Type keyword(s) to search

Instinct - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 7/22/2019 at 3:55 AM, shapeshifter said:

FWIW, here's the referenced poison apple: ietravel.com/blog/beware-poison-apple-galapagos

Thanks. I was going to ask my daughter if she knew where to find these apples since Dylan seemed so confident that, as a pastry chef, the culprit would know. I SERIOUSLY doubt this apple was anywhere in the curriculum at the Culinary Institute of America, where my daughter graduated and is currently a pastry chef.  

On 7/23/2019 at 1:11 PM, 12catcrazy said:

Oh I LIKE Lizzie and Julian (and I never ship TV characters).  I keep wondering exactly why Hot Nebraska Cop is REALLY there, and they may fake us out by hooking up him and Lizzie but I keep thinking there has got to be another reason.  Maybe he is going to turn out to be not such a good guy after all? 

I think there has to be another reason too. 

19 hours ago, possibilities said:

I assumed Nebraska hunk was the killer, posing as a cop, but it seemed like he's not, based on whoever was watching them on the roof.

I don't care about Jules-- he's boring to me, the convenient hacker to illegally obtain evidence and make Dylan look smarter than he is by cracking cases that can't be solved by legal means.

But I can't get over the idea that Nebraska isn't what he seems. Otherwise, he's too perfect. I like him, but I feel like they have to have a twist coming.

Then again, maybe this show isn't that subtle. Maybe they are just a straightforward show where the simplest answer is all there is, no surprises, and a hunky stranger is just a hunky stranger.

When the Nebraska cop was introduced I thought he was shady. Then, this episode, I thought, when he said he was meeting the witness, that the witness did it and the cop was going to die. I was glad he was giving lots of details to Dylan so Dylan could help solve his murder. THEN Dylan said he’d go so I thought Nebraska cop was shady again and Dylan would get hurt. THEN we saw that guy on the roof so I thought, ok- Nebraska cop is on the up-and-up. Lol. Lots of thoughts about this character.

I think it’ll be 1 of 2 things. 1. The Nebraska cop is going to die but ultimately solve the case or 2. The Nabraska cop is in cahoots with whoever was on the roof. 

• Love 4
On 7/22/2019 at 3:55 AM, shapeshifter said:

FWIW, here's the referenced poison apple: ietravel.com/blog/beware-poison-apple-galapagos

From Wikipedia: 

Manchineel is one of the most dangerous trees in the world. Manchineel is also known as the beach apple.

Manchineel is native to the Caribbean, the U.S. state of Florida, The Bahamas, Mexico, Central America, and northern South America. The manchineel tree is listed as an endangered species in Florida.

The manchineel tree can be found on coastal beaches and in brackish swamps where it grows among mangroves. It provides excellent natural windbreaks and its roots stabilize the sand, thus helping to prevent beach erosion.

All parts of the tree contain strong toxins. Standing beneath the tree during rain will cause blistering of the skin from mere contact with this liquid.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/24/2019 at 5:46 PM, AnimeMania said:

From Wikipedia: 

Manchineel is one of the most dangerous trees in the world. Manchineel is also known as the beach apple.

Manchineel is native to the Caribbean, the U.S. state of Florida, The Bahamas, Mexico, Central America, and northern South America. The manchineel tree is listed as an endangered species in Florida.

The manchineel tree can be found on coastal beaches and in brackish swamps where it grows among mangroves. It provides excellent natural windbreaks and its roots stabilize the sand, thus helping to prevent beach erosion.

All parts of the tree contain strong toxins. Standing beneath the tree during rain will cause blistering of the skin from mere contact with this liquid.

And now I'm wondering if the original Garden of Eden was in . . . 
I don't know . . .
f'in' Florida?

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I kind of enjoyed the multiple murderers angle even though it makes it impossible to guess who the murderer is. Who done it? Everybody we interviewed! It would have been really hard to have guessed wrong on the murderer this week. Damnit, I put 500 large on the bee lady!

• LOL 2

I did not need to see that body and hear all the details of his death.

I was so afraid Ryan was going to die when he went into his apartment - glad he didn't.  What made Dylan think something was wrong and go in after him?

Glad the adoption is going ahead.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, Trey said:

I was so afraid Ryan was going to die when he went into his apartment - glad he didn't.  What made Dylan think something was wrong and go in after him?

Ryan left his phone in the car. Dylan went after him to return it.

• Love 2

I just started watching this last week (heard Kathryn Erbe's voice in the intro and stayed; got Sayid as a bonus!).  The bee plot would have been perfect for an Elementary episode!

The guy you call Nebraska left his phone in the car so Dapper Dylan could follow him and see the blood and surmise he's the next victim of whoever this story is about.  He's probably the killer or an associate setting Our Heroes down the wrong path.

• Love 2

That gruesome corpse was reminiscent of what they used to do on Bones.

I agree that the murder would have fit right in on Elementary, as well. Bees!!

Julian could have called to tell Lizzy he was back and wanted to see her. His claim that it was romantic not to just struck me as absurd.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

Julian could have called to tell Lizzy he was back and wanted to see her. His claim that it was romantic not to just struck me as absurd.

I thought the same thing.  I also didn't believe him.

I like the show, but I wonder if they are trying to throw to much out there at once.  Possible serial killer.  Whatever Julian's mission is.  Adopting a baby.  So on and so forth.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

like the show, but I wonder if they are trying to throw to much out there at once.  Possible serial killer.  Whatever Julian's mission is.  Adopting a baby.  So on and so forth

Like throwing another spaghetti strand on the ceiling every minute/episode to see if it sticks.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

I thought the same thing.  I also didn't believe him.

I like the show, but I wonder if they are trying to throw to much out there at once.  Possible serial killer.  Whatever Julian's mission is.  Adopting a baby.  So on and so forth.

Julian. if he is not his own boss, has to write a report about what happened on his assignment. Lizzy should know how important paperwork is, because that is all she every talks about. 

All those story lines when lumped together seem like a lot, but since they are all being handled by different characters, with no characters overlapping, the problems might be solved or ignored at their leisure.

• Love 1

I'm kind of sad that Lizzie and Julian broke up.  Still think something is going to be up with Nebraska cop and not in a good way.  Not looking forward to adorable baby and all that ensues in the future.  

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, possibilities said:

He can still call her, even if he's doing paperwork. He obviously called Dylan. He could say: I'm back-- gotta finish my paperwork but planning to stop by later if you're available.

Yeah, given all the shmoopy vibes Julian was sending Lizzie's way, I'm guessing he avoided her for her own safety or for some other heroic martyr's noble duty.

so. I'm confused. Will Dylan still be able to ride his bike since that turned out (it seemed to me) not to be a deal breaker for the pregnant person?

That death was gruesome. I can understand why the paralegal would do it because of her sister but the other two had to be real psychopaths to torture a man like that.

4 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

It's too much and there is no time to do it well. They should have left it at the Crime of the Week, the serial killer in the season's arc, and trying to adopt to be the one emotional issue.

I really don't care about Sharon Leal's character's relationship issues (I can't even remember the character's name, I know so little about her).  I'm sorry that Lizzie broke up with Julian but they devoted so little time to showing anything about that relationship or how she's doing in her first relationship after her fiancee's death much less anything at all about Julian (yeah, not buying that "it's more romantic if I surprise you" line) that I feel a fleeting sadness that they broke up but it wasn't a big enough story to actually ship them.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

so. I'm confused. Will Dylan still be able to ride his bike since that turned out (it seemed to me) not to be a deal breaker for the pregnant person?

I thought the bike was a deal breaker so Dylan pretty much had to sell it.  Then Samantha was so happy when she found out he was selling the bike since she really did want them to be the baby's parents.

• Useful 1

I enjoy this show.  I can't take non-stop full drama along with non-stop tension in the news.  I also am enjoying the reruns of Death in Paradise on my local PBS.  Anyway, back to this show-I like the portrayal of positive and supportive relationships-both personal and professional.  I also like the crime of the week type of shows combined with a long-term story line.  I don't always catch every episode of every show that I watch so when shows are totally serialized I start getting lost and confused (well, some people would tell you I'm always lost and confused...).

Enjoy Alan Cummings and most of the other actors/characters.

• Love 6

Assorted thoughts:

The last scene with Dylan and Nebraska Cop was so contrived.  Nebraska was barely to the door when Dylan noticed the phone; honk the horn and he'll turn around. The idea of Dylan parking the car, following him through the main door and then whatever length of hallway that led to his apartment door without once calling out to him (or NB noticing) is funny in a way I'm sure they didn't intend.

I don't think NB is in cahoots with the killer but I feel like we're going to find out later that one of his loved ones was one of the killer's first victims. Maybe before he really developed an MO, so technically authorities don't consider it connected. Sadly, I do think NB is meant to be Lizzie's new love interest, the sparring match all but confirmed it. The only thing missing was the deep, yet awkward gaze into each other's eyes after one of them pins the other.

I'm meh on the breakup. I wasn't fond of her needling him about his work the past couple of episodes because she's always known that he's involved in some clandestine stuff and it felt out of character for her to be like "What if you're a bad guy?" I appreciated Dylan's dose of reality re: the circumstances of Julian's death in the future and that Lizzie didn't issue an ultimatum.

• Love 1

Season 2, Episode 6 "One-of-a-Kind"

I liked the idea of several artists working under the same name. I am not sure why all 3 didn't seem to have the same amount of financial wealth. 3rd guy just seemed to be an art installer, if he had owned an art installation company, that would have worked better to explain how he might be able to sneak in/piggyback a few guerrilla art installations in very secure museums/institutions while performing real art installations.

2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Season 2, Episode 6 "One-of-a-Kind"

I liked the idea of several artists working under the same name. I am not sure why all 3 didn't seem to have the same amount of financial wealth. 3rd guy just seemed to be an art installer, if he had owned an art installation company, that would have worked better to explain how he might be able to sneak in/piggyback a few guerrilla art installations in very secure museums/institutions while performing real art installations.

Good point. Banksy hasn't gone for those venues. *Sigh* The writers of this show always leave in stuff that doesn't fit quite right. 

And the film editors really should have cut Alan Cumming's gleeful expression upon hearing "we have another body." Maybe use it for an outtake, but, just, no, not when he's supposed to become a dad and be a good guy crime fighter. That impish smile made him look like one of the sociopaths his character is always mentioning.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

I suspect that Paul had plenty of money stashed away but took this job specifically to commit the crimes. Her not knowing his name could be because he was either a temp or new instead of her showing disdain for the longtime help.

I admit I like the slow build up of the Sleeping Beauty case. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I get that it is for tv, but aren't there plenty of regular unsolved murders out there? Why does every one on this show (and others) have to be some elaborately staged affair?

I think I mainly watch this show for Alan's snazzy dressing.

• LOL 1
2 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I get that it is for tv, but aren't there plenty of regular unsolved murders out there? Why does every one on this show (and others) have to be some elaborately staged affair?

You really wouldn't need the help of a criminal psychologist (Alan Cumming's character) when somebody kills someone when robbing a liquor store.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

My theory from last night:

The cop took the guy's watch that was recording. He spliced together the interview using himself (killer) and what was recorded during interrogation. He timed it to broadcast while he was on stakeout. All unknowingly as his split personality.

BOOM!

• Love 3

OR, the blogger is the killer and spliced together an interview with himself.

Thor.  Did we already know Nebraska's first name was Thor?

Edited by Trey
2 minutes ago, Trey said:

OR, the blogger is the killer and spliced together an interview with himself.

Thor.  Did we already know Arkansas's first name was Thor?

Crikey, who is Arkansas?

Edited by rhys
Added comma
  • LOL 1

I think it'll be revealed that Nebraska is the killer and it's really going to affect Dylan because they've become close. He'll be upset as to why he didn't figure it out sooner and he'll question his whole reason for being on the team. He's already having writer's block, the adoption thing will fall through. It will all hit a crisis moment.

I'm off to write some Instinct fan fiction...just kidding.😊

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Nebraska, and his first name is not Thor, the guy just calls him that because he is blond and muscular.

This reminds me I wanted to point out way back, episode 2 or thereabouts, Fucci referred to Nebraska Det. Ryan Stock as Corn on the Cop, and Detective Man Meat. Funny, I thought.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, Beezella said:

This reminds me I wanted to point out way back, episode 2 or thereabouts, Fucci referred to Nebraska Det. Ryan Stock as Corn on the Cop, and Detective Man Meat. Funny, I thought.

Hmmm…

Isn't "Detective Man Meat" bordering on sexual harassment?

—just another example of thoughtlessness/carelessness on the part of the Instinct writing team

—regardless of whether or not it's funny.

Edited by shapeshifter

I suspected right away that Paul would be the killer because Bryce Pinkham is a well-known Broadway actor -- although it is true that Kathryn Erbe was a red herring the prior week. 

The Lizzy/Jules break up/don't break up is already wearing on me. 

Looking forward to seeing Andy/Dylan with a baby. 

• Love 1

Looking back ... why did they call this show Instinct, when it is based on Dylan's knowledge?  Also why do they spell INSTINCT with the second N backwards?  Sounds as if they are imagining a semiliterate person guessing that what Dylan says is based on instinct, not knowledge.

• Love 1