Type keyword(s) to search

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs and Shaw (2019)

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

As I mentioned in the trailer thread, there is a part of me that just laughs over how the series apparently wants to forget all about how Shaw killed Han.  But then there is the other part that just loves the banter between Hobbs and Shaw, the chemistry between Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham, and cannot wait to see more of it.  And I love that they continue to just throw any brand of realism out the window here.  The villain is Idris Elba, rocking a futuristic super suit?!  Why the hell not?!!!

Also noticed Vanessa Kirby is in this one.  Between the recent Mission: Impossible and now this, I guess she's determined to appear in all of the major action franchises for her post-The Crown career.  I guess Borne or Bond will be next!

• Love 4

I saw this trailer. How the fuck did Shaw become a good guy in this franchise when he killed Han? Maybe this means that Idris' character will become a hero and staple in this new version of the franchise after this movie.

I have to admit that I did laugh at Shaw taking the elevator after the Rock jumped out the window. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

This looks ridiculous even for a Fast and Furious movie.  

I fail to see a negative here.

As I said in the trailer thread, with Princess Margaret as Shaw's little sis, I sure hope we get Dame Helen in this one.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I fail to see a negative here.

As I said in the trailer thread, with Princess Margaret as Shaw's little sis, I sure hope we get Dame Helen in this one.

I'm hoping for a Shaw family movie next.  Dame Helen, Jason Statham, and Luke Evans being Anti-Heros working for Mr. Nobody 

• Love 1

This franchises whole thing is to see if they can be more ridiculous then the last one. This one probably will succeed since it has super humans and them running down a skyscraper instead of jumping cars through them. 

Hobbs and Shaw rescuing Dom's adorable smiling baby on the plane was the best part of the last one. 

• Love 4

I never remember Shaw killed Han until someone brings it up. I blame too many movies (not really a complaint) and a lot going on. And I think that might be the one of the 2 movies (one being Tokyo Drift) that I didn't see.

I saw a trailer. It just made me more excited to see this movie.  (Surprised my screen didn't melt from all the hotness.) The fact that this franchise doesn't take itself too seriously, is ridiculous for ridiculous sake, is one of the things I like about it. 

Agreed, that Shaw and Hobbs working together was one of the best things about the last one. I'll be perfectly happy if they stop making them and just focus on Shaw and Hobbs. I cast my vote for a spin-off or prequel focusing on the Shaw family if I get more of Dame Helen and Jason together. They are good together and who doesn't love Dame Helen? 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, nicepebbles said:

I never remember Shaw killed Han until someone brings it up. I blame too many movies (not really a complaint) and a lot going on. And I think that might be the one of the 2 movies (one being Tokyo Drift) that I didn't see.

I saw a trailer. It just made me more excited to see this movie.  (Surprised my screen didn't melt from all the hotness.) The fact that this franchise doesn't take itself too seriously, is ridiculous for ridiculous sake, is one of the things I like about it. 

Agreed, that Shaw and Hobbs working together was one of the best things about the last one. I'll be perfectly happy if they stop making them and just focus on Shaw and Hobbs. I cast my vote for a spin-off or prequel focusing on the Shaw family if I get more of Dame Helen and Jason together. They are good together and who doesn't love Dame Helen? 

It also doesn't help that the timeline is screwed up because Justin Lin wanted to keep Han around.  I'm still not really even sure where we are in the timeline.

I think the order is 

1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 3, 7, 8, Hobbs/Shaw

But, they seemed to gloss over Dom showing up at the end of 3 since it's never mentioned in 7 or 8.

I watched Tokyo Drift once, it wasn't a good movie IMO, although Han is the best part of it.  So, i really don't have a problem with Shaw being an anti-hero or redeemed by saving Dom's son. 

• Love 2

Han was in a dangerous game even before the retcon of Shaw killing a dying man. The hospital scene to visit his brother however is another matter. But then the guards and healers weren't family. By saving Brian, Dom forgave and welcomed Shaw to the family. Although judging by the team up in the trailer he is more the black sheep cousin 

• Love 1

OK this looks like Stupid Fun and i'm down for that.  I love Jason Statham, The Rock and Idris Elba so this was practically made for me.  Hobbs and Shaw were the best part of the last Fast & Furious Movie, IMO.

I was actually hoping for a Shaw Family spinoff with Jason Statham, Luke Evans and Helen Mirren.  Maybe, if this does well, we'll get a sequel with those 3 plus Baby Sis.

• Love 2
On 6/28/2019 at 11:43 AM, Morrigan2575 said:

OK this looks like Stupid Fun

That pretty much nails it. Also, Princess Margaret kicks some serious ass. I guess 'Eteon' is the new baddie now? I wonder if Cipher ties in? I wouldn't be surprised if she's the 'director'.

• Love 1

Why, yes, I went ahead and watched one of the first showings tonight.  And, no, I have no regrets!

Basically, it was what I expected it to be.  Silly film, with a silly and hilariously ridiculous plot and my only major negative was that it was a bit too long for its own good (seems to be an issue with the Fast & the Furious franchise, although it at least hasn't reached Transformers bad yet), but I had a blast throughout it all.

It really does feel like Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham just have "lightning in a bottle" chemistry that is hard to replicate, because I probably could have watched just an entire film of them trading barbs and insults back and forth.  Even if the actual lines weren't exactly funny, they just sold every single one of them and were a riot.  Credit to ever saw this in the last F&F film and took full advantage of it, and I certainly we get more of these two teaming up the future, wherever it is as Hobbs and Shaw again, or in other films.

Vanessa Kirby was a welcome edition as well, and really fit in well with the duo, and pretty badass as well.  Only thing I wasn't wild about was them hinting a possible romance between her and Hobbs, since one of the things I liked about Dwayne Johnson is that his love interests in the past were around his age, but this is just another case of their being a fifteen year age difference, which isn't creepy or anything, but just atypical for movies.  Then again, the idea of them working out and Hobbs and Shaw being brother in-laws would be something to behold....

Idris Elba seemed to be having a ball hamming it up here.  Still seems a little beneath him since he seemed destined for much bigger things (and maybe it could still happen), but at least he was fun.

Hey, Cliff Curtis was hearing playing a Samoan!  Still not Maori like he is in real life, but closer than the normal Hispanic characters he ends up normally being cast as, right?

Eiza González's character seemed to be here to mainly get set up for future films.  And the return of Queenie was clearly because the series is going to make damn sure they take full advantage of having Academy Award winner Helen Freaking Mirren in their cast list!

Everything involving the Eteron stuff was so hilarious and ridiculous!  Certainly seems like they're hinting that Hobbs has crossed paths with the head of the organization before.  Of course, the fact that they brought Brixton back from death pretty much means I'm so looking forward to Fast & the Furious 12 or 13, when it is revealed that they've resurrected Han and/or Giselle (assuming they can afford Gal Gadot by then), and then Dom and the crew have to take on their family!

Spoiler

The cameos by Ryan Reynolds and Kevin Hart were fun, but went a bit too long at times.  And Ryan really was just playing Deadpool again.

The action was fun, but it did seem like David Leitch was holding back from his normal R-rated fare.  No John Wick, Deadpool 2, or Atomic Blonde style violence for you here, buddy!

Can't believe they actually made a reference to Statham's role in The Italian Job remake.  Which also had Charlize Theron/Cypher...

The movie is too long -- a lengthy sequence in Russia had me thinking it was the climax, until I remembered that we hadn't been to Samoa yet, and that was in the trailers -- but I enjoyed it a fair bit.  It's basically what you see in the trailers, tonally.  Said Samoan sequence continues the recent trend of the Rock more overtly integrating his heritage into his onscreen roles, which is great.

Since it wasn't practical to keep having the Rock and Jason Statham on set with Vin Diesel, their spinoff franchise rapidly acquires its own supporting cast and a new villain agency a la SPECTRE for them to fight.

Idris Elba's villain gimmick as "black Superman" is kind of undercut by the fact that his cybernetics only seem to make him about on the same level as the supposedly normal Hobbs already is (indeed, I'm not sure anything Brixton does in this movie is as impressive as some of Hobbs' feats in this or Fate of the Furious).

Vanessa Kirby is about fifteen years too young for the role of Hattie based on the flashbacks showing her and Statham as similar ages as children, but whatever, she's a lot of fun.  And her presence brings up vague echoes of Mission: Impossible - Fallout.

Kevin Hart's cameo was fun, and I enjoyed his and Ryan Reynolds' appearances not being heavily promoted in the trailers, at least as far as I can remember.  The one new character who was a bit of a bust was Eiza Gonzalez's mercenary contact; she's marketed like a mysterious badass, but her part is pretty flat.

The franchise's cartooniness continues to escalate, so I hope the next one continues this and gets the Shaw matriarch and the Rock's daughter properly in on the action too.  You just know the franchise is ready for a child sidekick.

I thought it was okay, but disappointing. The action is good, as are the three leads, but the plot is bad, even by F&F standards.

The worst part, by far, are the Leitch-enforced comedy cameos: Rob Delaney is fine, and Kevin Hart is tolerable, but Ryan Reynolds is an abomination. He's basically just playing Deadpool, and doesn't fit the tone of the film at all. It dragged the movie down an entire letter grade for me. It's truly the worst performance of the year for me.

Just as annoying is that his character is completely unnecessary. He's there to set Hobbs on the case, but Hobbs is already investigating it at the start of the movie! Similarly, there's no need for the Rob Delaney character, as Shaw's already involved because of his sister!

Also, this movie posits that Jason Staham (52) was a kid the same time as his sister Vanessa Kirby (31?).

Oh, and I guess they imply that Staham was secretly playing Deckard Shaw in the F. Gary Gray *Italian Job*? Does that mean that Charlize's Cipher is also *her* character from that movie?

Edited by ApathyMonger
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I liked about Dwayne Johnson is that his love interests in the past were around his age, but this is just another case of their being a fifteen year age difference

Cybernetic-implanted baddie? No problem. Programmable virus? Sure thing. Hot rod train pulling down an attack chopper? Right there with ya.

Jason Statham and Vanessa Kirby were kids together? Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense!

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I found this to be the mindless action that I expect from the Fast and the Furious franchise.  I agree with the "too long" sentiment.  I stepped out to the ladies' room shortly after they got to Samoa, and didn't miss a thing. I stayed for the credits hoping to see a reveal of Charlize Theron's character, but no dice (I stayed until the end so I don't think I missed it). 

I don't mind cameos, but Ryan Reynolds works for me only in small doses, and Kevin Hart is one of the least funny "comedians" in recent memory for me.  So we could have cut 10 minutes from the film and still maintained the entertainment value.

Vanessa Kirby looks much older to me, so I didn't have much issue with the age difference.  But that kiss was dry as hell.  I think Carla Gugino might be the only actress to date with some semblance of chemistry with Johnson.

As for Shaw siblings - I could have sworn that Luke Evans' character from 2-3 films ago was a Shaw, and his death the entire reason Jason Statham was introduced into the franchise.  I don't expect anything remotely resembling plot consistency in these films, but family is supposedly a a central tenet so at least acknowledge the lost sibling? Maybe I missed said acknowledgement during my break.   

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

As for Shaw siblings - I could have sworn that Luke Evans' character from 2-3 films ago was a Shaw, and his death the entire reason Jason Statham was introduced into the franchise.  I don't expect anything remotely resembling plot consistency in these films, but family is supposedly a a central tenet so at least acknowledge the lost sibling? Maybe I missed said acknowledgement during my break.   

Owen did not die but was in coma, but he was reunited with Deckard in the last Furious film where they both teamed up to save Dom's son.

• Love 1
On 2/4/2019 at 7:35 PM, theredhead77 said:

I am there for this movie and all its insanity.

And I was not disappointed. I laughed, I cried, I cheered. If it were 15 minutes shorter it would have been perfect. There were a couple of people near me who obviously had no idea what the F&F franchise is about and thought it was a terrible movie. Um, you don't watch a F&F movie for the Oscar-winning performances or the logical, average-joe escapes. 

One of the things I love about the entire franchise is how it balances the objectification of women with making women strong and capable badasses.

I cannot wait to watch this over and over on USA or TNT or On Demand.

12 hours ago, nilyank said:

Owen did not die but was in coma, but he was reunited with Deckard in the last Furious film where they both teamed up to save Dom's son.

I was hoping he'd show up in this film since GE we have Mama and Sister Shaw but, I can hold off until the sequel. I'd love to see Hobbs and Owen Shaw interact since Hobbs teamed up with Some to bring Owen down.

I know people will hate Owen because of Fast 6 and Deckard because of Han (don't get that love) but, I swear Hobbs/Shaw and the Shaw Brothers team up to save Baby Toretto were the best parts of Fast 8.

• Love 2

I think the main issue with Ryan Reynolds is that he is a very limited actor in terms of range. I mean, he was lucky with Deadpool. But in other roles, not much else going on.

Edited by Robert Lynch

I actually liked Ryan Reynolds cameo in this movie. The Kevin Hart one was pointless and annoying. However, I'm guessing they're trying to build a team for Hobbs & Shaw just like Fast & Furious has a team.

The Russian thief fell flat and, so did the Hobbs/Hattie romance, it just didn't work for me. Way more chemistry between Shaw/Hattie (sibling) and Shaw/Hobbs (buddy cop) than anything romantic between Hobbs/Hattie.

For the most part this was a stupid/fun movie that was carried by the actor's chemistry and Idris Elba just being a great/fun villain.

I will say they have me really curious about Command. I'm waiting for a reveal that Coand is Han LOL.

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I will say they have me really curious about Command. I'm waiting for a reveal that Coand is Han LOL.

I think it's clear they have no idea who it is yet and will just make it whichever relatively big actor they can get. Maybe someone from the F&F series, maybe not.

I think making Idris a glorified henchman undermined him as a villain. I assume the ending with Command betraying him was there to allow him to come back as a good guy in the next movie.

17 hours ago, nilyank said:

I forgot all about this! 

42 minutes ago, ApathyMonger said:

I think making Idris a glorified henchman undermined him as a villain. I assume the ending with Command betraying him was there to allow him to come back as a good guy in the next movie.

I agree.  But hey, if they can make Deckard Shaw a good guy, why not Brixton? 

3 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I forgot all about this! 

I agree.  But hey, if they can make Deckard Shaw a good guy, why not Brixton? 

Aren't all the good guys in the Fast and Furious universe formerly bad guys/criminals with the exception of Brian and Hobbs.

• Love 1
On 8/3/2019 at 5:30 PM, nilyank said:

Aren't all the good guys in the Fast and Furious universe formerly bad guys/criminals with the exception of Brian and Hobbs.

And Brian turned bad, twice. Johnny Utah just resigned from the FBI and threw his badge into the storm waves, Brian went into illegal street racing before the FBI and US Customs made the offer he couldn't refuse recruitment to use him as an asset.  And thinking back beyond the "do you believe in ghost" line from Eva Mendes we really have seen nothing form Hobbs past except her no longer undercover Customs Agent. As far as I know Hobb's and Han never had any problem more that the rest of the Fast Five team

I spent the entire movie expecting a return of Owen Shaw, was he sent back to prison like his mother after helping to rescue the baby?  Then I thought I heard Deckard say he killed his brother because of the fake news. I guess it was "killed for" and I just missed the line

While I never understood Kevin Hart as a stand up I do like him paired with The Rock , I await Central Intelligence II. I will be the heretic on this site  and I really liked his bored ex Delta Force operative Air Marshal  giving his out his calling card and resume but not recognizing the world's three most wanted.

I wonder why they de-aged and recast Hobbs' daughter?

11 hours ago, Raja said:

I spent the entire movie expecting a return of Owen Shaw, was he sent back to prison like his mother after helping to rescue the baby?  Then I thought I heard Deckard say he killed his brother because of the fake news. I guess it was "killed for" and I just missed the line

He was talking about Brixton, Deckard "killed" Brixton when Brixton tried to recruit him for Etheon. 

On 8/3/2019 at 8:30 PM, nilyank said:

Maybe I should have written protagonist.  Deckard Shaw is the only "redeemed" character to date who has murdered one of the core team, right? That's what I was thinking of. Not really arguing criminal vs not, as I don't any hands are clean in that regard, including Hobbs. 

I thought it was fun.

Hattie is the shit.  Seriously, awesome addition to the franchise.  And Owen is still the weakest link of the Shaw family.

I want to know just how much of Rock's, Statham's, Kevin Hart's, and Ryan Reynolds's dialogue was scripted, but they had to have improvised a whole hell of a lot.

And Ryan really was just playing Deadpool again.

I got so confused when he popped up. I kept wondering if the F&F movies are now a part of the Marvel Universe.

The movie is too long

Seriously. This seems like a growing trend with these so-called blockbuster movies, especially the ones that are part of an established franchise. Does Hollywood now find it more profitable to make fewer but longer movies?

Since it wasn't practical to keep having the Rock and Jason Statham on set with Vin Diesel,

Is that "wasn't practical" as in "was too much macho in one place?" or just that Vin doesn't play well with others perhaps better able to pull off the physical action? 😼

Kevin Hart is one of the least funny "comedians" in recent memory for me.

I agree. He always, IMO, seems to be playing some slightly altered version of himself, and he also seems to be trying too hard. I think he'd do well to go back and watch Richard Pryor's entire body of work, assuming he hasn't already but didn't get the point. Pryor was eventually able to dampen down his personality and play different characters.

• Love 1

Even by the over-the-top standards of the Fast and Furious franchise, this was truly a stupid movie.

Every scene was too long. The "witty" banter failed spectacularly. And there is such a thing as too much action. Just a terrible movie.

I was somewhat amused by the Helen Mirren cameo.

On 8/12/2019 at 9:51 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Is that "wasn't practical" as in "was too much macho in one place?" or just that Vin doesn't play well with others perhaps better able to pull off the physical action? 😼

If you believe the rumors Vin is a Diva that doesn't play well with others, especially if they have a bigger profile (The Rock).

• Love 2
On 8/3/2019 at 3:33 PM, ApathyMonger said:

I think it's clear they have no idea who Command is yet and will just make it whichever relatively big actor they can get. Maybe someone from the F&F series, maybe not.

Toward the very end of Command's speech, they seemed to be slowly reducing the computer voice modulation until it actually sounded like Ryan Reynolds' voice.  It would be a huge (and fun) twist for RR's character to be Command, especially after all his ridiculous fanboying over Hobbs.

• Love 1