Type keyword(s) to search

The X-Files in the Media

On 10/9/2016 at 0:29 PM, eleanorofaquitaine said:

Not sure where you're getting 8?  He said a "small expansion," which to me could be anywhere from 8 to 10 episodes.   Probably not 12, though. 

I don't care about CC not "ending" the show - we're 50 years into shows like Star Trek and Doctor Who.  At some point, some shows tap into something. I would no more expect an "end" to The X-Files than I do other genre franchises. I'm just happy to have these characters back.

I'm just guessing on that one tbh. I figured 10 would be a bit bigger than a small expansion.

Fair point. But I'm just tired of his games. That's why I'd rather see an ending of sorts. At least in regards to M & S. Let them go off together. Then if there's any continuation, do it with new characters.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Baby Button Eyes said:

Well, that's Gillian.  Fox needs to actually stop pansy-ing around the speculation and either say they are done with X-Files or announce its a go.  Seems like so far, they haven't done much to get it really started. 

They can't announce it is a go if they can't line up schedules.  In other words, this isn't all on Fox, it is also on making sure that the schedules of DD, GA, and CC all coincide.  But I've been following this a little bit in the last week and there seems to be some snag they've hit.

ETA: It feels to me like Fox isn't the problem here.  Dana Walden has been consistently quoted as wanting more episodes.  My guess is that it may be on the actors' side (in terms of schedules).

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine
  • Love 1

Gillian said she wanted to do season ten because IWTB didn't give them closure, and then Chris wrote a cliffhanger.  The studio tried to screw her out of equal pay yet again, so they'll probably try it again this time, too.  Limiting it to six episodes was a huge part of getting both Gillian and David to agree to season ten, and this time the studio is pushing for more.

I would not be remotely surprised if either one of them, especially Gillian, took the stance that if another short-run series would happen to fit perfectly into their schedules, they'll do it, but otherwise, no - they're not inconveniencing themselves in the slightest to make it work.  From IWTB on I think loyalty has been a factor in them signing on.  They're getting plenty of work elsewhere, these roles aren't particularly fulfilling creatively anymore, etc.  I don't think they're angry, bitter, or anything like that - indeed, they seem to really enjoy getting the old gang back together when it works out - but I do think they're content to leave it behind and thus the heavy lifting and compromises to make this thing come together would have to come from FOX to make it happen.

5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Gillian said she wanted to do season ten because IWTB didn't give them closure, and then Chris wrote a cliffhanger.  The studio tried to screw her out of equal pay yet again, so they'll probably try it again this time, too.  Limiting it to six episodes was a huge part of getting both Gillian and David to agree to season ten, and this time the studio is pushing for more.

I would not be remotely surprised if either one of them, especially Gillian, took the stance that if another short-run series would happen to fit perfectly into their schedules, they'll do it, but otherwise, no - they're not inconveniencing themselves in the slightest to make it work.  From IWTB on I think loyalty has been a factor in them signing on.  They're getting plenty of work elsewhere, these roles aren't particularly fulfilling creatively anymore, etc.  I don't think they're angry, bitter, or anything like that - indeed, they seem to really enjoy getting the old gang back together when it works out - but I do think they're content to leave it behind and thus the heavy lifting and compromises to make this thing come together would have to come from FOX to make it happen.

I agree with this.  I suspect GA knows what she's doing when she is quoted in Reuters that it is done, because she knows it will get people upset, and then people will agitate for Fox to give them whatever it is they are asking for. So either this is about pay (which I have no problem believing) or schedule (I tend to think that they may have already squared that away, just because everyone seemed to be saying the same thing about 6 episodes being too little. It felt like maybe they had already finished that part of the negotiation).  I think that both GA and DD know that unlike the first go-around, they are in the driver's seat, so they can play a little hardball. Which I don't begrudge them - they've earned it.  My only point above is that it isn't Fox that is probably preventing a final deal, it's either GA or DD  (or perhaps CC, but I don't think so).  Though, I suppose, you could say that Fox is indirectly preventing it if they aren't giving them whatever it is they want.

My only point above is that it isn't Fox that is probably preventing a final deal, it's either GA or DD  (or perhaps CC, but I don't think so).  Though, I suppose, you could say that Fox is indirectly preventing it if they aren't giving them whatever it is they want.

Yeah, that's what I'm speculating -- Fox and CC want this more than GA and DD do, so where there are points of contention in the negotiations, it's the production side that's going to have to give in or this is not going to happen, because the actors (especially GA, I suspect) are fine with walking away if it doesn't come together just the way they want it. 

This isn't charity work they're doing, obviously, as they get paid well for it (well, not so well for IWTB; while still not charity, I do think it was nice of them to take peanuts for up-front pay and for GA to drop out of another project and I think they did that largely for CC), but if I'm generally correct about how things are playing out, I am fully supportive of the actors putting the ball squarely in the Fox court by saying, "If this can be made the most convenient thing in the world for us to do, and if our pay reflects the advertising dollars you can bring in for this based on season 10 ratings (and is equal down to the penny), we're in.  If not, we're not doing it.  You decide." 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, that's what I'm speculating -- Fox and CC want this more than GA and DD do, so where there are points of contention in the negotiations, it's the production side that's going to have to give in or this is not going to happen, because the actors (especially GA, I suspect) are fine with walking away if it doesn't come together just the way they want it. 

This isn't charity work they're doing, obviously, as they get paid well for it (well, not so well for IWTB; while still not charity, I do think it was nice of them to take peanuts for up-front pay and for GA to drop out of another project and I think they did that largely for CC), but if I'm generally correct about how things are playing out, I am fully supportive of the actors putting the ball squarely in the Fox court by saying, "If this can be made the most convenient thing in the world for us to do, and if our pay reflects the advertising dollars you can bring in for this based on season 10 ratings (and is equal down to the penny), we're in.  If not, we're not doing it.  You decide." 

Yep. I don't blame them there for trying to negotiate and play hard ball. 

My only issue was with how CC, Fox and some of 1013 treated fans. That was and still is a huge turn off.

On 1/12/2017 at 9:59 AM, eleanorofaquitaine said:

This looks positive.  They must be getting close to resolving whatever issues they had.

I'm doubting that. There's been way too much click bait floating around about the show as of late. Only time I'll believe any news is when it comes from 1013, Fox or the actors themselves.

Just found a new interview that David did very recently.

Source: cms.megaphone.fm

There's a bit of XF talk in it.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
On 1/25/2017 at 3:07 PM, AntiBeeSpray said:

I'm doubting that. There's been way too much click bait floating around about the show as of late. Only time I'll believe any news is when it comes from 1013, Fox or the actors themselves.

Just found a new interview that David did very recently.

Source: cms.megaphone.fm

There's a bit of XF talk in it.

The article was quoting Fox President David Madden, so it wasn't really click bait.  But obviously, no announcement yet.

• Love 1
On 1/26/2017 at 3:31 PM, eleanorofaquitaine said:

The article was quoting Fox President David Madden, so it wasn't really click bait.  But obviously, no announcement yet.

Yea but a lot of the click bait quote from those at Fox as well. So I generally take them with a grain of salt.

A new interview! A bit of XF discussion in it too.

New interview with David where he implies that more episodes are on the way:

After 14 years away from TV, the popular sci-fi series The X-Files returned to FOX in 2016 for a 6 episode season. While fans were excited for their first taste of Mulder and Scully in over a decade, one burning question lingered – will the show continue for even more The X-Files episodes?

“If I were a betting man, I would say yes.”

Those are the words of series star David Duchovny during an interview this morning on Kevin Klein Live. The actor further clarified by saying fans should expect episodes “sooner rather than later”.

Just as a heads up, "The X-Files" (Along with Angel, Buffy, Firefly) is leaving Netflix on April 1st. 

That sucks. Netflix had the beautiful HD version of the show. I know that it is also on Amazon Prime, but not sure if they are HD there?

Edited by baileythedog
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, baileythedog said:

Just as a heads up, "The X-Files" (Along with Angel, Buffy, Firefly) is leaving Netflix on April 1st.

Well crap.  My son's been watching XF on his tablet.

I have the series (well, seasons one through seven and then 10) on Blu-Ray, and I don't even have Netflix, but I'm still bummed because my parents have Netflix and I have a list set up for when I'm staying at their house to kitty sit -- it was nice to know that, should the burning need to watch Bad Blood come upon me (as it does), I'd be able to watch, despite the discs being at home.  Alas, it has been on there for quite a while, so I'm not surprised.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Suddenly grateful I spent the money so many years ago collecting all the seasons on DVD. Two of my teenagers are getting into the snow now and I'll still be able to cherry pick the best ones even after it leaves Netflix. 

(edited)

I just got off the phone with Netflix.   FOX pulled all their programming from Netflix as part of a legal dispute.   I was halfway through House M.D. and I'm pissed.

Netflix gave no notification to customers, nor have they sent out any explanations for why the most popular programs on the service -- House, X-Files, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, 24, etc. -- have suddenly vanished after years of availability.  Last week I read that House was being cut on April 1st, so I called Netflix on the 27th and said WTF?   They reassured me that House wasn't going anywhere, that it must be a mistake.   Today, they say "sorry about that, nobody told the customer service team that the shows were being cut."   I said, how's that possible?   I'm reading about it in news online but your own customer service reps are uninformed?

What really ticks me off is that this significant loss of popular content has diluted the quality and value of the Netflix product, yet Netflix is charging the same price and not informing customers of the change.   It's like at the supermarket when you notice that the regular box of product X has suddenly gotten smaller, but the price is the same.   I asked for a reduction in my membership fee to compensate for the reduced programming menu but of course they laughed in my face.

They shouldn't laugh for long.  Right now, Hulu and Amazon both have more diverse and interesting selections than Netflix has ever had, and they keep getting better.  Meanwhile Netflix is losing popular content and churning out lackluster originals like Iron Fist. 

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, millennium said:

I just got off the phone with Netflix.   FOX pulled all their programming from Netflix as part of a legal dispute.   I was halfway through House M.D. and I'm pissed.

Netflix gave no notification to customers, nor have they sent out any explanations for why the most popular programs on the service -- House, X-Files, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, 24, etc. -- have suddenly vanished after years of availability.  Last week I read that House was being cut on April 1st, so I called Netflix on the 27th and said WTF?   They reassured me that House wasn't going anywhere, that it must be a mistake.   Today, they say "sorry about that, nobody told the customer service team that the shows were being cut."   I said, how's that possible?   I'm reading about it in news online but your own customer service reps are uninformed?

Thank you for sharing this.

Here is an article that might be what the legal dispute is all about

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/fox-says-netflix-dispute-may-disrupt-business-operations-at-highest-levels-978714

• Love 1

So it's not quite the revival we were thinking of, but it looks like the creative team is going to take on the Joe Harris X-Files stories in audiobook format.

Titled X-Files: Cold Cases, the audiobook will explore events between the 2008 movie I Want to Believe and the 2016 revival series (which was pretty uneven, save for that great third episode). A teaser released by Audible finds the franchise’s creative team eager to get back into the world yet again, promising “the exact same thing” for die-hard fans and teasing the involvement of other favorites, including supporting stars Dean Haglund and Mitch Pileggi. And if that’s not enough anticipation for you, Audible has also released an excerpt of Cold Cases, to give you an idea of what a sound-only X-Files experience will be like. It’s a good one, too, with a palpable sense of danger and suspense and some juicy details of what exactly the production will explore.

So I'm interested that it covers the years between 2008 and last years' revival. And I guess now that Podcasts are the rage, an audiobook is next best thing?  Still, I hope this is a stopgap project while Fox figures out if they're able to do another event series. 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/04/11/audible_announces_a_new_x_files_audiobook_starring_david_duchovny_and_gillian.html

• Love 1

So I'm interested that it covers the years between 2008 and last years' revival. And I guess now that Podcasts are the rage, an audiobook is next best thing?  Still, I hope this is a stopgap project while Fox figures out if they're able to do another event series. 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/04/11/audible_announces_a_new_x_files_audiobook_starring_david_duchovny_and_gillian.html

Ooh, this will be perfect for my new driving commute.

Oh hellz yeah! Fox ordered 10 more episodes of The X-Files!

The truth is still out there…

Fox has ordered a second installment of The X-Files event series, the network announced Thursday.

The new 10-episode installment will feature David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson reprising their roles as FBI Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully, respectively, while creator Chris Carter will be back as an executive producer.

“Iconic characters, rich storytelling, bold creators – these are the hallmarks of great TV shows,” said David Madden, president of Fox. “And they are some of the reasons why The X-Files has had such a profound impact on millions of fans worldwide. Chris’ creativity, along with the brilliant work of David and Gillian, continue to propel this pop culture phenomenon, and we can’t wait to see what fresh mysteries Mulder and Scully uncover in this next chapter of The X-Files.”

Production is this summer, going to hit 2017-2018 season.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/04/20/x-files-fox-season-11/

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Let's hope Darin Morgan writes one of those ten. 

(And that Chris Carter writes zero, but I know that wish won't come true.)

I don't need CC to write zero, exactly, but I do hope for more writers than we saw in S10.  I really, really liked "Founder's Mutation" and thought "Home Again" would have been far better if it weren't so jammed with disparate storylines. 

I'd be all for having a new writer that isn't currently associated with TXF join in as well. 

(Fortunately, I also doubt that CC can write 10 eps by himself, even if he were that vain-glorious.)

Edited by baileythedog

I loved Home Again, and thought Founder's Mutation was decent.  What would be really good is if Frank Spotnitz could be brought back to help temper Carter's impulses.  Of course, I would love Vince Gilligan, but I am not sure if Better Off Saul makes that too difficult.

All of that being said - I would also like to see a few scripts written by women.

• Love 5

Hells yeah! There had better not be a cliffhanger again cause think this one probably will be the end.  This dumb box is putting my I in italics and I can't figure out why, so ignore that please!

Woot! I can't wait. Even the worst episodes are worth watching the two of them together. 

Usually. Let's hope there's no mention of those two new greenie agents. Couldn't stand either one of them. Hope Skinner is back as well. 

That first link is one heavily photoshopped pic of DD. 

Edited by DaynaPhile
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

I loved Home Again, and thought Founder's Mutation was decent.  What would be really good is if Frank Spotnitz could be brought back to help temper Carter's impulses.  Of course, I would love Vince Gilligan, but I am not sure if Better Off Saul makes that too difficult.

All of that being said - I would also like to see a few scripts written by women.

Yes to Spotnitz and yes to women writers. It's long past time. And frankly, I'd like to see another DD script if he's got one in him. I really like how he writes Mulder and Scully and I suspect he's got about the most intellectually invested in this right about now. 

The last series Spotnitz was tied up with "Man in the High Castle"--now, not so much. It looks like he's got some EP credits for two series in 2017, but hard to know his ultimate attachment to them. I hope he's free for XF work. I suspect VG is out. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, twitter asked what we wanted from the Xfiles and the answers have basically been MSR and no CC.  :)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Along with his brother Glen. I respect how he treated M & S. Same with James Wong.

Word. But I'd be ok with 3-4 eps by him and the rest by others.

So happy to hear this! DD and GA are cute when they start tweeting each other. I'm hoping for a Darin Morgan script too. I want some good creepy monsters of the week and finding out who William is or is meant to be with his powers. More Mulder and Scully interactions and the chemistry! 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Baby Button Eyes said:

So happy to hear this! DD and GA are cute when they start tweeting each other. I'm hoping for a Darin Morgan script too. I want some good creepy monsters of the week and finding out who William is or is meant to be with his powers. More Mulder and Scully interactions and the chemistry! 

Word. And no more estrangement baloney. That was beyond distracting.

• Love 2

The first revival was a heartbreaking piece of shit.

The critics, whether they liked the revival or not, were nearly unanimous in the opinion that if Fox were to approve another run Chris Carter should not be allowed to write any of the episodes.   

I still can't get the bad taste out of my mouth from the first revival.    I know some folks loved the were-lizard episode but I thought it was one of the worst episodes I ever saw.   Almost every single episode of that revival was the worst episode I ever saw.   That episode with Mulder dancing in the western bar?   I have never reached for the remote control so fast in my life. 

Even worse was what they did to Monica Reyes, a character I liked.   I know we all would have preferred Mulder-Scully episodes during King Duchovny's hiatus in the original series, but as substitutes I think the Doggett-Reyes episodes were still good in their own way.   To reduce Monica to CSM's whore was disgusting and obscenely unfair to the character.

The revival ruined my longstanding impression of the original series.   I can't look back at the old episodes now without thinking about the shitfest they're leading up to.    I suppose it's possible the new batch of episodes will be more like the X-Files I came to love, but I suspect they're just going to be a series of Duchovny vanity pieces, fan-service episodes, and ultimately a lousy pastiche of what made X-Files great.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, baileythedog said:

Yes to Spotnitz and yes to women writers. It's long past time. And frankly, I'd like to see another DD script if he's got one in him. I really like how he writes Mulder and Scully and I suspect he's got about the most intellectually invested in this right about now. 

The last series Spotnitz was tied up with "Man in the High Castle"--now, not so much. It looks like he's got some EP credits for two series in 2017, but hard to know his ultimate attachment to them. I hope he's free for XF work. I suspect VG is out. 

It seems likely to me that My Struggle III is going to be a Carter-written episode, so it would be nice if Spotnitz could help to take Carter's big ideas and turn them into some kind of a more coherent plot (though, as I've mentioned before, I actually liked My Struggle II way more than most people).

I am going to guess that there won't be a Darin Morgan script, mostly because everyone - including Morgan himself - has talked about how long it takes him to produce scripts.  Were-Monster was essentially already written for the Kolchak revival. Don't get me wrong, I would like one but I am not sure how likely it will be.

I wouldn't be opposed to another DD script (or even one from Gillian Anderson - I actually ended up liking all things more than I thought in my rewatch, even if it still has some big problems).  I read his book last year, and while I didn't love it (even as a Red Sox fan), there's no doubt that he can be witty. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, millennium said:

I know some folks loved the were-lizard episode but I thought it was one of the worst episodes I ever saw.   Almost every single episode of that revival was the worst episode I ever saw.

Yeah, I am not looking forward to more X-Files if it is anything like the last six episodes. The were-lizard episode was just silly with lots of illogical events. 
It feels as if people want to see Mulder and Scully so much that they don't care if the stories aren't well written.
Maybe it would be better to have Mulder and Scully just take long walks and reminisce about old times.. 

11 hours ago, millennium said:

I know some folks loved the were-lizard episode but I thought it was one of the worst episodes I ever saw.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I thought it was ridiculous.

I'm hopeful about S11, though, mostly because with it being ten episodes instead of just six, maybe they'll have time to tell a more cohesive story.

• Love 3

I'm worried that season 10's good ratings might make CC and the other writers think that people actually liked the season, thus encouraging them to serve up the same shit for season 11. I really, really hope someone with influence has the balls to tell CC that his writing stinks and he needs to give some other people a chance, or at least open up his scripts for peer review. CC is so up his own ass he really believes that he knows what's best for the show and the characters. At this point, all the Hollywood writers now who were young fans of the show back in the '90s would have a better chance at writing something that can actually be comparable in quality to when the show was at its peak.

• Love 3

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with ya there. I enjoyed season 10 for the most part but I know a lot of that is nostalgia. Most of it was fine but forgettable and it could have been a lot better. 

17 hours ago, millennium said:

The first revival was a heartbreaking piece of shit.

The critics, whether they liked the revival or not, were nearly unanimous in the opinion that if Fox were to approve another run Chris Carter should not be allowed to write any of the episodes.   

I still can't get the bad taste out of my mouth from the first revival.    I know some folks loved the were-lizard episode but I thought it was one of the worst episodes I ever saw.   Almost every single episode of that revival was the worst episode I ever saw.   That episode with Mulder dancing in the western bar?   I have never reached for the remote control so fast in my life. 

Even worse was what they did to Monica Reyes, a character I liked.   I know we all would have preferred Mulder-Scully episodes during King Duchovny's hiatus in the original series, but as substitutes I think the Doggett-Reyes episodes were still good in their own way.   To reduce Monica to CSM's whore was disgusting and obscenely unfair to the character.

The revival ruined my longstanding impression of the original series.   I can't look back at the old episodes now without thinking about the shitfest they're leading up to.    I suppose it's possible the new batch of episodes will be more like the X-Files I came to love, but I suspect they're just going to be a series of Duchovny vanity pieces, fan-service episodes, and ultimately a lousy pastiche of what made X-Files great.

Wow.  King Duchovny and Duchovny vanity pieces?   I agree that some of the last revival shows weren't great but whoa.   

6 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I thought it was ridiculous.

I'm hopeful about S11, though, mostly because with it being ten episodes instead of just six, maybe they'll have time to tell a more cohesive story.

Yes, agreed. 

I also feel like they went into the first six hoping to get picked up for more so not a lot was wrapped up.  Hoping they approach these as the last ten and make them count.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

Maybe it would be better to have Mulder and Scully just take long walks and reminisce about old times.. 

I'd watch the hell out of that. 

8 hours ago, M.F. Luder said:

I'm worried that season 10's good ratings might make CC and the other writers think that people actually liked the season, thus encouraging them to serve up the same shit for season 11. I really, really hope someone with influence has the balls to tell CC that his writing stinks and he needs to give some other people a chance, or at least open up his scripts for peer review. CC is so up his own ass he really believes that he knows what's best for the show and the characters. At this point, all the Hollywood writers now who were young fans of the show back in the '90s would have a better chance at writing something that can actually be comparable in quality to when the show was at its peak.

I know some fan fiction writers who could probably produce a better script and cohesive story than CC. 

• Love 6

I have hopes for the newest season -- providing they forget they ever introduced Agents Einstein and Miller in S10. They were absolutely the worst. 

20 hours ago, M.F. Luder said:

It's his show. It has been since 1993, and it's made a lot of people a lot of money.  So whether we like Carter's writing or not, I doubt very much that "someone with influence" is going to tell him anything about his writing.  (FWIW, I think his writing can be hit or miss. To me, Babylon was a huge miss, and MSI and II were whatever, but he also wrote some great episodes of the series, for which I have a better appreciation after doing the rewatch).   My point is, I think that if people think that there is going to be some great effort on Fox's part to limit Carter's writing of episodes, they should be prepared to be disappointed.  He may write all of them, none of them, or some of them, but that's likely going to be his decision, not because there's been some pressure from Fox or great outcry from social media. He's been ignoring all of that for 24 years, why would you expect him to start now?

ETA: I am also confused as to whether or not it was Duchovney or Carter who ostensibly ruined the revival?  I personally was happy to have these characters back, did not have the series ruined for me (in fact, it inspired my rewatch and to appreciate once again how much I loved the show), and am looking forward to these next ten episodes.  But there is always the choice not to watch for those who cannot stomach either DD or CC, I suppose.

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine
  • Love 2

I straight up hated Babylon and thought My Struggle I and II were pretty meh, but liked the Weremonster, Home Again and Founders Mutation.  I'm glad they're doing this, but only because they ended on a freaking cliffhanger.  They better not do that again though.  

• Love 2