Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Niles was a manipulative jerk.   He was married at the time and did all he could to sabotage Daphne's relationships.  Plus all of his pining for Daphne showed a complete disrespect for his wife Maris.  He was a dirt bag of epic proportions.  

I like Niles except for when it comes to Daphne. He did do everything he could to sabotage her relationships and was creepy towards her in general. Video recording her while she's asleep, talking her out of marrying Donnie when she came to him for advice and then showing up wearing something that she mentioned from her dream. When Daphne's devastated over being dumped all he cared about was getting a chance to hold her. He even kept saying the guy's name even though she said it hurt too much. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I like Niles except for when it comes to Daphne. He did do everything he could to sabotage her relationships and was creepy towards her in general. Video recording her while she's asleep, talking her out of marrying Donnie when she came to him for advice and then showing up wearing something that she mentioned from her dream. When Daphne's devastated over being dumped all he cared about was getting a chance to hold her. He even kept saying the guy's name even though she said it hurt too much. 

That storyline would never happen today. I like DHP and I like Jane Leeves but I did not see any chemistry between them at all.  I didn't root for them as a couple until after her aborted wedding to Donnie.  I thought well OK you've come this far you may as well cross the finish line.  I guess the writers thought they needed a romance through the show and didn't want to tie down Frasier with one woman.  On paper I can see where Niles and Daphne might  have looked good but like I said I didn't see any sparks between them at all.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

That storyline would never happen today. I like DHP and I like Jane Leeves but I did not see any chemistry between them at all.  I didn't root for them as a couple until after her aborted wedding to Donnie.  I thought well OK you've come this far you may as well cross the finish line.  I guess the writers thought they needed a romance through the show and didn't want to tie down Frasier with one woman.  On paper I can see where Niles and Daphne might  have looked good but like I said I didn't see any sparks between them at all.  

I just never found Daphne attractive so I never understood Niles' obsession. She was kind of a bag of antlers unless she was pregative.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That's so interesting.  Like I said in the "Friends" thread, I like Ross except when it comes to his treatment of Rachel!

For me, the jump the shark moment, if not Niles and Daphne getting together, because Daphne kind of became a horrible person (kind of like Monica on "Friends"), would then be the Daphne getting fat storyline.  Just so dumb.

I always say that I loved Season 11 though.  Somehow the show got good again.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I didn't mind the "weight gain" story for Daphne because I liked how they connected it to her insecurities surrounding the way Niles idolized her. I appreciated that the show acknowledged that issue and had Niles and Daphne work through it as they did. My biggest issue with that storyline is the jokes Frasier and Martin made surrounding it-on the one hand, it's in keeping with their characters, considering all the jokes that used to be made about Maris' weight, and Martin not being very tactful would make sense in general. But on the other hand, I would've liked to see a little more genuine focus from Frasier especially towards her regarding that issue. He did express some concern, but it would've been interesting to see him try and talk to her about the issue more directly, too. 

As for Niles and Daphne  as a couple, I agree that there's definitely elements of their history that wouldn't play nearly as well today (if they played well even back then). But I can't help it, I still love them anyway :). They're one of my oldest ships-I still remember the night "Something Borrowed, Someone Blue" originally aired, and eagerly sitting down to watch that. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Yeah, it would be nice if they were able to get some of the original writers back, or at least one of the original creators or something. There's a distinct voice and attitude about that show that I do think it's going to be tough for others to capture. 

But if they are able to get the rest of the cast back, even if they only pop in from time to time, I'll still give it a look. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Nope...Ken Levine and David Isaac's should have been asked back. James Burrows should have been called and if there has to be a HIMYM writer, make it Pamela Fryman who wrote and directed for the show before "Mother"...

No John Mahoney...none of the original writers..nope...nope...nope...

• Love 4

I agree with the idea that Freddie and Frasier will now live together to mirror the Frasier and Martin storyline. There's some nice synergy with that, in a way. We know very little about Freddie as a person outside the handful of his episodes but he was a kid then, so he'll be different as an adult. I'd really dig it since we could get some more Lilith, and that is always a good thing! 

However. with none of the original behind the scenes team involved as I had really wanted, this doesn't lend me to think it will be as good. I've also heard that Kelsey Grammer is on the only definite from the original cast. The ensemble and the writing is what has made Frasier stand out and has remained watchable 20+ years later. If the show had centered primarily on Frasier, just no! If they aren't going to have both sides of the winning equation, I'm really hesitant. We already won't have John and that will just make me sad. 

But it's Frasier, I'll give it a shot! Please don't do anything that will reduce my enjoyment of the original! 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

But it's Frasier, I'll give it a shot! Please don't do anything that will reduce my enjoyment of the original! 

The rebooted Roseanne did that to me for a while. I've gotten over it though. But for a couple of years I was too disgusted to even watch the original show. I like it now except for the post lottery ones.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

The rebooted Roseanne did that to me for a while. I've gotten over it though. But for a couple of years I was too disgusted to even watch the original show. I like it now except for the post lottery ones.

I can imagine!

• Love 1

If writers/showrunners/cast from the original were involved, I would absolutely trust them to do a brilliant, funny and heartbreaking job of showing us Frasier and the gang dealing with Martin’s loss.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

When the reboot happened I refused to watch it because of Roseanne. And like  you I didn't even want to watch the original again either.  But then Roseanne was cast aside and they made the Connors.  And now I feel comfortable watching the original again. Minus the lottery year.

17 hours ago, Harry24 said:

If writers/showrunners/cast from the original were involved, I would absolutely trust them to do a brilliant, funny and heartbreaking job of showing us Frasier and the gang dealing with Martin’s loss.

I think people forget one big reason shows which are very good are very good  because of the writing.   You can bring back the cast of any show for a reboot but unless it has the same writers, or at least writers who understood the original show it is not going to be as good.

• Love 3
On 1/7/2021 at 4:02 AM, Gramto6 said:

OMG so glad Frasier is back on Hallmark! Flour Child is playing now just about choked on my drink when Eddie tore apart the bag of flour  and Daphne yelled "The dingo has got your baby!! OMG I needed that laugh so much!!

"Niles, what has happened to your child?" It's all in Frasier's delivery.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • LOL 4
45 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I live in the central time zone, so it's on from 1 am to 4 am here. The only night they don't have reruns on is early Sunday morning. 

Oh, the middle of the night. Oh well, I'll just keep watching it on COZI TV. Thanks!

• Love 2

Yeah, I wish these shows would air earlier, too. Though they do make for a relaxing late-night sort of thing.

Glad you've got another channel to watch them on, at least :)! I wish we got the Cozi channel. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, I wish these shows would air earlier, too. Though they do make for a relaxing late-night sort of thing.

Glad you've got another channel to watch them on, at least :)! I wish we got the Cozi channel. 

They don't have a lot of great content but they do have The Office all day on Sunday and we're kind of back in to watching the old Roseanne show after Frasier.

• Love 1
On 2/16/2021 at 3:54 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

His receptionist in that episode is so sweet.

She was also in an episode of Cheers.  She played the daughter of John Hill, the snooty owner of the restaurant above the bar.   Sam dated her to get back at him.  I really enjoy seeing actors who played small roles Cheers showing up on Frasier. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I appreciate his supportive attitude towards this revival 🙂. Getting that kind of encouragement from anyone involved with the original series would definitely mean a lot. Even if he, or any of the other original writers don't wind up actively writing for the show, maybe the new people can reach out to them for occasional consulting relating to storylines and characters or something. That'd be nice. 

• Love 2
On 2/25/2021 at 2:36 PM, Harry24 said:

I think I'd lose my mind if the new show somehow worked in Martin's "She Such A Groovy Lady" as a tribute of sorts to John Mahoney/Martin.

• Love 7

It's always funny how Frasier breaks up with women over stupid things, but I just saw the one where Martin breaks up with Bonnie because her poodle humped Eddie and Bonnie thought it was funny, so I guess it's not just Frasier who does that. 😅

• Love 5
On 3/2/2021 at 12:27 PM, jird said:

It's always funny how Frasier breaks up with women over stupid things, but I just saw the one where Martin breaks up with Bonnie because her poodle humped Eddie and Bonnie thought it was funny, so I guess it's not just Frasier who does that. 😅

I don't know if this is a "stupid reason", but Niles broke up with Kit the waitress because she just was young and fun and crazy and good times.  Frasier and Niles were so damn annoyingly neurotic.  I can understand Niles not wanting to waste time with anyone who wasn't Daphne, and he treated Kit with respect by not wanting to lead her on.  Kit pretended she was only interested in casual fun and then when Niles broke up with her she flew into a rage!  😄

I hate when Frasier has a casual fling with the artist that he has nothing in common with and he agonizes over whether it's morally okay or not.  Dude, lighten up!  As long as she's on the same page just have fun and shut up!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

With KIt there was also the fact that they just didn't really have much in common, and the stuff she was into just didn't fit him or his lifestyle and he felt too old to keep up with her. 

27 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Kit pretended she was only interested in casual fun and then when Niles broke up with her she flew into a rage!  😄

That scene is so funny :D. I love everyone just staring at him after Kit freaks out and runs off, and Frasier just sitting there all, "...okay...". 

• Love 1

Yeah, the early morning shows are into Season 4 now. The evening shows are back to Season 1. This may sound weird, but I don't like watching the first 2 seasons because I hate Frasier's poofy hair cut

I'm so glad Cozi finally ran Season 11. It was nice to see the last 2 episodes.. 

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

With KIt there was also the fact that they just didn't really have much in common, and the stuff she was into just didn't fit him or his lifestyle and he felt too old to keep up with her. 

That's what I meant by the words young and crazy.  (According to him.)

• Love 3

How is it that every person Frasier ever encounters recognizes him from the radio, sometimes even without hearing his name or voice? 😄 ("Dr. Crane? From the radio?")

I mean, I was alive in the 90s, and couldn't have identified any of the people from the radio shows I liked!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Ha, that's not too weird for me, because my dad worked as a radio DJ, and he was pretty well-known throughout town. Course, he also did a lot of promotional events for the stations he worked at and would meet with business owners and stuff like that, so that helped get his name and image out there. But yeah, I remember our family being out and having listeners come up and talk about how they loved hearing him on the radio and whatnot. 

I could see people who'd never heard Frasier's voice being familiar with him from others who listened to the show, or promotional ads, but even then, yeah, it would be a little odd for every one of those people to say that upon meeting him :p. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Ha, that's not too weird for me, because my dad worked as a radio DJ, and he was pretty well-known throughout town. Course, he also did a lot of promotional events for the stations he worked at and would meet with business owners and stuff like that, so that helped get his name and image out there. But yeah, I remember our family being out and having listeners come up and talk about how they loved hearing him on the radio and whatnot. 

I could see people who'd never heard Frasier's voice being familiar with him from others who listened to the show, or promotional ads, but even then, yeah, it would be a little odd for every one of those people to say that upon meeting him :p. 

Weren't there billboards around town with his picture? I remember some kids defaced one of them and Daphne (I think) told him to take care of his teeth because missing teeth was not a good look for him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Yes! I also love the episode where Eddie runs off after Frasier tries to take him to get him fixed, and they're all looking for him. Daphne suddenly gets a vision of him staring at Frasier, and it cuts to a shot of Eddie sitting on a bus stop bench, staring at an ad with Frasier's face on it :p. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, jird said:

How is it that every person Frasier ever encounters recognizes him from the radio, sometimes even without hearing his name or voice? 😄 ("Dr. Crane? From the radio?")

I mean, I was alive in the 90s, and couldn't have identified any of the people from the radio shows I liked!

The show regularly showed advertising of his show with his picture on the sides of buses. There may have been other advertising, but the buses stick in my mind.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, jird said:

I seem to remember that Frasier's radio show had print ads on the sides of the public buses (and perhaps other places), so people could remember his face from that. I guess his show was very popular in Seattle.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, barshi50 said:

I seem to remember that Frasier's radio show had print ads on the sides of the public buses (and perhaps other places), so people could remember his face from that. I guess his show was very popular in Seattle.

I live in Seattle and really appreciated how good they were about getting the streets and landmarks right.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I live in Seattle and really appreciated how good they were about getting the streets and landmarks right.

Although I heard that there's no way a building would have that exact view - is that right?  Not that I mind really.

And as a cool parallel I have a similar view but in my own city.  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Although I heard that there's no way a building would have that exact view - is that right?  Not that I mind really.

And as a cool parallel I have a similar view but in my own city.  

Maybe not. I don't know but I could never live that high up. It would give me vertigo.

• LOL 3

I've also read there is no building that would have that view of Seattle.

I am not a dog person, but I so enjoy Eddie(s). His trainer deserves every penny he got. If they do a reboot, they need a whole new storyline. There's no replacing Mahoney and his pooch.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

So is there really a zoo on Mercer Island? From the episode "The Zoo Story".

• Love 1

Was over at the "Frasier" subreddit earlier and somebody there shared an awesome video they'd seen elsewhere of clips of the show set to Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody". I don't know who all here might've seen this, but I figured I'd share it for those of you who haven't-it's pretty clever and well done:

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

I recently watched Agents in America III, the one where Bebe goes out on the ledge so Frasier can talk her down while they're renegotiating his contract, and I am wondering if they *actually* slept together, or if Bebe just pretended they did because Frasier was too drunk to remember. He wakes up alone on the couch not knowing what happened the night before.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3