Type keyword(s) to search

Orvillian Media: Wireless Telecommunications Facility

shapeshifter
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

That was a marketing error by FOX. They made the mistake of trying to sell it as a pure comedy or  mere parody of Star Trek, which was NEVER what Seth intended it to be. He himself described the show early on as "a sci-fi/drama cake with comedy frosting." So this has always been the show's intended direction from the beginning. Seth is just putting more emphasis on what he has always considered to be the true nature of the show at its core.

Yes, FOX marketed the show as live action Family Guy in Space. Which the show clearly wasn't. But it also wasn't what this trailer makes it seems like the show might be like this season: an action-packed space shoot-em-up.

Instead, it was basically more of a version of Trek than most of the streaming Trek -- optimistic, philosophical, filled with political analogies about today. The main differences besides having to sidestep that they can't 100 percent clone TNG were that instead of a crew that's the best of humanity that's obsessed with Shakespeare and jazz and classical music, the Orville crew are regular people and listen to stuff like Journey.

So the fact that Fox did deceptive marketing in the first place makes me wonder if Hulu is ALSO doing deceptive marketing thinking that pew-pew bang-bang would be more enticing to new viewers than TNG 2.0, or if the marketing accurately reflects a new direction for the show. (One that I think I would like less than what we got the first two seasons.)

• Love 3

FOX? Error? That's unpossible!

In the trailer, there seems to be more action in terms of the Orville in combat than before iirc. There were more a science and exploratory mission. The Orville as a ship itself, it's the flagship in the fleet. I remember they had to pull some bonkers maneuver because they didn't have the guns to engage an adversary. 

So I take the 'new horizons' as the Orville maybe gets a new mission or pressed into service. 

• Love 2

I guess that explains the New Horizons. I was excited to finally watch the show again, but I'm really interested in why 'entire regions of unexplored space are wide open'. 

I appreciate Seth typically defaults to RI trash talk. I always get in trouble. 
And A Million Ways to Die in the West is underrated. 

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:
  • "Episodes are longer, with the two we saw running longer than an hour. Some of that extra runtime goes towards glorious digital shots of the show's starships that might not have been possible on a network television budget. 
    ". . . MacFarlane says . . . 'From a storytelling standpoint, it's much better for me because the biggest issue I have with, particularly, the prevalence of streaming programming, there's some talented writers working on network dramas, but the problem is that you have to cut everything down to exactly 43 minutes. That's not how storytelling works. It doesn't. Not every story wants to be the same length' . . ."

And from the Jimmy Kimmel interview:
which was very enjoyable even if Jimmy Kimmel did keep pronouncing Orville like it had an extra syllable, like Oroville.

• . . . 

[KIMMEL (starting at about 8:50)] Did you get more money from Hulu or something?
    Why does the show all of a sudden really like it's in space?

[SETH] . . . yeah, you know we we were on FOX before, and that's over--thank the lord, but uh that relationship was deteriorating--

[KIMMEL] Yes you uh I think I believe you took a space laser to it as I recall--

[SETH] um but yeah now Hulu and Disney really believed in the show and they they really gave us a shot at doing a big swing here so each episode is basically a little movie--

[KIMMEL] Is New Horizon a take on like uh Next
    Generation (Star Trek Next Generation)?

[SETH] It started off as a suggestion from corporate, you know, "maybe you want to give it a subheading this year just to kind of . . .indicate to the audience that you've kind of taken a step up in production value."

[KIMMEL] . . .oh interesting well i guess it
    makes sense; I mean as much as anything makes sense. . . 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I don't think it's too much of Hulu to want to rebrand the show as its original property. 

I'm pleased to hear they're not sticking to the unnecessary 43 minute constraint. Take advantage of the platform. 

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Take advantage of the platform. 

I’m guessing they’ll also be taking advantage of less censorship a la Evil and we’ll be getting f-bombs now?

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/26/2022 at 11:45 AM, kariyaki said:

I’m guessing they’ll also be taking advantage of less censorship a la Evil and we’ll be getting f-bombs now?

There are a few shows that I have watched that went from network TV to streaming and they all took advantage of the lack of a swear filter:

Designated Survivor just went nuts and had every character swearing like a sailor at any and all times.
Lucifer kept it pretty tasteful and saved the f-bombs for rare occasions. I think this worked pretty well. Edit: for context, this is a show about the literal, actual Devil.
SEAL Team does not have as much swearing as you'd expect but they cuss pretty good when it is called for. Some characters still drop the f-bomb like they have something to prove but one character offhandedly called a random bad guy a "shitbird" and that was about perfect for how you'd expect a Navy SEAL to talk.

Star Trek: Discovery dropped an f-bomb now and again and Star Trek: Picard had a couple in the first season but I think they left it out in the second season. I don't recall any serious cussing on Strange New Worlds as of yet (four episodes in). Swearing on Lower Decks is bleeped.

For The Orville I think there is a certain risk that they will swear in a manner similar to Bortus and Klyden discovering cigarettes. But Seth hopefully knows better than to overdo it.

Edited by dwmarch
context
  • Useful 2
16 minutes ago, dwmarch said:

There are a few shows that I have watched that went from network TV to streaming and they all took advantage of the lack of a swear filter:

Designated Survivor just went nuts and had every character swearing like a sailor at any and all times.
Lucifer kept it pretty tasteful and saved the f-bombs for rare occasions. I think this worked pretty well. Edit: for context, this is a show about the literal, actual Devil.

Lucifer took advantage of being able to show nudity.

Just now, shapeshifter said:

So we'll probably see butts. 

Yeah, Tom Ellis showed his butt a few times and they had an episode about a murder at a nudist colony where the actors were nude and they would walk around and be covered by furniture or holding something in front of their body.

1 minute ago, AnimeMania said:

Yeah, Tom Ellis showed his butt a few times and they had an episode about a murder at a nudist colony where the actors were nude and they would walk around and be covered by furniture or holding something in front of their body.

An episode of Monk (on a cable channel) had some pretty hilarious camouflage devices for members of a nudist group. 
I do hope The Orville still leans into the funny.

The nudity is going to be tough on a space ship with officers having individual quarters unless there's some kind of group shower, but I don't see the officers as part of that. And I'm all pro-nudity, but I don't see how it works in here without being a gimmick. Unless they are tasked to welcome a new civilization into the Union, and they happen to be super casual about nudity. Which would be really funny if it was like nude aliens. Ed - "Wait. Are they all naked? Where are we going to have them sit to sign the papers?" 

The swearing seems more organic because I can see Ed being salty with Kelly or Gordon, or even Claire dropping one now and then. Bortus learning how to swear would be gold. When I lived in a foreign country for a while, a non english speaking friend asked about the proper use of 'fuck'. It was over an hour discussion. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I must be watching the wrong shows because I haven't seen any nudity on any of the shows I watch on streaming networks!  I have heard swearing but nothing too gratuitous.  "Wireless Telecommunications Facility" indeed.  

• LOL 1
25 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I must be watching the wrong shows because I haven't seen any nudity on any of the shows I watch on streaming networks!  I have heard swearing but nothing too gratuitous.  "Wireless Telecommunications Facility" indeed.  

The first season of The Witcher and the upcoming 3rd season of The Boys should fill your quota of nudity for quite some time.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 2

This article also includes video of TVLine's Q&A with the Orville cast...

The Orville Season 3: How Is Isaac Like Rudy Giuliani...? Plus, Stars Talk New Faces, Norm Macdonald's Farewell Run
By Matt Webb Mitovich / May 28 2022,
https://tvline.com/2022/05/28/the-orville-season-3-preview-isaac-tension-new-characters/ 

Storyline-wise, things are a bit tense aboard The Orville when Season 3 opens, given that Isaac (played by Mark Jackson) is again serving as Chief Science Officer, even in the wake of his fellow Kaylons attempting to take over the galaxy. In the video above, MacFarlane, Palicki and Jerald — who respectively play Captain Ed Mercer, Cmdr. Kelly Grayson and Chief Medical Officer Dr. Claire Finn — preview the mixed reactions to Isaac’s presence, including how it can be likened to their former network’s recent dealings with a certain former mayor.

MacFarlane then dives into who and what’s new for Season 3, including Anne Winters (13 Reasons Why) as Ensign Charly Burke, and some exciting creature designs. The early episodes also reveal a (thankfully!) redesigned shuttlecraft, as well as a single-pilot craft that Gordon (Scott Grimes) takes for a test drive.
Also in the video above, Palicki and Jerald hype some of their favorite episodes ahead, while MacFarlane talks about what it mean to get one final season with Norm Macdonald as the gelatinous and hilarious Yaphit, before the comedian passed last September.

In closing, TVLine asked MacFarlane about recent rumblings (stemming from a cast member’s new TV role) that The Orville will be docked — for good — after Season 3. “It’s really just a question of, is there an audience?” he said. “And that’s what remains to be seen.”

• Love 2

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on CSI: Vegas, Ghosts, Blood & Treasure, The Orville, the Walker Prequel, WWDITS and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / June 1 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/csi-vegas-bigger-season-2/ 

Scoop on Season 3 of The Orville? –Michael
Thursday’s Season 3 premiere (on Hulu) goes somewhere I was not expecting, and as such is surprisingly heartbreaking, while Episode 3 involves arguably one of the series’ Star Trek: TOS-iest landing party excursions ever.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Recaps June 2 Hulu premiere of Season 3...

The Orville Creator, Star Talk About Tackling the Issue of [______] — Plus, Grade the Season 3 Premiere on Hulu
By Matt Webb Mitovich / June 2 2022
https://tvline.com/2022/06/02/the-orville-recap-season-3-premiere-hulu/

Thanks for posting, @tv echo
I agree with the TVLine comments to the article  that a recap of the previous seasons——especially given the several year long break due to COVID——would have been helpful.

So they’re committed to less comedy. Fine, but I hope there might be an occasional, more lighthearted episode.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Inside Line: Scoop on Stranger Things, The Boys, All Rise, Heels, Sweet Valley, Call Me Kat, The Orville and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / June 13 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/stranger-things-will-steve-die-demobat-bite-season-4/ 

I’ve been keeping my eyes peeled with The Orville, looking for Eliza Taylor. Any idea when she shows up (or maybe already did)? –Craig

Spoiler

I can confirm that the 100 alum was not LeMarr’s prickly hook-up in Episode 1 (remember, Taylor’s role required getting fitted for prosthetics, shown above), nor does she show up this week. Rather, series creator Seth MacFarlane told me to look for her “later in the season.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)
On 6/3/2022 at 6:51 AM, shapeshifter said:

So they’re committed to less comedy. Fine, but I hope there might be an occasional, more lighthearted episode.  

So that's on purpose, eh? IMO it is what will tank the show. Not sure there is a big audience for a lesser version of ST:TNG. The writing isn't good enough to go straight.

Spoiler

For instance, in the most recent episode, the punchline occurred in the last 5 minutes. Basically, Ed saying he wants to live forever, because he wants to see what is next. This was after 50 minutes of pointless personal fears for each member of the landing party.

Given that punchline, the 50 minutes *should* have involved, say, meeting a species that is immortal, or near to it, and the issues with living that long (boredom, seeing everything happen 1,000 times, not much that is new, relationships with mortals, etc.). That could have set up a philosophical debate about whether human life spans or about right vs. Vulcan vs. being immortal. At the end, each crew member could have shared where they landed. Ed still could have said what he said, but Gordon might have said nah, 80-90 years is enough, etc. We could have learned more about how each main character thinks as well as met other species as well as had a thoughtful theme. 

But we didn't.

Spoiler

For some reason, we saw Gordon get beat up in a 21st century high school. We *should* have seen him get a swirly, and had some laughs along with a pretty lightweight story.

I think Seth making this a vanity project, is its Achilles heal. It's like life-long Washington Football Team owner Dan Snyder buying the "Commanders." His own belief in what it should be, in his eyes, misses his blind spots and actually lessons and/or kills the franchise.

Edited by Ottis
1 hour ago, dbklmt said:
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

They got BB for the audiobook though. 

I hope the audio book will be available through the Hulu subscription.

1 minute ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I think that's probably a bad sign as to their estimation of a S4. If they thought that they'd be renewed by Hulu, wouldn't they just save the episode for that?

Good point. Or if the spoken novella gains an audience among those of us who like to listen to podcasts (everyone and their uncle?) maybe that's the direction Seth wants to go with the series.

• Useful 1
(edited)
The Orville will be at SDCC on July 23...

Inside Line: Scoop on Walker, The Boys, Virgin River, Stranger Things 5, WWDITS, The Orville, Animal Kingdom and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / July 7 2022,
https://tvline.com/lists/the-boys-season-3-finale-spoilers-fights-closing-scene/ 

Anything new on The Orville? I’ve been loving Season 3. –Craig

Spoiler

Actually, during my latest chat with Seth MacFarlane, he revealed that on the guest casting front, Christopher Larkin aka The 100‘s Monty appears in the same episode (airdate TBD) as Eliza Taylor (whom he said is “fantastic’), “so fans of The 100 will get a little reunion there.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Comic-Con 2022 Panel Schedule For Film & TV: Saturday Serves Up ‘Black Adam’, ‘Shazam! Fury Of The Gods’, ‘House Of The Dragon’, MCU & More
By Anthony D'Alessandro, Patrick Hipes   July 9, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/07/comic-con-2022-scheduled-film-tv-panels-1235059088/ 

SATURDAY, JULY 23
3 p.m. – The Orville: New Horizons
Panelists: Cast Penny Johnson Jerald, Scott Grimes, Peter Macon, Jessica Szohr, J Lee, Anne Winters, Mark Jackson and Chad L. Coleman, executive producers David A. Goodman and Brannon Braga, co-producer Tom Costantino. Hulu. Ballroom 20.

• Love 1
(edited)

Matt's Inside Line: Get Scoop on Evil, All Rise, The Cleaning Lady, The Orville, Yellowstone, Bridgerton and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / July 15 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/evil-season-3-spoilers-the-cleaning-lady-season-2/ 

Any chance we’ll see Ed and Kelly’s romance rekindle by the end of The Orville Season 3? –Ashton

Spoiler

When I delivered your Q to Seth MacFarlane himself, he acknowledged, “Initially, it was supposed to be a Will They/Won’t They thing” between the exes, but as he listened to viewer feedback, “There are a lot of people who think that this idea of a divorced couple that can co-exist and be friends and work together and have a normal civilized relationship is a lot more profound than two people who we want to fall in love again… So lately I’ve been playing to that — they have this past and they have this connection with each other, but there’s something kind of potent about their ability to work as partners, even given all that.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Seth MacFarlane Announcement | The Orville | Disney+
Disney Plus   Jul 23, 2022

'The Orville' Panel | SDCC 2022 | Entertainment Weekly
Entertainment Weekly    Jul 24, 2022

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 7/23/2022 at 6:47 PM, AnimeMania said:

All 3 Seasons Of Seth MacFarlane’s ‘The Orville’ will be available to stream on Disney+ starting on August 10. The show will still be available on Hulu as well.

Any thoughts on whether that is a good, bad, or indifferent omen for the show getting renewed?

(edited)
6 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Any thoughts on whether that is a good, bad, or indifferent omen for the show getting renewed?

Disney owns Hulu, so they are probably trying to get more Disney + subscriptions.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Useful 2
18 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

All of their Star Wars stuff is on Disney+ and as they own both they're probably putting it on there as well in the hope that some Star Wars fans take a look & enjoy it enough to subscribe to both.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Disney owns Hulu, so they are probably trying to get more Disney + subscriptions.

The writing is on the wall that they're going to make Hulu part of Disney+ in the next few years, so this feels like a first step. Hulu originals are already on Disney+ outside the US. They have to keep it as a separate service until they buy out Comcast's share from the original deal between ABC, NBC, and Fox but Comcast has said they won't sell until 2024 at the earliest.

• Useful 6

Brannon Braga and Tom Constantino Talk The Orville At SDCC
Skewed and Reviewed Gareth Von Kallenbach     Jul 24, 2022

Mark Jackson, Penny Johnson Jerald, and Anne Winters Talk The Orville At SDCC.

J Lee and Jessica Szohr Talk The Orville At San Diego Comic Con

• Love 1

Recorded July 31, 2022...

THE ORVILLE PANEL (Adrianne Palicki, Peter Macon) – Terrificon 2022
Fandom Spotlite   Aug 3, 2022

Also FYI (spoilers)...

The Orville Recap: Could the Season 3 Finale Suffice as a Series Finale? Or Are You Still Clamoring for Renewal?
By Matt Webb Mitovich / August 4 2022
https://tvline.com/2022/08/04/the-orville-finale-recap-season-3-renewed-or-cancelled/ 

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
On 7/29/2022 at 9:49 AM, tv echo said:

Brannon Braga and Tom Constantino Talk The Orville At SDCC

Mark Jackson, Penny Johnson Jerald, and Anne Winters Talk The Orville At SDCC.

J Lee and Jessica Szohr Talk The Orville At San Diego Comic Con

Is it wrong that that I find Mark Jackson really kind of sexy with his natural accent, scruffy face and snug short-sleeve shirt?

• Love 4

Summer TV Winners & Losers: Epic Fantasy, Late-Night Diversity, Marvel, OMITB, The Boys, The Bear and More
By Team TVLine / September 5 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/summer-tv-winners-losers-best-worst-shows-decisions/

👍 WINNER: The Orville Season 3
Following a move from Fox to Hulu, one very long pandemic delay and at least one pushed premiere date, the Seth MacFarlane-captained space adventure series returned with a bang, making the most of its extended running times and delivering powerful stories bolstered by terrific performance. Now, where is that Season 4 renewal…?

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2