Type keyword(s) to search

The X-Files in the Media

GA just finished a Twitter session with the X-Files and she's been tweeting every week for the show. so it's hard to imagine that she wouldn't consider coming back. Though I think she'll wait until DD's contract is settled before negotiating this time.:)

David on Ellen. Those questions were kinda easy for me.

Egads. I don't watch daytime TV or talkshows in general, so only see Ellen when a clip is posted. But holy crap, what a terrible show. How do people watch that dreck? Her interview with him was barely interesting and the game portion unwatchable.  

Thanks for going into the belly of the beast of stupid people for us, DD.  I guess. 

It’s Time For Chris Carter To Pass THE X-FILES To The Next Generation

The article's writer means in terms of new showrunners and after the finale I can't say I disagree.

This guy hits the nail on the head:

Carter has ideas, but he seems unable to bring them to fruition, and what’s worse he has no filter that helps him separate good ideas from bad ones.

Especially with the above.

One and six throw ideas out there, but it's uber unfocused. Just bad. Whatever focus CC had, its gone out the window.

I don't necessarily think it would be a bad idea for Carter to take a step back because I do think that sometimes letting your creation breathe with others isn't a bad thing (which, honestly, The X-Files itself has showed when other writers have taken over). Plus, it would actually be interesting to see if they could develop a new generation of up-and-coming writers, as they in the 1990s.

That being said, this Vulture piece offers a bit of a rebuttal to Faraci's piece that is worth pondering, IMO:

Speaking of Carter, he's come in for a lot of pokes this season from fans and critics alike. For me, I admire the way he assuredly follows his muse, audience expectations be damned. I'm also inspired by his willingness to take risks, challenging and potentially alienating his audience (especially in last week's "Babylon," an episode I can't stop thinking about). Beyond that, I appreciate that he continues to give other distinctive writer/directors like Glen Morgan, James Wong, and Darin Morgan the freedom to take his characters and his world in a number of different, inspired directions. Should a new season come about, I'd love to see even more of the old writing team — like Vince Gilligan, Frank Spotnitz, and Steven Maeda — back on board to do more of that.

Not a bad idea for whom, though? Parts of the audience who don't like his style, or himself? There are lots of stories I kind of wish were written by other people I like better, but saying Carter should back away and let someone freshen up his series is like saying,"You know, that Dickens. He just told the same story over and over and should have backed away by the time he got to A Tale of Two Cities, so as to allow a new writer to give it a fresher approach."

I agree with that Vulture writer. I'd like to see more of the old writers back, but I don't want a fresh look at Mulder and Scully's story. And I definitely admire the writer who sticks to his vision. I'd rather sink or swim on those merits than pander to an audience. That will ruin a story. People say similar things about Aaron Sorkin, whom I also think is fantastic.

Edited by madam magpie

Not a bad idea for whom, though? Parts of the audience who don't like his style, or himself? There are lots of stories I kind of wish were written by other people I like better, but saying Carter should back away and let someone freshen up his series is like saying,"You know, that Dickens. He just told the same story over and over and should have backed away by the time he got to A Tale of Two Cities, so as to allow a new writer to give it a fresher approach."

I agree with that Vulture writer. I'd like to see more of the old writers back, but I don't want a fresh look at Mulder and Scully's story. And I admire the writer who sticks to his vision. I'd rather sink or swim on those merits than pander to an audience. That will ruin a story.

I actually think it would be better for Carter.  I don't mind his style, to be perfectly honest, but he is the kind of writer who probably needs a partner to help rein him in.  He has some weaknesses (namely, that his ideas are sometimes way too big and he tries to address too much).  I had zero problem with the basic story he came up with for the finale, but he needed to pare it down a bit to work fully. 

Plus, a television show and a novel are not the same thing.  By their very nature, novels are the vision of one human being but television shows are the result of a collaboration with a number of people - writers, directors, actors, etc.  It's not like we don't have examples of the show working when Carter hasn't been the writer or the main visionary.

My sense is that Chris Carter's biggest strength isn't as a writer or director but actually as a producer who people seem to trust.  He seemingly gives his actors and the other writers and directors their own room to breathe and grow - and that's great. So it may be that his best talent is not in doing more writing but in furthering the talent he finds because he clearly has an excellent eye for talent.

All of that being said, I actually don't think he should ever step away from the show entirely - whatever problems people have with him, TXF is indelibly his show.  I just think that with the next season, he may not want to be responsible for fully half of the episodes, because IMO, it was a little too much CC for 6 episodes.

• Love 1

All of Dickens' novels began as serials. (Dare I say "all"? There's probably one that didn't. Most?) They really are like modern TV shows, just in written form. And novels usually have many editors and lots of input outside the writer. All writing benefits from collaboration, sure, but the vision usually belongs to the person (or people) who created the fictional world. Chris Carter invented this world. Everyone may not like all of his details, but it came from his imagination. He's not just good with actors.

I work as an editor and can definitely see where Carter could benefit from a red pen, mostly with story details and pacing. But I also know that you often ruin a piece of writing when you push the writer out or direct him too much. Carter is a very good writer and storyteller with great instincts. He's also helmed a super-successful sci-fi franchise. Maybe he has some hubris when it comes to storytelling, though he seems pretty collaborative so I don't think much. I wouldn't advocate much in the way of directing him.

P.S. I do agree that the finale was too much for one episode. That's a pacing issue. I wish he'd introduced Einstein/Miller earlier and done away with Babylon entirely, except the moment with Mulder/Scully at the end...and the drug trip, which I thought was really entertaining. He could have worked those things in elsewhere.

Edited by madam magpie

Matt Zoller Seitz defends both CC and Season 10 at Vulture. Worth a read.

ETA: Todd van der Werff has an alternative perspective at Vox, which is also worth reading.  What I think is that Carter needs a Frank Spotnitz or another writing partner to help shape his big ideas into stories that make sense as television.

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine
  • Love 1

I think what Carter desperately needs is a partner, probably more on the production side than the writing, maybe someone entirely new to The X-Files staff, but not to The X-Files as a concept, to do two things, force him to edit his ideas and push him to decide on a resolution or at least an end point and build momentum towards it.

• Love 1

One of things that is making me sad about TXF being over again (for now) is that there was a massive billboard/bus and tram shelter/bus and tram advertising campaign for season 10 in Melbourne, Australia and there was a two month period where you couldn't walk a block in the CBD (downtown) without seeing an X-Files poster/billboard/tram or bus advertisement and it was delightful.

• Love 2

This article from The Mary Sue is interesting. The writer is an adopted child, and she talks about Scully and William, and how she relates to that story:

There is something about seeing Scully, known for being a strong, intellectual force to be reckoned with, brought to tears by her grief over William that stirs a protective instinct in me as an adopted child. I want to tell her it’s ok, because even though a shadow government of villains wasn’t after me (at least I don’t think!), the motives of keeping me safe and giving me a good life were the same for my biological family. As a reasonable adult and fellow woman, I am able to see Scully’s side of things very clearly.

After all, when Scully gave William up, Mulder was in hiding, Spender had just injected William with magnetite, and we all had to endure episodes like “Roadrunners” and “Badlaa” (shudder). Times were dark. Scully still needs to process her grief, something the writers could be focusing on a little more post-“Home Again,” which I felt was a standout episode for both Gillian Anderson and writer/director Glen Morgan.

• Love 1

David Duchovney was interviewed on Fresh Air yesterday, primarily about his new book, but he also talks about The X-Files a bit. It's an interesting interview (his book also sounds pretty good, even for a die-hard Red Sox fan like me).

ETA: This tidbit from an article in the Law Vegas Review Journal about the National Association of Broadcasters show is encouraging:

Responding to a shout from an audience member, Walden did her best to reassure a fan that he hadn’t seen the last of FBI agents Mulder and Scully.

“We want to do more ‘X-Files,’ ” she said. “This is just about Chris (Carter) and David (Duchovny) and Gillian (Anderson) clearing their schedules and having some time to get back together. Genuinely, everybody wants to do it. We just have to find the right opportunity.”

• Love 1

My first thought (well, second; first was, "Damn right!") was to wonder whether the editors still would have chosen M&S for the top slot if the revival hadn't happened (making the show fresher in their minds), but then I looked at the rest of the top ten, and many duos come from old shows. 

• Love 2

I still think William was the one piloting that UFO ;) Mulder was on the brink of death, and it would be SO LIKE Chris Carter for the "cure" (William) to come swooping down at the very last second. Their reunion is what I'm looking forward to.

8 hours ago, Italian Ice said:

I still think William was the one piloting that UFO ;) Mulder was on the brink of death, and it would be SO LIKE Chris Carter for the "cure" (William) to come swooping down at the very last second. Their reunion is what I'm looking forward to.

I wish. But Glen mentioned about that in an interview, so it doesn't look like that'll be it.

Here's what he said (I bolded his answers):

I think you’re up to the task, Glen, you could do it! And speaking of that scene, I wanted Skinner to come in instead of Miller and take Mulder back to Scully.

I’m not trying to start trouble, but I wanted it to be William!

To come in and save Mulder?

Yes.

That would have been awesome! Well maybe he’s on the spaceship above the bridge. That’s my guess.

That’s a good idea!

It would be cool if something like that did come to pass though.

Both of those interviews were quite nice. They all seem like people who still care about each other very much, and that is nice to see. I do wonder if they can somehow entice Frank Spotnitz back for season 11, especially since I think I read he's left "The Man in the High Castle."

• Love 1
2 hours ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

Both of those interviews were quite nice. They all seem like people who still care about each other very much, and that is nice to see. I do wonder if they can somehow entice Frank Spotnitz back for season 11, especially since I think I read he's left "The Man in the High Castle."

I didn't get that vibe from CC's interview. But Frank's, yes. And Glen's, the same. Like two adults. I wish they could, but I heard that a pilot he put up over at CBS has been picked up, so it's a no go there. Darn it. 

As for how he would have changed things, man what I'd give to have some time with him (no taping of it) to hear what he had to say on it. He's pretty good at writing the characters along with the characterization. He balanced things out and it showed this time. Without Frank, CC just doesn't seem to write very well in my opinion. And it's sad, since I liked a lot of his past episodes.

13 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

I didn't get that vibe from CC's interview. But Frank's, yes. And Glen's, the same. Like two adults. I wish they could, but I heard that a pilot he put up over at CBS has been picked up, so it's a no go there. Darn it. 

Not sure what vibe you are referring to? The vibe about caring about each other?  Whatever CC's faults, he's consistent in talking about how much he enjoys working with DD and GA (with both of them returning the favor).  I mean, you can be disappointed about some of his actions with these characters and still admit that he does have some positive qualities.

Without Frank, CC just doesn't seem to write very well in my opinion. And it's sad, since I liked a lot of his past episodes.

I think that Frank Spotnitz is really good at taking some of CC's ideas - which are often too big for television - and turn them into interesting television episodes. In that way, they are two halves of a whole. I like Carter's big ideas, but I also like Spotnitz's ability to filter them through these characters in a compelling way.

5 hours ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

Not sure what vibe you are referring to? The vibe about caring about each other?  Whatever CC's faults, he's consistent in talking about how much he enjoys working with DD and GA (with both of them returning the favor).  I mean, you can be disappointed about some of his actions with these characters and still admit that he does have some positive qualities.

I think that Frank Spotnitz is really good at taking some of CC's ideas - which are often too big for television - and turn them into interesting television episodes. In that way, they are two halves of a whole. I like Carter's big ideas, but I also like Spotnitz's ability to filter them through these characters in a compelling way.

No just his overall vibe towards fans and reviewers. It's great that he gets along with them. But it's not a good thing when the rest of the vibe seems so toxic. Anything remotely positive is pretty much drowned out by his negative qualities. It just makes me cringe whenever I read an interview by him as of late.

Exactly. He's a good filter, and in my opinion, CC needs it. It helps to distill the ideas better.

Another interview.

Some bits from it:

"I think we made good on the promise of the opportunity to come back, and I feel proud of the work," he said.

"We could have done is come back and done the lazy thing – we could have done sequels [to existing episodes] or a victory lap, but we didn't.

"We came back and did fresh, original material, pushed the boundaries of the show, and I think we showed that The X-Files has a lot more life in it."

--------------------------------------------

Sorry Chris, but I disagree with you there. It was lazy in parts, especially the dialogue. Only the Morgans and Wong did really good work this time. You need to step it up next time. I'm very disappointed by the work you brought to the table.

Some more:

As for the promised X-Files season eleven, he said that they were currently trying to find a free space in everyone's schedules.

"There was talk of trying to film them in November, but that said, that would mean I would have to be getting to work right now, and I've not even made the calls," said Carter.

"I'd have to go into very quick action to make that happen, so, until someone gives me a clear idea about when they would actually have open schedules to film episodes, I'm going to continue on my vacation."

---------------------------------

That second sentence said pretty much everything in a nutshell. He doesn't want to write. He hasn't even called people up to see when schedules are open. I don't blame him for wanting to take a break, but at least start sketching some stuff out.

1 hour ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

No just his overall vibe towards fans and reviewers. It's great that he gets along with them. But it's not a good thing when the rest of the vibe seems so toxic. Anything remotely positive is pretty much drowned out by his negative qualities. It just makes me cringe whenever I read an interview by him as of late.

Exactly. He's a good filter, and in my opinion, CC needs it. It helps to distill the ideas better.

I mean, I just don't agree with that at all. I understand that you and others were disappointed by some elements of the revival.  Obviously, I don't think everything was perfect. But I don't find his attitude towards fans or reviewers toxic or negative. I think that in a lot of ways, he's appreciative of the fact that the fans continue to love the show and these characters.  But just because he doesn't indulge all that much in fan service doesn't mean he's toxic or negative towards them.

I do think he has weaknesses as a writer, and that people like Frank Spotnitz help to counter act those weaknesses. But I detect little contempt from CC when it comes to the fanbase.

In other news, TV Guide has posted a video where David Duchovney discusses delivering the Mulder monologue in My Struggle.  I laughed at his line at the end.

1 minute ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

I mean, I just don't agree with that at all. I understand that you and others were disappointed by some elements of the revival.  Obviously, I don't think everything was perfect. But I don't find his attitude towards fans or reviewers toxic or negative. I think that in a lot of ways, he's appreciative of the fact that the fans continue to love the show and these characters.  But just because he doesn't indulge all that much in fan service doesn't mean he's toxic or negative towards them.

I do think he has weaknesses as a writer, and that people like Frank Spotnitz help to counter act those weaknesses. But I detect little contempt from CC when it comes to the fanbase.

In other news, TV Guide has posted a video where David Duchovney discusses delivering the Mulder monologue in My Struggle.  I laughed at his line at the end.

No offense, but you haven't seen a lot of what he's said. Sometimes he can be not so nice. It doesn't have anything to do whatsoever about fan service. Heck all I wanted this go was good writing and good characterization. Neither of which came from him.

(edited)
6 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

No offense, but you haven't seen a lot of what he's said. Sometimes he can be not so nice. It doesn't have anything to do whatsoever about fan service. Heck all I wanted this go was good writing and good characterization. Neither of which came from him.

Yes, I have. That I interpret what he's saying differently from you doesn't mean I haven't read his interviews. It just means I don't see him being mean or not so nice when he's explaining his thought process. You were disappointed in the revival in ways that I was not. That doesn't mean either of us is right or wrong.  But I don't feel the need to excoriate him personally for everything that the revival didn't include that I wished it had included.

10 minutes ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

Yes, I have. That I interpret what he's saying differently from you doesn't mean I haven't read his interviews. It just means I don't see him being mean or not so nice when he's explaining his thought process. You were disappointed in the revival in ways that I was not. That doesn't mean either of us is right or wrong.  But I don't feel the need to excoriate him personally for everything that the revival didn't include that I wished it had included.

Fair point. Guess we all have our different takes on it. Some of us are just tired of his bs.

Another good example: 

Anything you want to take a mulligan on?

No, but there are some critical responses I’d like some critics to take a mulligan on.

Sourcehttp://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/23/arts/television/chris-carter-expects-more-x-files-definitely-reads-reviews.html?_r=0

His response speaks volumes to me. That he has the nerve to say that some reviewers/critics need to take a mulligan over how they feel about s10. Well they have a right to their opinion and shouldn't feel like they should have to take back what they said.

That's fair as well. As for that, heck I didn't expect to see anything. Since when has good writing and good characterization become 'fan service'? Last time I checked, it's a sign of a good writer. A lot of us out there are mainly upset about that, about the lack of quality. It isn't about what we want. So it's not really fair to spin it into that when it's not the case.

Honestly, if I had created a show that spanned 23 years and created two of television's most iconic characters, and then had people telling me I should leave my creation because they didn't like an episode, I probably would be a little aggravated, too.  But he expressed that thought in the most benign way possible. I have seen far worse from writers, producers, and directors. I don't have any problem with what he said there.

12 minutes ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

Honestly, if I had created a show that spanned 23 years and created two of television's most iconic characters, and then had people telling me I should leave my creation because they didn't like an episode, I probably would be a little aggravated, too.  But he expressed that thought in the most benign way possible. I have seen far worse from writers, producers, and directors. I don't have any problem with what he said there.

Maybe. But it doesn't excuse bad writing. What I got from some of his recent interviews makes it seem as if he wants people to kiss up to him and like whatever he puts out. And that kind of thing, leaves a bad taste in my mouth, regardless of who says it.

I have too. But there's still no excuse for it.

I think I remember the TV Guide interview with DD. I don't blame him at all for having such a hard time with it. That stuff was word salad lol.

I just hope next time, things will end up being better in regards to writing.

David Duchovney interview with TV Insider indicates they would do more than 6 episodes for the next time:

You had great ratings success last winter with Fox’s X-Files reboot. Any plans to get back together with creator Chris Carter and costar Gillian Anderson for more?
We are talking about it, and like before, it’s a matter of getting the three principal people in the same room for a significant amount of time to shoot it. Last time, it obviously took nearly 10 years [to get us all together again], so hopefully it won’t take that long. And I think there were too few episodes. Twenty-two is far too many, but six is too few, so we’ve got to figure out something right in between.

I am going to guess they'll try for 10 to 12 episodes.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

David Duchovney interview with TV Insider indicates they would do more than 6 episodes for the next time:

I am going to guess they'll try for 10 to 12 episodes.

That's a good guess. I'm hoping for around 8 to 10 maybe 12.

• Love 1

This Deadline interview with both Gillian Anderson and David Duchovney is really interesting, both in what they said about playing the characters again and in thinking about moving forward:

Is there a sense from you of wanting to do more, though? Has this season increased the desire?

Duchovny: I don’t know… I’m pausing, and I don’t know why I’m pausing. I would say, I guess what we found with this season was that it’s possible to still get it. It doesn’t not work. And then the question becomes, if we were going to move on, how do we make it work even better? That’s a question we’d want to ask. This one was, “Phew, we can do it. I guess it did work.” But now it’s like, now what? How do we make this interesting again for all of us? And it is a joy to play, as difficult as it can be. There are days, I’m sure, where Gillian and I would rather go to work and not have to think about it, but ultimately that’s what keeps us alive; these people, those artists, and the chance to be able to use our brains and think on our feet to do the show in that way.

Anderson: David and I have solidified and intensified our friendship and our working relationship since the series ended, so it really is just going back and choosing to work with somebody, and feeling like we are doing something that only the two of us have the experience of. We’re there for each other, and enjoy that in and of itself. It was something I looked forward to with this series, and something I would potentially look forward to doing again. It’s a nice thing to have in one’s life.

Duchovny: I agree with that, and it’s going to sound really pedestrian, and not at all lofty, but when I think back to the beginnings of the show, and what I thought acting was—what I thought I could do as an actor—the gift this show gave me was having to go to work. Having to work as hard as we did, every day, for 14 hours a day, over 10 months, for five years in a row. That was a gift in that I took myself to school, and taught myself how to be an actor. For both Gillian and me, it was really sink or swim at that point, and to be able to do that with great material, and talented people helping us along… it could have gone in another direction, so I’m thankful, I think, just for the hard work that it was in the beginning, and the appreciation it gave me for what I do. It didn’t kill us, anyway.

It must be strange to be an actor and have people so attached to two characters you play.  Because people love you, but they don't really love you, they love your character.  I can imagine that might play into some of the ambivalence they have about returning to Mulder and Scully after 23 years.  Anyway, they are both pretty thoughtful people.

• Love 2

There's some new s11 news.

Here.

Source: sunshinetoday's tumblr

In a nutshell, scheduling seems to be a big sticking point. So I'm guessing we're in for a long wait. If and when it does happen.

Another article about it.

Another one -- looks like it'll be 2018 and they want 8-10 episodes.

Source: tvline.com

A couple more articles:

‘The X-Files': Fox Boss Explains Why Season 10 Was Challenged
http://www.thewrap.com/the-x-files-fox-boss-explains-why-season-10-was-challenged/

‘The X-Files’ Season 11: Fox Stands By Chris Carter And ‘Would Love to Do It’
http://www.indiewire.com/2016/08/x-files-season-11-gillian-anderson-david-duchovny-chris-carter-1201714376/

And he's still wondering if this should be the end of if he should leave it open ended for another season.

And this is why I hate myself for my inability to simply not watch and spare myself the frustration.  Because CC will never get over himself enough to end the damn thing, so every one of however many of these mini-seasons we get will end with some stupid cliffhanger, and at some point he's not going to get another shot at it, and we'll be left with a stupid cliffhanger that never gets resolved. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
On 10/5/2016 at 6:29 PM, Bastet said:

And this is why I hate myself for my inability to simply not watch and spare myself the frustration.  Because CC will never get over himself enough to end the damn thing, so every one of however many of these mini-seasons we get will end with some stupid cliffhanger, and at some point he's not going to get another shot at it, and we'll be left with a stupid cliffhanger that never gets resolved. 

I'm in the same boat to be honest. But to be fair, at least he mentioned an ending. Before it was just continuing forever. I'm hoping for a conclusion/ending, but I'm not counting on it.

On 10/5/2016 at 3:03 PM, AntiBeeSpray said:

A bit of new news.

Source: theglobeandmail.com

So it's looking like filming might start next year and it might be around 8 eps? Just going off of what CC said there.

Not sure where you're getting 8?  He said a "small expansion," which to me could be anywhere from 8 to 10 episodes.   Probably not 12, though. 

I don't care about CC not "ending" the show - we're 50 years into shows like Star Trek and Doctor Who.  At some point, some shows tap into something. I would no more expect an "end" to The X-Files than I do other genre franchises. I'm just happy to have these characters back.

• Love 4