Type keyword(s) to search

Manhattan - General Discussion

• Start Topic

IMDb attributes this to Futon Critic:

Set against the backdrop of the greatest clandestine race against time in the history of science with the mission to build the world's first atomic bomb in Los Alamos, New Mexico. Flawed scientists and their families attempt to co-exist in a world where secrets and lies infiltrate every aspect of their lives.

But Futon Critic has

(from WGN America's press release, May 2014) WGN America announced today that its second original scripted series "Manhattan" will premiere on SUNDAY, July 27 at 10:00 p.m. ET/9:00 p.m. CT. The first image of the ensemble cast from the 13-episode drama was also unveiled. Created and written by Sam Shaw ("Masters of Sex") and directed by Emmy Award-winning director Thomas Schlamme ("The West Wing"), "Manhattan" enters the world of deception, danger and sacrifices that characterized one of the best-kept secrets of all time: the mission to build the world's first atomic bomb. Filmed on location in New Mexico and produced by Lionsgate Television, Skydance Television and Tribune Studios, the series stars John Benjamin Hickey ("The Big C," "The Good Wife") as Frank Winter; Olivia Williams ("Rushmore," "The Ghost Writer") as Liza Winter; Daniel Stern ("Home Alone," "Home Alone 2") as Glen Babbit; Ashley Zukerman ("Rush") as Charlie Isaacs; Rachel Brosnahan ("House of Cards") as Abby Isaacs; Katja Herbers ("De Storm") as Helen Prins; Alexia Fast ("Jack Reacher") as Callie Winter; Christopher Denham ("Argo," "Shutter Island") as Jim Meeks; Harry Lloyd ("Game of Thrones") as Paul Crosley; Michael Chernus ("The Big C," "Orange Is The New Black") as Louis "Fritz" Fedowitz; and Eddie Shin ("Men of a Certain Age") as Sid Liao.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:

· Alexia Fast as Callie Winter

· Ashley Zukerman as Charlie Abrams

· Christopher Denham as Jim Meeks

· Daniel Stern as Glen Babbit

· Eddie Shin as Sid Liao

· Harry Lloyd as Paul Crosley

· John Benjamin Hickey as Frank Winter

· Katja Herbers as Helen Price

· Michael Chernus as Louis "Fritz" Fedowitz

· Olivia Williams as Liza Winter

· Rachel Brosnahan as Abby Abrams

I am reading the Women of Atomic City about the women who worked on the Manhattan project both in Oakridge at Los Alamos, so I kinda want to see this.   Buuuuut on the other hand, I am very worried it might be Sex in the City with a World War II backdrop.

I am reading the Women of Atomic City about the women who worked on the Manhattan project both in Oakridge at Los Alamos, so I kinda want to see this. Buuuuut on the other hand, I am very worried it might be Sex in the City with a World War II backdrop.

I, too read The Wives of Los Alamos. Is the book Girls of Atomic City by Kiernan? I've requested that e-book through the library.

I hope this show isn't a soap opera and actually historically accurate and will give us a glimpse of the tensions of that time. 

I think the had me at "I don't wanna set the world in fire..." It looks promising. I know the characters are fictional but they seen to have covered all the possible bases for complex personalities. 

So far, I'm in for thirteen weeks. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Since I never cared for The Leftovers, this show makes for a nice watch after True Blood and before the encore of The Last Ship.  So far, I'm enjoying it.  Hope it carries.

Also, when Frank was having that nightmare and the song I don't want to set the world on fire was playing, was that a Fallout shout-out or no?

Edited by bmoore4026

WOW.   Did they get the tension right or what?    These people are there to help end the war and save lives.    But on the other hand, their mail was being read.   Husbands couldn't talk to their wives about their work, even though they always had.   The pressure of knowing you were working on THE weapon of the war, but couldn't talk about it drove more than one person on the Project around the bend.   

Yeah, I am totally in.   

• Love 2

Since I never cared for The Leftovers, this show makes for a nice watch after True Blood and before the encore of The Last Ship. So far, I'm enjoying it. Hope it carries.

Also, when Frank was having that nightmare and the song I don't want to set the world on fire was playing, was that a Fallout shout-out or no?

Could be. As with any nightmare, it's open to interpretation. The full line is "I don't want to set the world on fire. I just want to start a flame in your heart."

I took the song and imagery as a love song to his family but also a love song to the "gadget" from him. He loves and wants to protect his family but is afraid for them. But he also loves and wants to protect his gadget but is afraid OF it. YMMV

• Love 2

I don't like the young wife. Whining about her mail being read—lady, it's WARTIME and you're in a top secret installation. Do you really not understand that? I get that the restrictions and dirt and unfamiliarity is frustrating, but get a grip. I also wonder what that look was among the other wives when she told them what she thought the project was. Pity? Uneasiness? Both?

I like that they're showing the toll the work is taking on the men. The pressure must have been enormous, especially knowing that the Germans were working just as hard.

Do you really not understand that? I

No she really didn't.   To her she should be able to write a private letter to her father without it being read.   After all she knew she wasn't a spy so what was the problem?   They should be catching the real spies not reading her mail.    That was a very real attitude of the time.   People did not get that if you even mentioned that you had lunch with General Groves' wife, you might give something away to the enemy.    Plus SHE wasn't working on the project, so why she should have to follow security regs?    

It was tough on the families to be under the same regs as the scientists.   The show did a great job of showing how everyone had to be so careful with what they did or say and the effect of keeping the secret on their psyche.   Her blowup wasn't just that her mail was read, it was everything coming out over that.    

• Love 3

I was excited about another limited-run drama, especially after seeing all of the reviews, but, after the first episode, I don't think I'll be sticking with it. It's clearly a quality production, but I just couldn't get past the fictional character/composites. I think this will be a disappointment to anyone who's read a non-fictional account or two of the Manhattan Project.

• Love 1

I'm sure Watterson was a better Oppie than the one in this series. What a twit, at least so far.

I agree, love Olivia Williams. Confused about Hickey. Either they're aging him with makeup, etc., or he's somewhat older than I've always thought he was.

Yes, I kept asking myself, "Is this character supposed to be (insert name)?" I guess we're not to append read names to the characters, but as the commenter upthread says, it's hard if you've read material about the Manhattan Project, or about Oppie, Feynmann, Groves, etc.

I guess it would be very difficult to create a show with the real people turned into characters.

• Love 1

I'm in, I think.  Maybe a bit too many square, clenched jaws uttering comic-book urgencies (the main character seems especially prone to declarative sentences followed by dramatic exits), but I like the occasional quirks and the emotional grind of doing such secretive and stressful work.  

• Love 1

I guess it would be very difficult to create a show with the real people turned into characters.

I remember the PBS series OPPENHEIMER, which covered the same story, but as a docudrama. It is possible to do, but I guess they wanted to distinguish their show from this. Still, it's jarring to have them interact with the "real" people but be fictional constructs themselves.

(edited)

Do you really not understand that?

No she really didn't.   To her she should be able to write a private letter to her father without it being read.   After all she knew she wasn't a spy so what was the problem?   They should be catching the real spies not reading her mail.    That was a very real attitude of the time.   People did not get that if you even mentioned that you had lunch with General Groves' wife, you might give something away to the enemy.    Plus SHE wasn't working on the project, so why she should have to follow security regs?   

It was tough on the families to be under the same regs as the scientists.   The show did a great job of showing how everyone had to be so careful with what they did or say and the effect of keeping the secret on their psyche.   Her blowup wasn't just that her mail was read, it was everything coming out over that.

As a navy brat growing up during the Vietnam War, I remember letters from my dad that had been censored. Maybe it's different if you come from academia, but growing up with a familiy member in the service, it was expected. I have no idea what it's like today in the serviced with email and skype., it would have been heaven to hear from and see my dad without a month wait for letters.

I really liked the look of the show, they seemed to get it right.

Edited by WyKnott
  • Love 1

I don't like the young wife. Whining about her mail being read—lady, it's WARTIME and you're in a top secret installation. Do you really not understand that? I get that the restrictions and dirt and unfamiliarity is frustrating, but get a grip. I also wonder what that look was among the other wives when she told them what she thought the project was. Pity? Uneasiness? Both?

I thought the smirks of the other wives was, "Oh, cute Newbie. She believes her husband." I think they've all probably heard a tale from their husbands and know they're lying.

• Love 1

No she really didn't.   To her she should be able to write a private letter to her father without it being read.   After all she knew she wasn't a spy so what was the problem?   They should be catching the real spies not reading her mail.    That was a very real attitude of the time.

I know! It must have been as if the Government were listening in on phone calls or scanning  email in the modern era! Good thing that sort of stuff doesn't happen! I like the show so far. I'm a sucker for period pieces, and the pressure cooker atmosphere makes it that much more compelling.

It was good; hopefully it won't get too soapy.

That's my concern too. I loved the opening cinematography and the costumes.

So the purple flowers among the white chrysanthemums were supposed to be a radiation induced aberration, right? Is that a real thing? In the 1980s during the forest fires in the mountains of California near Medford, Oregon, the blue Morning glories I planted turned purple after many days of the sun being a red ember in the smoke filled sky. I don't know if that's happening during the present fires, as I am now 2,000 miles away, and, anyway, I don't think it was caused by radiation.

Was it implied at the end of this episode that Frank is fooling around with the Mexican maid?

Her reaction to his monologue was pretty strange otherwise? 

On a related note, he seemed very sure she didn't speak any English at all.

The maids were Pueblo Indians bussed in from San Ildefenso. Though many people of the time would have referred to her as "Mexican" regardless, they were probably American citizens.

http://books.google.com/books?id=beSf-oNaHQ0C&pg=PA71&lpg=PA71&dq=manhattan+project+maids&source=bl&ots=m_nOQqFRMo&sig=Tpi28zJzVjXJvm66hrAit-UKZe8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=fDvZU92aCqO1iwK1zYH4Bg&ved=0CE0Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=manhattan%20project%20maids&f=false

Also, for some additional background on this workforce, search for "maid" in the transcript of this oral history interview:

http://manhattanprojectvoices.org/oral-histories/kay-manleys-interview

• Love 1

I didn't appreciate the gratuitous sexism (bribing the working women with stockings, tee hee, those silly ladies will do anything for vanity), and nice try trying to excuse it by having a woman do the bribing.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

You have no idea what a woman would have done for stockings during WWII.   Nylon was rationed.   You couldn't get new stockings for love or money. It was wear socks or go bare (and some women did draw stocking lines on their legs with makeup).  So bribing the women with stockings was the best way to get what the bosses wanted.   Those woman probably hadn't seen a new pair in months.   

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I didn't see the stockings bribery as sexist--although it certainly is open to that interpretation--but instead I saw it as an early example of the power of American consumerism, not unlike the overinflated value of tennis shoes/sneakers in the 1980s when poor teenage boys might kill for a pair of overpriced shoes.

Frank is so freakin selfish! In his career, home, family he is just one arrogant bastard. He turns in one of his men and causes his death. He ignores his daughter. He belittles his wife. He's not building the gadget to saves lives. He's doing it to stroke his Messiah Complex. 

Toby Zeigler! So what kind of drug was that (the bribe that the babysitter took)?

I love Toby Zeigler! I wonder if his role is done now. I hope not. I think the drug was Peyote.

• Love 1

Is anyone else having trouble keeping track of the scientists in this thing? I really liked that the first episode sort of threw you in the deep end without all that pesky exposition and character naming. But that came back to haunt me watching last night's episode. The plot hinged on one team of scientists versus another, but since I could only really identify a few people on Frank's team (and no one on the other guy's team), I watched a bunch of plot points happen and only really understood them afterwards.

Maybe they could all line up for a group picture or something? Softball game? Cafeteria food fight? Anything that will show the whole team together .

Also, what is happening with those stoves that a hot plate is safer?

• Love 1

"Tailgate party?" Talk about anachronism!

Not to mention the dinosaur/meteor theory wasn't proposed until 1980.

The escape attempt was a ridiculous contrivance. One of the problems with adding invented characters to a genuinely interesting historical story is that writers indulge in that sort of silliness.

Last week we saw mutant flowers, hinting at radioactive contamination, but this week they only just got their first tiny amount of Plutonium (and I think that's about right, time-wise). .

Implosion was a hard nut to crack. It looks like they are setting up Charlie Isaacs to win his way on to Frank's team by figuring it out. IIRC, it was actually some British experts on shaped charges that provided the key breakthrough.

Over all, I thought this was a real step in the wrong direction from last week.

• Love 1