Type keyword(s) to search

Orvillian Media: Wireless Telecommunications Facility

shapeshifter
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, chaifan said:

When Orville does go to Hulu, I hope it isn't a full season dump.  I actually like episodes being parsed out on a "traditional" weekly schedule. 

Me too, especially because it makes it easier to talk about it here if everyone's just watched the same episode.

• Love 3

Disney has announced that they are going to offer a $13 Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN+ bundle. Unfortunately it’s the version of Hulu with ads (the other two are supposed to be ad free) but it might be useful for anyone on the fence. 

On 7/29/2019 at 4:36 AM, Yeah No said:

I'm still pissed but considering my options.  I'm either going to get the Amazon Fire Stick or another one that works off a smart phone and is app based.  I like that idea too.  My friend is considering getting Hulu.  I told her maybe we could split the cost.  I have another friend that's considering going in on it with us so it would be a 3-way split.

If you decide to go with the fire stick you can get a really good deal if you wait until Black Friday. The price usually drops to around $15. They frequently go on sale at other times so I wouldn’t pay full price unless you are in a hurry.  

Just so you know Hulu only allow two simultaneous streams. I would only do a three way split if you know that you won’t all want to watch something at the same time. 

Edited by Guest
2 hours ago, Dani said:

Disney has announced that they are going to offer a $13 Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN+ bundle. Unfortunately it’s the version of Hulu with ads (the other two are supposed to be ad free) but it might be useful for anyone on the fence. 

If you decide to go with the fire stick you can get a really good deal if you wait until Black Friday. The price usually drops to around $15. They frequently goes on sale at other times so I wouldn’t pay full price unless you are in a hurry.  

Just so you know Hulu only allow two simultaneous streams. I would only do a three way split if you know that you won’t all want to watch something at the same time. 

Hulu also had a Black Friday special (which I missed by 1 day because I signed up earlier) of $1 a month for 6 months. For now, Hulu is $6 a month. If you wait until all the episodes of Orville air, you can just get the free month and binge. Last I read, they will be premiered weekly, like Discovery did.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 7/29/2019 at 9:15 PM, Yeah No said:
On 7/29/2019 at 12:14 PM, chaifan said:

When Orville does go to Hulu, I hope it isn't a full season dump.  I actually like episodes being parsed out on a "traditional" weekly schedule. 

Me too, especially because it makes it easier to talk about it here if everyone's just watched the same episode.

I agree. This is a show in which each episode has a lot for us to dissect. 😉
And then those who only want to get Hulu for a month can wait to watch at the end of the season and still respond to comments for each episode here.
ETA:
I just realized that sounds a little one-percent-er-ish of me, because I'm guessing those who "want" to only get Hulu for a month would really rather be able to afford to have Hulu for the run of the show. 
FWIW: I only have Hulu as a post-retirement perk from my former employer, but if that goes away, I will probably be able to get it through a daughter. Otherwise, not in my budget either.

10 minutes ago, ketose said:

Last I read, they will be premiered weekly, like Discovery did.

Link?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Dani said:

If you decide to go with the fire stick you can get a really good deal if you wait until Black Friday. The price usually drops to around $15. They frequently goes on sale at other times so I wouldn’t pay full price unless you are in a hurry.  

Thanks for that info.  I got Chromecast, but now may also get the Fire Stick on Black Friday.

It's just hubby and me at home so no need to worry about multiple sets at the same time.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, kariyaki said:

For me, it's not the money, it's the principle. I can afford Hulu, I just refuse to get it.

I'm starting to understand my parents, who steadfastly refused to get cable on principle for umpteen years until they were forced to when their apartment building decided not to upgrade the analog building antenna when broadcast TV switched over to digital.  They felt that TV should be free because of all the commercials.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Cable tv was originally developed for people living in poor reception areas. Premium channels didn't have commercials (and still don't), but regular cable channels always did. There are channels that were originally premium/commercial-free (Disney/AMC/TCM) but they changed themselves to non-premium to get more eyeballs on their programming.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, ketose said:

Which principle?

I dislike the trend of decentralizing everything so that you have to get 12 different apps to watch the shows you want. It won't last and I'm just going to wait until the dust settles.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, kariyaki said:

I dislike the trend of decentralizing everything so that you have to get 12 different apps to watch the shows you want. It won't last and I'm just going to wait until the dust settles.

It's going to backfire spectacularly for the providers (and sadly so for their workers). It's not like there's a Seinfeld or a Dallas that virtually everyone is watching that will make these "exclusive streaming deals" worthwhile.

Not to mention the, ahem, "other ways" viewers can watch programming that is otherwise unavailable to them, meaning no one really is forced to buy a streaming service they don't want.

• Love 4

I still see the ultimate result of the streaming "wars" being a pay as you go system. If you want to own The Orville, you can buy episodes from Amazon for $3 each or buy both seasons for an average of $1.50 an episode.  Buying licensed content digitally is probably the closest we'll get to avoiding another subscription.

The days of Netflix as a one-stop shop are over. Their success was in monetizing something the other content owners didn't think was valuable. Now each one thinks they can squeeze a little more money out by subscriptions. Frankly, that may last for a while in a country where people would pay $200 a month for cable TV before cutting the cord.

Edited by ketose
Because they're and their are two different things.
  • Love 3

Currently I have Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime with Hbo through my cable package. I do plan on adding Disney + as well. I think I will just cycling through the others to watch what I want and then cancel. I got CBS for 2 months and watched what I wanted and then cancelled. It's just too much money for not enough content on some of these smaller services.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Arynm said:

Currently I have Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime with Hbo through my cable package. I do plan on adding Disney + as well. I think I will just cycling through the others to watch what I want and then cancel. I got CBS for 2 months and watched what I wanted and then cancelled. It's just too much money for not enough content on some of these smaller services.

Don't forget DC Universe.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Hulu is the only paid streaming service I have, back when it was "discounted" to $6/month. I like it because they pick up cable shows I used to watch before I cut the cord. It also has shows like the older Treks which are only available on paid streamers. Plus, it's my DVR when I miss recordings of OTA shows like The Rookie or The Orville.

I think all the paid services have different models. Netflix charges $9-$16 a month, but there's no ads and everything is available. Amazon Prime video is $9 a month if you don't get regular Amazon Prime for $10 a month. They have no ads and a limited free selection, but you can also buy (or rent) new movies and TV shows a la carte. Stuff like DCU and CBS All Access have a very limited selection and seem to only be worth it if you really want to see the specific shows available.

• Love 1
On 7/22/2019 at 4:06 PM, Danielg342 said:

CityTV also broadcast The Orville in Canada, at the same time FOX did. So I hope they continue to do so.

I used to watch on CityTV. Space has always been good about getting the popular SciFi shows for us Canucks, so I'm keeping a positive attitude that they will for The Orville as well.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

I emailed CITY TV after the Hulu announcement came down. The Orville is still slated to air on CITY TV next season.

So when it comes back in November 2020 it will be on CITY again?

That's good news for me, if true. I worry CITY might not want to wait that long.

• Love 1

as far as the CITY people know, yes, The Orville will return to CITY TV next fall, yes.

Seth actually tweeted similarly: that the Hulu move was just the USA. According to his own tweet, the international airings won't change from previous arrangements. He was awaiting additional confirmation of that from higher ups ("yes, I actually have bosses") but he was under the impression that the show stays wherever it was in all the international markets. (my tweet to CITY was *after* Seth's statement, just for clarity)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 7/22/2019 at 9:25 PM, Dani said:

ADRIANNE PALICKI FILES FOR DIVORCE FROM SCOTT GRIMES

I was surprised to see this headline since I only found out they got married yesterday. I wonder if it’s part of the reason for the season 3 delay. 

On 7/23/2019 at 12:11 AM, Danielg342 said:

I wonder too. I feel sorry for them both, and I hope they're at least cordial with each other. I'd hate to have two cast members have actual animosity towards each other- that's no fun.

This is why you don't shit where you eat.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

This is why you don't shit where you eat.

I don't think it was as bitter a breakup as that. I think they probably both just realized that it was too soon to get married and that they'd both made a mistake by rushing into it. They hadn't been dating all that long before they got engaged, after all, and there's a lot of truth to the old saying "marry in haste, repent at leisure."

• Love 2
3 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

I don't think it was as bitter a breakup as that. I think they probably both just realized that it was too soon to get married and that they'd both made a mistake by rushing into it. They hadn't been dating all that long before they got engaged, after all, and there's a lot of truth to the old saying "marry in haste, repent at leisure."

There's this blind item from Blind Gossip:

https://blindgossip.com/four-breakups-to-spin/

Actress and Actor (married): Both have been very quiet about their short marriage. The truth?

"He cheated on her right after the wedding. Dude can’t keep that alien in his pants! Ha ha. I really don’t know how they are going to work together after this. They can’t feud in public because it would be bad for the show. She’s pissed, though."

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Useful 2

It seems it's possible to get a discount for Disney+ if you sign up for a Three Year Subscription BEFORE Labor Day.

Disney Plus discount: Buy two years and get the third free The offer ends on Labor Day.

Another Promotional Link:

Everything You Need to Know about the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ Bundle.

I posted this here because it became a topic of conversation when "The Orville" was cancelled and tentatively picked up by "Hulu".

Unfortunately, the Hulu Ad-Free option is not part of the bundle.

Edited by Jacks-Son
Sorry, if already posted elsewhere.
  • Love 1

Wait, I just saw this. The show is moving to Hulu exclusively? WTF! I love the show, but I have Netflix and barely watch anything on it, I am not getting another streaming service. I will miss the show. I will borrow it from the library when it comes out on Blu Ray.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

I'm not a fan of streaming services only dropping one episode at a time.  But I will say I wouldn't mind it in the case of The Orville.  That's not a knock on the show. which I've become a really big fan of.  I just think The Orville works better airing as a weekly series.

• Love 4

Anyone else think the timing of all this is weird?  The show received it's renewal announcement in May, and it was around July that McFarland announced that they're going to Hulu because he wouldn't have episodes done in time for the 2019 fall season.  But they're just starting production now???  What has everyone been doing for the last 6 months? 

1 hour ago, chaifan said:

Anyone else think the timing of all this is weird?  The show received it's renewal announcement in May, and it was around July that McFarland announced that they're going to Hulu because he wouldn't have episodes done in time for the 2019 fall season.  But they're just starting production now???  What has everyone been doing for the last 6 months? 

Fall shows don't even start production until July. Even before the Hulu announcement, The Orville was slated as a midseason show, so it makes sense that they hadn't started production yet.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Fall shows don't even start production until July. Even before the Hulu announcement, The Orville was slated as a midseason show, so it makes sense that they hadn't started production yet.

Thanks, Kariyaki.  I never knew that.  I always assumed that things got rolling soon after renewals were announced.  I'm surprised that it takes that little time (July - Sept) to get episodes filmed and ready to air. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Thanks, Kariyaki.  I never knew that.  I always assumed that things got rolling soon after renewals were announced.  I'm surprised that it takes that little time (July - Sept) to get episodes filmed and ready to air. 

Possible for a show like CSI:Whatever or Magnum P.I., but not for a show like The Orville where everything is computer generated and full of special effects and alien make-up. They have to be renewed way ahead of time so they can do all the post-production, which could take months.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 10/24/2019 at 12:06 PM, chaifan said:

I don't know how much it means but the staff did have to deal with the fallout from the divorce of Scott Grimes and Adrianne Palicki. Can't imagine that was easy on set for a while.

2 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

I don't know how much it means but the staff did have to deal with the fallout from the divorce of Scott Grimes and Adrianne Palicki. Can't imagine that was easy on set for a while.

For those of you following the show on Instagram, there were pictures of the cast at the first table read and at ComicCon. I have no idea if they were just acting, but everyone looked chummy. 

• Love 2
On 10/27/2019 at 8:26 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

They are professional actors. I would think the success of the show and a steady gig is going to take precedence over any awkwardness.

Yes, and they aren’t young adults with immature impulse control, and it was a relatively brief relationship (not like divorcing after 10 years of marriage) and no mutual kids involved. I hope they can at least be frenemies and have at least a little sense of humor about the situation —because otherwise work is gonna be as much of a drag for them as it is for most mortals non-actors. 
But…

On 10/27/2019 at 7:13 PM, Superclam said:

For those of you following the show on Instagram, there were pictures of the cast at the first table read and at ComicCon. I have no idea if they were just acting, but everyone looked chummy. 

.…acting so we can’t tell they’re acting is what they’re paid to do, so if they can do that, it’s all good —I guess. 

• Love 2