Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Miss Cheyenne

(edited)

I am really enjoying this season. Another good crime of week. I liked that the writers drew on real historical events. Nina should have killed the doctors not his sons. 

I had forgotten that Branch was rich. It was nice of him to put up Henry's bail. I know Matthias' problem with Walt, but I must have missed the explanation for why he also dislikes Henry. I really like Matthias though. He is consistent if nothing else.

Good to see that Walt is finally looking at his enemies to figure out who is behind all the death and suffering being inflicted upon him. I think that Cadys' life is in danger.

It made me smile when the nurse hugged an uncomfortable Branch. So is David Ridges alive? I am thinking "yes" and that Branch will catch him eventually.

Oh, I liked Cady's lawyer friend, although I expect he will turn out to be a sleazeball if he sticks around.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

It made me smile when the nurse hugged an uncomfortable Branch.

Branch still hasn't recovered from his injuries. He still has a hollow-eyed, restless look and when he gets up or sits down, it's slowly and stiffly. When the nurse hugged him and later when Cady did it in the bar he looked like he was in really bad pain but hiding it. That kind of thing usually makes me roll my eyes at the big, strong man refusing to succumb to pain, but Branch looks so subdued and vulnerable I feel for him.

Having the hunt for David Ridges seems to be what's holding him together. I hope that gets resolved soon.

• Love 2

I loved seeing the difference between the typical beauty pageant and the Cheyenne Nation pageant. I love that it's about representing their culture in tangible way, demonstrating their skills, and preserving their traditions.

Mr. EB immediately thought the stepmother was the murderer. It was interesting to see Walt realize that maybe the murders weren't about who benefited but who would suffer the most. That doctor was a piece of work though. No remorse at all about what he had done.

I too suspect that Cady's lawyer friend will end up being some kind of jerk later in the season. I don't want his only purpose to be making Branch jealous.

I thought it was sweet how enthusiastic the nurse was when he saw Branch, although I agree that watching Branch try not to wince was painful. I think I was getting sympathy pains for him.

• Love 1
(edited)
I too suspect that Cady's lawyer friend will end up being some kind of jerk later in the season. I don't want his only purpose to be making Branch jealous.

He's kind of the series's Chekov's gun at the moment, isn't he? I thought he was trouble the first time we saw him in court. He oozed "no good." But I hope he's more than just a cockblock for Branch, too.

Vic was really a bull in a china shop at the pageant. I thought her comments about the talent competition were a bit OOC, especially since she's been around long enough to have gained some understanding and respect for the Native American community. And barging through the dancers to find Walt also seemed OOC; was it really so hard to go around? But as long as those two don't hook up, I'll deal with her boorishness.

thought it was sweet how enthusiastic the nurse was when he saw Branch, although I agree that watching Branch try not to wince was painful.

I hope that becomes something of a running joke. First Cady hugs him, then the nurse, next it's...?

Edited by dubbel zout

Another solid show.  The twist of the murder case was interesting, about how it was someone getting back at someone.

Although I have no problem with Walt being involved in Native American affairs (he's lived there a long time, he's a lawman, he knows Henry, etc) it seemed unlikely that they (the other Indians) would have allowed him (a white man) to sit as a judge for one of their special occasions.  I know Henry had no problem with it, but . . .

I do think it's good for this show to give the viewer a look into the life of the Native American.  There's a lot of bad there (poverty, drinking, etc), but they also have some splendid customs.  This is obviously one thing that sets this show apart from all the others on TV.

Yeah, I thought having Vic run through the pageant was inappropriate.  I hope they don't allow her character to become Tony DiNozzi from NCIS -- the cut-up.

Speaking of humor, again Walt delivers with the understated line: "Are you wearing makeup?"  I like how things get said quickly, but are allowed to drop.

• Love 4
(edited)
Although I have no problem with Walt being involved in Native American affairs (he's lived there a long time, he's a lawman, he knows Henry, etc) it seemed unlikely that they (the other Indians) would have allowed him (a white man) to sit as a judge for one of their special occasions

I agree The only thing I could think of was that maybe the rules require that one of the judges be from the town/live off the reservation

so Longmire would have be their second choice anyway if Henry was not available (but if that was the case, my brain should not have to have had to work that hard to make the logic there.)

Did we ever find out what the doctor (the murder victim; the youngest son) was doing in that abandoned barn?

Edited by MaryHedwig

I wondered if Walt was allowed to judge as Henrys "family", continuing the "family is what you feel about each other more than blood" theme they also used at the trial?

I was waiting for everyone to realize again that Branch is loaded, since it was a reoccurring theme last year. I was glad to see Branch offer it so willingly. I hope that the actual loan part remains pure. They have angst a' plenty  on this show, I like Henry as honorable and worth betting your money on. I would hate for them to ruin that just for a plot point.

It seems like they are making Vic more and more unlikeable.  What a ridiculous scene to have her push her way through the contestants. 

This episode was a lot better than last week.  I like that they are highlighting some of the native culture and issues that they faced.

I'm betting that Branch's "ghost" really does turn up alive.  It was nice of him to write that check. 

It looks like Henry is going to bolt, but promos are deceiving, of course.   

I liked this week's episode much better than last weeks, mainly because of the lack of any Walt, Vic innuendo.  But I also liked the crime of the week, which seemed much better paced and involving.  The two Native American women were well played, esp. the judge.  I thought in one episode they both had much more chemistry with Walt than Vic will ever have.  But that's just me.

I appreciate that Branch is still looking ill and isn't running laps yet. It's a little more realistic then some shows.  One thing I caught was the nurse saying that David Ridges gives blood.  If Ridges did shoot Branch, then his blood could have saved him.  That would play more havoc with Branches' thoughts.

The less said about Vic's interruption of the pageant, the better.  Seriously, what was the point?

Looking forward to next week.

• Love 1
(edited)

The pageant was gorgeous and a wonderful example of how young women can celebrate their coming of age without either flaunting their developing bodies or hiding them.

As usual in shows of this nature these days, there was a parallel between the COTW and the hero's story arc. Both had loved ones murdered because the murderer wants to punish the survivor with that loss. Is that the extent of the analogy, or has Walt maybe helped convict someone who was given the death penalty? At Henry's hearing we learn that the death penalty is an option there.

I wondered if Walt was allowed to judge as Henrys "family", continuing the "family is what you feel about each other more than blood" theme they also used at the trial?

Is there any chance that Walt is part Cheyenne? Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

I've not read the books.  And I don't think there's been any mention of Walt being part-Cheyenne on the show.  If that were the case, I'm sure Mathias would have said something about it (in a negative way).

Bailey Chase and the make-up team are doing a great job with Branch's recuperation.  He moves like everything hurts and he still looks hellish, though slightly better than last week.  I'm used to shows where people get grievously injured one week and are hopping around the next like nothing happened.  This is a refreshing change.

The Miss Cheyenne pageant was lovely to see and I too didn't get the point of Vic pushing through the young women.  It isn't like the body was going anywhere and the arena was laid out in a circle; it wouldn't have taken her five minutes to go around.  I really liked Walt's connection with the Native American woman who spoke for Henry.  There was a quiet sense of history between them and if Walt dates her, Matthias's head will explode and I'll enjoy that a lot more than watching Walt and Vic.  I like Matthias but he lost points with me for speaking so vehemently against Henry. 

Cady and Branch still have a lot of awkwardness between them.  Her hug was odd though.  It seemed like she was letting her old friend from college believe she was unavailable.  Branch seemed surprised by it so I guessed they hadn't been hugging a lot lately, what with him trying to strangle her and all.

My attention was not 100% on the TV when this aired, so I'll have to catch one of the re-runs this weekend, but I did enjoy this episode much more than last week's, and I don't think that's just because I wasn't paying attention fully.  

I agree with all the common themes expressed here:  like that Branch's recovery is being portrayed as "gradual" (by TV standards, at least), liked this week's mystery much more, like Matthias because he's a realistic foil for Walt (and not a one-dimensional, twirling mustache antagonist).

I was paying 100% attention during the scene where Vic blunders her way across the arena.  My gut reaction was that they were playing that for laughs ("Oh, that Vic!"), but upon two seconds' worth of reflection it struck me as a completely disrespectful act on her part.  I can't see the writers giving her truly "unlikable" traits, so was this just a miscalculation on their part?

• Love 2
So is David Ridges alive? I am thinking "yes" and that Branch will catch him eventually.

One thing I caught was the nurse saying that David Ridges gives blood.  If Ridges did shoot Branch, then his blood could have saved him.  That would play more havoc with Branches' thoughts.

With the mention of the blood donations, I was thinking that that could be how they were able to find his DNA at the cremation site.  Somebody got the blood and planted it.  Just hope the clinic nurse isn't involved, I loved how happy he was to see Branch up and about!

I'm trying to enjoy seeing Walt and Branch, both whom I adore, but the unrealistic and ridiculous portrayal of Henry awaiting trial in a prison is just too difficult to watch.  Cady should have been pointing out the bruises on Henfry, not covering them up.  I have no patience for this.  Hopefully this silliness is over for now.  

I think it's amazing that with Walt's solve rate on murder that anyone would commit one in his jurisdiction.  They have to know he's going to get them. lol

I'm still confused about the dead guy who tried to kill Branch.  Is he dead?  lol

• Love 1

I don't want to talk the subject to death but it seems nearly everyone here has commented on Vic's "blundering" through the ceremony.  As someone above specifically said: That was disrespectful.  Yet, on the other hand, the show likes to highlight Indian customs (dnd that's a good thing.)  Well, then, why did they let Vic do what she did?  You know, if they had some other character (like a bad guy, or Branch's Dad) do something like that than you could say: Well, see, that person is bad (or is the "typical" white man) and they're being disrespectful.  It would serve the character.

I don't think Vic is stupid.  Maybe she didn't totally understand what the ceremony was.  But she should have realized it was important.  Hell, Walt was serving as a judge.  That should have told her something.

Like someone above said, for a brief second I wondered if they were playing this for laughs.  One thing though: It wasn't funny.  Another thing, if the writers were playing it for laughs than they don't respect the custom either.  And that might be a deeper problem.

• Love 2

I tried to do some research on the claim of sterilizing  Indian women and girls.  Sorry - I did not know anything about it  so wanted to see if it was  a possibility.  Found a site Bioethics Research and there is quite a history of it and documentation.  This is so sad!

Vic's pushing through the dance was just why I can't stand this character - she's a idiot and seems to think her badge outranks any common sense called for in the situation.

I used to enjoy Vic as a character but lately am annoyed. Largely because of the anvils on hooking her and Walt up. Hate that. But also - she was a big time homicide detective in Philly but can't seem to do any police work on her own. She always has to travel with Walt to interview people etc. Branch and Ferg appear to do stuff without a partner - why does she constantly have to be tagging along with Walt?

(edited)

I think part of that is for production purposes—we often don't follow Branch and Ferg when Walt gives them a task—but it is weird that Vic and Walt are the characters most often paired up. It's also kind of insulting to Vic that she can't do anything on her own.

Edited by dubbel zout
(edited)

Good because the ragging on Vic on the main episode threads has gotten old real fast as are the relentless attacks on the woman in any potential relationship while going easy on the man. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

Cady should have been pointing out the bruises on Henfry, not covering them up.

That's what I thought too. Maybe because the judge seemed to be such a dick they figured that bruises would make it seem Henry had been picking fights?
(edited)
Good because the ragging on Vic on the main episode threads has gotten old real fast as are the relentless attacks on the woman in any potential relationship while going easy on the man.

Taking to the Vic thread.

Edited by Ohwell

This was a great episode-- I really enjoyed the COTW, and seeing more of the Native culture is nice. This case was just tragic all the way around. I actually figured out the case before the end of the episode.

Loved Mrs. (Or Ms?) Stillwater and her testimony for Henry.

I wish Vic had been a little more understanding of the Miss Cheyenne pagent, and I'll leave it at that.

Why do I have a sneaking suspicion that Cady is going to end up defending Henry against her classmate as the prosecuter? Where did they go to law school?

HELP!  My DVR recording ended before the final reveal--Who killed the two young doctors??

The former Miss Cheyenne who had been sterilized without her knowledge or consent by the victims' father when he was "volunteering" among the Cheyenne.

To me it was a fascinating concept of justice--more complex than is seen on say, L&O, or CSI when murder is committed for revenge.

Aha!  Since she could have no children, the father lost his.  How sad for them all.  Thanks...

Yes. Perhaps equally sad. Or not.

OT: Rosemadder, if your screen name had a last name, would it be "Genuine" like the watercolor pigment Rose Madder Genuine, or is it a reference to the Stephen King novel, Rose Madder? ;)

I'm trying to figure out why there was a bail hearing at all.  There should have been an extradition hearing, since they tore up the waiver.  Henry was arrested for a murder that happened in Denver.  He will be tried for that murder in Denver, and any decisions regarding bail should be decided by a judge in Denver! The sloppy mistakes irritate me.  For that matter, all the speculation about Cady and her prosecutor ex facing each other in court, while probably accurate, are also completely wrong.  While it's possible Cady has a license to practice law in Colorado, it's unlikely her friend will get a job with the DAs office out there in time to try the case.  I'm curious to see how they handwave all this away and keep the trial in Absaroka County.

This was a solid episode. I didn't really care for how they tied Walt to the pageant or that Vic was so rude, but I think I can ignore that aspect mostly because other than that, the case was a solid and complex one that actually made sense. I truly loved that final scene with the woman that had been sterilized, it was so heartbreaking. Especially when she said the sad thing is that doctor probably doesn't even remember her. And how much did Walt improve in my eyes throughout this episode. First his "how can you ever be certain?" and then his "you need to tell people what happened to you." AND "it will have more impact coming from you." I've been rather hard on Mr. Longmire for his telling everyone they can't break the rules, but then he does it--I may have to forgive him a little.

I think it's amazing that with Walt's solve rate on murder that anyone would commit one in his jurisdiction.  They have to know he's going to get them. lol

I'm still amazed that they have any citizens left in this rural county considering the murder and crime rate we've seen thus far in the series. Shouldn't they all be dead or in prison for committing the murders or other various crimes? I think Wyoming my need to do a good ole fashioned "Move to Wyoming" campaign. ;)

I tried to do some research on the claim of sterilizing  Indian women and girls.  Sorry - I did not know anything about it  so wanted to see if it was  a possibility.  Found a site Bioethics Research and there is quite a history of it and documentation.  This is so sad!

It's a real thing...the Nazi's do not have the market cornered on these sorts of things.

Very good episode. It's hard to feel sorry for someone who committed double homicide, and the sons didn't deserve to die. Still, Nina had my sympathies. DocDad is a monster.

I wondered why Cady didn't just defend Henry, but they were nice enough to answer that by pointing out she is not usually a criminal attorney. Glad Henry is out of jail, for now.

Good to see May Stillwater back. I don't believe she's attached, and I wouldn't mind seeing her relationship with Henry advance at some point. She's a good women.

In my opinion, 'DocDad' unfortunately thought he was doing the right thing for the Indian community by trying to break the cycle of alcohol & pregnancies by age 15.  O/T:  I have a 23-y/o neighbor woman with no steady man who has had a baby every year for 7 yrs. (and of course receives welfare for each child).  Someone asked her why she didn't have a tubal ligation after the last birth.  She responded that the doctors thought she was too young.  Just food for thought.

Shapeshifter--yes & yes :)  Very astute of you.

• Love 1
(edited)

In my opinion, 'DocDad' unfortunately thought he was doing the right thing for the Indian community by trying to break the cycle of alcohol & pregnancies by age 15.

Exactly. They did an excellent job on the COTW, IMO.

It seems we were all befuddled by Vic's behavior at the ceremony--heck, it's the scene entrance that launched a million posts on other threads--but maybe it was just supposed to mirror the DocDad's attitude of believing he was doing what was right for society, and never mind trampling cultural traditions or individual's agency while he was at it.

Shapeshifter--yes & yes :) Very astute of you.

Both?? Not so much astute as: What are the odds that 2 posters with such disparate interests would be discussing a third interest? Heh. Actually, any landscape artist should love this show.

ETA more OT: I love the fragrance of the watercolor Rose Madder Genuine.

Edited by shapeshifter

I'm trying to figure out why there was a bail hearing at all.  There should have been an extradition hearing, since they tore up the waiver.  Henry was arrested for a murder that happened in Denver.  He will be tried for that murder in Denver, and any decisions regarding bail should be decided by a judge in Denver! The sloppy mistakes irritate me.  For that matter, all the speculation about Cady and her prosecutor ex facing each other in court, while probably accurate, are also completely wrong.  While it's possible Cady has a license to practice law in Colorado, it's unlikely her friend will get a job with the DAs office out there in time to try the case.  I'm curious to see how they handwave all this away and keep the trial in Absaroka County.

I'm confused about this whole Henry thing too. Wasn't he arrested for a crime that occurred in Denver? Colorado? Why isn't he being extradited to Denver (you'd think that Denver detective--can't remember his name--would be all over that since it was so crucial to find the addict's killer), and why is Mathias testifying? Sure, he arrested Henry but on the say-so of the Denver guy after serving a search warrant at the Red Pony. I truly adore this show but the unrealistic nature of this Henry storyline pulls me out every time.

• Love 1

In a strange coincidence, the day after this episode aired, I stumbled across a mini powwow with three drummers and about twenty dancers. There were a few other people like me who didn't know any if them and were standing off to the side watching. We all somehow managed not to walk into the circle or be disruptive.

I know Vic was in a hurry to reach Walt but it seemed so odd that she wouldn't just walk around the perimeter of the circle. She's newer to the area than other people but I don't recall her being completely clueless about how to be polite in the past. I don't think she would try to walk through the floor of a ballroom dancing competition either so that moment struck me as really odd.

• Love 3
I wondered why Cady didn't just defend Henry, but they were nice enough to answer that by pointing out she is not usually a criminal attorney.

Gee, that plot sounds familiar. Maybe the crime can be blamed on urban yoots? Quick...someone go find Joe Pesci and Marissa Tomei -- and dig up Fred Gwynne!

• Love 1

Re the sterilization topic, the Native Americans in all the Americas (Canada, US and South America) were all abused in one way or another by the white man quest to conquer the land he "discovered".

It really is a horrible legacy. It's frightening. 

I wish A & E would promote this show more.