Type keyword(s) to search

The X-Files in the Media

In case any of you are interested, Musings of an X-Phile is back up! Salome mysteriously stopped posting her excellent episode reviews back in 2012 and those of us who were fans of her site missed her tremendously. She recently started up her reviews again and is super excited for the revival.

I've spent a lot of time reading her episode commentary, and oftentimes it gives me a whole other level of appreciation for this show. I highly recommend checking it out.

• Love 1

Not sure if this would fit here entirely...

I just came across a book series by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg called The Fox and O'Hare novels and holy cow... the characters look just like Mulder and Scully. I kid you guys not O_o.

And the Mulder clone is six foot tall and has brown eyes and wears nice suits. His name is Nicolas Fox and the Scully clone is named Kate O'Hare.

Here's the cover:

msclone_zpsn7hmbg1p.jpg

Mulder and Scully visiting the Jimmy Kimmel show was pretty funny.  That dial-up modem sound gave me actual hives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6pLxYXpW8I

The interview segments with David and Gillian are hysterical.  I seriously just love those guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Uc0vLO0uA&index=5&list=PLs4hTtftqnlCrU1pnbXQhSKA_KAVWTA_f

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgEN1t4jPRE&index=6&list=PLs4hTtftqnlCrU1pnbXQhSKA_KAVWTA_f

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWUM6oeEn08&index=7&list=PLs4hTtftqnlCrU1pnbXQhSKA_KAVWTA_f

Edited by baileythedog
  • Love 2

A new article... http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/entertainment/x-files-david-duchovny-talks-success-and-the-return-of-mulder-and-scully

The relationship between Mulder and Scully was also an early prototype in the phenomenon now known as "shipping", whereby fans imagine or encourage a romantic relationship between two characters or celebrities.

Duchovny hints that the new series may give many viewers what they want in this regard, even though it will begin by disclosing that they did get together at one point but broke up.

He says: "It seems important to certain fans that Mulder and Scully be together romantically, but stasis and a good relationship are not exciting dramatically because you want your show to move.

"So I think the fans would be more pleased knowing that if you start broken up, you're probably trending towards getting back together rather than the other way round."

Seriously? So resorting to an old trope AGAIN... is a smart thing? /facepalm

Ignoring most of the thread because I'm mostly staying away from spoilers, or anything that would give away too much of what we are about to see in TWO DAYS!!

But I saw that Gillian was initially offered half the salary that David was for the revival. The hell? In this day and age of the outcry over equal pay and TPTB go an pull a crap stunt like that? So glad she held out for equal. They should have paid her double because heaven knows I'd watch without Mulder, but I won't without Scully. She makes him look good.

I'm so excited I'm bouncing in my seat. And I may not even be able to watch until Tuesday.

• Love 2

Ignoring most of the thread because I'm mostly staying away from spoilers, or anything that would give away too much of what we are about to see in TWO DAYS!!

But I saw that Gillian was initially offered half the salary that David was for the revival. The hell? In this day and age of the outcry over equal pay and TPTB go an pull a crap stunt like that? So glad she held out for equal. They should have paid her double because heaven knows I'd watch without Mulder, but I won't without Scully. She makes him look good.

I'm so excited I'm bouncing in my seat. And I may not even be able to watch until Tuesday.

I'm just angry at Fox for doing that. David, nah. As for paying her double... no. Equal I could see, since they both make M & S come to life.

Another article...

Source: tvinsider.com

Another one...

Source: theguardian.com

“I wouldn’t have guessed that somebody would be paying us old folks to be portraying these characters to our deathbeds. But if that’s what the fans want and they’re not put off by our walking sticks, then fantastic. Everybody wins.”

XD

Well Perry Mason did that first ;). And did it well and with class.

The reviewers at Hitfix and Slate, despite expressing their misgivings with the first episode, state that the third episode (written by Darin Morgan) is worth sticking around for. Can't wait. Darin Morgan was my favourite of the X-Files writers, and his episodes were always my favourite, with the perfect blend of eccentricity, humour, and melancholy. His Millennium episodes were also brilliant, including the funniest Scientology parody in media I've ever seen ("In 1979, Onan Goopta molted his earthly encumbrance to pursue his Selfisophical research in another dimension. That means, he died of prostate cancer.") This is going to be awesome.

The reviewers at Hitfix and Slate, despite expressing their misgivings with the first episode, state that the third episode (written by Darin Morgan) is worth sticking around for.

Boy howdy.  The studio knew what it was doing, giving us the third episode right after the first episode at Friday night's screening in L.A. -- quite the palate cleanser.  Definitely stick around!

Ratings for second night still impressive as hell....no giving credit to lead-ins or football games this time.

I feared a much bigger drop and ratings in the low 2s, after the "polarizing" conspiracy episode.

Mulder and Scully lovers, we are not alone!

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 3

I have to admit, I am surprised (and very very pleased) about the high ratings.

Me too. I admit after the dismal second movie, I didn't think there was much of a market but I was wrong. I think the ratings may bottom out at 9.0 million but that's more than I expected. As noted in other post, I wouldn't be surprised if Fox is trying to lure DD & GA back for another mini-series. 

• Love 1

I wonder what the ratings will look like when they add in the DVR and streaming numbers.  Even without that, those seem like excellent numbers. Hooray for nostalgia. 

I wouldn't mind 6 new episodes every year or even every couple years.  Here's hoping.

• Love 1

The paranormal never goes out style as long as there are good stories.

Morgan, Morgan, and Wong, and of course Vince Gilligan set the bar for a lot of today's shows. CC, although vilified and rightfully so, sometimes for the mytharc mess, was still a trailblazer for the mess that became other shows.

• Love 1

More than half those "famous" people are unknown to me.  I wish they'd have put names on the photos.  Oddly, Donal Logue was one I was always aware of.  Him and Tony Shalhoub.

The names are there - look on the right side of the image, in the white column, below the title. There is a small paragraph for each one. It's hard to first see, because it's mixed in with some advertising, but each one is named.

Most of the people in the list, I've seen before! (well, technically I have on original airing of the X-Files, but on rewatch I was like, OMG, that's <Actor/Actress>!)

Of those 30 "surprising" stars, excluding season 9 (which I've never seen), only one was a surprise to me. I didn't know Michael Bublé was ever on the show (nor would I recognize him).