Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

On 3/11/2021 at 1:06 PM, jird said:

I recently watched Agents in America III, the one where Bebe goes out on the ledge so Frasier can talk her down while they're renegotiating his contract, and I am wondering if they *actually* slept together, or if Bebe just pretended they did because Frasier was too drunk to remember. He wakes up alone on the couch not knowing what happened the night before.

I thought she lied about it too because she has no compunctions about lieing to or manipulating Frasier. Our most recent Bebe episode was "Morning Becomes Entertainment" where she ends up loving the spotlight and trying to tempt Frasier into becoming a vapid morning TV host with her. She blackmails a couple people along the way. Harriet Sansom Harris's Bebe is one of my favourite "love to hate" (or is it love to love?) characters. I think the show did a good job of only putting her in once a season. I feel like if she was a regular or semi-regular, it would have been overkill.

• Love 7
On 3/11/2021 at 1:06 PM, jird said:

I recently watched Agents in America III, the one where Bebe goes out on the ledge so Frasier can talk her down while they're renegotiating his contract, and I am wondering if they *actually* slept together, or if Bebe just pretended they did because Frasier was too drunk to remember. He wakes up alone on the couch not knowing what happened the night before.

You raise a great point: it would have been TOTALLY in character.  But I don’t think the writers of a 30-minute sitcom would have wasted such a juicy plot-point.  I would lay money that the possibility was discussed at the writers’ table, though.

• Love 2
On 2/24/2021 at 9:31 PM, VCRTracking said:

I'm calling it: Frasier now has to live with Freddie.

Late to the party on this, but I was thinking that it would either be that, or Freddie has to live with Frasier for some reason (so that Frasier once again has to restructure his personal space around a family member or members, if Freddie has partner or kids in tow).  

I have to admit that I still wouldn’t sign up for yet another streaming service unless the reviews end up being rapturous, OR if Lilith were a series regular.  Those are my terms, Paramount+.

• Love 7

Fun article:

https://www.gq.com/story/how-did-frasier-afford-his-apartment

Because I also can never get enough of trying to figure out how Fraiser could live that lifestyle on his Seattle local AM radio host salary! The article writer even contacted Joe Keenan (who wrote for Frasier) to ask how they would answer the question if it ever came up. I appreciate that even they knew the way he lived made no sense in reality! 

It's one of the eternal annoyances that comes up for any tv show is that none of these people can afford their apartments or houses! The one that has always made me nuts is the apartment on Friends, even the explanation doesn't ring true (it was Monica's grandmother's apartment and rent controlled), but whatever.

• Love 4

I always enjoy reading ken's blog but I hadn't seen that post yet. Good to know that the writers read these articles about the show too!

I'm very comfortable with my ongoing ability to overthink a tv show that has been off the air for years. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

One of the show's writers, Ken Levine, responded to that article and expanded further on the "how can they afford this?" issue as well:

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2021/04/can-frasier-afford-his-apartment.html

Thanks for that.  I did think the radio salary number was off in that original article.  It sounded more like a radio DJ salary vs. a radio personality salary.  Radio personalities are going to make more because people listen for them more than the music.  And if they get to syndication, he'd make even more.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Thanks for that.  I did think the radio salary number was off in that original article.  It sounded more like a radio DJ salary vs. a radio personality salary.  Radio personalities are going to make more because people listen for them more than the music.  And if they get to syndication, he'd make even more.

Yeah, I'm no math expert and that number seemed small to me, too. That definitely seems more along the lines of the sort of money my dad would've made as a DJ. Plus, considering how ruthless Bebe was with Frasier and her other clients when it came to negotiating/renegotiating their contracts, no way would she settle for a five figure salary for the people she represented. Not if she wanted to get her cut of that and make her fair share as an agent. .I've always chalked that up as a valid explanation for some of Frasier's financial wealth-he had Bebe helping him, and she would see to it people like him would get paid very well. 

I've honestly never really put much thought into how characters can afford places on TV-I know the homes are often out of their price range, but I don't really pay attention beyond that. But I am glad that this information's out there all the same :D. It is fun to see how they do (or don't) explain stuff like this away. I feel the same way about shows that focus on how the medical and law professions work :p. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

Frasier was in private practice in Boston. He could have made a lot of money there and invested well.

Maybe he got in on the ground floor of the dot com boom and got out before the bust?

Headline:

"Prominent Seattle physician indicted on insider trading charges"

• LOL 3
(edited)

On the one hand, I want to see beautiful apartments when I watch TV.  I don't want to see dumps!

On the other hand, this leads to people heavily fantasizing about real estate and geography and having very unrealistic expectations.  I'm sure shows like Full House, Frasier, Friends, Seinfeld, Sex and the City, Will & Grace etc. etc. etc. contributed to high real estate costs in San Francisco, Seattle, and New York.  

Frasier having a lot of money didn't really bother me.  He's a local celebrity and he's a psychiatrist.  I don't know.  It's not as crazy as when you watch Friends or Sex and the City.  Frasier is more on par with Seinfeld - both local celebrities doing very well for themselves and having the money to show for it.  Jerry Seinfeld's apartment wasn't magnificent, but he always had money and nice things.  But the show was very careful to explain that with him having financial success each time.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
On 4/7/2021 at 10:16 AM, msani19 said:

Fun article:

https://www.gq.com/story/how-did-frasier-afford-his-apartment

Because I also can never get enough of trying to figure out how Fraiser could live that lifestyle on his Seattle local AM radio host salary! The article writer even contacted Joe Keenan (who wrote for Frasier) to ask how they would answer the question if it ever came up. I appreciate that even they knew the way he lived made no sense in reality! 

It's one of the eternal annoyances that comes up for any tv show is that none of these people can afford their apartments or houses! The one that has always made me nuts is the apartment on Friends, even the explanation doesn't ring true (it was Monica's grandmother's apartment and rent controlled), but whatever.

I never got the sense that Frasier's show was just local, I always assumed he was on the level of a Dr. Ruth or someone like that, with syndication deals outside the area.

And this was one of the few shows where I never doubted that he could afford his lifestyle. I'm floored that someone calculated his salary at $27,000 per year. Even in 1993, that was low pay. I assumed he was making $250k or more with his radio career and having had a psychiatry practice for years before that along with his wife, also a dr in that field, his wealth made sense to me.

It's not like Rachel from Friends becoming a fashion executive out of nowhere after being a coffeehouse waitress for a couple years and with zero experience in the fashion field. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ljenkins782 said:

I never got the sense that Frasier's show was just local, I always assumed he was on the level of a Dr. Ruth or someone like that, with syndication deals outside the area.

I don't think he was syndicated.  Some of the episodes over the years revolved around him hoping for syndication and it not working out.  I remember at one point he's talking about his show, to Niles I think, and says something like " My show is heard every day by over half a million listeners in the Pacific Northwest and parts of Canada".

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

I seem to remember him even saying as much in an episode (the one where they try to go into private practice together):

If I were interested in self-promotion, I guess I'd be content with my radio show. Heard every day by over half a million listeners in the Pacific Northwest and parts of Canada.

https://tvquot.es/frasier/shrink-rap/ 

ETA: @WinnieWinkle and I posted at the same time :p!

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

I thought he got the opportunity to get syndication with taking over that show time in Spokane? I don't think he was more widely heard than that, but did he mention something like if you had a really good car radio someone could hear it - ugh I can't remember where! 

I do agree that $27,000/ year as his salary is not reasonable even in the 90s. Yes, I'd say he was making 6-figures.  If we go with the money he made as a very pricey psychiatrist in Boston and possibly some decent investments, then I can almost make myself believe it. 

What makes it hard to believe though is that he spent exactly the way Niles did. Niles, despite having his practice, was definitely spending Maris' fortune to support his lifestyle. Frasier didn't have that kind of pot of gold. Remember the episode where we meet his accountant who said he had to hire someone just to calculate his wine spending! 

I kinda figured Niles would probably have earned upwards of $200k- $350k. If Frasier earned a similar salary back in Boston (and maybe a little more), he might be able to buy a $1M+ apartment? Possibly. 

Sigh, am I overthinking this again? Yes indeed I am, it's one of my favorite pastimes. 

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, msani19 said:

I thought he got the opportunity to get syndication with taking over that show time in Spokane? I don't think he was more widely heard than that, but did he mention something like if you had a really good car radio someone could hear it - ugh I can't remember where! 

I do agree that $27,000/ year as his salary is not reasonable even in the 90s. Yes, I'd say he was making 6-figures.  If we go with the money he made as a very pricey psychiatrist in Boston and possibly some decent investments, then I can almost make myself believe it. 

What makes it hard to believe though is that he spent exactly the way Niles did. Niles, despite having his practice, was definitely spending Maris' fortune to support his lifestyle. Frasier didn't have that kind of pot of gold. Remember the episode where we meet his accountant who said he had to hire someone just to calculate his wine spending! 

I kinda figured Niles would probably have earned upwards of $200k- $350k. If Frasier earned a similar salary back in Boston (and maybe a little more), he might be able to buy a $1M+ apartment? Possibly. 

Sigh, am I overthinking this again? Yes indeed I am, it's one of my favorite pastimes. 

I don't think he and Niles spent equally. Meals, wine, expensive suits, yes, but Niles' residences were always sprawling estates filled with antiques and servants, plus the lake house and the beach house and who knows what else. Frasier had one really nice apartment and one accidentally live-in physical therapist/housekeeper (the position wasn't intended to be live-in at the beginning, she was supposed to do drop in visits for Martin, so that would have been far less expensive). 

So Niles spending Maris' money along with his own accounted for the extra fancy things he had, but I think his own practice could have supported a lifestyle similar to Frasier's.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

I don't think he and Niles spent equally. Meals, wine, expensive suits, yes, but Niles' residences were always sprawling estates filled with antiques and servants, plus the lake house and the beach house and who knows what else. Frasier had one really nice apartment and one accidentally live-in physical therapist/housekeeper (the position wasn't intended to be live-in at the beginning, she was supposed to do drop in visits for Martin, so that would have been far less expensive). 

So Niles spending Maris' money along with his own accounted for the extra fancy things he had, but I think his own practice could have supported a lifestyle similar to Frasier's.

Didn't Maris give him an allowance?

On 4/12/2021 at 8:38 PM, msani19 said:

Would Frasier's Seattle apartment be $1 million in the early 90s?  Does anyone know?  I'm a little surprised. 
Toronto is supposed to be very pricey and while an apartment like that might be $1 million Canadian NOW, I feel like 30 years ago it would be very different.

Frasier's apartment had high ceilings and a great view, but it's only 1 floor.  3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms I believe.  Then again there's no way that Frasier would share a bathroom with Martin so is it possible that it's 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1

He has a bathroom off his bedroom, as seen in the episode when Niles spends the night on a cot in his room.  Frasier was also well off enough that months of being unemployed didn't change his lifestyle after he got the whole station fired.

• Love 1

There are at least 3 bathrooms - Frasier's bedroom (has the big tub); the half bath near the front door and one off of Daphne's bedroom - which is a little odd since that room was originally Frasier's study, so why would it have a bathroom?  I suppose it could have been added by Frasier.

I think that Martin's bedroom has its own bath as well. 

So 3 beds and 4 baths?  I think we've seen Martin's bedroom once and it was a smaller room, like Daphne's. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, raven said:

There are at least 3 bathrooms - Frasier's bedroom (has the big tub); the half bath near the front door and one off of Daphne's bedroom - which is a little odd since that room was originally Frasier's study, so why would it have a bathroom?  I suppose it could have been added by Frasier.

I think that Martin's bedroom has its own bath as well. 

So 3 beds and 4 baths?  I think we've seen Martin's bedroom once and it was a smaller room, like Daphne's. 

3 beds and 3 1/2 baths since the powder room by the front door doesn't have a tub or shower.

• Love 3

There have been estimates that based on where the apartment is in Seattle currently, the apartment would be upwards of $3-4M. So going back in time, the estimate is around $1M. Of course, this is all make believe since there isn't really a part of Seattle with the view that he has (view of the Space Needle etc). Maybe $1M is on the very high-end of what the apartment would have been worth in the early 90s, but maybe possibly around 500k? 

Aren't there floor plans floating around for his apartment? I know I've seen one in the past but can't recall right now. I'll see if I can find it. I do think the place is 3 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms. Each bedroom had a bathroom and the powder room off the living room. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

This is one crazy-ass layout.  No worse than any other sitcom though.  The Golden Girls have to add extra dimensions in space to work, for example. 😄

That's the layout I was thinking off! It is a wild looking layout! The one thing that always, always made me laugh was when they would go into the very open kitchen to have private conversations! That design was weird. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, msani19 said:

There have been estimates that based on where the apartment is in Seattle currently, the apartment would be upwards of $3-4M. So going back in time, the estimate is around $1M. Of course, this is all make believe since there isn't really a part of Seattle with the view that he has (view of the Space Needle etc). Maybe $1M is on the very high-end of what the apartment would have been worth in the early 90s, but maybe possibly around 500k? 

Aren't there floor plans floating around for his apartment? I know I've seen one in the past but can't recall right now. I'll see if I can find it. I do think the place is 3 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms. Each bedroom had a bathroom and the powder room off the living room. 

Wow!  Thanks for the information.

It really is an incredible apartment.  I love it, and I love looking at it when I watch the show.

Now that I'm realizing the PLETHORA of bathrooms, it does make sense of how expensive it would be.  I can't believe I forgot about the ultrafamous bathroom / powder room right when you walk in the door.

I've never had more than 1 bathroom in an apartment!  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

It really is an incredible apartment.  I love it, and I love looking at it when I watch the show.

The one that makes me drool is Niles' apartment after he splits up with Maris. The beautiful staircase and the decor is my dream house.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

The one that makes me drool is Niles' apartment after he splits up with Maris. The beautiful staircase and the decor is my dream house.

That staircase is amazing.

I always crack up when Frasier yells in exasperation at Niles "You have FOUR roofs over your head!" The gift wrapping room, hilarious. Never change Niles! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

And that little passageway that Martin has to wade through to get to the bathroom. I love when he finds the aspirin in there and brings it down for Niles.

"Dad, this aspirin's expired."

"Well, it wasn't when I found it." 

2 hours ago, msani19 said:

The one thing that always, always made me laugh was when they would go into the very open kitchen to have private conversations! That design was weird. 

Yes! And sometimes you could hear what they said, sometimes not. Kind of like with the front door. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, msani19 said:

That staircase is amazing.

I always crack up when Frasier yells in exasperation at Niles "You have FOUR roofs over your head!" The gift wrapping room, hilarious. Never change Niles! 

They also used this on Will and Grace after Grace moved out.  😄 I'm pretty sure Will and Jack wrapped their cereal and milk and then opened it before eating breakfast.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

The only thing I didn't like about Nile's apartment is the lack of windows.  One could assume they were all on the "4th wall", I suppose.  But it did seem dark in that place, too.

I didn't think of the windows. Frasier's views gave me vertigo though.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

The only thing I didn't like about Niles' apartment is the lack of windows.  One could assume they were all on the "4th wall", I suppose.  But it did seem dark in that place, too.

Niles had a gorgeous house with Maris, too.  That one had big floor to ceiling windows, right?  I can picture Frasier there in a storm banging on the door during the Glockenschpiel episode.  "Dr. Crane, your Glockenschpiel has sprung to life!"  My point would be made better if I knew how to spell that word.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
16 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Niles had a gorgeous house with Maris, too.  That one had big floor to ceiling windows, right?  I can picture Frasier there in a storm banging on the door during the Glockenschpiel episode.  "Dr. Crane, your Glockenschpiel has sprung to life!"  My point would be made better if I knew how to spell that word.

Close enough. That was a great episode. I loved every chance we got to see Maris and Niles' house.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I didn't think of the windows. Frasier's views gave me vertigo though.

Me too. Any time someone went out on that balcony, I got immediate anxiety through the TV screen. A balcony that high up would need to have like 6-foot railings for me to even step one foot outside.

The only thing I didn't like about Niles' apartment is the lack of windows.  One could assume they were all on the "4th wall", I suppose.  But it did seem dark in that place, too.

Yes, even his original house (the small scenes we saw in it), it always seemed a bit dark and claustrophobic. I did love the lake house and the beach house though.

Well, Frasier used it as a study, but it could certainly have been intended as a bedroom. He just didn't happen to have a need to to use it as one.

Frasier's bathtub was my favorite part of that apartment, that was an amazing soaking tub.

• Love 5

I was wondering the same about Frasier's originally intended use for Daphne's room.

I was thinking he COULD have had it for his private practice.  See his patients in there and let them use the bathroom if needed.

But, he already KNEW he was the radio host in Seattle so that's not exactly needed, but maybe as a backup plan?

And it is kind of an odd set up for just an office.  But hey, if I had Frasier's money I'd want a million bedrooms and bathrooms too 😄

• Love 3

I don't think he and Niles spent equally. Meals, wine, expensive suits, yes, but Niles' residences were always sprawling estates filled with antiques and servants, plus the lake house and the beach house and who knows what else. Frasier had one really nice apartment and one accidentally live-in physical therapist/housekeeper (the position wasn't intended to be live-in at the beginning, she was supposed to do drop in visits for Martin, so that would have been far less expensive). 

When Martin moved in with Frazier, and Frazier was having difficulty caring for Martin, Niles and Maris offered to pay for a caretaker for Martin as his part in caring for their father. Daphne originally was hired for daycare only, but she had the impression that it was live-in. That's when Martin said Frazier could give up his "study" for Daphne's bedroom and  "use the can like everyone else" for his heavy thinking.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Do any of you use at least one quote from the show on at least a daily basis?

No, huh, just me? Oh ok then...yeah, whatever. That's not weird at all. 

My BF just randomly sent me a text with only the two words "harvest wheat" and I've been laughing ever since. He's a Fraiser weirdo too which a main reason I keep him around.

Edited by msani19
  • LOL 5
  • Love 6

One of my favourite episodes is "A Man, A Plan, and a Gal Named Julia" or whatever it's called.  Felicity Huffman's character is so hateable but the episode is hysterical.

When Frasier is trying to draw something for her in Pictionary she gets soooo impatient with him, and says in this big, exaggerated way, "UHHH... I DON'T KNOWWWWWWWWWW."  LOL.  That line runs through my head a lot.

It's at 1:08 here 😁

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I thought of a good one.  My brother likes to sing "How are YOUUUUU? I'm listening" in a British accent.  This is Daphne trying to sing Martin's jingle for Frasier's radio show, but getting it wrong.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

"I'll just add that to my list of reasons to die" is one of my favorites.

And sometimes I randomly say to my husband, "And you should know how to catch a banana!"

Edited by jird
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

I don't have a quote that I actually use a lot with people, but "Euripides, Eumenides" goes through my mind from time to time! I wish Frasier was on at a better time for me--if I could find it at 10:00pm on cable I'd be able to watch an episode before bed. It was on at a good time years ago, but it's been so long since it was in a good slot (for me).

• Love 2

Yeah, I can't think of one that I use on a regular basis with people, either, mainly 'cause I don't know anyone outside of my family who watches the show. But occasionally my mom and I do like to quote that poor guy from "Room Service" who kept saying, "Okay..." throughout the episode :p.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

On Canada they air it on CMT sometimes, which is really funny to me because it's the Country Music Channel.  And on something called "Deja" which I guess is Deja View.  It also looks like it's on Crave, which is Canada's version of HBO.

I like when Roz has to make a big speech about defending all of her purchases after borrowing money from Frasier.

I think she says something like "And the perfume?  Well I bought that for me.  Because I wanted it."  LOL.  Sometimes I say that to myself after going shopping.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8

Going back to the topic of Frasier's finances a bit. We've been rewatching some Cheers eps during the time Lilith and Frasier had Freddie. There are frequent references to them spending boatloads of money on the baby: biodegradable diapers ("Frasier, I maxed out your gold card."), expensive toys and accessories. I never questioned Frasier's net worth because of his local celeb status and from his past private practice. He made a lot money in Boston, invested it well, and luckily, he and Lilith did not seem to have a bitter divorce settlement like Maris and Niles did. Frasier took most his money and left.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4