, you roll dice to find out what happens (e.g. whether the chest contains treasure or a monster).  D&D can be an interesting way to see how your friends might behave in various situations.

• Love 1

D&D is basically a choose your own adventure book come to life. The Dungeon Master (DM) is usually the author. They have the story mapped out and guide your adventure through their storyboard. Your character attributes and moves based on the roll of the dice. A game (campaign) can last one session or over many weeks or months. 

It's a lot of fun with the right group of people.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

It's a lot of fun with the right group of people.

It's not a lot of fun when the DM has a mad crush on one of the players, and makes sure that player is the Paladin and gets high rolls on all the positive attributes.  That game didn't last long (the rest of us got fed up), although I did like my dwarf.

• LOL 1
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

It's not a lot of fun when the DM has a mad crush on one of the players, and makes sure that player is the Paladin and gets high rolls on all the positive attributes.  That game didn't last long (the rest of us got fed up), although I did like my dwarf.

That does not sound like it was the right group of people.

• LOL 1
22 hours ago, Runningwild said:

And don’t get me started on spiral notebooks. 

Lefty here. I used to start my spiral notebooks from the back so that the spiral would be on the opposite side. It heavily confused people if they borrowed my notes, I had to explain it was backwards.

• Love 1

From the S04.E14: Mitch's Son and the Unconditional Approval of a Government Agency thread, which covers the episode in which

When the IRS accuses Sheldon of making a mistake, he’ll stop at nothing to prove them wrong. Dale is forced to get a colonoscopy and tries to convince Meemaw to join him.

in response to a request for more info on colonoscopy prep products that are easier to ingest:

11 hours ago, chitowngirl said:
11 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I’m not looking forward to getting a colonoscopy. I don’t have to worry about it for a while but still.

It’s not the colonoscopy, it’s the prep. The procedure itself is a piece of cake. And honestly, the prep isn’t THAT bad. It’s just easy fodder for TV.

8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
10 hours ago, ChitChat said:

If they could make the prep something other than that horrible syrupy liquid then it wouldn't be so bad, but after half of a bottle (which is huge), I couldn't take one more sip without gagging and almost throwing up!!  There has to be a better way. We can land a rover on Mars, but we can't come up with a better way to make a person poop their guts out in an easier way? C'mon researchers!  Develop something better.   

There is, but in the U.S. most doctors and their staff are ignorant of it. 

5 hours ago, possibilities said:

Please elaborate!

The really short answer is Clenpiq. That is what I last had in early 2020 (right before the pandemic shut down).
Prepopik was better because it was unflavored, but both are thin and watery, and a lot less volume than the default prep prescribed by doctors and others in their offices (maybe as well as the Mirilax + Gatorade combo?).

However, I now see an "ad" for SuTab, which does not seem to have any flavoring: https://sutab.com/media/SUTAB-FPI-Med-Leaflet_2020-11-12_2.pdf

I wound up with Stage 4 colon cancer in 2016 primarily because my doctors in 2011 said if I couldn't swallow any of the glop without gagging, I couldn't have the colonoscopy. 

Note: while in the hospital recovering from 6 hours of surgery and several more hours in the recovery room, I watched endless commercials (interrupting my reruns of Law & Order) for Cologuard, which allows you to send a bit of your poop out for testing (if you've never had a questionable colonoscopy).

In late 2019 when I scheduled my 2nd post-colon cancer colonoscopy, I explained at length that I couldn't have the standard prep and needed Prepopik, but it had been discontinued, so the person in the office just ordered the usual stuff. When I tried taking it and couldn't, I had to drive at 8pm to a CVS 10 miles away where the phamacist was able to figure out what had replaced Prepopik and get me Clenpiq.
A pharmacist is a great person to ask for more information!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

From the S04.E14: Mitch's Son and the Unconditional Approval of a Government Agency thread, which covers the episode in which

•  

in response to a request for more info on colonoscopy prep products that are easier to ingest:

The really short answer is Clenpiq. That is what I last had in early 2020 (right before the pandemic shut down).
Prepopik was better because it was unflavored, but both are thin and watery, and a lot less volume than the default prep prescribed by doctors and others in their offices (maybe as well as the Mirilax + Gatorade combo?).

However, I now see an "ad" for SuTab, which does not seem to have any flavoring: https://sutab.com/media/SUTAB-FPI-Med-Leaflet_2020-11-12_2.pdf

I wound up with Stage 4 colon cancer in 2016 primarily because my doctors in 2011 said if I couldn't swallow any of the glop without gagging, I couldn't have the colonoscopy. 

Note: while in the hospital recovering from 6 hours of surgery and several more hours in the recovery room, I watched endless commercials (interrupting my reruns of Law & Order) for Cologuard, which allows you to send a bit of your poop out for testing (if you've never had a questionable colonoscopy).

In late 2019 when I scheduled my 2nd post-colon cancer colonoscopy, I explained at length that I couldn't have the standard prep and needed Prepopik, but it had been discontinued, so the person in the office just ordered the usual stuff. When I tried taking it and couldn't, I had to drive at 8pm to a CVS 10 miles away where the phamacist was able to figure out what had replaced Prepopik and get me Clenpiq.
A pharmacist is a great person to ask for more information!

I was just going to mention Cologard, which I’ve seen advertised on TV often. Locally (eastern Canada) the Fit test is prescribed. Very similar to Cologard but I believe each one “tests” different parts of the colon or intestine or whatever. My DH went through at least 6 colonoscopies in the early 2000’s but now it’s the Fit test.  The first time I saw “Fit test” on the order for blood work, etc., I thought I would have to get on a treadmill. The nurse laughed.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Thank you for the info about alternative prep, shapeshifter.

I'm so sorry your own healthcare providers failed you in that way and that you are dealing with an advanced cancer as a result. 

I hope the information will help at least one person in a significant way.  
That is: Find a way to get a colonoscopy to check for polyps on your colon when they are small and can be easily snipped at the same time!

I am truly fortunate to be “cancer free” as of my last follow-up lab results in December. Only 20% of those who had the same treatment for cancer as advanced as mine was survived.

One likely life-saving choice (to have 2 surgeries at the same time) I made just because my employer’s insurance was going to run out otherwise. 

Talk about life lessons in not complaining! Heh, not that I’ve learned that one. 😉

• Love 10
23 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I hope the information will help at least one person in a significant way.  
That is: Find a way to get a colonoscopy to check for polyps on your colon when they are small and can be easily snipped at the same time!

I am truly fortunate to be “cancer free” as of my last follow-up lab results in December. Only 20% of those who had the same treatment for cancer as advanced as mine was survived.

One likely life-saving choice (to have 2 surgeries at the same time) I made just because my employer’s insurance was going to run out otherwise. 

Talk about life lessons in not complaining! Heh, not that I’ve learned that one. 😉

I've been avoiding a colonoscopy forever but have done the FIT test a couple of times - most recently about 3 years ago.  I'm sure I'm overdue for another one.  I have no family history of colon cancer but I know, I should do it.  It's just that 3 years ago I had gallbladder surgery then 3 separate endoscopies to remove gallstones stuck in my bile duct so after that I was not keen on the prospect of any more "oscopies".  Then we had the pandemic so of course that's my reason for not being up to date with this.  Add to that a totally irrational fear of anesthesia, plus it takes me a long time to recover from it.  I thought I heard that there was a way to be semi-conscious but I'm not good with anything that puts you in that state either.  I'm also not able to handle some of the ingredients in the drinks they give you to clean you out prior to the colonoscopy.  I get pretty sick on stuff like that.  I saw an alternative mentioned above that I'd like to know more about.

You are very fortunate indeed - one of my good friends went through the exact same thing several years ago and also survived.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I've been avoiding a colonoscopy forever but have done the FIT test a couple of times - most recently about 3 years ago.  I'm sure I'm overdue for another one.  I have no family history of colon cancer but I know, I should do it.

Just to encourage you (and anyone else) to follow what you believe you "should" do:

I am the only one in my family to have had colon cancer. Both of my parents lived to 91 without having colonoscopies. I don't drink, smoke, eat highly processed ("fast" or "junk") foods, and rarely eat any meat. I'm not overweight and I exercise regularly. 

And yet I had Stage 4 colon cancer, which meant I had 12 rounds of strong chemotherapy, 1/3 of my colon removed (fortunately a middle section, but either end would have been severely life-altering), and 75% of my liver removed (which fortunately grows back).

If I'd noticed the egg-sized lump over my liver during the pandemic and not gone to a doctor, I'd have died in 6 months.
Or, if I'd been 20 lbs. heavier and not noticed the lump, I'd have died too.
OTOH, if I'd had a colonoscopy even 6 months earlier, it would probably have been stage 3, with no liver surgery (the internal scaring of that surgery still makes it uncomfortable to eat normal sized meals 5 years later).
Or, if I'd had the colonoscopy several years earlier, a few polyps would have been snipped at that time, and I would have had another colonoscopy 6 months to a year after.

I'm not sure, but I think the Cologuard tests (that claim to look at the DNA in the sample) are different than the tests I had in the early 2000s (before that doctor retired); I think those FIT tests just tested for the presence of blood in the stool.
So Cologuard might be a good start.
There are also "virtual" colonoscopies. If they find something, you then need to have a regular colonoscopy. You could ask you gastroenterologist about that option.

6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

You are very fortunate indeed - one of my good friends went through the exact same thing several years ago and also survived.

Yes. At the time my mathematically-minded daughter (who makes spread sheets to relax) said to think of it as 10 people walk into a room, and 2 people walk out. I just had to be one of the 2 who walked out.

But I am also very aware that I would be much physically stronger today if my body had not gone through the major surgeries and chemotherapy. 
And going through that year of treatment was not unlike going through a year of the pandemic in terms of economic and other impacts. I was too weak to swim that summer. 
Last summer, during the pandemic, I could at least swim.

So: A colonoscopy is a small annoyance in comparison to all of those other possible options. 
♥️🤔♥️

• Love 6

Due to my family history I have had multiple colonoscopies. My father died from colon cancer in 1979. The flavourless prep sounds great and I am going to try to get it next time. I have some tricks that have helped me so I will pass them on here.

1. I hold an ice cube on my tongue for as long as I can stand it. I lean over the sink and let it dribble out to numb the taste buds. I then drink the prep. 

2. After  I drink the prep I drink some cold colourless pop ( 7up or Spite ) 

3. I use Lamaze breathing to keep the prep down it calms me and helps me realize that I will only have to repeat the process if I can’t keep it down.

• Love 1

I've had several colonoscopies with good results each time, so I am happy for those of you who have survived more serious results. The pharmacist who gave me my first prep prescription suggested drinking it through a straw and for me it has turned out to be good advice.  YMMV, of course.  With my last two procedures the anesthetic has been "propofol" (trying to outsmart autocorrect which wants me to say protocol) and reentry has been painless and I've taken my driver out to lunch afterwards. 

Edited by OlderThanDirt
  • Love 2

I'm 55. I had Cologard a few years ago. My doctor thought that was a good choice for me, for whatever that is worth. Screenings are so important-- whatever the inconvenience, it's nothing compared to the "inconvenience" of cancer.

I had a colonoscopy a few years ago, just maintenance :) 

Fortunately for me, my doctor said to prep by taking some Miralax pills and then drink a crapton of Gatorade with Metamucil dissolved in it. It was very easy to do, except at the end when you are basically sloshing from all the liquid, and of course going to the bathroom a LOT.  

At the end, though, you get the best nap you ever had. 

but we don't if everything is preordained like the bible says then there is no free will really .. her point was those kids didn't do anything wrong but got caught up in Gods lil tug of war... so all the babies were sent to hell (cause they wernt baptized) through no fault of their own.. when you start to really look at it its kinda fucked up

I thought it would be safer to discuss this here!  There are churches that believe similar to what you're saying and kind of equate God to a puppet-master.  Then there are those that believe that each person/soul has a specific purpose and God is here to help and guide us along the way.   I don't think it's necessarily God's will for someone to suffer/die, etc., but rather that soul's reason for being here.  We all go through hardships (some worse than others, of course), but it's to learn and further advance our souls.  Of course what I believe may not make sense to other people, so I respect everyone else's opinions on this.   

I grew up in the Baptist church and have some great memories from that, but as I got older, I started considering other ideas and found answers to some of my questions.  I liked that the youth pastor was encouraging to Missy.  She needs to know that it's okay to keep an open mind and explore other ideas.   

20 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I thought it would be safer to discuss this here!  There are churches that believe similar to what you're saying and kind of equate God to a puppet-master.

As you note, there are a thousand different ways to look at it, and you can find people who believe many of them.  My interpretation of what the Bible says is that man wanted to make his own decisions and do things his way, as opposed to having God guide him every step of the way.  God does not keep prisoners, so man was allowed to have his way.  This meant that Cain could kill Abel, and the Pharoah could kill all those babies.  

God did not abandon those who believed in him completely however, and had a Salvation plan for those wanting to make their way back.  Part of that plan involved Moses leading the Israelites out of Egypt.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, rmontro said:

As you note, there are a thousand different ways to look at it, and you can find people who believe many of them.  My interpretation of what the Bible says is that man wanted to make his own decisions and do things his way, as opposed to having God guide him every step of the way.  God does not keep prisoners, so man was allowed to have his way.  This meant that Cain could kill Abel, and the Pharoah could kill all those babies.  

God did not abandon those who believed in him completely however, and had a Salvation plan for those wanting to make their way back.  Part of that plan involved Moses leading the Israelites out of Egypt.

I do have to wonder about the souls off all those unsaved babies that died tho 

As a student of Theology 40 years ago I was taught that God does not predestine humans to sin, and this is pretty much universal among Christian faiths.  I doubt even the strictest Calvinists wouldn't have to admit to some freedom of will in order not to contradict a lot of what is in the New Testament.  Humans have to have at least a partial freedom of will or it contradicts the parts of the bible that implore sinners to turn away from sin and accept God's will for them.  If they don't actually have some real freedom to turn away from sin, they are predestined to sin by God and no Christian wants to believe that.  It contradicts God's goodness to force people into sin, not to mention makes them into puppets and not real people. 

The whole point of Christianity is that you are not determined to be a sinner.  You always have the freedom and opportunity to choose differently, and accepting God and God's will for you can give you the strength to make those different choices.  Otherwise why would Jesus and John the Baptist be calling people to turn away from sin?  If it didn't matter because we were already predestined then there would be no urgency to ask people to accept God and change since nothing you could do would alter your fate. 

The idea of discovering and accepting God's will is like a middle ground between us being completely determined and being totally free.  God doesn't make us at either extreme.  God gives everyone his will and his love to an equal degree, so we already have it.  But it's still up to us to find that love and will for us, and make those choices.  And then when we accept God's will we allow God to work through us.  So in a way when we accept God and find God's will we allow God to "determine" our actions.  Any other conception of this issue is IMO full of contradictions and inconsistent logic, but that's where I'm coming from.  I personally think the youth pastor is on the right track and that if Sheldon didn't have a lot of preconceptions and prejudices toward Christianity it wouldn't conflict with his logic and he might actually find it attractive.  But I'm fully expecting him to reject it at some point because he's too much of a scientific atheist.  I often wonder if he might have found scientific pantheism an acceptable philosophy if he gave it half a chance.

38 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I do have to wonder about the souls off all those unsaved babies that died tho 

Don't worry, I think they're OK.  🙂

• Love 1

Thanks to whomever moved my post to the right thread!!  I overlooked the Small Talk forum.  

2 hours ago, rmontro said:

My interpretation of what the Bible says is that man wanted to make his own decisions and do things his way, as opposed to having God guide him every step of the way. 

Well said.  It's this turning away from God that I believe will be our doom.  That and social media.  ;)  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

Thanks to whomever moved my post to the right thread!!  I overlooked the Small Talk forum.  

Well said.  It's this turning away from God that I believe will be our doom.  That and social media.  ;)  

Lately I'm seeing the likely cause of the ultimate apocalypse being "what evil lurks in the hearts of men" (Gibson, 1931, The Shadow), which seems fitting to me personally because when I would endlessly ask my mother questions she would often bring them to an end with "Who knows? The Shadow knows."

• Love 2

I'm not a Christian, so I have nothing to say about what Christianity believes. I have gleaned some of it from observing others, but never was truly taught about it in a systematic way.

However, I was taught in (Jewish) Sunday School that we are completely responsible for our choices, and that the role of God is as source of wisdom, comfort, and inspiration. It was not a reward/punishment system, and it was not about "salvation"-- there's no "original sin" and I was explicitly taught NOT to obey out of obedience, that to do so is in itself wrong, and that one must only act sincerely, not because someone else, even God, said so.

Why, you may ask, did Abraham bring Isaac to be slaughtered? Wasn't that obedience? No, it was trust. There's a huge difference. If he did it because he thought he'd better, or else, that would not be correct. To do something because you trust is not the same as doing something because you obey. But why did he trust? Because he knew God, he knew him in his bones, he experienced the presence, and this was the deepest thing about him, something that nothing else could overwhelm. To follow that deepest knowing, not knowing what will happen, even when it seems completely inexplicable, is to follow ones own self. It is not obedience. It is freedom.

What about Eden and the apple? You're an adult. You deal with the consequences of your actions. When you know things, you have to face them and deal with it. When you're naive, you might not suffer but you are oblivious, you're a child who needs to be protected, and it's stagnant. The "curse" to roam the Earth is the "curse" of being aware, of needing to devote yourself to "Tikkun Olam" (repair of the world), and of knowing that if you make mistakes, if you destroy the world, there will be no other. There's no rescue. Life is a responsibility. But God can be with you, by your side, aiding you in knowing what to do and comforting you when things are tough. "Turning away" from God does not have to do with obedience or faith. It has to do with the refusal to engage, and the bereft condition of having no source to draw on, no comfort or wisdom to rely on, and being out of sync with the Divine.

Yes, there are many examples of God appearing to intervene in one way or another. But all of them can be framed in the way of being aware, aligned with the source of power, heeding or not heeding signs and warnings, experiencing forces greater than yourself, and how do you react to that? Do you continue to seek comfort, or do you turn away? Do you follow guidance, or do you resist it? Good results come from following guidance.

Sometimes we don't understand what's happening or why, but our mission is to always seek that understanding, not to just obey out of fear of punishment or seeking of reward. God is powerful. Sometimes when you deal with a powerful entity, it's terrifying, sometimes it's blissful, sometimes it's confusing, sometimes it's illuminating. But that's just how we react, it's more about us than about the Divine. Staring at the sun might blind you. It's just the way it is. Sometimes a volcano erupts. It's just the way it is. Our mission is to keep seeking the alignment and connection, and to be the best we can be, by our own striving to be righteous (good). It's not about tossing out our egos to submit. It's about aspiring to be better ourselves, to be close to the Divine by being more and more like God, by becoming our best, most righteous (good) selves and acting out of a deeper and deeper knowing of what that is.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Jaded said:

Everytime I check this thread the title makes me start craving  Cheddar Bay Biscuits 

I remember Melissa in her gown and tiara asking George to sit next to her as they ate. That was a great scene for them.

• Love 2

A number of weeks ago, I entered one of those contests that various tv stations had to publicize the entrance of Young Sheldon into the syndication market.

I was pleasantly surprised to win one of the minor prizes.  I am now I possession of a Young Sheldon Rubix’s Cube.  It’s smaller than the standard Cube, and instead of the various colors on each side, there are pictures of Sheldon, Missy, Georgie, Mary, George and Meemaw.  I am debating over whether or not to remove the shrink wrap and try to solve it….

• Love 3
On 10/30/2021 at 11:23 PM, marypat57 said:

A number of weeks ago, I entered one of those contests that various tv stations had to publicize the entrance of Young Sheldon into the syndication market.

I was pleasantly surprised to win one of the minor prizes.  I am now I possession of a Young Sheldon Rubix’s Cube.  It’s smaller than the standard Cube, and instead of the various colors on each side, there are pictures of Sheldon, Missy, Georgie, Mary, George and Meemaw.  I am debating over whether or not to remove the shrink wrap and try to solve it….

Have you ever solved a Rubik's cube?
If not, try that first.

Some options

1. Try to buy a second one to open
  2. Wait a year, then reconsider
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

In 1974 I did go to a Star Trek Convention and had David Gerrold sign my copy of his book about the tribble episode.

I went to two conventions in the 90s. One with John de Lancie (Q), and one with Brent Spiner (Data) and Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar). I won the trivia contest and got a Deep Space Nine foil art thingie that I still have and had framed. 

image.jpeg.90fddbe32bad4410b7f45b025b072db9.jpeg

• Love 12

I believe that it was the early Star Trek Conventions that laid the groundwork for the gigantic ComiCons of today.  They were not very fancy; certainly not hi-tech.

Back then, it was all about protesting the cancellation of TOS.  I still have my tribble.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Continuing the discussion about Mary Kay and MLMs from the episode thread.

I'll leave this tidbit here: they don't get a "free car". If the rep doesn't meet the requirements they have to pay the monthly payment for that month.

This is a great resource about how predatory MK is. https://www.pinktruth.com/mary-kay-facts/the-mary-kay-pyramid/

https://www.pinktruth.com/2019/03/18/truth-about-the-mary-kay-pink-cadillac/

• Useful 3