Type keyword(s) to search

The X-Files in the Media

Interesting/depressing article from EW introducing the "new young" agents 2.0 in the last few episodes.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/29/x-files-robbie-amell-lauren-ambrose

I hate to be pessimistic but this writeup has all the qualities of the articles used to introduce Dogget and Reyes, including the approval of Mulder who claims that they are like he and Scully from 20 years ago.  Ugh, I really hope FOX is not using this mini-series for a back door reboot for two agents who look strikingly like our duo. If DD&GA don't want to do more series, just pull the plug or viewership is going to crash just like Series 8&9.

I have a feeling I should have listened to Mulder when he said "Trust no one". .

Edited by Tardislass
  • Love 1

I've been watching the entire series (via Netflix DVds) of Star Trek: Enterprise and...there was Schwarzenalien (Brian Thompson) playing a bad guy in a two-parter.

Two of those "Before they were famous" were known to me prior to their XF appearance. I knew Tony Shalhoub as Antonio, the taxi driver, in "Wings" & Joe Morton from "Brother from Another Planet."

• Love 1

Another Three Promos from SpoilerTV - Three funny clips for The Were-Monster episode. It's going to be a funny one!

Here's some clips of the next episode -- via Youtube (half the time I can't watch anything on SpoilerTV since you have to turn off any ad-blockers and even then the clips don't play, or take forever to cue up and even if they do play sometimes they get stuck while they are playing and never finish).

A Bit Silly from "Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-Monster"

A Fresh Kill from "Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-Monster"

Gotcha! from "Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-Monster"

Best part is that this episode features Kumail Nanjiani.  #butts (if you watch @midnight, you will get that hashtag)

GA retweeted a cute motel scene between the two. They are definitely more comfortable with each other and I love the stuffed animal heads(shout out to Psycho?!) on the wall. I recognized the animal catcher from Portlandia, didn't know he was a fanatic.

Interesting to note that Darin Morgan wrote a script for the cancelled remake of Kolchak:The Night Stalker dealing with a serial killer who may or may not be a were-lizard. 

• Love 2

@ottoDbusdriver: Disagree about Kumail. I don't find him all that funny. He was rather condescending towards fans/shippers. Kind of turned me off from even really trying to listen to his podcast. Other than that though, I'm looking forward to this ep!

• Love 1

@ottoDbusdriver: Disagree about Kumail. I don't find him all that funny. He was rather condescending towards fans/shippers. Kind of turned me off from even really trying to listen to his podcast. Other than that though, I'm looking forward to this ep!

I've never listened to his Kumail's podcasts, so I really only know his work from @midnight, the odd comedy special, and other movie and TV shows he has appeared on.

GA retweeted a cute motel scene between the two. They are definitely more comfortable with each other and I love the stuffed animal heads(shout out to Psycho?!) on the wall. I recognized the animal catcher from Portlandia, didn't know he was a fanatic.

That was awesome -- the classic Mulder that we know and love.

• Love 1

There's an even better line after that motel room clip cuts off! 

I'm not familiar with Kumail Nanjiani, but he was good in this.

Oooh. Was it a Mulder one? *eyebrows*

And did the scene lead anywhere? Just say yes or no. Don't want to spoil it completely.

No, it's Scully's line.  And

no, it doesn't lead anywhere romantic/sexual (I assume that's what you're asking).

(That's just your yes/no answer under the spoiler tags.)

Ah I see.

Dang it. Oh well. At least we have Babylon. Hopefully. And I hope that it's not AU. It's still a first for those two in a way though. And it makes up for that dear dream that the lizard man has. Thank a'lien.

Oh Mulder you putz. /facepalm

I can't help but feel like this upcoming episode would be the PERFECT situation for Mulder&Scully to meet the Winchesters with them both hunting a were-monster as a tribute to Kim Manners.  I know it won't happen but dammit, I want it!

• Love 2

I can't help but feel like this upcoming episode would be the PERFECT situation for Mulder&Scully to meet the Winchesters with them both hunting a were-monster as a tribute to Kim Manners.  I know it won't happen but dammit, I want it!

Yea that would be cool! Write a fic about it!

Ha! I've written exactly ONE fic. I figure I should quit while I'm ahead.  But you never know!

Ah. I've only written a few myself. Just practice and see where it leads you. I was thinking of doing a Mulder teaching William how to play ball fic myself.

• Love 2

Like the way he taught Scully?  I loved that sequence.  "Shut up, Mulder. I'm playing baseball."

I do too!

And the line you mentioned inspired me :).

"Ah dad... I'm trying to learn how to play baseball."  ~ William to his father

If anyone watches Saturday Night Live, they had a cute little Tortino Pizza Roll/X-File spoof mashup last night. I guess this means the show is popular again..or just that there are X-Files fans in the writers room.

• Love 1

I hope this is an okay place to put this, it's more about social media than anything else.

Anyway, just a random thing I noticed lately while following DD and GA on twitter....what IS it with young (I'm assuming) fans calling them mom and/or dad? Seems to happen more on GA's feed, but seriously, stuff like "OMG mom!" when she posts something new about the reboot, especially as a reaction to all the fun cutesy stuff between her and DD. I know fans get a little bit...exuberant toward the actors of any show/movie, but that weirds me out. I'm fairly new to this whole twitter thing, so maybe it's normal? Is calling your favorite celebrity "mom" or "dad" the thing all the kids are doing currently?

I hope this is an okay place to put this, it's more about social media than anything else.

Anyway, just a random thing I noticed lately while following DD and GA on twitter....what IS it with young (I'm assuming) fans calling them mom and/or dad? Seems to happen more on GA's feed, but seriously, stuff like "OMG mom!" when she posts something new about the reboot, especially as a reaction to all the fun cutesy stuff between her and DD. I know fans get a little bit...exuberant toward the actors of any show/movie, but that weirds me out. I'm fairly new to this whole twitter thing, so maybe it's normal? Is calling your favorite celebrity "mom" or "dad" the thing all the kids are doing currently?

I noticed the same thing with the new Doctor Peter Capaldi and young fans calling him space dad on Tumblr.odd

Yes, it IS the thing now, and it even extends to other popular, for lack of a better word, fans. Several of the prolific posters on Tumblr often get called "Mom" by other fans, and imo, encourage it. It's incredibly bizarre and uncomfortable, and led me to unfollow them because it creeped me out so.

Hayley Atwell (Agent Carter, Captain America) was constantly being called mom by young fans, despite her repeatedly asking them not to in increasingly adamant language. She deleted her Twitter account awhile back, and I suspect this overly familiar trend had at least a little to do with it.

• Love 3

Yikes. I use twitter quite a bit, but I tend not to read the replies back to any particular celebrity tweet. So I've totally missed the "mom" and "dad" thing.  So weird. I can't even imagine this thought process ever entering my head as a fan--no matter how old I was in relation to the celebrity in question. 

• Love 2

I find that rather creepy too. It's a bit too much. It's one thing to be inspired by them, but to call them either of those names? No. That's crossing a line in my opinion. They are not your parents.

• Love 1

I find that rather creepy too. It's a bit too much. It's one thing to be inspired by them, but to call them either of those names? No. That's crossing a line in my opinion. They are not your parents.

And it also seems kind of insulting--like a backhanded reminder of a generation gap that an actor doesn't necessarily want to highlight. I'm about GA's age, and I'd be smacking any upstart fan who decided that calling me "Mom" was some kind of compliment.

Edited by ElleBee
  • Love 3

And it also seems kind of insulting--like a backhanded reminder of a generation gap that an actor doesn't necessarily want to highlight. I'm about GA's age, and I'd be smacking any upstart fan who decided that calling me "Mom" was some kind of compliment.

Yea and some of the fans took offense that some of the older fans didn't like it. It was strange to say the least.

• Love 2

As a Supernatural fan, I see this on nearly EVERY tweet I ever see from Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles and Misha Collins. I mean seriously EVERY tweet. No matter what. I even saw it on a tweet from Jensen about a friend of his that passed away. I mean FFS. It even became a "joke" in the cast when one of the writers made a joke about it. But IMO they joke to make it less significant but some people think they don't care because they joke. It's so weird. 

There is a certain segment that likes the "Daddy" kink so they push it on the actors. And another segment changes it to "Dad" to make seem more like "Oh we just really love how these guys are great fathers". And another segment that thinks being 30 or 40 is OLD so the "Dad" thing is about their age..

It's all so stupid and creepy. STOP DOING IT, people.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2
It's all so stupid and creepy. STOP DOING IT, people.

So much THIS. Glad I'm not the only one who finds it creepy. It's that whole over familiarity thing....yes, they're in your home on your TV every week (or on your computer via Netflix or whatever) and it's cool they're more easily accessible now through social media....but celebrities are not your BFF, kids! This is one of the many, many reasons I'd never want to be famous. I like my privacy and all this mom/dad and "all we want in life is for you to marry your costar" crap would drive me nuts. More power to all the celebs who manage to be gracious in the face of it all. I say this as someone who eats up interviews and behind the scenes pictures/stories and gag reels, though, so I don't know.

This rant is making me feel old. Hey kids, get off my lawn! =)

Mind you, I really can't stand MILF used at all. 

Ugh. Me either.

• Love 2

More good news. Last night's episode:

FOX | The X-Files (8.3 mil/2.5) dipped but still led the night in the 18-34 demo. Only a 0.1 decrease from last weeks. 

These numbers are good for a 20 year old revival and shows that there is a solid core of about 8 million fans who will watch it live each week. 

So CC is in the catbird seat. I think it's going to be timing, availability and pay that determine in what shape and form the show will return. I'd be surprised if FOX isn't pushing for another TV series.

Question: How come TXF's season 10 overall rotten tomatoes rating is 57 % when the first four episodes have 61 %, 83 %, 100 % and 94 %? It bugs me to no end that they don't update the initial rating.

And here's a great read about the show that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside:

Why I still love the X-Files

Warm fuzzies indeed! =) This article captures exactly how I feel about the revival. I'm so happy that the show is back and so grateful that everyone involved in the project loved these characters enough to revisit them. I'm determined to enjoy it while it lasts and not be insanely critical about every little thing. It's not that I think that every fan has to like all the choices that were made about what we're seeing in these episodes, but I do think that some people were all set to be overly critical from the beginning. I'm loving the ride that we're on and will be sad when there's no more new X-Files to look forward to.

• Love 3

I was not giddy for the revival because I fell out of love in the last two seasons because to me, the show was always about the relationship between Mulder and Scully (in whatever form that took) and without DD's full participation, I wasn't in to it.  But damned if they haven't really pulled me back in with these episodes.

And as someone who has been a part of a cause, and been involved with someone who has given up a lot for a cause (and we've both made sacrifices for that along the way), I am relating directly to Mulder and Scully in ways I didn't when I was younger. I didn't think that they could find even more meaning in these two characters but they really have.  It makes me think that if they are going to go forward, they should continue to do it in this way, with these short runs (that's likely all that either actor would commit to, in any case).

Warm fuzzies indeed! =) This article captures exactly how I feel about the revival. I'm so happy that the show is back and so grateful that everyone involved in the project loved these characters enough to revisit them. I'm determined to enjoy it while it lasts and not be insanely critical about every little thing. It's not that I think that every fan has to like all the choices that were made about what we're seeing in these episodes, but I do think that some people were all set to be overly critical from the beginning. I'm loving the ride that we're on and will be sad when there's no more new X-Files to look forward to.

Word. There is a lot that bugs about the new X-Files but I am just so happy to have it back that it's the only show I watch in "real time". And seeing the maturing of Mulder and Scully is wonderful-after 20 years they are going to be the young and fresh kids of the series but DD & GA still are trying to stay true to the characters no matter what the writers seem to think. 

Sad to see the series ending so quickly but crossing fingers that everyone will return in some form.

• Love 2

Word. There is a lot that bugs about the new X-Files but I am just so happy to have it back that it's the only show I watch in "real time". And seeing the maturing of Mulder and Scully is wonderful-after 20 years they are going to be the young and fresh kids of the series but DD & GA still are trying to stay true to the characters no matter what the writers seem to think. 

Sad to see the series ending so quickly but crossing fingers that everyone will return in some form.

And the same goes with some of the writers too (Glen, James and Darrin).

• Love 2

Just saw this morning in TLG's Highlight Hollywood column that Fox is seriously pursuing a renewal/continuation of The X-Files beyond this abbreviated season and is now in discussions with "the talent" on the show. They've been ecstatic with the overall performance and buzz of the show, and I read last week that DD was on record as being a go if they do, but only if they keep the seasons short, as he said he wouldn't be okay with a 26-week episode series again (jeebus, do they even have 26 episode series shows on the tube anymore anyway?!!). I read GA is supposedly good with this as well. Both are returning to their respective series shows, DD in Aquarius (which I thought had been canceled by NBC, but I guess I was wrong), and GA to The Fall on BBC.

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 2