Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Time of Death

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

That seems harsh - seems like they could just be assigned to different planes.

This was a while back.  Before you could just say "Alexa, don't let these two schedule together on the same flight!"

16 hours ago, Netfoot said:

While I normally hold that who you choose to date is none of your boss's business, there are instances where I can see why it might raise a concern.  I knew an airline pilot who married a cabin attendant.  They were told that one of hem would have to resign, because in the event of an emergency, the airline wanted their minds to be on their passengers, not each other.  There was also a case I heard about in WW-II where four brothers were crew in the same RAF Avro Lancaster.  When the plane was shot down, the family lost four sons in an instant.  The RAF then banned family members from serving together, to prevent a repeat of the tragedy.  Not the same thing, but a similar theme, I think.  (The family, upon hearing the news, paid for the purchase of a new Lancaster, which at WW-II prices was about £43,000 complete with all guns, but not including any ammo or bomb-load. Mad dogs and Englishmen...)

Anyway, whether there is a rule against it or not, any advice or warnings should have been given equally to both.  But if her reputation was likely to suffer more than his (because we live in the world as it is and not as we would wish it to be) then perhaps stronger warnings being given to her was justified?

The American version was the Sullivan brothers on a cruiser sunk off Guadalcanal Thus the set up for Saving Private Ryan.

• Love 4
On 12/13/2018 at 2:42 AM, WendyCR72 said:

It wasn't directed at you at all. It was directed at one of the tropiest tropes that ever troped.

We were all screaming “Oh please” at the same time! Mine was more with the superglum mug shots (really? Mug shots at that point of an investigation that we all know will exonerate him since Show decided to not make us think otherwise with having the shooting off camera, etc.? Especially since duh they already have ID photos of him anyway) that actually made me laugh—plus Nolan’s skulking around the station and his house the rest of the episode like some demented melancholy Frankenstein’s monster. The only thing more entertaining would have been putting him in lockup with some gangbangers. Now that would have been some fine troping.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, Raja said:

The American version was the Sullivan brothers on a cruiser sunk off Guadalcanal Thus the set up for Saving Private Ryan.

This was exactly what I was thinking when I wrote the post that I then deleted because I thought I might have been overthinking LOL! Thanks for making me feel like I was going in the right direction.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, newyawk said:

The reputation was only part of it. The rest of it is common sense that she was clued in on, and IIRC, Nolan was also advised by either Bishop or another superior. 

Found this on Reddit discussion about the show (thank you, IBreakCellPhones). This is apparently straight from the LAPD  policy manual :

Off-duty personal relationships not involving a chain-of-command conflict are not reportable as conflicts of interest under this Section. However, any personal relationship between employees which negatively impacts an involved employee's performance of his/her professional responsibilities is a matter of serious concern to the Department. The Department reserves the right to take appropriate action, including discipline, to eliminate such conflicts in order to maintain an appropriate work environment.

Bishop told Nolan that if he continued seeing Chen, it would harm Chen's reputation. She didn't say his would be harmed. And, the policy manual says that relationships are not reportable conflicts of interest. So, it wasn't until Chen came lied to the investigators that it became something that negatively impacted performance or professional responsibility. Up until that point, there was no violation of any department policy. That's not saying there wasn't the potential for problems (as has now happened), just that when Bishop warned Chen, no policy was yet broken. And, telling Chen to break it off was due to the sexism still rampant among police based on the warning she told Nolan.

• Love 3

In any case, the dating policy is a moot point in regards to the overall show. Drawing from the show's twitter feed, it appears that ABC is bound and determined to go with Chen and Nolan no matter how devoid of spark and chemistry they are, which will only contribute to the lingering mehness.  

Edited by newyawk
3 hours ago, newyawk said:

In any case, the dating policy is a moot point in regards to the overall show. Drawing from the show's twitter feed, it appears that ABC is bound and determined to go with Chen and Nolan no matter how devoid of spark and chemistry they are, which will only contribute to the lingering mehness.  

I got a feeling that Officer Chen's lie to Internal Affairs will play a big role in the upcoming half season 

• Love 2

The problem I have with the Nolan/Chen deal is that there was no development. The only reason they seemed to  have got together in the first place was propinquity, so making a romance fly from an uninspired start makes it more like an effort.

All the various workplace relationships are much more interesting, and I wish they would just put the romance on the back burner again.

• Love 8

Late to the mid season finale.  Hmm... it kind of reaffirms my belief that more (melo)drama does not always make for a good show.  I thought they did a fair job in showing Nolan's shock and guilt to taking another's life, and showing the process following this kind of shooting was interesting. But there was also zero ambiguity to the shooting itself or the outcome of the investigation so that kind of took away any suspense or dramatic element to that.  I think this is the kind of show that always wants to show cops doing the best they can, doing a good job, so we're never going to see them take truly questionable action or wade into a morally grey area.  Could see the melodramatic twist of the brother coming back for revenge a mile away and didn't care for it.  Ditto for Lucy coming back for a night of comfort with Nolan and then calling it a mistake. ;)  So I guess the brother being shot is all going to add to them outed and the fact that Lucy lied in questioning is going to come back to bite her.  Same for Bishop leaking the details to Bradford, which she really should not have done.  Bradford should not have been anywhere near that investigation imo; he was clearly emotionally compromised.  I am ready to see the end of the druggie wife drama too.  The hint of discord with West and his family may have been the most interesting personal tidbit this episode.

I have mostly enjoyed this show so far. But it also feels like quite a safe, slightly above average to mediocre typically network show to me.  With a likable cast that elevates average writing more often than not.  I hope the writing can really improve going forward if this show wants to stand above the pack. 

• Love 5
On December 13, 2018 at 1:37 PM, BlakesMomma said:

I’ve seen a lot of speculation on social media that West is gay and his mom hasn’t come to terms with it yet. Pure social media speculation. 

Eh, social media loves to throw stuff like that around even when it clearly does not make any sense to the Story Thus Far. In this case, it doesn't make any sense to me that they would throw in a C plot for a secondary character who still has an unresolved B plot (fear of being shot at). OTOH, as others mentioned upthread, if the issue is tha West's mom didn't want him to be a cop, maybe there will be some reveal about him being with his dad as a kid when they got shot at (maybe he saw someone killed up close) and they promised Mom that West would never become a cop.

• Love 5

It will be interesting to see why West's mother doesn't want to have him over for dinner.   Frankly, neither current theory makes much sense to me.
If he's gay, it would be much more likely that his para/military police commander father would oppose his son's homosexuality, rather than the mother.
Also, if his mother is opposed to her son being a cop, it would seem that she's protective and worried about him and that she'd want to spend MORE time with him, not less. 

• Love 4
On 12/30/2018 at 7:56 PM, buckboard said:

It will be interesting to see why West's mother doesn't want to have him over for dinner.   Frankly, neither current theory makes much sense to me.
If he's gay, it would be much more likely that his para/military police commander father would oppose his son's homosexuality, rather than the mother.
Also, if his mother is opposed to her son being a cop, it would seem that she's protective and worried about him and that she'd want to spend MORE time with him, not less. 

Perhaps before his father joined Internal Affairs, said father was almost killed on the job and his mother made him swear he would never join the force.  Now he's broken his solemn promise and she won't see him until he's quit. All speculation on my part, but it could work dramatically. 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Perhaps before his father joined Internal Affairs, said father was almost killed on the job and his mother made him swear he would never join the force.  Now he's broken his solemn promise and she won't see him until he's quit. All speculation on my part, but it could work dramatically. 

Yes, that seems like it would fit. I wonder if West's Fear of Flying Bullets will factor in as well.

• Love 1
On 12/12/2018 at 10:24 PM, Netfoot said:

My front door is open from 6 AM or earlier, until at least midnight.  Between those times, it only gets shut if I leave home.

Good to know. Where do you live?  LOL Just kidding. I would never leave my door unlocked. I don’t care the location. I guess I watch too much ID and have no desire to become the victim of a “crime if opportunity.”

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, taurusrose said:

Good to know. Where do you live?  LOL Just kidding. I would never leave my door unlocked. I don’t care the location. I guess I watch too much ID and have no desire to become the victim of a “crime if opportunity.”

I always lock wherever I've lived. After reading "In Cold Blood" as a 7th grader, the key element that struck me was that the family was killed because their door was unlocked - a crime of opportunity as you say. So I've always made sure my doors were locked.

I've learned a lot from things that terrified me in books. LOL

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, taurusrose said:

Good to know. Where do you live?  LOL Just kidding.

Please observe the door in question:

steel.thumb.jpg.d44216cf5688c33a1932b9f0096310f0.jpg

Lordy, what a mess!  But anyhow:

Hanging right next to the door, you can see my two-handed Latin machete. 

Right below that, is a small hatchet.

The Royal Kukri machete hangs from the circular saw.

The Barong machete is on top of the pile of cardboard boxes.  (And it has a point sharp enough to pick a splinter with!)

This photo does not show the two other machetes in the room.  Nor the four others between this room and the bedroom.   Nor the 21 knives (and one meat cleaver) which are currently within my reach, as I sit here.  Nor the remainder of the 150+ knives in my collection, distributed around the house.  

Rob my next-door neighbor instead.  He only has a 12-gauge!

Did I mention the savage attack-dog?

• Love 2

Heh, no machetes, shotguns, dogs, or (typically) a locked door here. Just a tiny apartment added onto the back of a small ranch house not updated since the 70s, less than a mile from several square miles of $5+ mil homes, whereas when you walk in here, there's only a 21" TV, a 10-year-old laptop, a 20-year-old metal futon — y'all get the idea: Nothing of value.

But sometimes I do lock it because I don't want some stinky person wandering in and taking a nap on my futon. 

I guess Nolan isn't overly sensitive to odors like I am. Plus, he's armed.

But isn't there some statistic about homeowners who have guns for protection getting them turned on themselves?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I do lock it because I don't want some stinky person wandering in and taking a nap on my futon. 

I lock it too.  When ever I leave home.  Or take a nap.  But when I'm sitting around and the attack dog is on patrol...

• Love 1