Type keyword(s) to search

The X-Files in the Media

4 hours ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

It's his show. It has been since 1993, and it's made a lot of people a lot of money.  So whether we like Carter's writing or not, I doubt very much that "someone with influence" is going to tell him anything about his writing.  (FWIW, I think his writing can be hit or miss. To me, Babylon was a huge miss, and MSI and II were whatever, but he also wrote some great episodes of the series, for which I have a better appreciation after doing the rewatch).   My point is, I think that if people think that there is going to be some great effort on Fox's part to limit Carter's writing of episodes, they should be prepared to be disappointed.  He may write all of them, none of them, or some of them, but that's likely going to be his decision, not because there's been some pressure from Fox or great outcry from social media. He's been ignoring all of that for 24 years, why would you expect him to start now?

I expect him to start now because it is obvious that his writing has not kept up with the time, and other people could help him with that. Not saying he should remove himself entirely, but he should be open to more criticism and input from other people. He wrote some great episodes in the '90s, and obviously he gets immense credit for creating the show, but for the last decade, everything he's written has been trashed by viewers and critics. 

That being said, I'll still watch it and get whatever enjoyment I get that has kept me coming back after hating seasons 8&9, IWTB, and most of season 10. The characters are great and I'll always love to watch them. I've watched seasons 1-7 so many times I pretty much have every episode memorized. Even the bad ones.

• Love 1

I suppose what would really suck--and possibly delay XF production--is if the WGA can't work out a deal this week and the writers go on strike again. (That, of course, presumes that all episodes are not written yet. Perhaps that is incorrect and TXF, magically, gets to take advantage of a writers' strike TWICE; once in 2007 and again in 2017.) 

http://deadline.com/2017/04/writers-guild-strike-authorization-vote-approved-wga-hollywood-1202076382/

X-Files in the media, albeit not in the best light possible. Commentary how, in 2017, there can not be a single female writer hired in the writers' room.

The truth is out there, and it’s a bit imbalanced.

As “X-Files” fans gear up for the show’s 11th season, which follows a reboot of the 1990s series in 2016, IndieWire reports that creator Chris Carter has (at least as of now) enlisted only male writers. The season is scheduled for production this summer and will likely air in early 2018.

All of the announced writers, including Carter, are “X-Files” alumni. Darin Morgan, Glen Morgan and James Wong each wrote an episode last season, according to TV Line, and newcomers Brad Follmer, Gabe Rotter and Benjamin Van Allen have all been assistants.

It’s an industry tradition for television writers to rise through the ranks in this manner, so Carter’s choices were to be expected. But in 2017, it’s worth asking: How is there a major network drama that’s so dominated by male voices?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/06/28/the-x-files-writers-room-reportedly-has-hired-only-men-how-does-this-still-happen/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.376a50880697#comments

• Love 1

If the online fandom is an accurate representation, women make up the majority of fans who have continued to love the show through its quality decline and lengthy hiatus. The best fanfic writers are women and they actually write compelling stories that explore the mythology and the characters. I think CC has this idea that the female fans of this show only care about MSR and they don't understand the genius of the mythology. Obviously that's false, but I think CC is so disconnected from the fandom that he has never even tried to understand what makes women (and people in general) love this show so much. CC also seems like the type of guy who doesn't really watch TV, so he doesn't fully understand what audiences expect nowadays. It would have been better to hire new writers (female or male) who have some good writing credits to their name who were fans of the show back in the day. Judging by Kumail's old podcast, there's quite a few Hollywood writers/creators that loved the show when they were teenagers. They would have a better chance at writing something that can match the quality of the best network shows while staying true to the characters. Bringing back old writers and assistants is just going to give us more of what we've been getting, which no one wants.

But, what are ya gonna do? I've accepted that I will never stop watching this show no matter how bad it gets. I can only hope that they exceed my expectations. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, M.F. Luder said:

If the online fandom is an accurate representation, women make up the majority of fans who have continued to love the show through its quality decline and lengthy hiatus. The best fanfic writers are women and they actually write compelling stories that explore the mythology and the characters. I think CC has this idea that the female fans of this show only care about MSR and they don't understand the genius of the mythology. Obviously that's false, but I think CC is so disconnected from the fandom that he has never even tried to understand what makes women (and people in general) love this show so much. CC also seems like the type of guy who doesn't really watch TV, so he doesn't fully understand what audiences expect nowadays. It would have been better to hire new writers (female or male) who have some good writing credits to their name who were fans of the show back in the day. Judging by Kumail's old podcast, there's quite a few Hollywood writers/creators that loved the show when they were teenagers. They would have a better chance at writing something that can match the quality of the best network shows while staying true to the characters. Bringing back old writers and assistants is just going to give us more of what we've been getting, which no one wants.

But, what are ya gonna do? I've accepted that I will never stop watching this show no matter how bad it gets. I can only hope that they exceed my expectations. 

Yeah, I hear you. I'm frankly puzzled by this. At first I was cheered by the fact that there were new writers at all. (On top of Morgans & Wong who I am very glad to see return since I think their outings were solid in S10.)  But looking up the newbies and, beyond having been writers' assistants back in the day, (which I have no quarrel with--everyone starts somewhere), none of them have any substantial writing credits SINCE then.  And the only thing that Brad Follmer has is a terrible S9 character named after him. 

So....I dunno. I agree that some fresh blood was needed to mix it up but I'm truly annoyed that it isn't that "fresh" at all. And there are PLENTY of excellent women writers for TV out there. Grab any of the spectacular women that were writing for "House" or "Mad Men" to name a few from shows that I truly adored and that featured complex plotting and/or intricate character detail. 

• Love 2

I care less about fresh blood and more about the lack of women in the writers' room. I suppose some of that could be mitigated by having a few women directors but one of the things I truly did want for the new season was more women's voices on the show. 

• Love 2

That article has been updated to say CC has added two women "to the writing staff" as well. 

Hopefully not as writers' assistants to be harassed, but as actual writers.

• Love 1

From the article expanding on the women added to the writing staff, which states they'll actually write episodes:

(Per the show's studio 20th Century Fox Television, there are actually three female writers: "Karen Nielson will write one episode and Kristen Cloke and Shannon Hamblin will be writing another episode based on a story by Glen Morgan.")

I didn't know Kristen Cloke and Glen Morgan were still married (at least, according to IMDb they are); I hope she's a better writer than she was an actor in The Field Where I Died.  I looked up her writing credits, and she hasn't written anything other than an episode of some show Glen did that ran only eight episodes.

The only Shannon Hamblin I find is a producer, and I can't find a Karen Nielson at all on IMDb.  I'll dig around some more tomorrow.

Edited by Bastet

I don't think that's a new photo - that looks like some of the photos that came out while they were promoting the reboot.

I am glad that they included women writers and directors, and I am glad Gillian Anderson spoke up for it. I don't really have that many issues with them bringing in Kristen Cloke as a writer - the show always seemed to embrace friends and family as creative voices (heck, that's how Darin Morgan ended up being a writer for the show).  Might as well have a woman benefit from that nepotism. 

I saw that Robert Patrick said that he would be interested in returning if asked.  I am down for it. I'd love another Mulder/Doggett episode.

• Love 1

DD and RP did have good chemistry, I loved the episodes with both of them. I'd also love to see Scully's face when she sees Doggett. They developed a really good friendship between those two characters. 

I'm glad to hear that we'll not be having too many heavy mythology episodes. However, and I know this a UO, I'm fine with the thread of William running through the season. He's an important part of the story. 

• Love 1

I'm just wary of them adding writers that seem to have no or very little experience. At least according to IMDB. This is Fox after all. They still had no qualms offering Gillian Anderson a lot less money than Duchovny for the reboot. So, this seems a bit like window dressing to me.

I don't really care what they do, as long as the writing is good. I just have very little optimism at the moment. Season 10 was mostly boring with a few highlights for me, so I hope they are doing something new and fresh. This whole insistence on mytharc/MOTW format seems odd to me. Why they can't come up with and sustain a serialized story throughout is worrying me.

This time, I won't be buying it without checking reviews first, I'm rather sorry to say.

On 8/9/2017 at 3:09 PM, festivus said:

DD and RP did have good chemistry, I loved the episodes with both of them. I'd also love to see Scully's face when she sees Doggett. They developed a really good friendship between those two characters. 

I'm glad to hear that we'll not be having too many heavy mythology episodes. However, and I know this a UO, I'm fine with the thread of William running through the season. He's an important part of the story. 

I am fine with William being a focus, too, though I would like some resolution.  I don't really understand how people could expect him not to be a focus - he's important to Mulder and Scully.  One thing that the show has always done is say, "if it's important to Mulder and Scully, then it should be important to you, the viewer."

Enjoyable interview with DD with Seth Meyers last night. Not really spoiler-y of the season except two things: 1.) DD was glad there were no scenes in Skinner's office so there isn't an "Orange Julius" presidential photo in the background.  (I remember someone on IMDB boards losing their mind that there wasn't equal representation of presidents shown.) . 2.) One of his songs--but not his recording of it--will be used in this coming episode.

• Love 1

I really loved Ghouli, as I wrote in the official episode 5 thread. However, the ratings significantly dropped after Forehead Sweat, which is not surprising IMO:

Ep 1 Early Nationals: 1.4 demo with 5.19 million viewers
Ep 2 Early Nationals: 1.0 demo with 3.89 million viewers
Ep 3 Early Nationals: 1.1 demo with 3.94 million viewers
Ep 4 Early Nationals: 1.0 demo with 3.86 million viewers
Ep 5 Early Nationals: 0.9 demo with 3.55 million viewers

‘X-Files’ Sinks to New Low

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/9-1-1-fox-ratings-x-files-1202684065/amp/

The news was not so rosy for “The X-Files,” which hit a new series low on Fox at 8 where it drew a 0.9 and 3.6 million viewers, pending updates. The latter show is now halfway through it second season since it was revived on Fox in 2016 and is currently averaging less than half of the audience the first season drew in Live+Same Day

• Love 1

Should ratings stuff go in the media thread?  With that said. Wow. Look at the drop after episode 1! People were piiiissssseeed and it was awful and CC you deserve that. The only thing that kept me after that mess is I'm a super fan and dammit if Mulder and Scully are there so am I.   Not surprised after forehead sweat either. I DO NOT get the universal love for that episode. I thought it was boring and weird and not in a good way. 

Are there any substantial spoilers out there or does no one really care enough to dig anymore? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MissL said:

Should ratings stuff go in the media thread?  With that said. Wow. Look at the drop after episode 1! People were piiiissssseeed and it was awful and CC you deserve that. The only thing that kept me after that mess is I'm a super fan and dammit if Mulder and Scully are there so am I.   Not surprised after forehead sweat either. I DO NOT get the universal love for that episode. I thought it was boring and weird and not in a good way. 

Are there any substantial spoilers out there or does no one really care enough to dig anymore? 

Love for Forehead Sweat is not universal. Yes it's the majority, but you'll still find plenty of people including myself who find it one of the worst episodes of the entire series. It's just the "written by Darin Morgan" thing which makes people go WOWWWW it's so brilliant. Not all fans are like that of course, but I do know people who knew nothing about it but said they know they're gonna love it just because it's Darin Morgan. Critics function similarly. Hate for what CC has done in the revival plus love for Darin Morgan's unique (and brilliant) episodes from the original series results in many of them praising it just because it's Darin. Think of it as a popular brand that some people will love no matter what.

That said, S11 isn't to blame for the ratings. Only S10 is to blame. Clearly, people kept watching S10 hoping things would be turned around by MS2. After the disaster that was MS2, many fans left, but those with some remaining hope chose to give MS3 a chance. The rest is self explanatory.

And after a completely unnecessary Skinner-centric episode followed by a two week break, there's a chance the ratings could drop further down.

10 hours ago, EUROTRASH said:

Love for Forehead Sweat is not universal. Yes it's the majority, but you'll still find plenty of people including myself who find it one of the worst episodes of the entire series. It's just the "written by Darin Morgan" thing which makes people go WOWWWW it's so brilliant. Not all fans are like that of course, but I do know people who knew nothing about it but said they know they're gonna love it just because it's Darin Morgan. Critics function similarly. Hate for what CC has done in the revival plus love for Darin Morgan's unique (and brilliant) episodes from the original series results in many of them praising it just because it's Darin. Think of it as a popular brand that some people will love no matter what.

That said, S11 isn't to blame for the ratings. Only S10 is to blame. Clearly, people kept watching S10 hoping things would be turned around by MS2. After the disaster that was MS2, many fans left, but those with some remaining hope chose to give MS3 a chance. The rest is self explanatory.

And after a completely unnecessary Skinner-centric episode followed by a two week break, there's a chance the ratings could drop further down.

Well I'm glad to hear it. Maybe the people who loved it are just more vocal and after reading reviews about the episode that actually stated "this is the xfiles finale for me"  because they loved it so much..... just made me utterly confused.

I agree. Season 10 and the first ep of 11 nearly did me in as a fan. As it stands it has definitely negatively impacted my enjoyment even when the ep is ok.

As for the Skinner ep. I think it's a case of CC and company misreading the fans AGAIN. People said they wanted more Skinner not necessarily a whole freaking episode about him or his past. That's not what I'm here for. When you only have 10 episodes they should make them count.  Really wish Vince Gillian could have found a way to stay involved. So curious what he would have done.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, MissL said:

Well I'm glad to hear it. Maybe the people who loved it are just more vocal and after reading reviews about the episode that actually stated "this is the xfiles finale for me"  because they loved it so much..... just made me utterly confused.

I agree. Season 10 and the first ep of 11 nearly did me in as a fan. As it stands it has definitely negatively impacted my enjoyment even when the ep is ok.

As for the Skinner ep. I think it's a case of CC and company misreading the fans AGAIN. People said they wanted more Skinner not necessarily a whole freaking episode about him or his past. That's not what I'm here for. When you only have 10 episodes they should make them count.  Really wish Vince Gillian could have found a way to stay involved. So curious what he would have done.

I agree with you.

Frank Spotnitz + Vince Gilligan + James Wong + Glen Morgan + Chris Carter having very limited involvement = perfect X-Files revival

I wouldn't mind Darin Morgan if it were the Darin from the original series, but the revival's Darin just doesn't appeal to me.

On 02. 02. 2018. at 4:15 AM, EUROTRASH said:

Oh just stop! Episode has universal apeal. So, we have critics and fans. Every critics praise this episode. On rotten average score for episode is 9.3/10 and on imdb has highest rating so far this season. Yes, ofcourse that some will not love but this episode has universal love by fans and by critics. And your argument with Darin Morgan is disrespectful. By this logic, i can say that you love Jose Chung or Humbug because it's just the "wrriten by Darin Morgan" and this is your logic. And one of the worst in the series. Sorry but you are not objective. You do not love this episode and and now you are saying something that is not true. Fact is that this episode is praised by fans and critics and you can not do anything. What you are doing is insult and its not ok. Really disrespectful.

30 minutes ago, Marocoo said:

Oh just stop! Episode has universal apeal. So, we have critics and fans. Every critics praise this episode. On rotten average score for episode is 9.3/10 and on imdb has highest rating so far this season. Yes, ofcourse that some will not love but this episode has universal love by fans and by critics. And your argument with Darin Morgan is disrespectful. By this logic, i can say that you love Jose Chung or Humbug because it's just the "wrriten by Darin Morgan" and this is your logic. And one of the worst in the series. Sorry but you are not objective. You do not love this episode and and now you are saying something that is not true. Fact is that this episode is praised by fans and critics and you can not do anything. What you are doing is insult and its not ok. Really disrespectful.

No, not everyone loves the episode. The majority does, but not everyone. You will find fans who call it one of the worst episodes of the entire series. It's a different opinion, so what? The fandom exists outside of this forum you know. And no, not every critic loves it either. See here: http://www.tracking-board.com/the-x-files-review-the-lost-art-of-forehead-sweat/

What you're saying about IMDb is false as well. Currently "Ghouli" rates higher, although that may change. There was also a significant ratings drop after "Forehead Sweat".

I can also give you plenty of tweets from people who despised it.

Look, bias plays a huge role. Dislike for what CC has done with the revival plus love for Darin's original XF episodes, and what you get as a result is many people praising literally anything by Darin Morgan. He could make an episode with a blank screen for 42 minutes and some people would call it brilliant IMO. There are people including myself who enjoyed My Struggle III more than Forehead Sweat. So what? You're a fan of the series, and I'm a fan of the series. Different tastes, and different influences.

If you feel "disrespected" by my opinion then feel free to use the forum's ignore feature.

• Love 1

Wow. That was just spot on. I refuse to watch this last episode where he has done this to Scully, just reading it has me ragey. Whether you care about William or not, there is just no way that Scully would behave this way. A new child does not just replace another. DIAF CC.

• Love 1
(edited)

I love that woman.

Shut up Ausiello. They started with offering her half of Duckovny's salary in season 10 and from everything I read, the writing made a mockery of the character of Scully in season 11.

Even if the ratings weren't that abysmal, she did Chris Carter and Fox a favor by showing up.

It's better not to destroy this iconic character even more. They didn't manage to bring these characters and the show into the 21st century, so I'm glad it's not coming back.

This whole thing was mostly a waste of time. Like pretty much most of these so-called revivals. I don't think I will be watching season 11 at all.

Why should she spend her time on a mediocre show when she can do quality work?

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, festivus said:

Whoa. You go girl.

Yep! It's not right to put all the blame on her for the show not coming back. The ratings were bad. As we've already discussed season 10 imo squandered and then dulled the good will and excitement of the show coming back and MSIII killed it dead.  Many people didn't stick around to see the others and I'm not sure if I didnt like  some of them just because they weren't as bad as any of the struggles. I'm a die hard fan from back in the day and I NEVER thought I'd be relieved that the show isn't returning. But I am. I mean I actually said "thank god" when I heard the news. Good on Gillian yes and shame on you Fox for not taking the reins on this and putting some oversight on CC after the mess that was season 10. Guess you've got money to burn. 

And today David (or should I say the person who runs David's twitter account) is just tweeting away about his book and music. Don't know why that cracks me up except the online fandom is losing their shit over Gillian's tweet and it feels like Davids over whistling in the corner.  

Edited by MissL
  • Love 5