Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

51 minutes ago, Athena said:

Going back to the topic of Frasier's finances a bit. We've been rewatching some Cheers eps during the time Lilith and Frasier had Freddie. There are frequent references to them spending boatloads of money on the baby: biodegradable diapers ("Friaser, I maxed out your gold card."), expensive toys and accessories. I never questioned Frasier's net worth because of his local celeb status and from his past private practice. He made a lot money in Boston, invested it well, and luckily, he and Lilith did not seem to have a bitter divorce settlement like Maris and Niles did. Frasier took most his money and left.

Yes, I think Lilith had too much self respect than to try to get a lot of money out of Frasier, although I'm sure he is very generous with child support.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Yes, I think Lilith had too much self respect than to try to get a lot of money out of Frasier, although I'm sure he is very generous with child support.

I never thought about this before but I think this is one of the few TV divorces where although there was animosity (especially on Frasier's side) there was never any mention that I can recall of Lilith taking Frasier to the cleaners or constantly trying to up the child support payments.  It's pretty clear that there was never any alimony being paid out which given Lilith's own professional status should never have been an issue.  So really kudos to this show for not falling into that particular trap.  I'd say it was refreshing but it is shows that came later that seemed to harp on the "woman is a money hungry shrew" theme.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I never thought about this before but I think this is one of the few TV divorces where although there was animosity (especially on Frasier's side) there was never any mention that I can recall of Lilith taking Frasier to the cleaners or constantly trying to up the child support payments.  It's pretty clear that there was never any alimony being paid out which given Lilith's own professional status should never have been an issue.  So really kudos to this show for not falling into that particular trap.  I'd say it was refreshing but it is shows that came later that seemed to harp on the "woman is a money hungry shrew" theme.

I hate that shit.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Athena said:

Going back to the topic of Frasier's finances a bit. We've been rewatching some Cheers eps during the time Lilith and Frasier had Freddie. There are frequent references to them spending boatloads of money on the baby: biodegradable diapers ("Friaser, I maxed out your gold card."), expensive toys and accessories. I never questioned Frasier's net worth because of his local celeb status and from his past private practice. He made a lot money in Boston, invested it well, and luckily, he and Lilith did not seem to have a bitter divorce settlement like Maris and Niles did. Frasier took most his money and left.

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

2 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I always liked that about the show and it really seemed in character for both Frasier and Lilith not to argue over money or anything. We see them working together to try and get Freddie in that one school in a Thanksgiving episode. When Lilith decides to remarry she tells Frasier in person. Frasier is honest in his feelings. He hoped he'd be first because he would feel like a loser and a little worried when Lilith mentions how well Freddie gets along with her boyfriend. She doesn't brag about it or use it to hurt him. She immediately assures him he's position as Freddie's father can't be replaced. It was really well done. 

• Love 11

I also like the way they agree on how to parent Freddie. There's that episode where he wants a mini-bike and Lilith keeps saying no, so he tries to appeal to Frasier, but Frasier sides with Lilith on that. So often you see one parent trying to be the "fun" one in those situations, especially if it's the parent that isn't with them most of the time. So I like that Frasier never tried to pull that sort of gambit and that he was always on the same page with Lilith about how to handle Freddie in those moments. 

• Love 9

Niles had the best reactions. I liked the episode where Bebe and Frasier sleep together, and she answers the door to Niles wearing one of Frasier's shirts and announcing they're all "sitting down to a family breakfast," and Niles doesn't change expression, just reaches over and rings the doorbell again.

• LOL 8
18 minutes ago, jird said:

Niles had the best reactions. I liked the episode where Bebe and Frasier sleep together, and she answers the door to Niles wearing one of Frasier's shirts and announcing they're all "sitting down to a family breakfast," and Niles doesn't change expression, just reaches over and rings the doorbell again.

"I'm just glad you're all right. I would've assumed she'd killed after mating." 

• LOL 14
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, BookThief said:

I don't have a quote that I actually use a lot with people, but "Euripides, Eumenides" goes through my mind from time to time! I wish Frasier was on at a better time for me--if I could find it at 10:00pm on cable I'd be able to watch an episode before bed. It was on at a good time years ago, but it's been so long since it was in a good slot (for me).

Frazier is available on Peacock, which is on certain cable systems. I get mine included for free on Xfinity.  You can watch the whole series when and how you want. II don't know if you can purchase it separately.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 4/29/2021 at 5:36 PM, stonehaven said:

Does anyone else yell "VENEER" and take a drink whenever they hear that word in life or on another tv show?

Not exactly that, but my weird tic version of that is that in addition to doing it with the word "veneer," this is also how my brain reads the name "Vermeer." So I'd be reading about the Dutch Masters in art history in college and bam, just "VERMEER!" every time I'd encounter his name. 

As for quotes that have stuck, the first that comes to mind is "Is it that you CAN'T learn, or that you WON'T?" Also "It would just look too weird!"

• Love 4

I liked "Frasier" back in the day, and I will still watch episodes on Hulu occasionally. While I know that having a main character tied down with an ever-present child can make for tough storytelling (unless it's a show exclusively about a family), it always kind of bothered me that Frasier was willing to move across country from his young son and see him only a few times a year, since this is before smartphones and video calls and all our modern ways to communicate.

• Love 7

Yeah - I don’t love that either. But as a condition of doing the spinoff, Kelsey didn’t want Frasier to be married to Lilith because he felt that he had already done that. I don’t think Bebe Neuwirth would have done it anyway since she only did a handful of “Cheers” episodes during its final season and didn’t even appear in the finale. So if there’s no Lilith, you really couldn’t have his son on very often. Moving him across the country put some distance between him and Lilith (not to mention the other Cheers characters).

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Frasier sequel coming to Paramount+ next year:

https://www.avclub.com/frasier-revival-tossed-salad-and-scrambled-eggs-comin-1847198034

I’m not sure how to feel about this. I LOVED Frasier, but what I loved about it was the interplay between Frasier, Niles, Martin and the rest. The closest comparison I can think of is I Love Lucy vs The Lucy Show (and Here’s Lucy afterwards). What made I Love Lucy special was the interplay between Lucy and Ricky. With all respect to Gale Gordon and Vivian Vance, Lucy without Ricky wasn’t nearly as interesting (I can watch several I Love Lucy episodes in a row, but struggle to get through even one Lucy Show).

The most workable scenario, IMHO, would be Frasier living with a very unFrasierlike Frederick. If David Hyde Pierce can't be coaxed into returning (and I've read that he and Grammer didn't get along), Bebe Neuwirth could maybe return as Lilith if enough $$$ were thrown around. If Lilith filled the Niles role (i.e. smarter than Frasier but even more repressed) and Frederick could be an acceptable Martin 2.0, the show might have a chance at working.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

(and I've read that he and Grammer didn't get along)

I don't think I've ever read that. 

The sequel news has been out for a while.  What we don't have is details about how it will be brought back.  It sounds like he might be outside of Seattle.  He talks about bringin back old characters but it's hard to tell if they'd be regulars or just make appearances.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Didn't he leave Seattle at the end of the original series?   I am just asking, my memory has always been horrible, but I do remember him getting on a plane.  I just don't remember the details.

Yeah he did, Chicago I think?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Didn't he leave Seattle at the end of the original series?   I am just asking, my memory has always been horrible, but I do remember him getting on a plane.  I just don't remember the details.

Correct :). He'd gotten a job offer in San Francisco and was planning to move there, but then at the very end of the episode, it shows his plane landing...but it's in Chicago, instead, because that's where Charlotte had moved to, and he decided to go there to be with her. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Wherever Frasier ends up in the reboot, there better be a Jack Russell terrier in the cast.  Maybe Eddie's great, great, great grandson.  Seriously, it won't feel the same without John Mahoney and Eddie.

• Love 15
On 7/15/2021 at 6:35 AM, icemiser69 said:

I just watched the Frasier episode where Daphne and Roz track down Niles' patient, because that patient had a crush on him.    I don't think any of that was humorous.  I hated it with a passion. Daphne violated that patient's privacy.  I don't care about her reasoning behind it.

I was hoping that episode would have ended with that patient finding out what went on and that Niles would have gotten his license suspended if not flat out permanently pulled.  At a minimum, Niles had an obligation to tell that patient what had happened and suggest to her that she see another mental health professional.

I hate Daphne and Roz in that episode.  Daphne innocently opened up the wrong file, but then she read it.  And assuming that maybe her eye just caught the info, she should have immediately closed the file and put it back in the briefcase.  Everything she did was absolutely wrong.

On the other hand she did have a point while talking to Niles that he's not exactly the most loyal husband out there.  But, she should have thought about that before marrying him instead of stalking innocent people and invading their privacy.

And Niles really should be more careful with his patient files.  why does he even need to transport them from home to office?  Plot reasons?

• Love 5
On 7/30/2021 at 10:28 AM, Katy M said:

On the other hand she did have a point while talking to Niles that he's not exactly the most loyal husband out there.  But, she should have thought about that before marrying him instead of stalking innocent people and invading their privacy.

She's comparing apples to oranges here, though.  Worrying about Niles potentially developing feelings for someone else is one thing; although she knew that there were specific circumstances in that marriage that weren't like the circumstances in her marriage. 

But thinking he could get involved with a patient is thinking he's capable of rape.  It's illegal for a psychiatrist to have that kind of relationship with a patient. 

28 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

That said, I don't think she would stop snooping.  There is always a chance that another patient could fall for Niles. 

There's a great chance a patient will fall for Niles. Many patients. It's called transference and it's very common in the patient/psychiatrist relationship.  But it's something Niles is likely trained on to make sure the appropriate boundaries are maintained. 

There's no reason for Daphne to snoop on the patients.

• Love 2

While I love Frasier, most of the plots haven't aged well. Even in show, by the end of their run I think the writers realized that. The difference in Frasier and Kate's argument turning sexual and Frasier and Julia's similar encounter leading to the sexual harassment seminar comes to mind. 

I aways figured that the show got some criticism about the Daphne and Niles romance being based on Niles' emotional cheating, with the snooping episode being their answer. But who knows?

• Useful 3
15 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Season 10 - Episode 8 Room with a View.

I hated this episode. 

I agree. I skip this one and all the ones around it having to do with Niles's heart issues. I know it's realistic that people get sick, but I enjoy Niles for his comedy, especially the slapstick. David Hyde Pierce is so good at it.

Every once in a while I'll see a scene with him and think, damn, he's good. One that struck me on a re-watch is when he meets Poppy. She's awestruck by him, tells him he's not like his brother, he's so charming. And then says something about him thinking less of her because of babbling on or something. His reply went something like, even if I was, I'm too charming to say anything. His body language, delivery, and the sparkle in his eyes was perfect.

• Love 4
On 7/30/2021 at 9:28 AM, Katy M said:

I hate Daphne and Roz in that episode.  Daphne innocently opened up the wrong file, but then she read it.  And assuming that maybe her eye just caught the info, she should have immediately closed the file and put it back in the briefcase.  Everything she did was absolutely wrong.

And Niles really should be more careful with his patient files.  why does he even need to transport them from home to office?  Plot reasons?

I like that it was brought up but I hate how it was brought up. Daphne was right he was married to two different women while thinking and in love with her. He was married to Maris for awhile when he met Daphne and fell in love with her. I could see her wondering/worrying about him falling for someone else after they've been married for awhile. I wish it had been something Daphne brought up although before they were married.  

• Love 4
On 4/16/2021 at 12:00 PM, msani19 said:

Do any of you use at least one quote from the show on at least a daily basis?

My husband I say, "ah, but if less is more, imagine how much more more would be" AT LEAST once a week.

Edited by the-grey-lady
  • LOL 10
  • Love 1
On 4/16/2021 at 3:00 PM, msani19 said:

Do any of you use at least one quote from the show on at least a daily basis.

Daily?  Can’t say that I do, as that level of familiarity with the dialogue is more reserved for The Simpsons for me.  But I do use the quote “Even my father’s father was a gentleman’s gentleman” with my dad when we do chores for each other at our respective houses and will joke around about being a butler.  I just love the way Victor Garber delivered that line, even though I actually don’t care so much for that episode overall.

• Love 6
On 4/16/2021 at 3:00 PM, msani19 said:

Do any of you use at least one quote from the show on at least a daily basis?

No, huh, just me? Oh ok then...yeah, whatever. That's not weird at all. 

My BF just randomly sent me a text with only the two words "harvest wheat" and I've been laughing ever since. He's a Fraiser weirdo too which a main reason I keep him around.

We leave at daybreak!

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, the-grey-lady said:

What's with you and daybreak?

(Oops, someone else got there.)

Insert quip about Freddie's little ghoulfriend.

IIRC, Freddie’s girlfriend in the “daybreak” episode was the “S'mores Girl.”  Frasier was impressed with Freddie's game.

Edited by Harry24
  • Love 4

One of my most favorite Frasier episodes  was just on. Merry Christmas Mrs. Moskowitz. I laugh my head off every time.   Frasier is courting a Jewish girl and trying to pretend  to be Jewish. Her family is visiting them, Niles  wanders in in his Jesus costume for the apartment Christmas play and they try to hide him he walks out and frasier yells "Jesus" which sends everyone to try to hide him....and me laughing so much. This whole episode makes me happy every time i see it.

• LOL 5
  • Love 10

I still love Niles explaining to Frasier that the guy who was supposed to play Jesus slipped and fell in the shower. "Man who can walk on water, but no..." :p. 

And then Martin and Frasier breaking down crying when they're fighting towards the end of the episode, and being frustrated that it's not resolved as easily as Faye's fight with her mom. "They were hugging by now!"

I also love the poor guy who comes by with the Christmas tree. 

"Where do you want the tree?"

"Oh...I don't know..."

"You know, a lot of people put them in their living room."

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

I love that episode!

Niles nonchalantly agreeing to go along with being Jewish is so on point - no questions just "okay!".

I really liked Faye.  She had good chemistry with Frasier and was smart and funny.  I think this is the one where Frasier is showing Faye's mom around the apartment and the mom says that Faye acted like she'd been in Frasier's bedroom before and Faye says "I'm not sure, it was dark and I was drunk"  LOL!  Perfect delivery too.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

Martin: I don't know how to be Jewish.
Niles: Well, just answer questions with a question.
Martin: Like what?
Niles: What, I have to explain everything?
Martin: Can't you give me an example?
Niles: What, I should give you an example?
Martin: Are you going to help me or not?
Niles: You're saying I'm not being helpful?
Martin: Oh, forget it!

Helen: So, Marty, both your sons are doctors. How'd you work that out?
Martin: I've no idea.  .............. Do I?

That's why I always tell people to rewatch Frasier holiday episodes around the holidays.  So much fun!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4
On 7/1/2021 at 6:04 PM, Irlandesa said:

I don't think I've ever read that. 

The sequel news has been out for a while.  What we don't have is details about how it will be brought back.  It sounds like he might be outside of Seattle.  He talks about bringin back old characters but it's hard to tell if they'd be regulars or just make appearances.

Grammar said in June that they could have it ready by early 2022 but they didn’t have a filming schedule, just a story that they were “polishing.”

he said he hoped to have as much of the original cast reprise their roles but that they’d have stories for all the characters, whether all the actors agree to return or not.

Edited by aghst
  • Useful 2