Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Time of Death

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

And here is the fall finale episode description, for your enjoyment/amusement/derision, depending on your preference!

Officer Nolan and Officer Bishop respond to a silent alarm call at a local convenience store where two men are attempting to rob the place. Officer Nolan pursues one of the suspects on foot and is forced to make a split-second decision that will affect both of their lives. Meanwhile, Officer Bishop helps coordinate a drug bust that hits a little too close to home for Officer Bradford.

• Love 2

Nolan is more upset he didn't have time to give the robber a 5 minute monologue instead of shooting him.

They should have made the situation unclear if Nolan was justified shooting in order to add drama to the IA inquiry. It was a boring formality/process to watch.

It's just a glitch? He didn't see the guy grabbing at her?

Why bother fade away, make a gun shot sound (as if Nolan got hit) and then show Nolan in the preview?

Poor mamma Montgomery another one of your boys will be dead.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

Why bother fade away, make a gun shot sound (as if Nolan got hit) and then show Nolan in the preview?

They worried that we'd think they were writing Fillion off, wanted to reassure us that he was going to make it. (just kidding)

• Love 2
5 hours ago, TWP said:

They worried that we'd think they were writing Fillion off, wanted to reassure us that he was going to make it. (just kidding)

Yes, They didn't want the viewers going through the holidays in a foul mood.

• Love 4

If Nolan (or any officer) had pulled out his taser, how would that have worked against a gun if the person holding the gun was going to shoot?

So, assuming there's another officer involved shooting or homicide with IA involved, what happens if one of them says they had a relationship and the other says it was a one-off? Or will she get dressed and dry her hair before they get there??

Tune in to find out if Thalia gets passed over for detective because she gave Bradford a heads up on his wife getting wired

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 7
40 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

If Nolan (or any officer) had pulled out his taser, how would that have worked against a gun if the person holding the gun was going to shoot?

So, assuming there's another officer involved shooting or homicide with IA involved, what happens if one of them says they had a relationship and the other says it was a one-off? Or will she get dressed and dry her hair before they get there??

Tune in to find out if Thalia gets passed over for detective because she gave Bradford a heads up on his wife getting wired

If Nolan pulled his taser, then this would really be a "very special" episode. 

Chen can use "my shower's broken and I used Nolan's shower" excuse (works every time) or "her DVR was full, missed recording the most recent episode of Jeopardy, Nolan invited her over to watch, and I took a shower" excuse.

Would it be another reason to pass on Thalia if the superiors found out she knew about Nolan/Chen?

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Chen can use "my shower's broken and I used Nolan's shower" excuse (works every time) or "her DVR was full, missed recording the most recent episode of Jeopardy, Nolan invited her over to watch, and I took a shower" excuse.

Great excuses, but what if they take their (Nolan's and Chen's) separate statements before they have a chance to get their story straight?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I took those as standard questions, not necessarily situation specific. They probably have to check off every box as it were.

I think Thalia should definitely get untapped for revealing the details of the operation to Bradford.

Then again, I think the boss should have known better than to send a hot head like Bradford as backup to the operation. Of course he was going to go rogue (even though at that point, he was pretty much in the right).

I think, maybe hope, that the addict wife will die as a result of the operation. Her storyline isn't that interesting - though if she dies then that gives Bradford a long angry/grieving storyline.

I also hope that Nolan was shot, but not killed (which of course, he wouldn't be killed) and Chen somehow takes out the brother. I think it would be just too much to have his first kills be two brothers.

Anyone else hear "Sexual Healing"? Just me?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

She also slipped Isabelle Methadone! Was that at the direction of the detectives or did she do that on her own?

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, BlakesMomma said:

She also slipped Isabelle Methadone! Was that at the direction of the detectives or did she do that on her own?

Do only the boots keep their body cams on at all times?
I was thinking Bishop's body cam was on when she gave Bradford's wife the "methadone," and that it looked a lot like the same baggie that was found on the dealer in the earlier scene, and that maybe Bishop lifted it from Evidence. The addict wife seemed to state a little too loudly that it was methadone--like she knew it might be recorded and also knew that it was not just methadone.
Probably none of this^ happened, but maybe some of it.

I guess Bishop (like Lopez) has to wash out of making detective to stay on the show as a main character?

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Do only the boots keep their body cams on at all times?
I was thinking Bishop's body cam was on when she gave Bradford's wife the "methadone," and that it looked a lot like the same baggie that was found on the dealer in the earlier scene, and that maybe Bishop lifted it from Evidence. The addict wife seemed to state a little too loudly that it was methadone--like she knew it might be recorded and also knew that it was not just methadone.
Probably none of this^ happened, but maybe some of it.

I guess Bishop (like Lopez) has to wash out of making detective to stay on the show as a main character?

Yes, I also wondered if it was the same baggie that was found earlier on the druggie. That's why I wondered if it was her own decision to help out a "friend" so to speak or is that something the detectives suggested.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Would it be another reason to pass on Thalia if the superiors found out she knew about Nolan/Chen?

Prior to the break-in and shooting, I don't believe Nolan and Chen violated any policy by seeing each other.

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Being tased might render you unable to do anything other than convulse and fall to the ground. My niece interned at a police department and was allowed to tase one of the officers (hopefully the officer volunteered for the honor) and she said that he went down quick. That being said, Nolan and Bishop were chasing two armed suspects. It would have been more dangerous for them to be carrying the taser out instead of their gun.

• Love 1

This episode is meh and Talia was stupid for telling Bradford about his wife. She shouldn't become detective. 

I think Taser would be more dangerous as sometimes the tasing doesn't work but you'd think the bodycam would show. 

What is up with West and his dad? That seems more interesting than the storyline. 

• Love 3

Taser’s are not 100% effective especially at distance. If the barbs don’t penetrate all the way into the skin it doesn’t work. In Nolan’s situation the gun was the proper tool. 

I cant help but think that officer involved shootings are not handled the way shown. I don’t think they call them Homicide and the cop a suspect at that stage. I also don’t think he would not be allowed counsel during his IA interview. The union rep and lawyer seemed less than competent to me also. 

Did anyone else else hear two shots when Nolan was watching the body cam footage?

• Love 4

At first I was annoyed that they were treating Nolan like a "suspect" over an obviously clean shoot. But then it became clear that we were seeing his perceptions, colored by guilt. The other characters were actually very nice to him. So I enjoyed the examination of Nolan's character, and thought that Fillion nailed the trauma reaction. But, of course, the writers couldn't leave it at that; they had to jump over the plausibility line and have the dead guy's brother break into Nolan's apartment. Sigh.

I liked it that Bradford apologized to the Captain after barging into her office. But putting him on the "rescue" team has to be the worst idea ever.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, Driad said:

Why didn't the department offer Nolan protection, or at least suggest he go to a hotel, after the brother threatened revenge?

Did he threaten him? The only thing I remember was that he'd given an interview (or whatever) where he claimed Nolan had killed his brother in cold blood. I

• Love 1
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Great excuses, but what if they take their (Nolan's and Chen's) separate statements before they have a chance to get their story straight?

Shame on those two. Should have been covered during "pillow talk".

5 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

Prior to the break-in and shooting, I don't believe Nolan and Chen violated any policy by seeing each other.

You're right. The amount of times she kept telling Chen to break it off, it was like they were violating some rule.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

Why would a cop leave his sliding doors unlocked? I missed most of the episode but caught the last bit..and that little detail just made me say "okay....let me find something else to watch"..

I'm just spitballing here, but I would say he didn't intend to leave them unlocked, but he and Lucy both expected Lucy to leave right after dropping him off, but then they kissed, and the resulting stuff made them both forget about the door.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, mxc90 said:
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Shame on those two. Should have been covered during "pillow talk".

6 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

You're right. The amount of times she kept telling Chen to break it off, it was like they were violating some rule.

When Chen was interviewed about Nolan after the shooting, she was asked if he had experienced any recent changes, such as a break-up, and she said no.  She could try to justify it by saying they weren't really dating, so it wasn't a break up, or by pretending (evidenced by her being in his apartment wet and in a robe) that they had never broken up, or that this was the first time they were together, but in the end, she wasn't completely truthful at her interview.

@shapeshifter

I was thinking Bishop's body cam was on when she gave Bradford's wife the "methadone," and that it looked a lot like the same baggie that was found on the dealer in the earlier scene, and that maybe Bishop lifted it from Evidence.

Is it possible/likely that the police have methadone available? It is, I think, a legal drug. Prescription, but legal.

Didn't Bradford check out a batch of Naxalone to give to Isabel, believing she would need it when she overdosed next?

In which case, it would make sense for the detectives to have given Isabel enough to stop her withdrawal symptoms.

• Love 2

I understand filming in Atlanta or Vancouver to save on cost but what do they save by crossing the city limits line to film in Burbank CA? When Officer Bishop pronounced the "victim" dead a;long with time of death I was sitting asking whats going on here, it is not like the back of his head was missing. It almost seems like the police wanted him to die by calling off the ambulance. So with the next investigation by Commander West how do we get around Chen lying in the initial investigation of Nolan? Much less worry about her sexual reputation in the department.

With only half an hour I think Kent McCord did the "boot', they weren't using the term on Adam-12, killing a man better than Nathan Fillion

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

When Chen was interviewed about Nolan after the shooting, she was asked if he had experienced any recent changes, such as a break-up, and she said no.  She could try to justify it by saying they weren't really dating, so it wasn't a break up, or by pretending (evidenced by her being in his apartment wet and in a robe) that they had never broken up, or that this was the first time they were together, but in the end, she wasn't completely truthful at her interview.

You're right, Chen wasn't truthful during the interview. But I was talking about when Nolan and Chen were seeing each other. As far as I know, that doesn't violate any regulation. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Raja said:

I understand filming in Atlanta or Vancouver to save on cost but what do they save by crossing the city limits line to film in Burbank CA? When Officer Bishop pronounced the "victim" dead a;long with time of death I was sitting asking whats going on here, it is not like the back of his head was missing. It almost seems like the police wanted him to die by calling off the ambulance. So with the next investigation by Commander West how do we get around Chen lying in the initial investigation of Nolan? Much less worry about her sexual reputation in the department.

With only half an hour I think Kent McCord did the "boot', they weren't using the term on Adam-12, killing a man better than Nathan Fillion

Bishop checked his pulse, she knew he was  dead. He was shot point blank in the chest. Sure I guess she could have beat him up some more banging on his chest for a few minutes but he was dead already. 

As for Nolan leaving the door open at his place.  If you’ve lived by the ocean it’s likely you leave those doors open all the time when you’re home, cop or not. I did as did most others I know. And as someone else said, Nolan was a bit distracted. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, BlakesMomma said:

If you’ve lived by the ocean it’s likely you leave those doors open all the time when you’re home, cop or not.

My front door is open from 6 AM or earlier, until at least midnight.  Between those times, it only gets shut if I leave home.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Loandbehold said:

You're right, Chen wasn't truthful during the interview. But I was talking about when Nolan and Chen were seeing each other. As far as I know, that doesn't violate any regulation. 

Chen was being advised that it would be a distraction when she was supposed to be focused on learning her job, that it would be awkward at work if it led to a bad breakup, and that she could get the wrong kind of rep around the precinct.  It can also lead to favoritism and looking the other way/covering up for your gf/bf, and Chen is already doing that by lying to investigators. Whether or not it was an official rule, it was made very clear to her that cops dating each other is not looked upon well by the department. 

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, break21 said:

If that was directed at me  - I will leave.

It's a good show that didn't find an audience.  Sorry if I upset you.

It wasn't directed at you at all. It was directed at one of the tropiest tropes that ever troped.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Raja said:

Don't recall that one, but the writers of this episode should've first watched the season 1 finale of the half-hour, mostly comedy Barney Miller, "The Hero," which got an Emmy for writing, in which Gregory Sierra did Emmy-worthy emoting. 

"The Hero") deals with Chano's guilt and grief after killing a bank robber during a shoot-out. When he hears he is up for a commendation for his courage, it only adds to his guilt. He manages to hide his feelings from his colleagues and Captain Miller, but in one of those effective serious sitcom moments, he sits alone and begins to sob.

(https://www.popmatters.com/barney-miller-season-1-2496233021.html)

• Love 3
13 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

@shapeshifter

I was thinking Bishop's body cam was on when she gave Bradford's wife the "methadone," and that it looked a lot like the same baggie that was found on the dealer in the earlier scene, and that maybe Bishop lifted it from Evidence.

Is it possible/likely that the police have methadone available? It is, I think, a legal drug. Prescription, but legal.

Didn't Bradford check out a batch of Naxalone to give to Isabel, believing she would need it when she overdosed next?

In which case, it would make sense for the detectives to have given Isabel enough to stop her withdrawal symptoms.

The point that methodone is legal, and given she's a junkie, they might have it available, is well taken (though if that's what they meant the point to be, they shouldn't have shot it that way.

Bradford didn't check out Naxalone as much as he stole it from supplies. Technically, he checked it out, but those supplies aren't meant to be distributed to one person - they're meant to supply police cars.

11 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

Bishop checked his pulse, she knew he was  dead. He was shot point blank in the chest. Sure I guess she could have beat him up some more banging on his chest for a few minutes but he was dead already.

Plus, banging on the chest is not exactly recommended as a life saving technique for someone with a bullet in his chest.

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Don't recall that one, but the writers of this episode should've first watched the season 1 finale of the half-hour, mostly comedy Barney Miller, "The Hero," which got an Emmy for writing, in which Gregory Sierra did Emmy-worthy emoting. 

(https://www.popmatters.com/barney-miller-season-1-2496233021.html)

I loved that episode, and it has stayed with me all these years.

• Love 2

Are we already in the know about what the situation is between West, his dad and his MOM, or was that a teaser? Because if it's been mentioned, I missed it so hoping someone can fill me in on that storyline.

I did love those beach sunset shots ... we're moving from the east coast to southern California in two years and I'm already feeling "saudade" about it in advance, but those shots made me feel a little better!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Are we already in the know about what the situation is between West, his dad and his MOM, or was that a teaser? Because if it's been mentioned, I missed it so hoping someone can fill me in on that storyline.

I did love those beach sunset shots ... we're moving from the east coast to southern California in two years and I'm already feeling "saudade" about it in advance, but those shots made me feel a little better!

We don’t know. It’s a teaser. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, newyawk said:

Chen was being advised that it would be a distraction when she was supposed to be focused on learning her job, that it would be awkward at work if it led to a bad breakup, and that she could get the wrong kind of rep around the precinct.  It can also lead to favoritism and looking the other way/covering up for your gf/bf, and Chen is already doing that by lying to investigators. Whether or not it was an official rule, it was made very clear to her that cops dating each other is not looked upon well by the department. 

Bishop says this to Chen because, as a woman, she could get a reputation from fellow (most likely male) officers if she dates a fellow cop in the house. That isn't a rule, nor was she told this by the sergeant or the captain. Nolan wasn't given the same speech b/c he's a guy. If dating was so frowned upon, Bishop should have really read him the riot act as soon as she learned he and Chen were together.

• Love 3

The reputation was only part of it. The rest of it is common sense that she was clued in on, and IIRC, Nolan was also advised by either Bishop or another superior. 

Found this on Reddit discussion about the show (thank you, IBreakCellPhones). This is apparently straight from the LAPD  policy manual :

Off-duty personal relationships not involving a chain-of-command conflict are not reportable as conflicts of interest under this Section. However, any personal relationship between employees which negatively impacts an involved employee's performance of his/her professional responsibilities is a matter of serious concern to the Department. The Department reserves the right to take appropriate action, including discipline, to eliminate such conflicts in order to maintain an appropriate work environment.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheRookie/comments/9sw64y/why_cant_the_rookies_date/

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Loandbehold said:

Bishop says this to Chen because, as a woman, she could get a reputation from fellow (most likely male) officers if she dates a fellow cop in the house. That isn't a rule, nor was she told this by the sergeant or the captain. Nolan wasn't given the same speech b/c he's a guy. If dating was so frowned upon, Bishop should have really read him the riot act as soon as she learned he and Chen were together.

True, she didn't say anything to him until Nolan confronted her about what she said to Chen, but Bishop was looking out for Chen, a fellow female cop.  Nolan's reputation would not be negatively affected by the relationship.

4 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:
4 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

We don’t know. It’s a teaser. 

I immediately thought that the mom was upset that the son had become a police officer, with all its inherent danger.  Since his relationship with his father is normal, he can't have done something objectively awful.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I immediately thought that the mom was upset that the son had become a police officer, with all its inherent danger.  Since his relationship with his father is normal, he can't have done something objectively awful.

That makes a lot of sense ... but for some reason I inferred from what his dad said that West would not be welcome at dinner by his mom. If she was upset because she loved/worried about her son's safety, I wouldn't think she'd take it so far as to refuse to see him. I got vibe there was bad blood or something up with the mom. I can't remember if she'd ever been mentioned before now ...

Well, glad that there's only a few weeks to wait rather than a few months (or, like with David Simon shows, a year or so). I've grown to love this show more and more. Nathan Fillion has totally grown on me. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

That makes a lot of sense ... but for some reason I inferred from what his dad said that West would not be welcome at dinner by his mom. If she was upset because she loved/worried about her son's safety, I wouldn't think she'd take it so far as to refuse to see him. I got vibe there was bad blood or something up with the mom. I can't remember if she'd ever been mentioned before now ...

Well, glad that there's only a few weeks to wait rather than a few months (or, like with David Simon shows, a year or so). I've grown to love this show more and more. Nathan Fillion has totally grown on me. 

I’ve seen a lot of speculation on social media that West is gay and his mom hasn’t come to terms with it yet. Pure social media speculation. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I just figured she was so upset, she couldn't see him until he agreed to quit the force.  Guess we'll find out eventually!

2 minutes ago, BlakesMomma said:

I’ve seen a lot of speculation on social media that West is gay and his mom hasn’t come to terms with it yet. Pure social media speculation. 

Yeah, that's also possible, I suppose, but I sure hope not.  Having someone you love be so disapproving of you could weigh on your mind, and make your job even more dangerous.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

While I normally hold that who you choose to date is none of your boss's business, there are instances where I can see why it might raise a concern.  I knew an airline pilot who married a cabin attendant.  They were told that one of hem would have to resign, because in the event of an emergency, the airline wanted their minds to be on their passengers, not each other.  There was also a case I heard about in WW-II where four brothers were crew in the same RAF Avro Lancaster.  When the plane was shot down, the family lost four sons in an instant.  The RAF then banned family members from serving together, to prevent a repeat of the tragedy.  Not the same thing, but a similar theme, I think.  (The family, upon hearing the news, paid for the purchase of a new Lancaster, which at WW-II prices was about £43,000 complete with all guns, but not including any ammo or bomb-load. Mad dogs and Englishmen...)

Anyway, whether there is a rule against it or not, any advice or warnings should have been given equally to both.  But if her reputation was likely to suffer more than his (because we live in the world as it is and not as we would wish it to be) then perhaps stronger warnings being given to her was justified?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

I was kind of wondering that myself. Puts his odd/ kind of judge-y interaction with the gay kid who shot his father a few episodes back in a whole new light... but if that does turn out to be the case, they could have done a lot more with that scene (in terms of both foreshadowing and Jackson's character).

Overall I feel like Jackson and Lopez have definitely gotten the short shrift thus far in terms of the three rookie/ TO pairings character development. Obviously Nolan/ Talia are at the forefront and get the most screen time due to Fillion being the star of the show. Chen/ Bradford has been mainly their separate relationship angst, but I like the weird bond they have and the way Bradford trains her, even if he's tough and can be an asshole at times. But Jackson/Lopez are just kind of meh. Some of it's definitely the writing, but some of it might be the actors, too? I don't know. I feel like all we know about Lopez was what she told Nolan in the episode where she was his TO for the day. Quite frankly I was really expecting everything she told him to be a lies that she was feeding him so he'd lose the challenge, but that didn't end up happening so it just came across as extremely info dump-y. And all I know about Jackson is that he's a nice guy who's a legacy cop and freezes up when being shot at. Really not much.

My favorite relationship of the show so far, though, is the quiet but seemingly very strong friendship between the three TO's. I do not think that justified Talia telling Bradford about what was going on with his wife, but I do like the way they are always there for each other, and the scene where Lopez joins Bradford in the car was both funny and sweet.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Netfoot said:

While I normally hold that who you choose to date is none of your boss's business, there are instances where I can see why it might raise a concern.  I knew an airline pilot who married a cabin attendant.  They were told that one of hem would have to resign, because in the event of an emergency, the airline wanted their minds to be on their passengers, not each other. 

That seems harsh - seems like they could just be assigned to different planes. But organizations aren't known for their nimble thinking.

14 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I was kind of wondering that myself. Puts his odd/ kind of judge-y interaction with the gay kid who shot his father a few episodes back in a whole new light... but if that does turn out to be the case, they could have done a lot more with that scene (in terms of both foreshadowing and Jackson's character).

It never occurred to me, as I didn't think we'd seen any evidence. But that scene could certainly serve as a hint.