Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E11: Makeup Junkie Bags, Angel Shave Club, Kitty Kasas, Sonnet James

bilgistic
  • Start Topic

January 20, 2019

An entrepreneur introduces her lay-flat cosmetic bag; entrepreneurs from San Diego pitch their online boutique subscription shave club for women; while entrepreneurs present their functional and durable cat furniture designs. Last into the Tank is a mom who provides comfortable and stylish play dresses for mothers with young children.

Thanks for starting this thread. I don't know how.

Anyway, shaving subscription service for women seemed like a dumb idea to me. I sorta liked the make up travel bag but thought it could zip around more rather than just up middle. I can't remember other presentation s.

• Love 4

Those dresses looked like something a cult would wear.

Harry's, one of the larger subscription razor companies, already launched a women's spinoff brand (I was already using the men's one and have no reason to switch because razors are indeed all the same; at least they're charging the same price though), and there's also already a popular women-targeted company called Billie. "Our razors are pink!" doesn't seem a very strong point of difference, and the company's whole aesthetic looks really dated to me. 

I don't really wear makeup, but I really liked the makeup bag lady's presentation. 

• Love 11

I don’t really understand what was so much better about those make up bags than the million others you can get. 

On that same note, I really didn’t see what was so special about the dresses compared to the million others you could get for half the price. I love my Lands  End dresses and they look better/cuter than those, are great quality and when you have a coupon code they’re half the price! 

Edited by valdawn
  • Love 8

I don't like cats, but I was very impressed with their product and it seems very practical, truly born from a need.  Razor company, no, and no to the razor company woman...unlike makeup bag lady.  Wow.  I wanted to not like her, but I couldn't!  She seemed personable and funny without being a caricature, and she seemed to have made very smart business decisions.  Dresses lady, I'm sorry about your childhood, but was mom not able to play with you because she didn't have the right dress to do it in?  Can we not play in things other than dresses?

• Love 10

If I’m paying that much for a dress there is no way in hell I’m wearing it to play outside with my children and have it get covered in grass stains.  On the other hand, my daughter tells me I dress “boring” and “sad” and “not fancy” so perhaps I’m just not their target audience.  

• Love 7
(edited)

The fastest way to make me not buy something marketed to women is to tell me what women like, that you sell it, and that it's pink. Lori falls for that, I guess.

The fabric the "play dresses" were made of looked from afar like the double-knit polyester of yore. I hope it looks and feels better in person. I don't own a dress or have kids or a fabulous career or husband to whisk me off to dinner, so I'm definitely not the intended customer. I sure feel sorry for the rich mommies that haven't been playing with their kids until now, though. What's funny is, wearing high-dollar Lululemon yoga pants everywhere is something a hell of a lot of women aspire to do, so I'm not really sure what crisis is being solved with $150 (or whatever) dresses.

A cat cafe here in town has the kitty cubes. They are very cute and the cats really do use them, judging by their Instagram feed. My two cats lay on my bed or their window seat or the cat tree. They aren't interested in their other existing accommodations, so they don't need a cube either.

I can't believe the bag woman got a deal. Where were Kevin's cries of, "Anyone can make this!"

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 7

I already do Dollar Shave Club subscription service and the razors are white. I’ve somehow still felt sufficiently feminine. Also the DSC subscription price is much cheaper than hers, so she is pretty much charging a “pink tax” after all. 

• Love 9

The cosmetic bag lady was fun.  However, it just seemed like an expensive bag that I could buy cheaper at Target.  

Those dresses were awful.  There are cute athletic inspired dresses by Title Nine and similar companies.  I hope Sarah redesigns them.  She's fun and stylish so there's hope.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, marny said:

I already do Dollar Shave Club subscription service and the razors are white. I’ve somehow still felt sufficiently feminine. Also the DSC subscription price is much cheaper than hers, so she is pretty much charging a “pink tax” after all. 

I honestly don't care what color my razors are as long as they are different from my husband's so that we don't get them confused.

My cat would have loved those boxes.

The dresses were fine, but I wouldn't pay $140 US for a dress and roll around in the grass in it.  I would pay that for a fancy party dress.  Also, it's a little hard to roll in the grass, go down a slide, and swing on a swing in a dress.  That's what jeans and casual pants are for.

The makeup bags were cute.  Her shape would be easier to work with, but they were too pricey for me for a makeup bag.

Edited by AEMom
Typo
  • Love 2

I went on the Sonnet James site and I think the dresses are super cute, fun, and sporty. I normally would not pay $158 for this type of dress; however, since they are made in the U.S.A. I am hoping it is not a sweatshop operation. We are so spoiled by having such cheap clothing, and no one really cares to think about why they are so cheap.  I give props to that owner. She models the dresses on the site and kills it. I did NOT need Lori trying to bring out the sob story.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, retrograde said:

Harry's, one of the larger subscription razor companies, already launched a women's spinoff brand (I was already using the men's one and have no reason to switch because razors are indeed all the same; at least they're charging the same price though), and there's also already a popular women-targeted company called Billie. "Our razors are pink!" doesn't seem a very strong point of difference, and the company's whole aesthetic looks really dated to me. 

I don't really wear makeup, but I really liked the makeup bag lady's presentation. 

THIS. I liked the dresses but yes, or maybe Mormon, not that its a bad thing, but very conservative. 

I use Billie. I like it and they have great customer service. the site is very easy to adjust what you want. they send you a small sticky magnet for your razor as well. so it will last longer in the shower. totally agree, so dated. if you compare angel to billie, billie is way more forward. 

14 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I don't like cats, but I was very impressed with their product and it seems very practical, truly born from a need.  

There are plenty like it already on the market. Also, you have no guarantee your cat will actually like it. They chose their own sleeping/perching spots and usually can't be enticed to go to a spot they didn't pick themselves.

Edited by eel2178
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, retrograde said:

That was my first thought, also. I think their target market is the Duggars. Even though there are a lot of them making for a large market, they claim to buy everything used.

Edited by eel2178
  • Love 1

To roll around on the grass with kids, one (and one's kids) need to simply put on their play clothes, which are old and ratty.

And a $50 make up bag would not allow money in the budget for anything better than make up from the Dollar Store or Wet n Wild!

And get off my lawn!  And don't roll around in my lawn in your "good" dress!

• Love 5
On 1/22/2019 at 11:21 PM, rhys said:

Anyway, shaving subscription service for women seemed like a dumb idea to me. 

Actually, it's a GREAT idea because the razor blades in the store are WAY overpriced.  The subscription service is a small fraction of those prices; however, there are already enough out there that another one isn't needed. 

On 1/22/2019 at 11:52 PM, retrograde said:

19 hours ago, Ashlyc said:

I use Billie. I like it and they have great customer service. the site is very easy to adjust what you want. they send you a small sticky magnet for your razor as well. so it will last longer in the shower. totally agree, so dated. if you compare angel to billie, billie is way more forward. 

I also use billie.  Yes, they have pretty colors and are slightly more than the DSC, but the reason I like them much better is not because they are pretty pink but because the razor blades look just like the Venus blades with the five blades and the aloe all the way around the head.  The DSC blades weren't like that when I looked at it.  I also pay $9 every three months for 2 heads.  I bought a year long subscription for my daughter for Christmas.  So, yeah, like I said above, another razor subscription seems redundant. 

• Love 2

I just don't get the "play dress" for moms.  I typically don't wear dresses, so right out of the gate, I'm not her target customer.  If you are a mom who likes to wear dresses, then so what?  If you like to wear a dress to feel pretty/comfortable/whatever, why does that preclude you from playing with your kids?? Put on a comfy  dress and go play!  Or, if a dress feels too restrictive to really get down and roll around, PUT ON YOGA PANTS like the rest of us exhausted, overextended moms!  A woman can run, walk, jump, climb, sit in whatever she is comfortable in, and it doesn't need to be her one uniform to alert the kids "Mommy is dressed to play!" As others mentioned, there are other companies making cute, less expensive dresses, so I'm still unsure what this lady's pitch was about.  "I like to play with my kids, but I want to wear a dress!  If only there were a specific, overpriced garment that tells me its OK to play while wearing it!  And that I won't be publicly shamed if I wear the same dress to grocery shop,  go to work, or meet a friend for dinner!"  I'm sad her childhood was tough, but it doesn't sound like her own mother's inability or unwillingness to play with her as a child had much to do with her wardrobe selection.  I'm just guessing, but I'd wager it had more to do with her mom's addiction. 

The makeup bag lady was delightful.  The flat design makes sense for packing in a suitcase.  Laying flat also seems like it'd be easier to find stuff, and not tip over on the tiny little vanity space many hotels have.  Her bags are overpriced IMO, so as much as I like the design, I'm not a customer. $50 is what I'd typically spend on a handbag that I can carry around all day, everyday, for a year or until it's time for a new one (I'm obviously not a designer label kinda girl).

• Love 5

"Pink Tax" - ugh!  Do you know why pretty colored things cost more than boring black or unadorned things?  Because women (some) will spend more money for pretty.  Hey, if you want to pay $1 more for a pink razor, or hammer, or whatever, fine.  Have at it.  It is your choice.  But I get aggravated when people whine about it.  If people wouldn't pay more for flashy or pretty things, eventually, they wouldn't cost more.  Like I said, if it's worth the extra cash, and you have the extra cash, buy the "fancy" item, but quit bitchin' about paying more.   I buy "women's" razors that are more expensive than men's but I do it because I finally found a razor I like and I don't blame the manufacturer for my choice.

The dress lady actually made me a little rage-y.  Wearing a $150 dress will make me a better Mom?  Beacuse it reminds me to play with my kids?  Why?  I play just fine with my kids in my $20 jeans and tee shirts.  And I still don't understand how the woman's sad childhood parlays into these dresses.  Was she saying if her mom had these dresses she wouldn't have picked up drugs?  The dress would've reminded her to play with her kids instead of drugs?  (I am assuming drugs when she said addiction but I guess that could mean booze, sex, etc.).

I liked the kitty cubes.  Totally would buy some if I had a cat.

The makeup bag...I liked the lady and I am happy for her and her success.  She needs to stay out of Target and Walmart at her price point.  She should stick with high end department stores and Ulta and those type places.

• Love 3

I don't begrudge the dress lady for her successful business. Lord knows we need more small businesses to flourish and women entrepreneurs. But I honestly don't see what's wrong with usigng "activewear" to play around with my kids outside. I would be more "free" to play with my active wear rather than in a dress where I would worry about the dress hiking up and accidentally flashing my butt and/or underwear to other unsuspecting parents in the park.

But good for her, she seemed to have found her target audience. Sometimes, that's all an entrepreneur needs.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

And I still don't understand how the woman's sad childhood parlays into these dresses.  Was she saying if her mom had these dresses she wouldn't have picked up drugs?  

Maybe if she invested her money in buying dresses, she wouldn't have been able to afford her addiction?

• Love 1
On 1/23/2019 at 11:51 AM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I went on the Sonnet James site and I think the dresses are super cute, fun, and sporty. I normally would not pay $158 for this type of dress; however, since they are made in the U.S.A. I am hoping it is not a sweatshop operation. We are so spoiled by having such cheap clothing, and no one really cares to think about why they are so cheap.  I give props to that owner. She models the dresses on the site and kills it. I did NOT need Lori trying to bring out the sob story.

I hate it when the sharks so obviously set up the sob stories. It's one thing if people get emotional in the middle of their pitch and they ask why, but when one of them is so clearly reading off the background material and asking leading questions, it grates.

And in this case, like others here, I'm not 100% sure I understand the correlation between her mom's problems and dresses. I guess she was using it as a framework to say why being an involved mom is so important to her, but she can be just as involved in yoga pants or jeans.

They had a distinctly LDS feel. 

The cat cubes were a good idea, if not terribly original. Given that they run a no-kill shelter, I hope that this exposure helps them bring in money, that's not a cheap endeavor.

• Love 4
On 1/23/2019 at 11:51 AM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

You're right -- on the website there are much cuter designs.  However, who would want to play with your kid in a dress?  Also, jersey dresses like hers exist elsewhere so what the heck is really all that special?

And why did she wear the ugliest of her collections?  

• Love 1

I didn't see the big deal about the makeup bags, but I did love the makeup bag lady.  One of the most likable I've seen on Shark Tank!  Ever.  She did her shtick but when she was off the cuff, she was hilarious and knew her stuff.  Nice to watch a woman get on and not have a fucking sob story they are crying about. 

The dresses are supposed to work whether you’re playing with your kids, at the office, at an office cocktail party or meeting your spouse at a nice restaurant for dinner. 

Most women would be very self-conscious at an office cocktail party or restaurant. The dresses read very “day”. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

The dresses are supposed to work whether you’re playing with your kids, at the office, at an office cocktail party or meeting your spouse at a nice restaurant for dinner. 

Most women would be very self-conscious at an office cocktail party or restaurant. The dresses read very “day”. 

Totally agreed.  Plus, I would think if you are rolling around in the grass all day, you would not want to be wearing it out.  I just didn't see the need.  I can go down to any department store and find jersey-type casual dresses I can throw in the wash.  

I just found that hook as absurd unless you are in a cult that requires you to wear dresses every day, even when playing with kids.  

I also thought the dress she was wearing in to make that presentation was ugly as fuck.  I had wondered if Blakely was just offering a deal and then would back out on it after.  Or maybe she thought she could add more style to the clothes.  

Just another one of those companies offering products that already exist.  Perhaps the only advantage is if you want casual dresses you can throw in the wash, every one of them in her product line accomplishes this so maybe it's easy to find what you want without typing "jersey dress" and getting a bunch of body-con ones on Amazon.  But the prices were pretty expensive for what she's offering and I'd rather spend time scrolling on Amazon than pay that kind of money.

• Love 1
On 1/28/2019 at 5:05 PM, ljenkins782 said:

I hate it when the sharks so obviously set up the sob stories. It's one thing if people get emotional in the middle of their pitch and they ask why, but when one of them is so clearly reading off the background material and asking leading questions, it grates.

And in this case, like others here, I'm not 100% sure I understand the correlation between her mom's problems and dresses. I guess she was using it as a framework to say why being an involved mom is so important to her, but she can be just as involved in yoga pants or jeans.

They had a distinctly LDS feel. 

The cat cubes were a good idea, if not terribly original. Given that they run a no-kill shelter, I hope that this exposure helps them bring in money, that's not a cheap endeavor.

I would have liked to have seen a video of the cats interacting with the cubes, in my mind that was a big miss in the presentation.

• Love 3