Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Baby

• Start Topic

Looked like Ray was in deep shit at the end of last episode but he hurls himself outside a second floor window and gets away?

They must have liked the cool visual of a body hurling through a window and landing with a big thud so much that they didn’t bother to show how Ray hurled himself through.

Ray delivers the recording to Sam and then staggers home.  Mickey is wait8ng for him talking about his difficult life, 20 years in prison and then going back at his advanced age.

Ray apologizes to him so now it’s the Donovans vs. the crooked cops who’ve taken Bridget hostage.

Bridget screams and Mac decks her and the viewers cheer.

Would they actually kill her off?  Ray might not be functional then, beyond going on a warpath and killing all the loved ones of the bad cops.  He might actually get that therapy with Alan Alda but that wouldn’t make for a lot of action.

The writers also don’t bother to show how one minute Bunchy is talking about running away to New Zealand and the next time they show him  he’s being led away in handcuffs.

He’s another character for whom the writers don’t seem to have good story ideas any longer.  But all of Rays family exists to get int9 trouble or danger so that Ray could fix everything.

• Love 4

Wow, jumping out a window into an alley somehow caused Ray to start apologizing to everyone - even Mickey?! That must have been a hell of a fall.

Part of me feels bad for Bunchy because he's had a lot of shitty things happen to him: sexually abused by the priest, Mickey for a father, and he clearly isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. But the fact that Ray and Terry have come to his rescue so many times makes me a little bit glad that he finally turned himself in. I don't think prison will be good for a guy like him, but I also want him to stop fucking up and maybe being in a controlled environment will at least keep him from fucking up Maria's life.

Mac is on my shit list now. Even if he feels like he's been backed into a corner and he has to cooperate with the other cops with kidnapping Bridget, he could have at least changed the channel when Bridget asked him to. There are a million other channels on the tv so pick another one. It's bad enough you have a kidnapped girl in your basement. You don't need to torture her with a movie she used to watch with her dead mom on top of everything else (and I say this as someone who can't stand Bridget or Abby). Even if it hadn't been a movie she watched with her mom, why do you think she would want to associate an awesome movie like Dirty Dancing with being kidnapped for the rest of her life?

And OF COURSE Smitty bought a car with cocaine.

I briefly thought that Sam had a heart when she immediately handed the flash drive back to Ray. Nope!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I also was pleased to watch Mac punch Bridget.   Smitty is too handsome a kid to be with Bridget.  He's got model features, and her face looks like it's been squished.  She's a 5 to his 9. 

With Bunchy back in custody, Terry needs to head to New Zealand, get his nervous system fixed and ditch his loser family.  But he won't because he's as stupid as they are. 

How does Ray still have his loft and the Cadillac?  Didn't Sam fire him & tell him to clear out?

• Love 3
10 hours ago, scrb said:

The writers also don’t bother to show how one minute Bunchy is talking about running away to New Zealand and the next time they show him  he’s being led away in handcuffs.

Ok, I thought it was just me missing something.  Terry and Bunchy with their beat up faces talking about where Bunchy could escape to...this show!

As always, I’m weirdly touched when this effed up family all comes together when one of them is really in trouble.  I hope Ray doesn’t think he needs to help Mickey now.

Apropos of nothing, I really liked Sam’s glasses.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, leighdear said:

I also was pleased to watch Mac punch Bridget

She got two hits this episode.  The writers must have been tired of her too.  

Ray must have gotten bad news every 10 minutes. If he had ran out of clean white shirts, that would have been the cherry on top.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, leighdear said:

With Bunchy back in custody, Terry needs to head to New Zealand, get his nervous system fixed and ditch his loser family.  But he won't because he's as stupid as they are. 

I guess we're suppose to believe that he doesn't have money or options like that.

I thought he got some money when he first got that device implanted.  So during that season (was it season 5?), he had nice wardrobe and then sold his LA gym or made some money because that boxer helped promote his gym.

So he has enough to move to Manhattan?  Why did he go to NYC anyways?  First it was Bridget, then he's there.  Ray ends up there and tried to kill himself but Mac rescued him and Sam bankrolled him.  But why did Terry go?  The young boxer he was training is now gone too.

Yet Terry opens a gym in what is now a very expensive Manhattan and he has a private apt. with some room.  Not luxurious but I bet it costs way more than the $1000 they were talking about needing for an airline ticket.

They were so hard up that they were doing those street fights?  $50k isn't bad but a year's rent in Manhattan might eat up most of it.

• Love 2

When Bunchy and Terry were sitting at the table talking all I could focus on was that was the worlds saddest rotisserie chicken sitting on the table. No wonder Bunchy turned himself in.

I’m sorry but cold punching a defenseless girl makes ole whatshisnamecop the worst and I can’t wait for Ray to off him. 

How did Terry go from cured of his Parkinson’s, dressing nice, running his own gym to this?

I’m still watching this show but it has turned into the most joyless bloody nonsense on tv. And why does a guy that gets beat bloody daily continue to wear white dress shirts. Cmon Ray maybe it’s time to go with a nice black T-shirt. 

Its that bad that these are the things going thru my head while watching.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, scrb said:

Ray had the mayor get the FBI to drop its investigation into Bunchy. As soon as Sam gave the recording to her reporter and it was played on the news, Bunchy had his protection removed. 

5 hours ago, sadie said:

How did Terry go from cured of his Parkinson’s, dressing nice, running his own gym to this?

Terry wasn't cured, he had a device implanted that took away or reduced the symptoms, particularly the shaking. But, the fighting probably damaged the device and he can't afford to have a new one implanted. 

I was also confused at the beginning. I was wondering why the cops threw Ray out a window, but then they started chasing him and it hit me that he dove out. It's good to know that dirty cops don't know how to keep someone under control. 

• Love 3

Adrenaline is a helluva drug. Especially after you've jumped out of a second story window with dirty cops on your tail.

Yep, Mac has a death wish. If Ray or another Donovan doesn't kill him, one of his fellow cops probably will. Or, as I predicted a few episodes back, he'll simply eat his gun.

Terry is on the "Mickey needs to go back to prison" train and I'm with him. Mickey will ruin all their lives if they let him.

Okay, Sam needs to die for sure now. I hope Ray gets to kill her.

Yikes, they trusted Smitty to take care of that cop on his own? Odds are the guy will get lose, bust through the back seat, and escape.

• Love 4

I would guess Ray managed to get away from them and ran through the window.

It would be stupid if they threw him out.  They were going to torture him to get the recording so it makes no sense they'd throw him out and then had to run downstairs and go around the long building giving Ray enough time to get up and run away.

What a hot mess of total stupidity this show deteriorated into. I don't even know where to begin. Jon Voight seems to enjoy the humor of it all but I am surprised Liev Schreiber has not asked to leave this show. It is beyond preposterous. At the end of every episode Ray is beaten up and surfaces in the next episode like a walking zombie. And each time his zombie state is kicked up a notch.  

ETA: Liev Schreiber is a producer of RD, so that answers my question.

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 2

Hard to believe that this show at one time had some care and effort apparent in the writing. To say it is now being phoned in is an insult to phones.

It has been confirmed that this is the last season, right? Pretty please?

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Bannon said:

Hard to believe that this show at one time had some care and effort apparent in the writing. To say it is now being phoned in is an insult to phones.

It has been confirmed that this is the last season, right? Pretty please?

Sorry, but, "Ahead of Ray Donovan’s Season 6 finale, Showtime has ordered a seventh season of the hit drama series starring Liev Schreiber and Jon Voight. Production will begin this spring in New York."

• Love 1
2 hours ago, preeya said:

Sorry, but, "Ahead of Ray Donovan’s Season 6 finale, Showtime has ordered a seventh season of the hit drama series starring Liev Schreiber and Jon Voight. Production will begin this spring in New York."

Ugh. That's just stealing money at this point. The shame of it is that there is the kernal of a good story with Ray getting treatment for his PTSD from Hawkeye, but  I have zero confidence in these writers executing it well.

• Love 4

This may have been the best episode on this show in a long time.  There was a great bit of tension and drama and action.  Bridget gagged is the best treat we've had in quite a while.  Still, it is preposterous.  Ray jumps through a second-story window onto a concrete street and picks himself up and runs away, avoiding cops shooting at him.  The boys beat the hell out of one cop and Mickey kills another one, with impunity.  And we have to suffer through snippets of Dirty Dancing.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Bannon said:

Ugh. That's just stealing money at this point. The shame of it is that there is the kernal of a good story with Ray getting treatment for his PTSD from Hawkeye, but  I have zero confidence in these writers executing it well.

The show lost it's way. It does not even remotely resemble what it was back in season 1. It is just the mental and physical deterioration of the main character and a family that gets beaten up and commits multiple murders and still evades permanent justice. 

At this rate, we need a Ray Donovan/Homeland  mashup, in order to reach peak preposterousness. Ray starts fixing problems for the President of the United States, while having a bondage themed affair with Carrie, while they join forces to put away a case of Jameson a day. Bridget and her coke dealing BF become Carrie's live in nannies. Bunchy becomes  Secret Service Agent with a permanent Bring Your Daughter to Work day.  Terry stages bare knuckle fights in the Rose Garden. Mick becomes White House Press Secretary, and regularly pulls hold ups on network new personalities.

(edit) Oh, snd Connah is the Marine assigned to standing at the steps of the helicopter and saluting the President, while lacking 30 pounds of muscle, and 5 inches too much hair for the part.

Edited by Bannon
  • Love 1

I don't think RD has deteriorated nearly as fast or as much as Homeland has.

I don't have a great recollection of those earlier seasons though.

Of course Homeland hit a pretty high peak in the first couple of seasons before it went off the rails.

There are definitely plausibility problems in the current season but nothing like Homeland, which has been on the plausibility train to hell for several years now.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, scrb said:

I don't have a great recollection of those earlier seasons though.

Of course Homeland hit a pretty high peak in the first couple of seasons before it went off the rails.

There are definitely plausibility problems in the current season but nothing like Homeland, which has been on the plausibility train to hell for several years now.

"Not as ridiculous as Homeland" is damnation via faint praise, indeed.

I agree. I think Homeland went off the rails when they decided to cater to the fans who loved Carrie's romance with a terrorist and brought Brody back. That was some next-level shark-jumping. Ray Donovan's problem, or one of them anyway, is just not being able to let go. It wouldn't be the first or last series to overstay its welcome. I sure hope they won't try to go for ten seasons just to make the run a nice even number.

Ann Biderman, the creator, left a couple of season no ago.

Who knows if ratings have improved since.

Showtime hangs onto its shows if they last at least a couple of seasons.  May be a CBS thing.

But they kept Dexter on too long as well and they’re giving the Affair a couple more seasons than they should.

still watch to the bitter end, for some weird sense of closure.

• Love 1

At this rate, we need a Ray Donovan/Homeland  mashup, in order to reach peak preposterousness. Ray starts fixing problems for the President of the United States, while having a bondage themed affair with Carrie, while they join forces to put away a case of Jameson a day. Bridget and her coke dealing BF become Carrie's live in nannies. Bunchy becomes  Secret Service Agent with a permanent Bring Your Daughter to Work day.  Terry stages bare knuckle fights in the Rose Garden. Mick becomes White House Press Secretary, and regularly pulls hold ups on network new personalities.

This is a great idea!  Showtime, make it happen!  Happy New Year everybody!

• Love 1
16 hours ago, preeya said:

Haha! I love this show. It just won't die. It's stupid and beyond preposterous, but I make a point of having several beers before I watch it every week and I spend most of the episode laughing and having an extra drink every time someone says "sure". Emmy fodder it ain't, but it's no end of fun.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, BigDfromLA said:

Smitty is the biggest idiot/moron in the history of this show.

PLEASE relocate the show to L.A. for the next season!!!!!!!!

From what I've read, it looks as if the show will remain in NY.

After this season's antics, we'll have to see how Mayor Sarandon runs the Big Apple.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1
On 12/31/2018 at 9:43 AM, preeya said:

As Ray would say "What?" Why would the people involved with the show want to do another season? This shit is painful to watch anymore. I pretty much want every character dead, but Bridget first please.

I really liked this episode.  There has been "ridiculous" stuff happening in this show for years.  That's why Ray is still alive.  That doesn't detract me from enjoying the underlying story line.

Mickey showed family is everything to him.  He took care of Ray in his apartment and then led the charge to rescue Bridget.  I finally was able to enjoy him this season.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Dminches said:

Mickey showed family is everything to him.  He took care of Ray in his apartment

This is a pet peeve of mine and is by no means limited to this show. Ray is a pretty large guy. Mickey is much shorter and is 80+ years old. Yet, somehow he was able to get Ray's unconscious body across the room, off the floor, and comfortably into the bed. Not only should it have been either impossible or we should have at least seen Mickey sweating like a pig from the exertion, but there should also be streaks of blood on the nice wood floors of the apartment. Unless we're supposed to believe that Mick heaved Ray onto his shoulder and carried him to the bed.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

This is a pet peeve of mine and is by no means limited to this show. Ray is a pretty large guy. Mickey is much shorter and is 80+ years old. Yet, somehow he was able to get Ray's unconscious body across the room, off the floor, and comfortably into the bed. Not only should it have been either impossible or we should have at least seen Mickey sweating like a pig from the exertion, but there should also be streaks of blood on the nice wood floors of the apartment. Unless we're supposed to believe that Mick heaved Ray onto his shoulder and carried him to the bed.

I agree that none of this makes any sense, similar to so many other things.

Edited by Dminches
  • Love 2
On 12/31/2018 at 4:30 PM, Bannon said:

"Not as ridiculous as Homeland" is damnation via faint praise, indeed.

You want to see a great show watch The Bureau.  It’s the French version of Homeland without the foolishness.  Best show I have ever seen.  I hope there’s a fifth season.