Type keyword(s) to search

Season 15 (2019) Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm not really a regular watcher of this show, but I have seen quite a few episodes; and more recently since UPTV started airing the reruns. I just saw one with a game that I hadn't seen before: "Press Conference". One player is giving a press conference - but that player doesn't know who he/she is or what has happened. The other players have to ask questions that give clues. It was really fun, and something I would want to try in real life. It was just odd that apparently this game wasn't used much on the show. (But I haven't seen all or even most of the episodes, so I'm not sure.)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Trini said:

I'm not really a regular watcher of this show, but I have seen quite a few episodes; and more recently since UPTV started airing the reruns. I just saw one with a game that I hadn't seen before: "Press Conference". One player is giving a press conference - but that player doesn't know who he/she is or what has happened. The other players have to ask questions that give clues. It was really fun, and something I would want to try in real life. It was just odd that apparently this game wasn't used much on the show. (But I haven't seen all or even most of the episodes, so I'm not sure.)

It was used quite a bit on the Drew Carey versions. It's pretty similar to the game where Colin is the field reporter standing in front of the green screen and the others give clues as to what's happening behind him. That game is used in the Aisha Tyler version. 

• Love 3
On 1/21/2019 at 3:13 PM, Trini said:

That is a great game. There are are so many wonderful games that they should bring back or do more often for the current version of the show. You would think with the popularity of the Marvel Cinematic Universe they would do the game "Superheroes" every once in a while.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

You would think with the popularity of the Marvel Cinematic Universe they would do the game "Superheroes" every once in a while.

Plus the show is on the CW, home of the DCTVU (Supergirl, Arrow, Flash, etc.).  It'd be synergistic and very on brand.

• Love 2

Yeah, it's fun to see Colbert on here :D. I loved when he did "Weird Newscasters" and Drew Carey was like, "You're going to be a newscaster". Carey predicted the future :p! 

I also remember him being in a "Scene to Rap" skit. Clearly not a skill of his, but it's entertaining to see him try. 

• Love 1

I've been watching the last few seasons of the original British version on Hulu. Hadn't seen them in decades but still remember scenes as they played. A few of the brit regulars were good but there were definitely some really bad guest players. The worst being Stephen Fry. He is a funny guy but really had no idea what was going on. Heck he stood around laughing and commenting at the other players at times forgetting that he was still in the scene.

Wayne Brady's first appearance was on the last season and on his first episode he took the singing games to another level. Josie Lawrence is probably second.

Starting a rewatch of the Drew Carrey years. Seen them so many times but they still crack me up. Can't wait for the Richard Simmons ep.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, lynxfx said:

A few of the brit regulars were good but there were definitely some really bad guest players. The worst being Stephen Fry. He is a funny guy but really had no idea what was going on. Heck he stood around laughing and commenting at the other players at times forgetting that he was still in the scene.

Which seems somewhat odd, because Stephen was one of the regulars on the original radio series of Whose Line.  Clive was still the host, Stephen and John Sessions were the only two regulars, and that's the origin of the final prize of reading the credits (although that was actually taken from another radio show.)  There were only 6 episodes made for radio, all broadcast in Jan. and Feb. of 1988.  The TV series started airing that same year in September.

However, the Wikipedia entry for the original UK TV run says that before the show started filming, Stephen was more or less tired of doing improv comedy and wanted out.  But the producers wanted the original cast to stay to help launch the show, and John talked Stephen into staying for the first series.  So Stephen's unusual behavior might have been because he didn't necessarily want to be there in the first place.

The source BTW, is this press release from October:

... The CW has also ordered new seasons of the hit magic series PENN & TELLER: FOOL US and MASTERS OF ILLUSION, and the classic improv comedy WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY? for Summer 2019. Premiere dates and times will be announced later.

• Love 2
On 3/20/2019 at 8:51 PM, lynxfx said:

Starting a rewatch of the Drew Carrey years. Seen them so many times but they still crack me up. Can't wait for the Richard Simmons ep.

The episode begins with Drew asking Wayne to act like Richard.   He does a whole song acting and talking like Richard.   Then Drew tells everyone that the next bit will feature a special guest:  out comes Richard himself.    The look on Wayne's face says it all.  He had no idea that Richard was waiting off stage.   Drew and the others are clearly laughing at the humiliating shock that Wayne is experiencing.  

• Love 3

I guess we're in for plenty more Helping Hands and Living Scenery. I liked last year when they had just done away with celebrities and there was more variety of games.

Still looking forward to the new season though.

• Love 3
(edited)

Chip Esten will be the guest comic for the Season 15 premiere tomorrow.

Following two one-off appearances in Seasons 13 and 14, Chip Esten will recur as a fourth performer for the first time since Season 8.

Edited by MikaelaArsenault
  • Love 3

Chip is okay, he seems to think he's really great, I don't sense any humility, but I could be wrong.

I like Jeff as the fourth chair the best, followed by Keegan Michael Key, but it's rare to get him nowadays.

I went to the Clive tapings in Hollywood, back in '97.  Memories.  (Okay so mainly memories of getting pulled over en route, ticketed for Driving Uninsured and having that mess me up for years afterwards, but still.)

I forgot if my shout for a suggested crisis in "Superheroes" made the air (it was semi-political and Clive turned it down flat), but it was a fun day, anyhow, watching a half-dozen episodes being filmed at once.

• Love 1
(edited)

I saw a taping way back in March 2001 when I was visiting some friends who lived in Van Nuys at the time. I had traveled from Ohio to spend my spring break out there. One of the things I was surprised at when we were let into the studio is how tiny the set was. It looked like a miniature of the set I had always seen on TV (same as when I went to a taping of Jay Leno's Tonight Show in 1998).

The biggest reaction the three-hour taping received was News Flash - when Colin was "reporting" on the skateboarders (painfully) wiping out. Of course, there was a hoedown, but I forget what the topic was for that. Hoedowns go much longer in the tapings than you see on TV. Yes, they make up the lyrics themselves, but the gaps between the verses are much longer than what hits the screen. It's all edited so tightly together that it looks like the hoedown is memorized beforehand, which it's not. The lineup that night was Drew, Ryan, Colin, Wayne and Jeff Davis. Another high point of the evening was when the taping was over and people were starting to file out of the studio. The friends I was with knew Wayne, so I got to get a hug from him!! Every time I see him hug a contestant on Let's Make a Deal, I always think of that moment. Great times.

Edited by catlover79
  • Love 4

I know this isn't a super active thread but I thought the guest star on the most recent episode Tinashe was hysterical. I tend to not like the guest start episodes and I'm really not a fan of the props game (where the guest and Wayne are the props) it always seems awkward for everyone but she was fantastic and seemed really into the whole thing. I was laughing so hard I had tears!

• Love 4

I enjoyed her, too. The dubbing game with her was fun :D. 

I also loved the whole Wizard of Oz bit. And it was fun to see Colin sitting in the background giggling at so much of what was happening whenever he wasn't in a skit :p. 

I think they've raised the bar for guests. The fact that both Inashe and Chris Hardwick playing singing games is very impressive. They're clearly being used as more than just audience volunteers and that means a lot more variety of games.

• Love 2

Last night's (7/1) episode had an old-time "Scenes Form a Hat" vibe - many different suggestions w/ only one or two responses shown. I prefer that to only having two or three suggestions w/ many responses. I know they likely film a lot of suggestions and responses and edit what they think are the best, but I just prefer it the way it went last night.

Scenes From a Hat has to be one of the all-time best sketches on WLiiA. One of my favorites:

Drew: "The worst thing to say after she says 'I love you'".

Josie: (Looks into camera and bursts into laughter.)

Colin: Yeah, keep the change.

Wayne: Well, that's nice...but you're not John!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Chyromaniac said:

Man, getting “lactation consultant” in an improv game must feel like a gift from the gods...

I love that they called back to that during the "Scenes from a Hat" game :D. 

9 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

Man, getting “lactation consultant” in an improv game must feel like a gift from the gods...

Is that even a real job, is it similar to the Butterball Turkey Hotline or does she only have one client at a time?

• Love 1
(edited)

It seems she might work in a hospital or she's a home nurse who goes to people's homes to assist with lactation.

Anyway, the episode relied too much on the guest, I found the repeat right after it so much funnier.

Edited by cpcathy
1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

Anyway, the episode relied too much on the guest, I found the repeat right after it so much funnier.

They probably had to use it all since they had so many call backs. They might tape one with the guest and one without the guest to use for later. The guests have been pretty funny so they haven't bothered me too much.

• Love 1

I thought she was pretty good- any time the guest can contribute during Song Styles, I’m happy. Living Props was just the usual gags, but at least had “time to dig our own graves,” which might be the line of the season so far.

• Love 2

Chip!!!  I am always so happy to see him on the show.  I laughed that Aisha introduced him as Charles but for the rest of the episode it was "Chip."  However, I felt his performance was a bit "off."  Usually he and Wayne do amazing on the singing competitions, this one just felt different-it could have been that the guest star kind of interjected when it was his "turn."  

I really enjoyed this most recent episode with Brad Sherwood as they brought out some games they haven't done for a while.  "If you know what I mean..." it's been ages since they've played that one.  I liked that they brought "awards" back but felt like it lacked a bit.  Oh, and the side-screen one.  They over did that one a few seasons back, but gave it a rest so it was good to see it-and the basketball idea was brilliant.  No guest star so that was really good as well.

Hope they keep bringing back some of the older games.

• Love 3
On 7/19/2019 at 1:25 PM, cpcathy said:

I LOVE Sideways scene. I do wonder if Ryan has a back issue or something, that he does not participate.

I don't know, but I know they pretty much discontinued Moving People because of Colin's back problems.

24 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

I don't know, but I know they pretty much discontinued Moving People because of Colin's back problems.

They recently did Moving People, but it might have been w/ Ryan and Wayne. Also, they no longer have them move the panel. Instead they just touch the arm or leg so they an move themselves.