Type keyword(s) to search

Instinct - General Discussion

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, rhys said:

Andy in a suit? Rawr.

Not to mention Dylan in a kilt.

I enjoyed the first episode but didn't stay up to watch the second one.  Was there any advancement in the Sleeping Beauty case?

I saw a mention online that there will be two episodes again next Sunday.  I believe that's the last two of the season.  Maybe I'll try to stay up for the finale.

ETA: Three more episodes, not two.

Edited by Trey
2 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

YES!!!

D'oh! I knew I should have stayed up.  Near the end of the first episode, Dylan told Ryan that he thinks the killer is someone who knows Ryan. Do we find out who it is?

1 hour ago, Trey said:

D'oh! I knew I should have stayed up.  Near the end of the first episode, Dylan told Ryan that he thinks the killer is someone who knows Ryan. Do we find out who it is?

YES!!!

It is funny, I guessed who the murderer was for the ice skating episode the moment I saw him, then guessed correctly the reason. I was happy about the two male figure skaters because of stereotypes. I enjoyed the two females police officers harassing the Incel because they could and because he deserved it.

Edited by AnimeMania
add some comments
  • Love 1

LOL You guys/gals are so funny!

I wonder if I can find a recap of the episode somewhere so I can find out who it is.

eta: I cannot find a recap for Go Figure.  Found one for After Hours but not the other.

Will someone please take pity on me and tell me what happened wrt Sleeping Beauty case?

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Trey said:

Not to mention Dylan in a kilt.

Oh yes! While I think A.C. is sorta odd looking (not handsome), he did rock that kilt ensemble. I wasn't sure about the bow tie deal but he should certainly know the proper sartorial choices. I wonder if the tartan was the Cummin's clan.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Trey said:

I enjoyed the first episode but didn't stay up to watch the second one.  Was there any advancement in the Sleeping Beauty case?

Lots!

Usually the episodes are on cbs.com by the next day.

But if you just want the bare facts: Dylan and Hot Nebraskan went back to HN's hometown where the first killing happened. They were going to go over the investigation records, to see if anything had been overlooked. While they were there, they went to visit the family of the victim, to let them know they were still working on the case. A bunch of other stuff happened, and then some reminiscing. Both Dylan and HN realized who the killer was because (1) he was the only person in the town whose life was not hurt by the death, and (2) the cowboy bedding used in the cat-blood-on-HN's-bed was also in a photo of HN and the killer when they were childhood friends.

The killer also traveled a lot, and lied about where he was going. He's currently on the lam, headed for NY.

Dun dun dun!!

Was that a lucky horseshoe on the kilt, hanging over Dylan's junk?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

As soon as I saw Michael Rady's name in the credits, I knew that he had to have a fairly big role.

This is the first time I've seen Naveen Andrews in a role. Did he play more assertive characters before? Because I am so over Pining Julian.

I couldn't figure out where I had seen Julian's ex before.  It's Divya from Royal Pains.

• Love 4

Thank you all.

I'm pretty sure someone upthread (not me) guessed that it would be someone connected to the first killing. So, kudos to that person.

Now they just have to catch him.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, auntiemel said:

In episode seven, it was cool to see Bojana Novakovic get to use her own accent. 🙂

And be emphatic about how authentic it is.

Alan Cummings also got to use his. They must have had a lot of fun shooting that episode.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Alan Cummin also got to use his. They must have had a lot of fun shooting that episode.

I've heard him on Masterpiece & it's super thick to my ears--more so than what I heard last night. I think he tamped down his accent a bit last night but I could totally be off my game.

• Love 2
On August 12, 2019 at 9:14 AM, Driad said:

Andy -- if you don't want to look like a Ukranian arms dealer, either shave or grow a beard.

Ha! I missed that and other parts of both episodes. I dozed off during the mid-point commercials both times.

On August 12, 2019 at 10:40 AM, Trey said:

eta: I cannot find a recap for Go Figure.  Found one for After Hours but not the other.

Will someone please take pity on me and tell me what happened wrt Sleeping Beauty case

I was looking for a recap of the second episode too, so thanks, y'all, especially this part I slept through (tvinsider.com/gallery/instinct-season-2-sleeping-beauty-killer-cormac-rego-michael-rady/):

not only meet with Ryan's old partner and mother, … [Dylan and Ryan] identify the killer: Cormac Rego .…,  the first victim's son.

But why? What motive? 

On August 12, 2019 at 8:32 PM, rhys said:

I've heard him on Masterpiece & it's super thick to my ears--more so than what I heard last night. I think he tamped down his accent a bit last night but I could totally be off my game.

AC's accent seemed barely discernible as Scottish to me last night during that one bit — nothing like I've heard in interviews. I could barely tell BN was using an accent either. But I was off my game, LOL.

Edited by shapeshifter
Scottish accent, not Scotch
  • Love 1
On 8/12/2019 at 8:46 PM, shapeshifter said:

But why? What motive? 

No spoiler, just speculation:

Dad (Joe?) was against moving the plant to Mexico, but son facilitated some back alley deal to remove Dad as decision maker, and moved the business. Dad was going to expose the son & son killed him knowing that there would be no shortage of suspects because so many Garfield residents would have a motive. The wrench for me is that the murders in NYC should have had everyone looking in a different direction; it should be fairly easy to determine which pissed off townsperson hied off to New York. As far as I know that number is none sans Ryan. 

It was nice to see Dr. Rogers from Law & Order playing Det Teen Beat's (lol Fucci) mother. I loved when she & Lennie Briscoe would flirt at the ME's office. 

• Love 4

That theory makes sense except that if you're just trying to kill your father and get away with it, why are you killing all these other people, and then staging the corpses in a way that leaves it obvious the same person did all the killings? It's like he wants to be caught. So his motive is not just some utilitarian greed.

No one would have suspected the NY killings were related to the NE one, if he hadn't been going out of his way to make it obvious they were.

• Love 3

I am certainly not surprised either. It was always just an okay show, nothing special.  But I always did like the main characters - maybe they'll move on to something better.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Why can’t we have a light mystery show??? Instinct, Take Two, Whiskey Cavalier? Monk, Psych, Burn Notice all did well, I know those were cable shows, but they all seem to be gone..l

IMO, Monk, Psych, and Burn Notice were all well-written, whereas Instinct, Take Two, and Whiskey Cavalier were in serious need of skilled editors, as is that other current show, Blood and Treasure. Are there no out-of-work English majors in Hollywood anymore?

• Love 5

From Wikipedia:

The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported an approval rating of 56% based on 25 reviews, with an average rating of 5.36/10. The website's consensus reads, "Instinct is ultimately an underwhelming police procedural, despite having Alan Cumming in its arsenal." Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned the series a score of 53 out of 100 based on 12 reviews, indicating "mixed or average reviews".

• Love 1

It's a summer show. Do ratings matter that much? I know the summer reality shows get sky high ratings but let's have something for the rest of us too.

I'll miss it. It wasn't high culture but it's fun, I liked all the characters and a gay lead already in a good marriage is a nice change from the will they/won't they? that plagues too many of these mystery and adventure shows (Take Two and Whiskey Cavalier, I'm looking at you).

• Love 15

Wow, Corn-fed turned out to be a Corn-flake, Cormac punched him and he went down like a sack of Nebraska potatoes and never got back up. Good thing Cormac had loss so much blood or Manmeat might be dead right now. 

I am not sure why Cormac killed Grace, the first victim in New York, If you have some idea, please tell me. 

The show started about 10 min. late where I am and I had to go to the CBS website to watch the missing stuff the DVR cut off, like the gender reveal and the major stuff that is going on with Julian. If you also missed the ending, really try to watch it, major plot points.

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Could someone summarize the last 10?  I can try to watch On Demand but that means tons of commercials. 

59 minutes ago, Trey said:

A thunderstorm knocked out my satellite reception so I missed the last half of the first episode and all of the second episode.

I watched it on the CBS streaming website, went right to the part I wanted, after a few commercials the show started and I couldn't be happier.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/instinct/

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Love 3

Ah, I ended up watching On Demand and suffered through the ads while I ate breakfast. 

For those who would like not to bother with the site or On Demand, here's a recap. 

After the reveal that the baby was a boy, Dylan met up with Julian.  Julian realized that someone from the CIA had approached Dylan and realized it was his father.   Julian said Mya believes the CIA might be compromised.   Dylan said that he trusted Julian and told him about the baby.  They go upstairs to say hello to Mya who is dead on the floor.  Dylan calls his British contacts to report an asset of theirs is dead only to find out Mya was just supposed to be there on a fact finding mission and not to the extent she was telling Julian.

Julian mentioned he got a text from her that said MB.  He thought those were just her initials letting him know she was there but maybe it was a bigger message.   Dylan wondered if it might mean mini-bar.  They found a tablet in the mini-bar, decoded it and saw a video of Pasternack who is supposed to be dead.

I just started watching this season so I don't know who he is other than a traitor Dylan apparently shot. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Dylan wondered if it might mean mini-bar.  They found a tablet in the mini-bar, decoded it and saw a video of Pasternack who is supposed to be dead.

I just started watching this season so I don't know who he is other than a traitor Dylan apparently shot. 

I don't think any of us know any more than this; I also think this was the beginnings of the set-up for next season's Big Bad, which now will not happen. I just hope they had the good sense not to make the last episode of this season (now the last episode ever) a cliff-hanger.  Anyway, not really planning to pay much attention to the Pasternak plot, unless it seems evident it'll be completely dealt with in next Sunday's episodes.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I am not sure why Cormac killed Grace, the first victim in New York, If you have some idea, please tell me.

She saw him in New York and connected him to his father's murder. He killed the bartender because he saw Cormac and Grace together.

So the show has been cancelled?  Poop!  I actually liked it.  Nothing too heavy handed, an attractive cast who you could root for....  There is now so little on tv that I feel like watching that this news makes me sad.  Oh well.  I do have 16 back episodes of Poldark  to start watching... 

• Love 4

Have I mentioned how much I loathe serial killer plots? So I liked the second episode a little better. 

2 HOURS AGO, IRLANDESA SAID:

Julian mentioned he got a text from her that said MB. He thought those were just her initials letting him know she was there but maybe it was a bigger message. Dylan wondered if it might mean mini-bar.  They found a tablet in the mini-bar, decoded it and saw a video of Pasternack who is supposed to be dead.

Sheesh, even the spy clues are improbable. 

I've watched every episode but the only Pasternak I recall is a guy I knew at UIUC in 1970, but since I do doze off during most TV, I looked here --> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4124758/fullcredits

but no Pasternak, even though it includes 2 Pedestrians and 2 Patrons, so I looked at the guest star list here --> https://www.thetvdb.com/series/instinct-2018/episodes/7263576 and I think it might be this guy --> https://www.palmbeachdramaworks.org/bio/don-noble-586

image.jpeg

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:
7 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

She saw him in New York and connected him to his father's murder. He killed the bartender because he saw Cormac and Grace together.

I kind of got that, but I don't understand how Grace figured it out when nobody else could figure it out. How did Cormac get his special blanket to wrap her in, either he waited to kill her or he had Amazon Prime.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I kind of got that, but I don't understand how Grace figured it out when nobody else could figure it out. How did Cormac get his special blanket to wrap her in, either he waited to kill her or he had Amazon Prime.

This is reason number 2 why I detest serial killer plots: The perp invariably does things requiring superpowers even though the show does not have a supernatural component.

(Reason number 1 why I hate serial killer plots is that they are typically just an excuse for excessive gratutious violence to garner ratings by appealing to the prurient interests of the audience —or, basically, the can't-look-away-from-the-train-wreck effect.)

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

I started watching this show again after my Tivo picked it up, although I had stopped watching last year after the Lizzie/Julian story. Has there ever been a couple with *less* chemistry, other than David and Darlene on Roseanne? I'm not surprised to see it cancelled again. 

• Love 2

Very sorry to see this series end.

I stumbled on it and had a bit of a hard time following some of the convolutions......

But it became 'must see tv' for me.

Of course I am a sucker for anything Alan Cummings so there is that, and the writing and plotlines could have been strengthened, but all the heavily promoted summer series failed on every level for me while Instinct remained enjoyable - for the most part.

Another series that I liked that apparently few others did.

Loved it while it lasted.

RIP

• Love 3

What was the weird shit with Nebraska? His story sounded lame.

I guess Lizzie didn't need luggage for her cross country trip. But a romance seems to be brewing.

Thanks CBS for the future storyline that we won't see played out. I feel like I've invested my time well.

Sigh.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Was Andy even in this episode?

No ☹️  Dylan talked about him in the last scene but that's all.

Written and directed by Michael Rauch, the show-runner, but it was a weird episode. Not even a satisfying season finale much less a series finale. No Andy, Nebraska is still around and he and the pathologist are both kind of hitting on Lizzie. Even Julian is still holding a torch for her.

1 minute ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Thanks CBS for the future storyline that we won't see played out. I feel like I've invested my time well.

There is that to be thankful for.

And that Gary is still around.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I guess Lizzie didn't need luggage for her cross country trip.

Heh. Seriously. But having her ride off on a cross country motorcycle trip with no baggage seems to fit the overall writing of this show. 

Having had countless MRIs myself, I was especially irked by that scene. It would have worked as a hallucination, but clearly it wasn't -- unless Julian was always a hallucination too -- and I wish he was. (Sorry fans)

3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Not even a satisfying season finale much less a series finale

Not just not a "satisfying" season finale, but it doesn't seem like it was even supposed to be one. Argh.
At least y'all won't have to see me complaining about the writing anymore.

I guess having Nebraska shirtless was their idea of a series finale -- kind of like they confused a series finale with a bachelorette party.

About the perp of the week:
I do appreciate terminally ill suffering people being able to choose to die with dignity, but a guillotine just doesn't cut it (sorry for the pun) and is kind of an insult to that wish, and the pseudoscience of capturing the moment before death to fight Alzheimer's is also an insult to those doing serious research on that and other diseases.

Alan Cumming already has 4 other projects listed on IMDb.

• Love 5